Sturgill Simpson Thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: Sturgill Simpson Thread

Post by Iowan »

PeterJ wrote:
Iowan wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:
I have heard from a source very close to him that he is not happy about the distribution of the Sunday Valley disc either.

He must be planning on reissuing it, I take it.

On the Joe Rogan podcast, he doesn't even mention Sunday Valley when Joe asks him about his career. He mentions the two albums. Listening to the podcast, you wouldn't even know that he played in a band before the High Top Mountain album.

Maybe he's oddly ashamed of it?

Seems odd. Sunday Valley is just as good as his solo efforts.

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Sturgill is coming back to the west coast in April...
Shows in Santa Cruz and Terrapin Crossroads are looking good to me.
Hope to see some of you there...
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

PeterG wrote:Sturgill is coming back to the west coast in April...

See you in Santa Cruz, buddy. Also in for Sacramento and Fresno.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

LBRod wrote:

See you in Santa Cruz, buddy. Also in for Sacramento and Fresno.

And a return to the SF Fillmore!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

He's playing a bunch of Northern California shows. I'm in for Sactown, obviously.
Keep calm and have a cigar

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

I'm seeing him in a week and a half or so. I'm pumped.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

I'm leaving in about an hour to see him tonight in Louisville. First time checking him out live after trying for about 2 years, can't wait.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Hope you bought the Terrapin tix already because that shit is sold out.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

rlipps wrote:I'm leaving in about an hour to see him tonight in Louisville. First time checking him out live after trying for about 2 years, can't wait.

I'm looking forward to your review.

- bubba

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

one belt loop wrote:
rlipps wrote:I'm leaving in about an hour to see him tonight in Louisville. First time checking him out live after trying for about 2 years, can't wait.

I'm looking forward to your review.

Hated the venue and the crowd was worse than last Isbell show I went to....but Sturgill and the band were so good, none of that mattered. Laur "Little Joe" Joamets is one of the best guitarist I've saw in a while, he was unbelievable. Show lasted exactly 90 minutes, played pretty much everything on both albums, plus a few covers mixed in. Highly recommend going to see them if they are near you if you can find tickets.

Hud

Post by Hud »

I looked at venues in and around NC, all sold out. damn
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

rlipps wrote:Laur "Little Joe" Joamets is one of the best guitarist I've saw in a while, he was unbelievable.

The Estonian robot guitarist! We loves him!

He told a show-goer from the FIllmore that he couldn't believe how sloppy DBT's playing was. :D

- bubba

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

one belt loop wrote:

Hope you bought the Terrapin tix already because that shit is sold out.

Tried to get Terrapin Tix, but they sold out before I could get to the computer.
I'm looking for an extra or two if you know anyone who has an extra...

Santa Cruz is the only one I have tix for so far.
Have a great homecoming...
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

Hud

Post by Hud »

Barefoot musicians -a new thread?

Jerry joseph and Mike Franti
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Hud wrote:Barefoot musicians -a new thread?

Jerry joseph and Mike Franti

Jimmy Buffett (though it wasn't a thing with him until his latter years), Todd Snider and Ronnie Van Zant.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Hud wrote:Barefoot musicians -a new thread?

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

one belt loop wrote:
rlipps wrote:Laur "Little Joe" Joamets is one of the best guitarist I've saw in a while, he was unbelievable.

The Estonian robot guitarist! We loves him!

He told a show-goer from the FIllmore that he couldn't believe how sloppy DBT's playing was. :D

I thought that was a big part of what we all like about them.

Alas, no Grammy for SS.

Is the Sacto show sold out?
Keep calm and have a cigar

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Came across a great interview the other day. 3 hour interview with Sturgill on The Joe Rogan Experience. Podcast available on itunes and via his web page. Wow what an interview, every topic from Japanese culture to a lot of talk about Dr Rick Strassman and his DMT experiments. Evidently Joe Rogan is a big DMT fan, Sturgill admits to partaking a couple times but there is a lot of drug talk, a lot. It also explains the whole Metamodern Sounds thing and how the album came about and what he was reading at the time. He also explains the Turtles on the way down came from a story told by Stephen Hawkings....one of the funnier moments is at the end when he talks about writing You can have the Crown. How everyone has one of those songs they might regret writing and he wrote it in 20 minutes one morning before going to the studio. Another interesting point Sturgill makes is that he has three more albums left in him and then he is done. Has it all mapped out on what the path the next three albums take. Very entertaining interview, I would advise listening if you are a fan, it explains a lot of what is going on inside this guys head...

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

From his Letterman performance last week.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

hendooman wrote:Came across a great interview the other day. 3 hour interview with Sturgill on The Joe Rogan Experience. Podcast available on itunes and via his web page. Wow what an interview, every topic from Japanese culture to a lot of talk about Dr Rick Strassman and his DMT experiments. Evidently Joe Rogan is a big DMT fan, Sturgill admits to partaking a couple times but there is a lot of drug talk, a lot. It also explains the whole Metamodern Sounds thing and how the album came about and what he was reading at the time. He also explains the Turtles on the way down came from a story told by Stephen Hawkings....one of the funnier moments is at the end when he talks about writing You can have the Crown. How everyone has one of those songs they might regret writing and he wrote it in 20 minutes one morning before going to the studio. Another interesting point Sturgill makes is that he has three more albums left in him and then he is done. Has it all mapped out on what the path the next three albums take. Very entertaining interview, I would advise listening if you are a fan, it explains a lot of what is going on inside this guys head...

Thanks for the heads up here. Listened to this at work the whole afternoon. Really good stuff.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

megoodwin17

Re: Sunday Valley - To the Wind and Onto Heaven - where find

Post by megoodwin17 »

Looking for this one too. Any help out there?

PeterJ

Re: Sunday Valley - To the Wind and Onto Heaven - where find

Post by PeterJ »

megoodwin17 wrote:Looking for this one too. Any help out there?

x2
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Solid, sold out show (800) at the TLA in Philly last night. Last gig was <200 in August.

He had a pretty bad flu and mentioned they probably should have gone off the road a week ago. I give him credit for not disappointing a crowd that braved some pretty shitty weather to get there.

Guitar player is far from robotic, playing quite a few extended jams to give Sturgill a break. Plus, his slide work is masterful.

Didn't see a whole lot of commentary regarding the Fillmore shows and I'd like to know what the DBT faithful thought.
Dave

Dean

Post by Dean »

his Thursday night show at the Lincoln is cancelled due to illness

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

one asshole at a time, right now it's my turn...

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Seems Sturgill's make up date for his canceled Lincoln Theatre show is going to be opening up for Old Crow Medicine Show at Koka Booth in Cary on May 2. I don't really have anything against Old Crow, nor am I much of a fan but it sure seems like he would have worked in a full length headlining show of his own instead. I'd love to see him but not opening for another band (at least this particular one). I'm sure all those that purchased tix for that Lincoln show are similarly disappointed. Next time he comes through here, he definitely won't be playing venues of that size anymore.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Here's some news for the Arkansaw contingent:

Grammy-Nominated Artist Sturgill Simpson Live at Hendrix
CONWAY, Ark. (January 28, 2015) – Hendrix College and the Oxford American magazine will present Atlantic Records recording artist Sturgill Simpson in concert Wednesday, April 29, at 8 p.m., in Staples Auditorium on the Hendrix campus.

The show, which is free and open to the public, is sponsored by Hendrix College Student Activities, in partnership with the Oxford American magazine and KHDX 93.1, Hendrix’s student radio station. No ticket reservations are required and all seats are general admission. Doors open at 7 p.m. For more information, call 501-450-1291 or email activities@hendrix.edu.
I'd really like to love this guy and three opening slots at the Fillmore didn't do it. Any advice on helping me get him is very welcome.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Here's some news for the Arkansaw contingent:

CONWAY, Ark. (January 28, 2015) – Hendrix College and the Oxford American magazine will present Atlantic Records recording artist Sturgill Simpson in concert Wednesday, April 29, at 8 p.m., in Staples Auditorium on the Hendrix campus.

The show, which is free and open to the public, is sponsored by Hendrix College Student Activities, in partnership with the Oxford American magazine and KHDX 93.1, Hendrix’s student radio station. No ticket reservations are required and all seats are general admission. Doors open at 7 p.m. For more information, call 501-450-1291 or email activities@hendrix.edu.
I'd really like to love this guy and three opening slots at the Fillmore didn't do it. Any advice on helping me get him is very welcome.
I am not sure what to say if you saw him three times of what I heard were three great shows. It took me a couple times through Metamodern to get it so to speak. One thing is to maybe get to know the guy. I posted it earlier but there is a interview with him on the Joe Rogan Experience #564. You can download the podcast from iTunes. It is a 3 hour interview, well worth the listen, might help you get his personality and message especially from the last album.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Here's some news for the Arkansaw contingent:

I would imagine that he may just not be for you. i was blown away by him the very first time I heard him and am a huge fan. But I would say to maybe come back to him every so often and just see if it clicks. To me, he doesn't seem like an artist that would take time but he might be for some people. Like I said, I was an instant fan.

I was like that about Wilco. Never understood it. Lots of people who I know have good taste in music have championed them to me for years. I tried and just did t like it. Even started a thread about it here. One day my wife and I were out eating lunch at a place here and I heard a song playing in the resteraunt that I liked. I asked who it was and they told me it was Wilco. Not long after that a friend got me to watch a DVD of theirs and now I like them.

Then again, I have friends who will seemingly never like My Morning Jacket and I think they're great. And try as I might, I just don't like Cetro matic. You never know.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

zoid

Post by zoid »

Garden and Gun - Back Porch Session: Sturgill Simpson

http://gardenandgun.com/media/back-porc ... ll-simpson