Sturgill Simpson Thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

swd06b

Re: Sunday Valley - To the Wind and Onto Heaven - where find

Post by swd06b »

PeterJ wrote:
hendooman wrote:
Smitty wrote:It's out there.
Found it with a little help.
I sure could use a little help. I am usually pretty independent too. ;)

I've searched high and low for this and I keep coming up dry.

PeterJ

Re: Sunday Valley - To the Wind and Onto Heaven - where find

Post by PeterJ »

swd06b wrote:
PeterJ wrote:
hendooman wrote:
Found it with a little help.
I sure could use a little help. I am usually pretty independent too. ;)

I've searched high and low for this and I keep coming up dry.

Me too.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

hendooman

Re: Sturgill Simpson Thread

Post by hendooman »

Last night, excellent show despite it being 100 degrees

Sturgill Simpson
KC Crossroads
KC, Mo
July 14, 2015

Skrillex- reggae bomb intro
Sitting here without you
Water in the well
Long white line
Time after all
Poor rambler
Voices
Can't you love me one more time
Medicine springs
A little light
Living the dream
Life of sin
Some days
Sad songs and waltzes- willie Nelson
Sometimes wine
Ain't all flowers
The promise
Railroad of sin
Just let go
Amarillo Highway- terry Allen
I never go around mirrors- lefty frizell
You can have the crown
Turtles

Have to be crazy
Listening to the rain- Osborne brothers

zoid

Post by zoid »

So.. Sturgill sold out 2 shows at the Ryman in something like 4 minutes. I managed to get 2 tix to the Sat Oct 31 show. They added another show for Sunday Nov 1. As of right now there are maybe 15 tickets left.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

saw him today. good stuff but a bit too bluegrass for me at times.

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

New album drop date announced

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

bovine knievel wrote:New album drop date announced

I just did the vinyl preorder - the $60 option.

This premium one is pretty sweet with the box and compass, but I could not justify the $$$

http://store.sturgillsimpson.com/?intcm ... now-button
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

zoid

Post by zoid »

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

i like the way this album is shaping up
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Love that album cover.
Also love watching the "Saving Country Music" crowd lose their shit over the non-countryness of it.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Smitty wrote:Love that album cover.
Also love watching the "Saving Country Music" crowd lose their shit over the non-countryness of it.
Yea some heads are gonna explode!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Definitely digging that song
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

My head isn't exploding as I really like this song and like it more and more with each listen. But I get how people who aren't as obsessive as we are and have t listened to interviews with him and don't know about Sunday Valley would be really confused by this.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Several tour dates announced, including a 2-night stand in Lexington, KY. Gonna try to make it to one of those. Really digging the new tune, excited for the album.

http://www.jambands.com/news/2016/03/04 ... tour-dates

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cole Younger wrote:My head isn't exploding as I really like this song and like it more and more with each listen. But I get how people who aren't as obsessive as we are and have t listened to interviews with him and don't know about Sunday Valley would be really confused by this.
If you even know about Sturgill, I think that implies you drive your proverbial musical taste truck off the interstate every now and then. In that case, how would an artist slightly changing genres shock or make someone mad, especially after the progressive qualities of Metamodern? Especially from country to rock, which is almost too obvious...maybe if he went in an EDM direction as he's threatened I'd see their point.

zoid

Post by zoid »

bovine knievel wrote:
Smitty wrote:Love that album cover.
Yea some heads are gonna explode!
No kiddin. Between "Brace for Impact" and "Sugar Daddy" from that Vinyl show on HBO they are going to stroke out.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:My head isn't exploding as I really like this song and like it more and more with each listen. But I get how people who aren't as obsessive as we are and have t listened to interviews with him and don't know about Sunday Valley would be really confused by this.
If you even know about Sturgill, I think that implies you drive your proverbial musical taste truck off the interstate every now and then. In that case, how would an artist slightly changing genres shock or make someone mad, especially after the progressive qualities of Metamodern? Especially from country to rock, which is almost too obvious...maybe if he went in an EDM direction as he's threatened I'd see their point.
I don't know that it is making anybody mad. But I can see some people not being willing to follow him where he's headed with this one. I'm not one of those people. I can't wait until this record is released. But there are fans of his who are pretty invested in him making the kind of country music they've wanted a current artist to make who may not love this. Even though I don't feel that way I can understand it. I don't feel like there's anything wrong with that beyond it being too bad that some people aren't interested in anything beyond one genre of music. Even though Sturgill never asked for that whole "savior of country music" mantle it was thrust upon him. And even if he doesn't consider himself just a country artist I don't think it's unreasonable if some people heard his first two records and thought that was what he was. As bubba asked somewhere on this board once, "if Sturgill Simpson isnt a country singer then what is he?" I don't know. I definitely drive my musical taste truck off the interstate. Pretty much all the time (sometimes I get out and turn my coon hounds loose in the woods beside the road. That's for you, clams). but I try to stay away from music snobbery.

walthers

Post by walthers »

"Driving the musical truck of the interstate" I really like that and it makes a lot of sense. I am very excited for the new Sturgill album as I think most people that frequent this board probably are. I know it was posted a long time back, but if you want to get an idea of why he is making the music he is, listen to the Joe Rogan Podcast with Sturgill, I finally got around to it just last week. Although I have not heard any of the "Sunday Valley" stuff he put out before High Top Mountain, it seems that he is heading back into that direction as opposed to some of the best country music that has been put out in some time, i.e. his last two albums. We will see but I am ready to take a listen and see where this next album takes him.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Having heard the Sunday Valley stuff, this new material is nothing like that. I'm not sure what the new sound is considered but me like it!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cole Younger wrote:
Smitty wrote:
I don't know that it is making anybody mad. But I can see some people not being willing to follow him where he's headed with this one. I'm not one of those people. I can't wait until this record is released. But there are fans of his who are pretty invested in him making the kind of country music they've wanted a current artist to make who may not love this. Even though I don't feel that way I can understand it. I don't feel like there's anything wrong with that beyond it being too bad that some people aren't interested in anything beyond one genre of music. Even though Sturgill never asked for that whole "savior of country music" mantle it was thrust upon him. And even if he doesn't consider himself just a country artist I don't think it's unreasonable if some people heard his first two records and thought that was what he was. As bubba asked somewhere on this board once, "if Sturgill Simpson isnt a country singer then what is he?" I don't know. I definitely drive my musical taste truck off the interstate. Pretty much all the time (sometimes I get out and turn my coon hounds loose in the woods beside the road. That's for you, clams). but I try to stay away from music snobbery.
Go check out the comments on the Saving Country Music site about the album announcement and "Sugar Daddy". I'm also against music snobbery (to a degree) and that's absolutely what I'm railing against here. Its not about liking his new stuff; some folks won't and there's nothing wrong with that, but people feeling " betrayed" by him going in a different direction is just weird to me, especially since I don't think he's changing direction as much as expanding on what he started with "Metamodern".

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Feeling betrayed? Lol. Yeah that's silly.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

He covers Nirvana's "In Bloom" on the new one.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

There's a certain segment of his audience that decided he was the second coming of Waylon Jennings and those folks are the ones that have their panties in a bunch. If it wasn't obvious from Metamodern Sounds that he's a much more varied cat than that narrow influence then fuck 'em. I' also like that he's moved away from Dave Cobb for this one.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Had the pre-order in my cart and ready to go, but $10 for standard shipping is nuts. I'll just wait until my local shop has it.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:There's a certain segment of his audience that decided he was the second coming of Waylon Jennings and those folks are the ones that have their panties in a bunch. If it wasn't obvious from Metamodern Sounds that he's a much more varied cat than that narrow influence then fuck 'em. I' also like that he's moved away from Dave Cobb for this one.
fuck em? Dang, TC.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cole Younger wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:There's a certain segment of his audience that decided he was the second coming of Waylon Jennings and those folks are the ones that have their panties in a bunch. If it wasn't obvious from Metamodern Sounds that he's a much more varied cat than that narrow influence then fuck 'em. I' also like that he's moved away from Dave Cobb for this one.
fuck em? Dang, TC.
Metaphorically.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
fuck em? Dang, TC.
Metaphorically.
Lol.

roland

Post by roland »

Duke Silver wrote:Had the pre-order in my cart and ready to go, but $10 for standard shipping is nuts. I'll just wait until my local shop has it.
Pre-ordered from my local today. He gives 10% off new release pre's, and I'll probably spend another 20 bucks from the used bins. He's got me right where he wants me.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Official video