Share a song you love right now

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

WarHenRecords

Re: Share a song you love right now

Post by WarHenRecords »

This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

allisonsdc wrote:
Thanks for that! I really liked it.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

WarHenRecords wrote:
Haven't thought about these guys in a while. I've always dug their stuff.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Ragnarok - Foam of the Sea (excellent early 70s Swedish prog/psych; RIYL Pink Floyd etc)
https://youtu.be/bmkUo9F3ZU4?t=8m07s

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Swamp wrote:
WarHenRecords wrote:
Haven't thought about these guys in a while. I've always dug their stuff.
I hadn't either but the record store where I pull some shifts had If I Could See Dallas sitting in the used bin.
Have listened to it a bunch. Nice to rediscover this stuff!
Very cool music with a very unique approach to recording and creating their sound. Inspiring, even.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Listen only if you want it stuck in your head for weeks.
Dave

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

fuck yeah
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I love this song, and I love seeing this guy get blown away by the creator dropping in to perform it with him:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

tinnitus photography

this song is awesome.

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

tinnitus photography

Grails has delivered another masterpiece. _Chalice Hymnal_ is an amazing, beautiful record.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

ford911

Post by ford911 »

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

fuck yeah
Holy shit

whatwouldcooleydo?

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Vincent wrote:

Listen only if you want it stuck in your head for weeks.
yes!

whatwouldcooleydo?

tinnitus photography

this is such a simple, beautiful song.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

whatwouldcooleydo?

Absolute love at first sight for me with this song! Fell in love with it back when it came out and, if anything, I feel even more strongly about it now. Easily one of my very favorite Petty songs, and that's saying something. After Full Moon Fever, I feel that his "hits," as great of songs as they are, feel to me as if they were made from a template in which he puts in specific details and then the "Tom Petty hit making machine" makes the song. This song is refreshingly not of the template, IMHO, and it's just a priceless gem. Seems that with the soundtrack to She's the One he/they didn't feel the pressure of needing hits (especially coming off the tidal wave of success that had just come before with Wildflowers) so they just let it ride and did what they wanted to do (as seen by the cover of Changed the Locks and Asshole (Beck)).

I'm a total sucker for the overall George Harrison/Byrds/ELO feel of the song, but what really pushes this into another completely different level for meis the Lindsey Buckingham backing vocals. I totally love sweet sounding backing harmonies and this song has some of my very favorite backing vocals ever. To me Lindsey is what takes an already great song and makes it something for the ages. The little rise in his voice at around the 4:29 mark in the video is heavenly!

Below is a live performance on Letterman. I include it to show just how different the song is without my beloved backing vocals from Lindsey. I also included it because of the short but oh-so fucking sweet Mike Campbell solo

And for the record, if there was a draft for starting my perfect rock band, Benmont Tench will be picked 1000 out of 1000 times, and Mike Campbell wouldn't be far behind.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Absolute love at first sight for me with this song! Fell in love with it back when it came out and, if anything, I feel even more strongly about it now. Easily one of my very favorite Petty songs, and that's saying something. After Full Moon Fever, I feel that his "hits," as great of songs as they are, feel to me as if they were made from a template in which he puts in specific details and then the "Tom Petty hit making machine" makes the song. This song is refreshingly not of the template, IMHO, and it's just a priceless gem. Seems that with the soundtrack to She's the One he/they didn't feel the pressure of needing hits (especially coming off the tidal wave of success that had just come before with Wildflowers) so they just let it ride and did what they wanted to do (as seen by the cover of Changed the Locks and Asshole (Beck)).

I'm a total sucker for the overall George Harrison/Byrds/ELO feel of the song, but what really pushes this into another completely different level for meis the Lindsey Buckingham backing vocals. I totally love sweet sounding backing harmonies and this song has some of my very favorite backing vocals ever. To me Lindsey is what takes an already great song and makes it something for the ages. The little rise in his voice at around the 4:29 mark in the video is heavenly!

Below is a live performance on Letterman. I include it to show just how different the song is without my beloved backing vocals from Lindsey. I also included it because of the short but oh-so fucking sweet Mike Campbell solo

And for the record, if there was a draft for starting my perfect rock band, Benmont Tench will be picked 1000 out of 1000 times, and Mike Campbell wouldn't be far behind.

Not disagreeing with anything you said......But, let's be careful not to act like Tom's hits aren't great songs.

Chet Atkins, Buddy Killen and a few of those Nashville folks in the 1960's-1980's get a little for shit for having a formula. Their formula might have taken country music in a different direction but most of the songs they influenced or worked on are great.

whatwouldcooleydo?

jr29 wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Absolute love at first sight for me with this song! Fell in love with it back when it came out and, if anything, I feel even more strongly about it now. Easily one of my very favorite Petty songs, and that's saying something. After Full Moon Fever, I feel that his "hits," as great of songs as they are, feel to me as if they were made from a template in which he puts in specific details and then the "Tom Petty hit making machine" makes the song. This song is refreshingly not of the template, IMHO, and it's just a priceless gem. Seems that with the soundtrack to She's the One he/they didn't feel the pressure of needing hits (especially coming off the tidal wave of success that had just come before with Wildflowers) so they just let it ride and did what they wanted to do (as seen by the cover of Changed the Locks and Asshole (Beck)).

Not disagreeing with anything you said......But, let's be careful not to act like Tom's hits aren't great songs.

Chet Atkins, Buddy Killen and a few of those Nashville folks in the 1960's-1980's get a little for shit for having a formula. Their formula might have taken country music in a different direction but most of the songs they influenced or worked on are great.
(1) which is why I said this: I feel that his "hits," as great of songs as they are, feel to me as if they were made from a template

(2) busting myself for that terrible use of "feel" twice in that sentence :lol: Too lazy to fix it

jr29

Post by jr29 »

jr29 wrote:

(1) which is why I said this: I feel that his "hits," as great of songs as they are, feel to me as if they were made from a template

(2) busting myself for that terrible use of "feel" twice in that sentence :lol: Too lazy to fix it
You are absolutely right. All apologies, my friend.

whatwouldcooleydo?

jr29 wrote:You are absolutely right. All apologies, my friend.
No need to apologize, it's all good. I should have been more clear: when I refer to Petty having a formula/template, I mean that at times I have thought it's like he has a Mad Lib template in which he only has to put in certain words/names/places and then voila, the computer pops out a standard Tom Petty hit (a la Don't Come Around Here No More, Mary Jane's Last Dance, et al) :lol:

Here's another Petty deep cut that I absolutely love! In a perfect world this one would be a hit.

Such a beautiful song. These lyrics kill me:

I keep wakin' up all by myself
With a bluejay in my brain
Flappin' his wings, makin' me sing
It was just about to rain

and then also:

Ridin' with my mamma
To Glen Springs Pool
The water was cold
My lips were blue
There was rock and roll
Across the dial
When I think of her
It makes me smile

jr29

Post by jr29 »

jr29 wrote:You are absolutely right. All apologies, my friend.
No need to apologize, it's all good. I should have been more clear: when I refer to Petty having a formula/template, I mean that at times I have thought it's like he has a Mad Lib template in which he only has to put in certain words/names/places and then voila, the computer pops out a standard Tom Petty hit (a la Don't Come Around Here No More, Mary Jane's Last Dance, et al) :lol:

Here's another Petty deep cut that I absolutely love! In a perfect world this one would be a hit.

Such a beautiful song. These lyrics kill me:

I keep wakin' up all by myself
With a bluejay in my brain
Flappin' his wings, makin' me sing
It was just about to rain

and then also:

Ridin' with my mamma
To Glen Springs Pool
The water was cold
My lips were blue
There was rock and roll
Across the dial
When I think of her
It makes me smile
The live version from the Anthology cd is really, really great too.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Walls is a Top 5 Petty song for me. I definitely prefer the No. 2 version to the Circus version.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Here are a couple of my favorite Petty tunes.

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

This has been stuck in my head since I heard it a week ago. Off the incoming new album.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young