Sturgill Simpson Thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

'Scratch

Sunday Valley - To the Wind and Onto Heaven - where find?

Post by 'Scratch »

Hey all,

Thanks again to the excellent taste of this board I'm digging on Sturgill Simpson. I really like the way Metamodern kind of ties together Gram Parson's ideas about Cosmic American music with the gritty timber of the Outlaw set. Not that this is what it's actually about. I just like the blend.

A friend recently asked me if I knew where to get To the Wind and Onto Heaven and it looks like it's out of print. Does anyone have any sources?

Thanks.
Not forever, just for now.

dee dee

Re: Sunday Valley - To the Wind and Onto Heaven - where find

Post by dee dee »

From Tigger at SavingCountrymusic.com in the comment section

The Sunday Valley album is purposely out-of-print and a purposeful campaign to make it such was undertaken at some point. It may be so the Sturgill can properly re-release it in the future. I don’t know. If I hear anything about the release, I will do my best to let everyone know.

I can't find it at Soulseek and usually can find about anything there

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/the-metamodern-rise-of-sturgill-simpson-a-timeline

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

I've been trying to find it myself and all I've come up with is one song off the record, "Never Go To Town Again," which is quite good.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

There's also this one - and it's enough to make me want to hunt it down. In fact, there's a fair amount of stuff on YouTube. Thanks guys.

Not forever, just for now.

rlipps

Sturgill Simpson Thread

Post by rlipps »

Apologies if there's already a thread for Sturgill, but if there is, I couldn't find it. He gets a lot of love around here, and I can only imagine that will increase once he opens the 3-night SF run for DBT in Nov. I'll start off by posting a link to his website, which has his new fall tour dates just released today. Bummed that the closest show he'll be headlining is 5 hours away in Atlanta, but happy for him that he's playing some nicer venues.

www.sturgillsimpson.com

rawkshow

Re: Sturgill Simpson Thread

Post by rawkshow »

yea, i read some articles about him couple of months ago & got both his albums....there was a tiny desk show that came out on npr recently. http://www.npr.org/event/music/34424640 ... sk-concert

excited cuz he's playing charlotte in nov & he's also playing in greenville on oct 11 as part of their fall of greenville show....it's same day as shovels & rope are playing there so i'm def going down to catch both bands.
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

December 4th in Minneapolis? Yep, I'm going.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Barely_Oakely wrote:December 4th in Minneapolis? Yep, I'm going.

I'll probably see you there. Planning on Vikes/Jets that Sunday.

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

rawkshow wrote: he's also playing in greenville on oct 11 as part of their fall of greenville show....it's same day as shovels & rope are playing there so i'm def going down to catch both bands.

I'll be there for the Fall for Greenville shows. That weekend is shaping up pretty nicely...DBT/St. Paul in Atlanta Friday night, Sturgill/S&R Saturday in G'ville, and St. Paul and Broken Bones again on Sunday at Fall for Greenville.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Posted by Sturgill today on facebook...

Been some folks coming to my page to chastise (judge) me for taking the Lord's name in vain on Conan so figured I should address it.
Ironically, the song is actually a metaphor comparing the soothing yet completely addictive and damaging effects of hard narcotic opiates to the negative sociological impact of organized religion and blind faith when forced upon society and used as a political tool by self-righteous, thinly-veiled bigots to control and manipulate the masses and enhance the suffering of impoverished, lower class citizens. Also, since I'm self-funding/self-releasing my art instead of shooting for ACM awards and taking it up the ass from the music row man, I have the right to write and sing and say whatever I choose just as you have the right to not buy or listen to my music and stay away from my page if you don't like it.
So with that said...
1. I sang it like I wrote it
2. Censorship is bullshit
3. This is America and people can say anything they want including "Goddamn" at the top of their lungs on national TV
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

He's playing Atlanta later on and I would love to be there. I'm probably more excited about his two records than anything I've discovered here in the last year and some change. That's saying a lot.

As for what Clams posted, pretty predictable i guess. I've played him for a bunch of my buddies who normally don't quite like a lot of the stuff that I like. They all flipped over him. But they probably won't like him quite as much if they see a few interviews with him.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Iowan wrote:
Barely_Oakely wrote:December 4th in Minneapolis? Yep, I'm going.

I'll probably see you there. Planning on Vikes/Jets that Sunday.

Sounds like a plan. For 15 bucks, you can't afford not to go.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Haven't stopped listening to Sturgill in several weeks now. Just the right amount of modern day Waylon, such a great classic sound. Of course he's playing the same night as the War on Drugs which I got tix for months ago.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Cole Younger wrote:As for what Clams posted, pretty predictable i guess. I've played him for a bunch of my buddies who normally don't quite like a lot of the stuff that I like. They all flipped over him. But they probably won't like him quite as much if they see a few interviews with him.

how is it predictable?

do your friends not listen to the lyrics?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

dime in the gutter wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:As for what Clams posted, pretty predictable i guess. I've played him for a bunch of my buddies who normally don't quite like a lot of the stuff that I like. They all flipped over him. But they probably won't like him quite as much if they see a few interviews with him.

how is it predictable?

do your friends not listen to the lyrics?

I'm not sure how closely they listen to them.

It's predictable to me because while Sturgill sounds like what a lot of my buddies love he doesn't really think like them at all. Blanket statement ahead, you were warned, a lot of people who like traditional country(and I'm not even sure what that is anymore but I think it's stuff that sounds like High top Mountain) tend to think people who write and sing and lay that type of music drive pick ups, chew Red Man, hunt and fish, and go to church. At least that's sure what I gather.

People are funny.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
It's predictable to me because while Sturgill sounds like what a lot of my buddies love he doesn't really think like them at all. Blanket statement ahead, you were warned, a lot of people who like traditional country(and I'm not even sure what that is anymore but I think it's stuff that sounds like High top Mountain) tend to think people who write and sing and lay that type of music drive pick ups, chew Red Man, hunt and fish, and go to church. At least that's sure what I gather.

People are funny.

The "going to church" thing is funny because every bro-country hit out there right now is about drinking and partying with rappers
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

People are funny.

The "going to church" thing is funny because every bro-country hit out there right now is about drinking and partying with rappers

Oh I know. And they all sing about cheating on their wives too or actually do it in real life. Go figure.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

A bunch of new tour dates and the video clip from his 10/28 performance on Jimmy Fallon are up on the official site:

www.sturgillsimpson.com

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Sturgill says he plans to make 5 records and then pull the plug!! WTF?

Check out his interview on Joe Rogan's podcast.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

jr29

Post by jr29 »

bovine knievel wrote:Sturgill says he plans to make 5 records and then pull the plug!! WTF?

Check out his interview on Joe Rogan's podcast.

Ha, I posted the exact same thing in the "what's everyone listening to" thread and got zero response.
I definitely appreciate his vision but, I hope he changes his mind.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Link to Rogan's podcast please!

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

jimmyjack wrote:Link to Rogan's podcast please!

Try this
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

This is probably old news to folks that follow Sturgill more closely than myself but I found it intriguing as I have a musician friend who says he doesn't listen to a lot of current music for the very same reason.

The deep-thinking Simpson, who was named Emerging Artist of the Year at the recent Americana Honors & Awards, performed at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium this past weekend, opening the final night of Jason Isbell's three-night stand at the storied venue. Ironically, back in May, Simpson told Rolling Stone Country that he still hadn't heard Isbell's acclaimed album Southeastern for fear it would too greatly influence him.

"I know if I listen to it, I'll fall in love with it. And then I'll put out [an album], and 'Oh, well, here's Sturgill's Southeastern," he said. "So you have to intentionally really be careful."

You can read the rest of the article (and see video from Sturgill's recent appearance on The Tonight Show) here.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

bovine knievel wrote:
jimmyjack wrote:Link to Rogan's podcast please!

Try this

Much obliged! ;)

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

Somehow had missed out on Sturgill until he popped up on Spotify a couple days ago. I'm hooked. This guy is awesome.

Kudzu Guillotine

IndyWeek's Grayson Currin on Sturgill's opening set for Isbell last night in Durham.

Live: Sorry, Jason Isbell, but Sturgill Simpson is too good

Photo by Reto Sterchi

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Sturgill's good, maybe really good, but he hasn't written a song as good as a mid-tier Isbell song yet.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:IndyWeek's Grayson Currin on Sturgill's opening set for Isbell last night in Durham.

Live: Sorry, Jason Isbell, but Sturgill Simpson is too good

Photo by Reto Sterchi

I assume this is every headliner's nightmare.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Smitty wrote:Sturgill's good, maybe really good, but he hasn't written a song as good as a mid-tier Isbell song yet.

I'm not familiar enough with Sturgill to make that call yet but I do have to agree with how safe Jason's shows are. Then again, it's really hard to find fault with that. I just don't tend to see him more than once on the same tour as it's usually the exact same setlist. I will say that it did my heart some good to see him playing to a full house at the Lincoln in Raleigh shortly after Southeastern was released. Considering he sold out the DPAC, I doubt I'll be seeing him in venues of that size anymore.

liljerry

Post by liljerry »

rawkshow wrote:yea, i read some articles about him couple of months ago & got both his albums....there was a tiny desk show that came out on npr recently. http://www.npr.org/event/music/34424640 ... sk-concert

excited cuz he's playing charlotte in nov & he's also playing in greenville on oct 11 as part of their fall of greenville show....it's same day as shovels & rope are playing there so i'm def going down to catch both bands.

I was at Fall for gville, was bummed he had to cancel, and was also at the chop shop last night. First time seeing him live. All I can say is damn. Helluva a show. Could tell he was having fun up there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usr-MbZPuvk