Sturgill Simpson Thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Mundane Mayhem

Re: Sturgill Simpson Thread

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Clams wrote:
RolanK wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Man I really liked it. I mean I hope the whole thing isn't that synth heavy but my immediate reaction was that I really liked it. Supposed to be more of a rock album so maybe the rest is more guitar centered. One thing is for sure, he likes to mess with people.
I'm with Cole here. This got me excited for the new album.
x2
Yep. I really like it. Love that he's trying new things that still sound unmistakably like Sturgill Simpson.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Clams

Post by Clams »

Mundane Mayhem wrote: Yep. I really like it. Love that he's trying new things that still sound unmistakably like Sturgill Simpson.
Agree. It's funny though, lots of people don't like it when a band branches out or tries a new sound that's different from what everyone was used to. I saw some folks on FB earlier this week complaining that Tyler Childers' new record is disappointing bc it sounds different than Purgatory. Well duh, of course they sound different. I say give em credit for trying something different and making it work. DBT is another band that isn't afraid to branch out. Then again, Springsteen tried it with Western Stars and (IMO) the results are not great - but hey, I give him points for trying, following his western muse. Unlike other artists (cough *Isbell* cough) who are basically trotting out the same sound with each new release.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I listened to it on repeat for a while today and more listens just confirmed it for me. I think it's good.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Judging by the fact that I’ve tried twice and haven’t made it to the end I’d have to say it’s my least favorite Sturgill song.
I don’t like the music or the lyrics or the vocals.
Still really looking forward to the record though.
If I were to rank his albums so far it would be a tie.
Sailors Guide gets spun the most round here but that may be because of how much I wore out High Top and Metamodern.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

ya'll are fucked. this shit is righteous.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Cole Younger wrote:I listened to it on repeat for a while today and more listens just confirmed it for me. I think it's good.
I did the same thing yesterday in the office. I’m all in.

I’ve got the Urge to Sturg! 8-)

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

dime in the gutter wrote:ya'll are fucked. this shit is righteous.
dime is a genius.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

bovine knievel wrote:
I’ve got the Urge to Sturg! 8-)
Extremely same. Most anticipated release of the year.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Just announced some "intimate performances" for next week with tickets going on sale 9/25.

Hoping to score tickets to the 10/1 show at Terrapin Crossroads.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Sound and Fury will polarize the troops, but so far I'm all in. Any album with a back cover tagline of Fuck Your Speakers is alright by me.
Dave

Clams

Post by Clams »

https://www.theringer.com/music/2019/9/ ... ime-review

Great review, the record sure sounds pretty hostile, can't wait to hear it tomorrow
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Sturgill is an interesting guy and one of my favorite artists of the last ten years easily. I'm excited about this album and he has talked from the beginning about doing something that was not country at all. I'm fine with that but I do hope he isn't done with it. He's so good at it. I hate that he seems so, is frustrated the word, byalot of what comes with it.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I think I might've been the only person at those Fillmore shows who didn't love him. Not that it was bad; I just didn't see what was special about it. But I'll give this one a try. I love it when artists change it up!
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

"...if everyone loves this too much and too loudly, he will likely respond by never returning to it again."

I've gotten the feeling this was the case for a while now. He almost seems determined to make an album that nobody will like and seems frustrated that people still like it every time. Meta Modern seemed like an attempt to distance himself from High Top Mountain and I remember him saying something to the effect that he almost hoped the folks that loved his first album wouldn't like his second.

Then Sailor's Guide was a miles from either and again there was this under current of almost willfully attempting to put off the fans of the first two albums. I admit to liking it less than the first too but I like it a lot still.

I like that he's always doing something different but I don't get what he's pushing so hard against or why. I mean he made those albums. It's like, nobody made you record High Top Mountain, man. There was no pressure on you to go for a certain sound because nobody knew who you were.

I don't have an artistic bone in my body so I have no clue what makes an artist tick. I get that. What I don't get is why Sturgill Simpson seems so put off by his own success. If what I've heard so far is any indication, most of the people who like him will like this album too.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I love it when artists change it up!
he's a changer, no doubt.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Cole Younger wrote:"...if everyone loves this too much and too loudly, he will likely respond by never returning to it again."

I've gotten the feeling this was the case for a while now. He almost seems determined to make an album that nobody will like and seems frustrated that people still like it every time. Meta Modern seemed like an attempt to distance himself from High Top Mountain and I remember him saying something to the effect that he almost hoped the folks that loved his first album wouldn't like his second.

Then Sailor's Guide was a miles from either and again there was this under current of almost willfully attempting to put off the fans of the first two albums. I admit to liking it less than the first too but I like it a lot still.

I like that he's always doing something different but I don't get what he's pushing so hard against or why. I mean he made those albums. It's like, nobody made you record High Top Mountain, man. There was no pressure on you to go for a certain sound because nobody knew who you were.

I don't have an artistic bone in my body so I have no clue what makes an artist tick. I get that. What I don't get is why Sturgill Simpson seems so put off by his own success. If what I've heard so far is any indication, most of the people who like him will like this album too.
Cole, did you read The NY Times article that somebody posted above? It gives a better perspective on his “issues” with success.

As for him hoping the folks who liked the first album wouldn’t like Metamodern, had more to do with the folks who latched on to the King Turd thing. :lol: He’s said that he regrets putting that song out. I see it similar to DBT purging a fan base that wasn’t really getting the message they were putting out. That’s what I like the most about artists like DBT and SS, is they stick to their guns and will do what it takes to maintain that identity. It’s about the music and their love of it, not about the $.

I am excited for the album to drop tomorrow more than any album coming out this year!

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

bovine knievel wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:"...if everyone loves this too much and too loudly, he will likely respond by never returning to it again."

Cole, did you read The NY Times article that somebody posted above? It gives a better perspective on his “issues” with success.

As for him hoping the folks who liked the first album wouldn’t like Metamodern, had more to do with the folks who latched on to the King Turd thing. :lol: He’s said that he regrets putting that song out. I see it similar to DBT purging a fan base that wasn’t really getting the message they were putting out. That’s what I like the most about artists like DBT and SS, is they stick to their guns and will do what it takes to maintain that identity. It’s about the music and their love of it, not about the $.

I am excited for the album to drop tomorrow more than any album coming out this year!
Yeah that was where the quote at the beginning came from. I remember him sayi g that about You Can Have The Crown. But I mean, he was the one who decided to go out and get Robby Turner, Waylon's old pedal steel player for his first album. Of all the people he could have hired, you know. And he went and got Pig Robbins to play piano. He clearly wanted a very specific sound. This is a long way around the barn of asking, what did he expect?

Look I'm not mad with him. I'm a big fan. I just dont understand where he's coming from. I want to make country music I just don't want country fans to like it. As Maynard James Keenan said about something similar, I want a steak I just don't want it to be meat.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Cole Younger wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:

Yeah that was where the quote at the beginning came from. I remember him sayi g that about You Can Have The Crown. But I mean, he was the one who decided to go out and get Robby Turner, Waylon's old pedal steel player for his first album. Of all the people he could have hired, you know. And he went and got Pig Robbins to play piano. He clearly wanted a very specific sound. This is a long way around the barn of asking, what did he expect?

Look I'm not mad with him. I'm a big fan. I just dont understand where he's coming from. I want to make country music I just don't want country fans to like it. As Maynard James Keenan said about something similar, I want a steak I just don't want it to be meat.
I don’t recall that quote from the NY Times article.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

About him probably not doing it again if people like it too much? It was near the end.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Cole Younger wrote:About him probably not doing it again if people like it too much? It was near the end.
That’s for The Ringer article... just read it.

Read The NY Times article if you haven’t. It filled in some holes for me with his way of thinking.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

bovine knievel wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:About him probably not doing it again if people like it too much? It was near the end.
That’s for The Ringer article... just read it.

Read The NY Times article if you haven’t. It filled in some holes for me with his way of thinking.
10-4.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I think I might've been the only person at those Fillmore shows who didn't love him.
I really do like him a lot. However, when I was talking about him last month with a friend who has already anointed him, I offered this take (said friend is a huge baseball fan, so I went with a baseball analogy): to me he's like a guy who is tearing up the league with a .450 average yet he doesn't have enough ABs to qualify for the batting title. As good as he's been so far, sample size is way too small to "crown" him just yet.

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I posted this about the new album in the Whats Everyone Listening To thread and decided most of it was more appropriate here.

After one listen most of it is a hard pass. As Iowan mentioned, way too much synth. I was expecting some but not this. Even with that I think his vocals would have been enough to salvage a lot of the songs but he seems to anticipated that and intentionally muddied them using fuzzed mics on some songs and on others he sounds like he’s singing into a mic he bought at Radio Shack that is set up in somebody’s barn or their shop or whatever. I may like it better with more listens. Who knows? I still don’t get this dilemma he’s having. People like his first three albums. What a drag. If the goal was to run a lot of people off, and one of the more intelligible lines is,” tried to throw it all away before but it kept coming back around” while laments all the people he says like his music and are, at least in his mind, trying to get something from him.

There are still moments. I like Sing Along. Fastest Horse In Town Andy Best Clockmaker On Mars sound like they would be good live without his vocals being so buried. Ronin has some cool guitar on it. But mostly, if the goal was to make a mostly unlikea le album, he may have accomplished the mission.
Last edited by Cole Younger on Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Counterpoint: People like me (who don't love honky tonk country) might now be jumping on the bandwagon with this album. Sure, it sounds more Black Keys than country, but I dig the hell out of it
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Zip City wrote:Counterpoint: People like me (who don't love honky tonk country) might now be jumping on the bandwagon with this album. Sure, it sounds more Black Keys than country, but I dig the hell out of it
I love honky tonk and the Black Keys.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

bovine knievel wrote:
Zip City wrote:Counterpoint: People like me (who don't love honky tonk country) might now be jumping on the bandwagon with this album. Sure, it sounds more Black Keys than country, but I dig the hell out of it
How dare you
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Zip City wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:
How dare you
:lol:

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I’m glad, Zip. And it’s not that I think he is t allowed to make anything besides honky tonk country. I was one of the few here that was excited about this album based on what he released from it early. And Sailor’s Guide is not honky tonk country and I like it. I just don’t really like most of this. At least not right now. Like i said i can see how these songs might sound great live. I like the Black Keys too. I can’t say I’ve listened to them that much the last few years but that’s mostly just a case of so much music and so little time. If I never like this album that’s not the end of the world. But he’s been my favorite artist of the last several years so it will be disappointing if I come to think of him the same way that I think of MyMorni g Jacket which is, oh well, I’ll always have the early stuff.
Last edited by Cole Younger on Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.