Sturgill Simpson Thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: Sturgill Simpson Thread

Post by chuckrh »

at least he won't have to go to the damned CMAs next year.... :D

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

bovine knievel wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:He was on Joe Rogan yesterday. Looking forward to hearing what he says about the new album and everything that went into it if nothing else. This album just ain’t for me. But that’s fine.
Announced the US Tour will include Tyler Childers.
3DD explodes in a collective O-face :lol: :lol: :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

bovine knievel wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:He was on Joe Rogan yesterday. Looking forward to hearing what he says about the new album and everything that went into it if nothing else. This album just ain’t for me. But that’s fine.
I’ve seen Sturgill before but haven’t seen Tyler Childers and I like him a lot. ‘course Sturgill is liable to convince him to do an album of Bossa Nova music but until that day comes I love everything he’s done so far.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:
Yeah, I'm going wherever the fuck I have to see that show.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

I saw TC once in spring 2018 and it was just OK. Granted, I was feeling good like Ronnie Wood, but if anything that should have made me think it was better musically than it was. Thought Lilie Mae’s opening set was better
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I too had a quick turnaround on this record. It sunk in when I watched on Netflix. I hated the first single when it came out and now i can’t get it out my head. Damn you Sturgill! And thanks.

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Iowan wrote: Yeah, I'm going wherever the fuck I have to see that show.

Agreed, got to be a KC, Chicago or St Louis in my future. I missed TC in Columbia last year due to a last minute deal, still have the ticket! But the last time I saw SS in KC he played sailors all the way in the second set, you could tell then that was the the way he was leaning. Then the SNL showing. It has been referenced here many times about his statements on Joe Rogan, he told us this was coming a long time ago. If I remember correctly he said he only had three more albums in him...sailors, sound...? Or did he say that after sailors, I think it was before. My opinion: I’m a fan, I can go from honky talk to synth rock anytime, going to watch the movie this weekend...with cabbage salad!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

hendooman wrote:
Iowan wrote: Yeah, I'm going wherever the fuck I have to see that show.

Agreed, got to be a KC, Chicago or St Louis in my future. I missed TC in Columbia last year due to a last minute deal, still have the ticket! But the last time I saw SS in KC he played sailors all the way in the second set, you could tell then that was the the way he was leaning. Then the SNL showing. It has been referenced here many times about his statements on Joe Rogan, he told us this was coming a long time ago. If I remember correctly he said he only had three more albums in him...sailors, sound...? Or did he say that after sailors, I think it was before. My opinion: I’m a fan, I can go from honky talk to synth rock anytime, going to watch the movie this weekend...with cabbage salad!
we have nice produce stores in seattle.... :D

Clams

Post by Clams »

bovine knievel wrote:
Some more nuggets here:

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/tyle ... 0hMqgg3PCs
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Here’s hoping they announce a Belly Up Aspen show or two. Sturgill in that room? ssshhiiiit

Clams

Post by Clams »

You could see this bad review coming from a mile away.

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/albu ... ound-fury/

My own opinion? I like what Surgill's doing here but it's taking a lot of effort for me to listen to the record and enjoy it. Not sure it's going to stick with me.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I saw both TC and Sturg at the 2018 Hinterland festival. They each played a killer set.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

That Saving Country Music dude comes off as a know-it-all douche. He’s also the guy who claimed to have “discovered” Sturgill and is the reason his career took off. :roll:
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

bovine knievel wrote:That Saving Country Music dude comes off as a know-it-all douche. He’s also the guy who claimed to have “discovered” Sturgill and is the reason his career took off. :roll:
I can't stand him. He got really weird with Turnpike Troubadours, too. He basically treated Evan Felker's issues in a TMZ kind of style, and really kind of exacerbated things with them - making their personal issues fodder for clicks. The members of the band and their families absolutely despise him.

He acts like every good independent country-adjacent artist owes him something.

That said, it's a good place to at least hear about what's out there and what you might be missing.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I understood a lot of where saving country music was coming from in his review. Having said that I went into the gym this morning after a six month layoff and I will say that Sound and Fury is the perfect workout record.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

bovine knievel wrote:

I just don't get how Childers blew up so big and Chris Knight and a couple other dozen other similar (and for the most part, better) songwriters barely scrape by. It's all about the timing I guess.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I say this as a big Chris Knight fan but my guess is it has something to do with the body count in his songs. I know they aren’t all like that but enough of them are that it might be what has kept him from it. I want to like this Sound and Fury so bad but I just don’t.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:

I just don't get how Childers blew up so big and Chris Knight and a couple other dozen other similar (and for the most part, better) songwriters barely scrape by. It's all about the timing I guess.
Timing, and subject material. Childers' subject material is a little more universal and (I guess) uplifting? for lack of a better term. Like Cole said, there's a big body count in Chris Knight's music. It's just tougher, more hard scrabble, and at the end of the day appeals to a smaller demographic. I fucking love Knight, and would agree he's a step ahead of Childers as a songwriter, but I'm not at all surprised by the difference in audience size.

It would be hard to love Chris Knight if you've never come home sore, tired, covered in grease/dirt/manure, grabbed a beer out of the fridge and fell asleep in a chair halfway through it. Pretty much anyone can hear a song like "Feathered Indians" and connect with some part of it.

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Iowan wrote:Timing, and subject material. Childers' subject material is a little more universal and (I guess) uplifting? for lack of a better term. Like Cole said, there's a big body count in Chris Knight's music. It's just tougher, more hard scrabble, and at the end of the day appeals to a smaller demographic. I fucking love Knight, and would agree he's a step ahead of Childers as a songwriter, but I'm not at all surprised by the difference in audience size.

It would be hard to love Chris Knight if you've never come home sore, tired, covered in grease/dirt/manure, grabbed a beer out of the fridge and fell asleep in a chair halfway through it. Pretty much anyone can hear a song like "Feathered Indians" and connect with some part of it.
Love me some Knight, but I think the biggest thing you mentioned here is timing. I think the social media monster helped a lot, knowing Sturgill didn't hurt either.

As far as Sound & Fury goes...digging it more every listen. I finally watched the video, at full volume, I really think it changed the album for me. I just visualize certain scenes that go with the lyrics. Is it different, for sure, is it the sleazy, psychedelic rock he said it was going to be, for sure. You can really see all his influences come together on this album, all except the country ones :D

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Really good analysis there, Iowan. I love it. I think you’re absolutely right. I don’t know that Chris Knight really wants a mass audience either. It’s not like I know him but I met him and got to talk to him and he exactly how you think he would be. He ain’t playing a role. He’s lived it. I like both him and Tyler Childers and I absolutely get how Tyler Childers’ music is more relatable to more people.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Dates for the Sturgill/Childers tour are out, Sturgill shared a poster on IG last night that listed them. Tickets go on sale on Nov 8th, no word yet on venues or ticket prices. I'm hoping to make both the Lexington & Louisville shows, especially since Lex is at the beginning of the tour in Feb and Louisville is at the end in May. I'm sure the dates will be up at some point over the next few days, but here they are for those that aren't on social media:

2/21 Birmingham, AL
2/22 Asheville, NC
2/25 Knoxville, TN
2/28 Lexington, KY
2/29 Detroit, MI
3/4 Pittsburgh, PA
3/6 Charlotte, NC
3/7 Duluth, GA
3/10 North Charleston, SC
3/13 Hampton, VA
3/14 Philadelphia, PA
3/15 Washington, DC
3/16 Washington, DC
3/18 Toronto, ON
3/20 Columbus, OH
3/21 St Louis, MO
3/22 Southaven, MS
3/27 Dallas, TX
3/28 Austin, TX
3/29 Sugarland, TX
4/1 Independence, MO
4/3 Chicago, IL
4/4 Minneapolis, MN
4/9 Omaha, NE
4/10 Madison, WI
4/23 Tulsa, OK
4/25 Denver, CO
4/28 Salt Lake City, UT
4/29 Missoula, MT
5/1 Portland, OR
5/2 George, WA
5/5 San Francisco, CA
5/8 Inglewood, CA
5/15 Boston, MA
5/16 New York, NY
5/22 Nashville, TN
5/24 Louisville, TN

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

rlipps wrote:Dates for the Sturgill/Childers tour are out, Sturgill shared a poster on IG last night that listed them. Tickets go on sale on Nov 8th, no word yet on venues or ticket prices. I'm hoping to make both the Lexington & Louisville shows, especially since Lex is at the beginning of the tour in Feb and Louisville is at the end in May. I'm sure the dates will be up at some point over the next few days, but here they are for those that aren't on social media:

2/21 Birmingham, AL
2/22 Asheville, NC
2/25 Knoxville, TN
2/28 Lexington, KY
2/29 Detroit, MI
3/4 Pittsburgh, PA
3/6 Charlotte, NC
3/7 Duluth, GA
3/13 Hampton, VA
3/14 Philadelphia, PA
3/15 Washington, DC
3/16 Washington, DC
3/18 Toronto, ON
3/20 Columbus, OH
3/21 St Louis, MO
3/22 Southaven, MS
3/27 Dallas, TX
3/28 Austin, TX
3/29 Sugarland, TX
4/1 Independence, MO
4/3 Chicago, IL
4/4 Minneapolis, MN
4/9 Omaha, NE
4/10 Madison, WI
4/23 Tulsa, OK
4/25 Denver, CO
4/28 Salt Lake City, UT
4/29 Missoula, MT
5/1 Portland, OR
5/2 George, WA
5/5 San Francisco, CA
5/8 Inglewood, CA
5/15 Boston, MA
5/16 New York, NY
5/22 Nashville, TN
5/24 Louisville, TN
The excitement is building...I think St Louis and KC are in my future.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Say what you will about the new album, but All Said and Done is fucking great
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

roland

Post by roland »

rlipps wrote:Dates for the Sturgill/Childers tour are out, Sturgill shared a poster on IG last night that listed them. Tickets go on sale on Nov 8th, no word yet on venues or ticket prices. I'm hoping to make both the Lexington & Louisville shows, especially since Lex is at the beginning of the tour in Feb and Louisville is at the end in May. I'm sure the dates will be up at some point over the next few days, but here they are for those that aren't on social media:

2/21 Birmingham, AL
2/22 Asheville, NC
2/25 Knoxville, TN
2/28 Lexington, KY
2/29 Detroit, MI
3/4 Pittsburgh, PA
3/6 Charlotte, NC
3/7 Duluth, GA
3/13 Hampton, VA
3/14 Philadelphia, PA
3/15 Washington, DC
3/16 Washington, DC
3/18 Toronto, ON
3/20 Columbus, OH
3/21 St Louis, MO
3/22 Southaven, MS
3/27 Dallas, TX
3/28 Austin, TX
3/29 Sugarland, TX
4/1 Independence, MO
4/3 Chicago, IL
4/4 Minneapolis, MN
4/9 Omaha, NE
4/10 Madison, WI
4/23 Tulsa, OK
4/25 Denver, CO
4/28 Salt Lake City, UT
4/29 Missoula, MT
5/1 Portland, OR
5/2 George, WA
5/5 San Francisco, CA
5/8 Inglewood, CA
5/15 Boston, MA
5/16 New York, NY
5/22 Nashville, TN
5/24 Louisville, TN
Friday night in Charlotte...

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Minneapolis or Madison

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Here's the dates updated with the venues:

https://www.sturgillsimpson.com/tour

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

rlipps wrote:Here's the dates updated with the venues:

https://www.sturgillsimpson.com/tour
Holy shit, he’s playing arenas now? When did that happen?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

walthers

Post by walthers »

Wow, I would like to say I am surprised at this but I knew it was coming, much like Chris Stapleton, just blew up fast. I swear it was just three or so years ago I saw him play the Bluebird, now the Pepsi Center. That place sucks, but I am still going to go, have to.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Whoa. These are some big venues. Good for Sturgill!
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

walthers wrote:Wow, I would like to say I am surprised at this but I knew it was coming, much like Chris Stapleton, just blew up fast. I swear it was just three or so years ago I saw him play the Bluebird, now the Pepsi Center. That place sucks, but I am still going to go, have to.
Agreed. I saw Stapleton lat weekend at the Sprint Center, 18-20,000 roughly with the floor. It was good but lost a lot with al the talking so called fans there.

No shit, The United Center in Chicago...count me out.

The "arena" in KC he is playing, Independence, MO to be exact is a minor league hockey arena. Perfect at about 6000 seats.