Sturgill Simpson Thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: Sturgill Simpson Thread

Post by Iowan »

I didn’t want this to be honky tonk.

I wanted this to be the rifftastic ZZ Top homage it’s been touted as. It’s really just the synth I don’t like. It neuters the edges of these songs and just sounds cheesy.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:Counterpoint: People like me (who don't love honky tonk country) might now be jumping on the bandwagon with this album. Sure, it sounds more Black Keys than country, but I dig the hell out of it
I’m glad, Zip. And it’s not that I think he is t allowed to make anything besides honky tonk country. I was one of the few here that was excited about this album based on what he released from it early. And Sailor’s Guide is not honky tonk country and I like it. I just don’t really like most of this. At least not right now. Like i said i can see how these songs might sound great live. I like the Black Keys too. I can’t say I’ve listened to them that much the last few years but that’s mostly just a case of so much music and so little time. If I never like this album that’s not the end of the world. But he’s been my favorite artist of the last several years so it will be disappointing if I come to think of him the same way that I think of MyMorni g Jacket which is, oh well, I’ll always have the early stuff.
I get it. It's how I feel about the Avett Brothers right now. They've morphed into something that is barely recognizable from their early days, but hey, they've gained a ton of fans by doing so, so good for them I guess. They've just left some early fans behind.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

The thing i don't like about the album is there is not a distinct break between the tracks. They just morph right into the next. Other than that nit pick... I'm all Homer SImpson on this effort.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Iowan wrote:I didn’t want this to be honky tonk.

I wanted this to be the rifftastic ZZ Top homage it’s been touted as. It’s really just the synth I don’t like. It neuters the edges of these songs and just sounds cheesy.
Same. I was anticipating more of a rock and roll sound. Just too much synth.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I just watched the first half of the anime movie on Netflix that goes along with the record. Let's just say I'm way too sober for it. Will have to revisit tonight after I've had a few.
If you don't run you rust

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Clams wrote:I just watched the first half of the anime movie on Netflix that goes along with the record. Let's just say I'm way too sober for it. Will have to revisit tonight after I've had a few.
some devils lettuce will hope set the head for the anime movie. :geek:

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

bovine knievel wrote:
Clams wrote:I just watched the first half of the anime movie on Netflix that goes along with the record. Let's just say I'm way too sober for it. Will have to revisit tonight after I've had a few.
some devils lettuce will hope set the head for the anime movie. :geek:
perhaps a small stem or cap to enhance the colors.

roland

Post by roland »

Listened twice, and am now watching the film. There’s gonna be some pissed off country fans. Sturgill done made him a dance record!

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

roland wrote:Listened twice, and am now watching the film. There’s gonna be some pissed off country fans. Sturgill done made him a dance record!
This. ...well at least after only 1 listen. Just picked it up today. Total dance party. So far, meh. Maybe that'll change...

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

It’s growing on me

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

There were a few times listening when I was like Damn that sounds like something I’ve heard before. And then it hit me. There are parts that remind me of the last Queens of the Stone Age album.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

roland wrote:Listened twice, and am now watching the film. There’s gonna be some pissed off country fans. Sturgill done made him a dance record!
Meh. As beantownbubba once asked, if Sturgill Simpson isn’t a country singer then what is he?

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Just watched the Netflix movie and now I get why there are no gaps between the tracks.

roland

Post by roland »

Cole Younger wrote:
Meh. As beantownbubba once asked, if Sturgill Simpson isn’t a country singer then what is he?
An artist?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

roland wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
An artist?
I’d say Merle Haggard was very much an artist. Willie Nelson seems like one too.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Cole Younger wrote:
Iowan wrote:I didn’t want this to be honky tonk.

Same. I was anticipating more of a rock and roll sound. Just too much synth.
it would have been pretty rad for SS to sneak in a track 0/hidden track on the CD that was a Screamers cover.

i am intrigued about this record and shall summon it via the Spotify now.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

bovine knievel wrote:There were a few times listening when I was like Damn that sounds like something I’ve heard before. And then it hit me. There are parts that remind me of the last Queens of the Stone Age album.
Funny that he said he wanted this to hit like a Wu Tang record. After a small number of listens there are a few moments that have reminded me of very specific moments on GZA’s Liquid Swords album. Whether or not that’s good depends on whether or not you like The Genius, I do, and whether or not you want the same thing out of Sturgill Simpson, I really don’t.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

After a few proper listening sessions, along with watching the anime, it made me realize that this album should not be a surprise. The last few times I saw Sturgill live, his shows came nowhere near a country sound. He’s been heading this way for awhile and he’s now out of the closet.
Last edited by bovine knievel on Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

alex jones opens the record.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I want a gift card from God

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

bovine knievel wrote:After a few proper listening sessions, along with watching the anime, it made me realize that this album should not be a surprise. The last few times I saw Sturgill live, his shows came nowhere near a country sound. He’s been heading this way for awhile and he’s now out of the closet.
Not a surprise at all. He talked about doing this one day as far back as the High atop Mountain days. I just thought I would like it more when he did.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

It’s been over a year since I last saw Sturgill in person, but as some have noted his music was definitely trending in this direction. After a couple listens I doubt I’ll play this one as much as his previous records, but on the other hand I bet some of these songs will absolutely sizzle live.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

On first listen Friday, I liked it. After 5 or 6 listens over the weekend, including at full volume on my way home from the Glory Fires show Saturday night to keep me awake, I love this album. I was skeptical after hearing the first single, but I'm really, really digging it and the synths don't bother me as much as I feared. The standouts to me so far are Remember to Breathe, Last Man Standing & Mercury in Retrograde. Can't wait to hear these live, according to the NYT article, tour will start around February.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

rlipps wrote:On first listen Friday, I liked it. After 5 or 6 listens over the weekend, including at full volume on my way home from the Glory Fires show Saturday night to keep me awake, I love this album. I was skeptical after hearing the first single, but I'm really, really digging it and the synths don't bother me as much as I feared. The standouts to me so far are Remember to Breathe, Last Man Standing & Mercury in Retrograde. Can't wait to hear these live, according to the NYT article, tour will start around February.
Have you watched the anime? I'm with you on the standouts too. 8-)

Stoked to see him tomorrow night.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I think Fastest Horse in Town and Make Art, Not Friends are my favorite.

I haven't done a faster 180 on an album than this one.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Iowan wrote:I think Fastest Horse in Town and Make Art, Not Friends are my favorite.

I didn't have to do a 180 but I did stop, scratch my head, and then turned it up. These songs are gonna rip live.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

bovine knievel wrote:
Iowan wrote:I think Fastest Horse in Town and Make Art, Not Friends are my favorite.

I didn't have to do a 180 but I did stop, scratch my head, and then turned it up. These songs are gonna rip live.
I think I've seen some of these live.

I saw him last summer. It was a power trio set, and he just fucking shredded. I didn't recognize half of what he played, but didn't care because it was so fucking good. They were totally in the same vein as what's on Sound & Fury.

The synth threw me for a big loop. When I saw him live, it was guitar, drum, bass. Perfect, really. I've gotten over the synth quick, and even come to appreciate it on some tracks.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

He was on Joe Rogan yesterday. Looking forward to hearing what he says about the new album and everything that went into it if nothing else. This album just ain’t for me. But that’s fine.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Making Trans four albums in is a bold strategy, let’s see if it pays off for him
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Cole Younger wrote:He was on Joe Rogan yesterday. Looking forward to hearing what he says about the new album and everything that went into it if nothing else. This album just ain’t for me. But that’s fine.
Announced the US Tour will include Tyler Childers.