Artist of the Week 10.18.2014-- Bob Dylan

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Re: Artist of the Week 10.18.2014-- Bob Dylan

Post by cortez the killer »

Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks - The New York Sessions is featured over on Aquarium Drunkard.

* Is that the infamous coffee table Steve Earle wants to stand on?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Bob Dylan Recorded 'Like a Rolling Stone' 50 Years Ago Today
A complete history of the song that transformed Dylan from folkie to rock God

Fifty years ago, Bob Dylan recorded the song we named the best of all time: "Like a Rolling Stone."
Michael Ochs Archives/Getty

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Bob Dylan Recorded 'Like a Rolling Stone' 50 Years Ago Today
A complete history of the song that transformed Dylan from folkie to rock God

Fifty years ago, Bob Dylan recorded the song we named the best of all time: "Like a Rolling Stone."
Michael Ochs Archives/Getty
"The song hit shelves on July 20th, just days before the Newport Folk Festival where Dylan played the song live as part of his first-ever electric set, which is a well-worn story that's been the subject of entire books.'

Funny comment since a whole book has been written about the song: Like a Rolling Stone by Greil Marcus. Worth reading by obsessives and those curious about the music making process, particularly how genius gets translated to releasable music.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Tomorrow marks the 50th anniversary.

The Night Bob Dylan Went Electric

Newport 1964: Robert Shelton introduces Dylan to the fiddler Clayton McMichen
Joe Alper Photo Collection

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

New Bootleg Series coming with '65-'66 rare and unreleased stuff (biabh, hwy 61, bob). Hell yes.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

http://pitchfork.com/news/61338-bob-dyl ... m-1965-66/
Bob Dylan will issue the 12th volume of his long-running Bootleg Series this year, Ultimate Classic Rock reports. The Cutting Edge 1965-1966: The Bootleg Series Vol. 12 is out November 6 and will feature demos, alternative versions, and outtakes from the Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, and Blonde on Blonde.

The new bootleg edition will be available in 2xCD, 6xCD, and 18xCD editions. It's expected to feature an early plugged-in version of “Mr. Tambourine Man”, “Visions of Johanna” with alternate lyrics, and a comprehensive look at the “Like a Rolling Stone” sessions. The Band appear on some early versions of Blonde on Blonde tracks—songs that were later recorded with Nashville musicians.

The previous Bootleg Series volume documented Dylan and the Band's complete Basement Tapes.
:shock:

Kudzu Guillotine

First Listen: Bob Dylan, 'The Cutting Edge 1965-1966: The Bootleg Series Vol. 12'

Bob Dylan's new compilation, The Cutting Edge 1965-1966: The Bootleg Series Vol. 12, comes out Nov. 5.
Don Hunstein/Courtesy of the artist

Kudzu Guillotine

Bob Dylan's Secret Archive

Bob Dylan working in a room above the Cafe Espresso in Woodstock, N.Y., in 1964, left. On the right are items from his archive.
Credit Douglas R. Gilbert, left; via the Bob Dylan Archive, right.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Random question: on Dylan sites I often see references to "copyright extension releases"? Anyone know what that refers to?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Duke Silver wrote:Random question: on Dylan sites I often see references to "copyright extension releases"? Anyone know what that refers to?
After so long, recordings become part of the public domain unless they've been released. I'm sure there's more to it than that but that's how I understand it.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Smitty wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:Random question: on Dylan sites I often see references to "copyright extension releases"? Anyone know what that refers to?
After so long, recordings become part of the public domain unless they've been released. I'm sure there's more to it than that but that's how I understand it.
I get that, but what are they? The completist in me needs to know if I can buy it, basically.

Kudzu Guillotine

From Fallen Angels, due May 20th.

Kudzu Guillotine

Ranking: Every Bob Dylan Album From Worst to Best
Come gather 'round people, as we sort through the most legendary catalog in history

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

All lists are designed to start discussion and this one is no exception. I think they get a lot right here. With the exception of Time Out of Mind at #8, a record I don't like at all, they get the top 10 right, albeit in a different order than I would put them as I don't think anything comes close to Blood on the Tracks, but I think underrates several of his records pretty badly. First I would probably put Planet Waves in the top 10 replacing Time Out of Mind but I think it really misses the boat with Infidels and Empire Burlesque both of which would be in my top 20 but are rated here 27 and 32 respectively. I'm not a fan of Dylan's late 90's to mid Aughts work like so many are so admittedly that's a a bias but Infidels would almost crack the top 10 for me as along with Blood on the Tracks it's my most listened to Dylan record. Still it does have it's production flaws and the omission of Blind Willie McTell was a serious mistake so it falls just out of the running. Empire Burlesque is not a great record but it does have one of my favorite tracks in When the Night Comes Falling From the Sky and I don't really find a clunker on the thing. All in all though this was a good attempt at an impossible task and a great read.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I've never been able to understand why Planet Waves isn't considered an absolute gem.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

sactochris wrote:I've never been able to understand why Planet Waves isn't considered an absolute gem.
Incredible record. For sure top ten.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Ranking: Every Bob Dylan Album From Worst to Best
Come gather 'round people, as we sort through the most legendary catalog in history

I'm very familiar with about a half dozen Dylan albums, but the rest are pretty fuzzy even hough I've heard them once or twice. (I've outright skipped the Jesus albums and the holiday shtick). Someday I really need to do the chronological listening thing with Dylan and get to know the eras and progression better.
Beebs is not a ragey man

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Beebs wrote:

I'm very familiar with about a half dozen Dylan albums, but the rest are pretty fuzzy even hough I've heard them once or twice. (I've outright skipped the Jesus albums and the holiday shtick). Someday I really need to do the chronological listening thing with Dylan and get to know the eras and progression better.

The jesus albums are well worth listening to.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
sactochris wrote:I've never been able to understand why Planet Waves isn't considered an absolute gem.
Incredible record. For sure top ten.

Desire is in my top ten as well.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Beebs wrote:

I spent all of 2015 doing that and found it very worthwhile. Spent 1-2 weeks with each album. At the very least, give the Jesus albums a shot. There's some good shit on each of them, musically and even lyrically.

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

I like the jesus albums, especially Slow Train. And I really, really think he needs to release a "Bootleg series" record from the Gospel era. The performances are impassioned and almost uniformly strong.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Duke Silver wrote: I spent all of 2015 doing that and found it very worthwhile. Spent 1-2 weeks with each album. At the very least, give the Jesus albums a shot. There's some good shit on each of them, musically and even lyrically.
Spending a couple weeks with an older record is a great thing to do. You always come away with something new.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Duke Silver wrote: At the very least, give the Jesus albums a shot. There's some good shit on each of them, musically and even lyrically.
To clarify, I have skipped them up to this point only due to having to make choices about what I'm going to spend finite listening time on. It's big body of work and sometimes I find prolific artists daunting. They (jesus albums, all of it) are on the when I get a round to it list and definitely would be part of a chronological geek out.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Beebs wrote:
Duke Silver wrote: At the very least, give the Jesus albums a shot. There's some good shit on each of them, musically and even lyrically.
To clarify, I have skipped them up to this point only due to having to make choices about what I'm going to spend finite listening time on. It's big body of work and sometimes I find prolific artists daunting. They (jesus albums, all of it) are on the when I get a round to it list and definitely would be part of a chronological geek out.
It's nearly impossible, at least for me, to do a deep dive into prolific artist's catalogs. Dylan, Neil Young, The Rolling Stones and a few others were easy for me because I did the deep dives in the late seventies and early eighties when they weren't so deep and then periodically went back to a record or two I felt I was neglecting. The other thinkg is sometimes I think the impact is so much different when you go back and listen to a 40 year old album for the first time without the context of the time and all that. Sometimes though it turns out very worthwhile.

Kudzu Guillotine

If the reports I'm reading are accurate, this came at the end of "Lovesick." After several cuts from Fallen Angels, fans were hollering for Dylan to play some rock n' roll. They got it.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:If the reports I'm reading are accurate, this came at the end of "Lovesick." After several cuts from Fallen Angels, fans were hollering for Dylan to play some rock n' roll. They got it.

This was reported on a Dead board by someone who was at Berkeley & Eugene, for what it's worth:

You know what's funny? At the Eugene show I heard a guy up towards the front yelling "freebird!!" Over & over during the show... I mean, it's a semi common occurance at pretty much any rock concert, but who knows, maybe Dylan took it to heart. Or maybe That was Dylan's version of trolling the guy. "Ha ha fucker, I actually played it in Berkeley"
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

well deserved & a long time coming!

https://www.theguardian.com/books/live/ ... 6-liveblog