Sturgill Simpson Thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

walthers

Re: Sturgill Simpson Thread

Post by walthers »

Third times the charm, got two tickets directly in front of the soundboard during the Tyler Childers presale today.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

a day later, i needed another ticket for my friend's sister. i went in on the sturgill presale & shockingly there was a ticket next to the 2 i already had in second row! they are off to side a bit but that doesn't matter. glad they asked me today as i'm sure it would've been gone when the general sale started.

walthers

Post by walthers »

Any of you Denver folks looking for tickets, there were two more presales today, password KENTUCKY or HOUSEFIRE and there are a few floor seats that have been sitting there since ten. Only catch is you have to have an AM EX to buy them, won't take VISA or MasterCard.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

I expected him to add shows in places like Knoxville where the small arenas sold out quickly, like Knoxville, but another night at Bridgestone Arena? Holy shit. Bought a floor general admission ticket for it, one of my most anticipated shows in a long time.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

He added a second show in Minneapolis, but that's probably the smallest venue on this tour (7-8K).

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Iowan wrote:He added a second show in Minneapolis, but that's probably the smallest venue on this tour (7-8K).
The Met in Philly has a capacity of 3500. The Anthem in DC is bigger than the Met and smaller than the Minneapolis venue. He’s doing 2 shows at the Anthem.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

walthers

Post by walthers »

I'm not a promoter but they must do a lot of work on figuring out the markets for venue size he will play in what city. Seems like some are small and others over 20,000. The whole thing is pretty interesting.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

he's playing the biggest igloo in Nunavut.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

I'm likely 3 years late to the party on this, but this is gold!

Also, what the fuck is a Cole Swindell???
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

roland

Post by roland »

Killed me to have to skip going to at least one of two shows in NC, but we just spent a grand on vacation, I got new AirPods, and my job just nut punched me out of a tank of gas a week (I live in my car for a living.)

Y'all have fun. :|

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

out of curiousity i checked to see how tickets sales were for the gorge in washington. also wanted to compare to black crowes. sturgill is selling huge. the venue is listed as 27500 but with the reserved seats in front of the stage it might be a bit less than that. crowes playing smaller venue, 16000 & only about a quarter to a third of the seats are sold. crowes charging more too

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

Ugh. Don’t ask questions like that, man. Cole Swindell is from Dawson Georgia which is about twenty minutes down the road from me. He makes horrible bro country type music. Put it this way, I saw like three songs worth of him by accident in a local bar back around 2006 or so. If you had told me that night that he would end up with a music careerI would have just laughed. He didn’t even seem good by local act standards. Still doesn’t as far as I’m concerned.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Wasn't Cole Swindell an American Idol contestant?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Cole Younger wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

Ugh. Don’t ask questions like that, man. Cole Swindell is from Dawson Georgia which is about twenty minutes down the road from me. He makes horrible bro country type music. Put it this way, I saw like three songs worth of him by accident in a local bar back around 2006 or so. If you had told me that night that he would end up with a music careerI would have just laughed. He didn’t even seem good by local act standards. Still doesn’t as far as I’m concerned.
Is he in Florida Georgia Line? I had the misfortune to see those guys on Seth Meyers (he does seem to get a lot of the cheesy country acts). They offended me in a they were everything that is wrong with Nashville right down to their $500 pre ripped jeans & pseudo hip hop pony tails. I see they are on the Chesney fest this year (what the hell is Michael Franti doing on that bill?). Bad Jimmy Buffett tribute show, sounds fun. Not!

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:Wasn't Cole Swindell an American Idol contestant?
I don’t know, Zip. That would sure go along with the rest of it. What I remember about him from when he used to live around here, which is most of what I know about him, is that he followed Luke Bryan around. Luke Bryan is also from close by. We have a disproportionate number of horrible country music acts from around here. Anyway, after Luke Bryan hit it big in Nashville (he seems like an American Idol contestant to me) he came back here a lot in those early days of his fame and performed at some local bars. What little I remember about that is thinking Luke Bryan sounded like a dog with peanut butter stuck to the roof of his mouth, And Cole Swindell was like one of those little fish that swims around right under a shark and feeds on the scraps left over from whatever the shark eats. As drunk girls fawned all over Luke Bryan, Cole Swindell was there to tell the ones not getting much attention, “I sing too. Me and Luke are friends.”
Last edited by Cole Younger on Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

There’s a Chesney festival? There are things I had just as soon not know.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Cole Younger wrote:There’s a Chesney festival? There are things I had just as soon not know.
It's been going on several years. Every summer he does a round of stadium shows with a bill of similar lame country artists. He makes huge money off it. Now he's got a thing going like the parrotheads. No accounting for taste....

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

chuckrh wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:There’s a Chesney festival? There are things I had just as soon not know.
It's been going on several years. Every summer he does a round of stadium shows with a bill of similar lame country artists. He makes huge money off it. Now he's got a thing going like the parrotheads. No accounting for taste....
To serve as further proof of our white-trash bonafides, due to a family friend who is like Chesney's right hand man we annually get cases of the backstage merchandise (mostly hard plastic cups/plates/etc) w/logo from the tour. I'm also a fan of plastic flamingos , velvet Elvises and airbrushed tank-tops, for the record.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

To serve as further proof of our white-trash bonafides, due to a family friend who is like Chesney's right hand man we annually get cases of the backstage merchandise (mostly hard plastic cups/plates/etc) w/logo from the tour. I'm also a fan of plastic flamingos , velvet Elvises and airbrushed tank-tops, for the record.[/quote]

Official Chesney toilet paper I hope?

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

chuckrh wrote:Live Nation is going all out promoting the tour in the US. I saw a TV commercial tonight about the general on sale. Tyler Childers seems to be rocketing up now too. He just played a big theater here & there was a ticket crunch. Looking forward to the show, think Sturgill is going to go for the gusto. Wouldn't be surprised if he did the whole new record. I just watched the anime finally last night. I'm no expert on that but it was pretty good. I certainly like the music plenty. It sure ain't country, haha.
I’m watching the Sound and Fury film now. Wow!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Beaverdam wrote:
chuckrh wrote:Live Nation is going all out promoting the tour in the US. I saw a TV commercial tonight about the general on sale. Tyler Childers seems to be rocketing up now too. He just played a big theater here & there was a ticket crunch. Looking forward to the show, think Sturgill is going to go for the gusto. Wouldn't be surprised if he did the whole new record. I just watched the anime finally last night. I'm no expert on that but it was pretty good. I certainly like the music plenty. It sure ain't country, haha.
I’m watching the Sound and Fury film now. Wow!
I've watched it twice. Very well done. I really like the record a lot & the visuals work well with it. Will be interesting to see how it's handled on the tour. Sturgill did a few small benefit shows when the record came out & did the whole record straight through during the set. I'd be good with that!

Clams

Post by Clams »

https://uproxx.com/indie/sturgill-simps ... fury-tour/

Steven Hyden's new interview with Sturgill. Really good. Fuck London, fuck all the thirsty bitches, and fuck the label!
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Sturgill was recently a guest on the Trillbillies podcast. I really enjoyed the interview, laughed out loud several times.

https://soundcloud.com/user-972848621-4 ... ll-simpson

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

rlipps wrote:Sturgill was recently a guest on the Trillbillies podcast. I really enjoyed the interview, laughed out loud several times.

Was literally coming to post the same. Love those Trillbillies.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

This just might be the best thing on the internet right now.
Ol’ King Turd can boogie.

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Clams wrote:https://uproxx.com/indie/sturgill-simps ... fury-tour/

Steven Hyden's new interview with Sturgill. Really good. Fuck London, fuck all the thirsty bitches, and fuck the label!
great article. sturgill is just surly. i like it! going to see him in may. looks like it was a good move!

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

brettac1 wrote:
rlipps wrote:Sturgill was recently a guest on the Trillbillies podcast. I really enjoyed the interview, laughed out loud several times.

The Trillbillies are based about an hour or so east of me, so I've saw them at several shows in Whitesburg, KY. They are good friends with Lee Bains and the Glory Fires, and actually opened for them the last time I saw them back in September in Lexington, KY.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

rlipps wrote:
brettac1 wrote:

The Trillbillies are based about an hour or so east of me, so I've saw them at several shows in Whitesburg, KY. They are good friends with Lee Bains and the Glory Fires, and actually opened for them the last time I saw them back in September in Lexington, KY.
Awesome. I have been a big fan/patron of them for quite a while. Did you catch any of the shows they did with Street Fight, too? (Can’t recall if they were in Lexington with them or not)
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Clams wrote:https://uproxx.com/indie/sturgill-simps ... fury-tour/

Man with Sturgill the more you know the less you know.