Sturgill Simpson Thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

bovine knievel

Re: Sturgill Simpson Thread

Post by bovine knievel »

Duke Silver wrote:
huh, looks like he has a new bass player.
You are correct. He is now with Margo Price.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Thanks, jimmyjack for the clarification.

linkous

Post by linkous »

This new record is not for me, although I guess I understand why people are enjoying it.

The horns are ruining ths songs for me, and I love horns normally.

This years War On Drugs/Alabama Shakes Image

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

linkous wrote:
Exactly! Two of the best records of the last two years.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

linkous

Post by linkous »

Duke Silver wrote:
linkous wrote:
Exactly! Two of the best records of the last two years.
Each to their own I guess. You could offer me £50 to get me to listen to their recent albums and I wouldn't take it ;)

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I like it alright. I definitely don't love it. That may change with more listens.

I never really have bought it that he will only make five records. He never acted like that was chiseled in stone anyway but things he has said recently definitely make me question it.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Brace For Impact on the big boy system sounds phenomenal! Also digging the arrangement of Oh Sarah. And for some strange reason the pre-order showed up on the drop date. Go figure.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Good stuff
If you don't run you rust

walthers

Post by walthers »

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Good stuff.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Quick FYI, he's on The Daily Show tonight.
Now it's dark.

roland

Post by roland »

I'm diggin' the new record. Three plays on the iPod and two on the turntable. If you don't think of it as a country album it's great. But I can see how the folks who latched onto "Metamodern" would be disappointed. I love it. It's like Waylon meets Jimmy Buffet with some '90s Crowes, and Sturgill breaking through.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

I like the new record. Lotta respect for the 'Sturg. As some here have pointed out, he could have easily made a retread of Metamodern Sounds and could have coasted for a few years on that. Instead he made this fucked up hybrid of a Stax record, a Mickey Newbury record, and a classic Disney soundtrack. Bold move. I think the gambit itself is noble, but that wouldn't matter as much if the record didn't actually work, which it does. In some weird (perhaps superficial) ways, it reminds me of Mercury Rev's Deserter's Songs, if only in that it gives me the sense of an artist just going for it. To me, the fact that he self-produced this becomes obvious the more I listen. It sounds like a record he probably always wants to make, and I'm happy his success has afforded him the opportunity. I think he's one of the good guys.

I still dislike the Nirvana cover, fwiw.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

jimmyjack wrote:I like the new record. Lotta respect for the 'Sturg. As some here have pointed out, he could have easily made a retread of Metamodern Sounds and could have coasted for a few years on that. Instead he made this fucked up hybrid of a Stax record, a Mickey Newbury record, and a classic Disney soundtrack. Bold move. I think the gambit itself is noble, but that wouldn't matter as much if the record didn't actually work, which it does. In some weird (perhaps superficial) ways, it reminds me of Mercury Rev's Deserter's Songs, if only in that it gives me the sense of an artist just going for it. To me, the fact that he self-produced this becomes obvious the more I listen. It sounds like a record he probably always wants to make, and I'm happy his success has afforded him the opportunity. I think he's one of the good guys.

I still dislike the Nirvana cover, fwiw.
I think it's the closest thing to a skipper, which means when the newness wears off, I'll probably skip it.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Yeah, it doesn't exactly bum me out or anything, but it definitely, err, alters the vibe a bit.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

jimmyjack wrote:Yeah, it doesn't exactly bum me out or anything, but it definitely, err, alters the vibe a bit.
I kind of like, even if I don't love it, and think it ends side one pretty well. If it started side 2 I think I'd like it less.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Sturgill performing the entire album (video).

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
jimmyjack wrote:Yeah, it doesn't exactly bum me out or anything, but it definitely, err, alters the vibe a bit.
I kind of like, even if I don't love it, and think it ends side one pretty well. If it started side 2 I think I'd like it less.
Definitely the flow from Sea Stories to In Bloom to Live a Little is fantastic. Has a wonderful ebb to it.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Anyone have any luck getting tickets to see Sturgill at the Ryman October 28-29? I got in as soon as they went on sale and couldn't get any. If anyone has any extras for either night, let me know. I'd like two, but my wife said she'd hang out in the room if I could only find one.

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

If not for Prince, Sturgill would have the #1 album in the country: http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... p-10-debut

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

In the Marc Maron interview he said he thought Cobain would love the In Bloom cover simply because it makes so many Nirvana fans mad. I think he's probably right about that.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Saw Sturgill last night at the Lexington Opera House in Lexington, KY, and I was blown away. He's always amazing live, but the difference between this show and the last show I saw in January 2015 is unbelievable. He and his band are both at the top of their game, and I was mesmerized from the start. The setlist was similar to the one posted in the OKC thread, with some minor variations, but he still closed with the entire new album in sequence. I wasn't sure how that would play out live, but I think it was a good choice, but he let the crowd know early on he'd be playing the new stuff in its entirety at the end, so you had that built-in anticipation of hearing that.

As far as his performance goes, Sturgill seemed more at ease and talked a little more than at past shows. Not sure if that was the product of being more comfortable onstage or being back home in Kentucky (a little of both I'd say), but for someone who has talked about the stage fright and anxiety he still experiences, I was glad to see he seemed much more relaxed and at ease than at previous shows. The band was phenomenal as always, loved the horn section, they filled out the sound perfectly without overdoing it. Laur switched back and forth between guitar and pedal steel and was a beast on both.

Here's a pic and a video I managed to get, looks like the pic caught Sturgill in mid-jump:

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I was in my truck listening to a "listner supported" fm radio station and heard Sturgill covering Nirvana....that was pretty cool!!!!

walthers

Post by walthers »

Yeah, it's on the new album. Seems like many people are not too keen on it but I really dig it. That was my favorite nirvana song and I think sturgill made it his own and that is what I look for in a cover song. On a separate note, both of his shows in denver sold out instantly a week ago, if anyone happens to end up with an extra I'll happily buy it off you plus some beers! :D

LagoonField

Post by LagoonField »

Hope everyone is having a nice start to Summer..

We are about 12 to 15 listens in to Sturgill's new album.... most excellent. Still trying to get our heads around it all.

We have been big fans since the three night stand with The Drive By Truckers in San Francisco.

We have tickets to see him in September in Charlottesville, Virginia. There is a hole in his schedule when LOCKN goes down in Nelson County Virginia in late August 2016. That would be a most excellent addition also.

See everyone at a future ROCK SHOW!!

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Sturgill is on Jimmy Fallon tonight