Sturgill Simpson Thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: Sturgill Simpson Thread

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

there was a Sturgill reference on the 11 PM PST Sportscenter last night. Something along the line of "(outfielder whose name I don't recall) covers the ground like Sturgill Simpson does Broadway," or something of that ilk

That's all I've got
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

I have spent hours searching for a way to purchase or obtain by any means possible, the two track EP "Bastard Children" by Sturgill. I can not find it anywhere. I found the Four Flamed Candle track on SoundCloud but the quality is poor. There is not even any mention of this on BandCamp (where it was originally released) or Sturgill's own site. Can anyone help me? I do have the Sunday Valley record which I saw some people were looking for earlier in this thread. I found a site selling it for digital download but I can not find this EP anywhere...it's driving me mad! It appears to only have ever been available digitally. There was never a physical media release of this EP.

INFO:
https://musicbrainz.org/release/b9e4571 ... d9d5cec761
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

whatwouldcooleydo?

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

potatoeater wrote:I have spent hours searching for a way to purchase or obtain by any means possible, the two track EP "Bastard Children" by Sturgill. I can not find it anywhere. I found the Four Flamed Candle track on SoundCloud but the quality is poor. There is not even any mention of this on BandCamp (where it was originally released) or Sturgill's own site. Can anyone help me? I do have the Sunday Valley record which I saw some people were looking for earlier in this thread. I found a site selling it for digital download but I can not find this EP anywhere...it's driving me mad! It appears to only have ever been available digitally. There was never a physical media release of this EP.

INFO:
https://musicbrainz.org/release/b9e4571 ... d9d5cec761
I have it, 2 songs, Hey Now and Four Flame Candle. PM me

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

If anyone has a single for Sturgill at the Ryman on Oct 29th, hit me up.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

This hasn't really spurned any discussion here but I've seen some folks take Sturgill to task for what they see as "posturing" and for overstating the obvious. They feel he would have more to lose if he was an artist that has been more accepted by the Nashville establishment. There have been at least a couple articles written about his tirade that share this viewpoint, this is one of them. By the way, they are aware of the update to Sturgill's initial post where he has no problem with an artist like Miranda Lambert being the recipient of the Merle Haggard Award.
The bigger question is why Simpson should give a shit. OK, country music has a real navel-gazing obsession with its own authenticity. But Simpson has gone out of his way to separate himself from country music, not only saying that he "just doesn't see [himself] as a country singer" but also releasing a record earlier this year, A Sailor's Guide to Earth, that is steadfastly not a country record.

Chiding the Academy — which has never so much as nominated Simpson for an award, even though he's made two of the best records of anyone, anywhere, in the past three years — does, however, make for an opportunity to play the outlaw role. Like it or not, that makes for its own bit of opportunism, and looks more than a little like Simpson trying to have things both ways.
Miranda Lambert Deserves the Merle Haggard Award, No Matter What Sturgill Simpson Says

Sturgill Simpson, a self-avowed non-country singer, expressed strong feelings about a new country music award this week.
Mike Brooks

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

thank you sturgill, patterson, cooley, jason, my daughter, and many others, for saying whatever the fuck you want.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

Finally got the Bastard Children EP! :D
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Sturgill was booked to play at the Newport here at Columbus, which holds around 1700 people (or thereabouts). The ticket went so fast that they moved to a 2200 capacity venue which then sold out.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

Took a big break on Sailor's Guide but came back to it recently when I had to make a long drive. Truly fantastic album.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I have never known of Surgill to say he isnt a country singer. At least not exactly like that. He said he wasn't sure that was what he was because all music is basically soul music to him or something along those lines. He might have said it but I didn't know he did. I do know he has always distanced himself from Nashville but he's mostly talked about it in a pretty diplomatic way. The most pointed thing I had heard him say before his Merle Haggard post was he called Nashville a shark tank. It is.

He's always shied away from criticizing mainstream country artists until now. I'm not sure what lead him to change course but I'm guessing it was Merel Haggard's death. He has talked a lot about what a fan he is.

He told Marc Maron, "I'm a country singer. I mean I admit that." But he was talking about Sailor's Guide not being a country record. It's up for debate as to whether it is or isn't. I think it is.

I'm a really big Sturgill fan. Silor's Guide is my least favorite of his three records but it's not like I hate it or even dislike it. I just like the other two better.

The only problem I had with the Facebook post was the stuff about knowing that as he typed it there would be suits in Nashville sitting around tables black balling him etc. it may be exactly like that. I just personally thought he sounded a little tin foil hat when he said it.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Cole Younger wrote:I have never known of Surgill to say he isnt a country singer. At least not exactly like that. He said he wasn't sure that was what he was because all music is basically soul music to him or something along those lines. He might have said it but I didn't know he did. I do know he has always distanced himself from Nashville but he's mostly talked about it in a pretty diplomatic way. The most pointed thing I had heard him say before his Merle Haggard post was he called Nashville a shark tank. It is.

He's always shied away from criticizing mainstream country artists until now. I'm not sure what lead him to change course but I'm guessing it was Merel Haggard's death. He has talked a lot about what a fan he is.

He told Marc Maron, "I'm a country singer. I mean I admit that." But he was talking about Sailor's Guide not being a country record. It's up for debate as to whether it is or isn't. I think it is.

I'm a really big Sturgill fan. Silor's Guide is my least favorite of his three records but it's not like I hate it or even dislike it. I just like the other two better.

The only problem I had with the Facebook post was the stuff about knowing that as he typed it there would be suits in Nashville sitting around tables black balling him etc. it may be exactly like that. I just personally thought he sounded a little tin foil hat when he said it.

I agree I think it is a country album, but with many influences. I have listened to a lot of Sturgill interviews like the Maron one you referenced, he regularly says that Gaye's Whats Going On is his favorite album of all time, there is your soul reference. In his first interview with Joe Rogan, which is very good by the way, he references his career plan. That is to make 5 albums and call it quits. Basically says he has it all planned out already, and that each is going to be more different than the previous. I think he has lived up to that so far.

By the way if anyone can find the link to Live at the Artists Den from last week of the full show it would be much appreciated.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

hendooman wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:I have never known of Surgill to say he isnt a country singer. At least not exactly like that. He said he wasn't sure that was what he was because all music is basically soul music to him or something along those lines. He might have said it but I didn't know he did. I do know he has always distanced himself from Nashville but he's mostly talked about it in a pretty diplomatic way. The most pointed thing I had heard him say before his Merle Haggard post was he called Nashville a shark tank. It is.

I agree I think it is a country album, but with many influences. I have listened to a lot of Sturgill interviews like the Maron one you referenced, he regularly says that Gaye's Whats Going On is his favorite album of all time, there is your soul reference. In his first interview with Joe Rogan, which is very good by the way, he references his career plan. That is to make 5 albums and call it quits. Basically says he has it all planned out already, and that each is going to be more different than the previous. I think he has lived up to that so far.

By the way if anyone can find the link to Live at the Artists Den from last week of the full show it would be much appreciated.
I heard the 5 album plan too, but I have to wonder if he'll stick to that. He's released three in 4-5 years and he's only in his mid-late 30's. The most recent one had songs kinda written to/for his young son.....did he have that planned going into the first one ?

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

http://www.relix.com/blogs/detail/noted ... _interview

Well now he wants to be here for 10 more years, let's hope so.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Congrats to Sturgill for 2 huge Grammy nominations, Album of the Year & Country Album of the Year.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

late to the thread here but i loved his podcast w/ Maron... gained a lot of respect for him (i just didn't know much about him beforehand).

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I listened to "In Bloom" this morning before work and have been singing it all day.

I'm normally only marginally excited by covers, but the song is so well done with Sturgill's spin on it.

It honestly makes me wonder how the world would have reacted if Sturgill had released "In Bloom" when I was in high school, rather than Nirvana!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Beaverdam wrote:I listened to "In Bloom" this morning before work and have been singing it all day.

I'm normally only marginally excited by covers, but the song is so well done with Sturgill's spin on it.

It honestly makes me wonder how the world would have reacted if Sturgill had released "In Bloom" when I was in high school, rather than Nirvana!
I just read back a few posts and some don't like simpson's addition at the end.

Weekend assignment...listen to cobain and Simpson and write a compare/contrast essay!

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Has anyone heard any kind of word on more shows in the US? I've got to imagine the "Sailors..." Tour has a small victory lap left in it, at the very least. Lots of markets still untapped.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Sturgill gonna be on SNL this weekend

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

rlipps wrote:Sturgill gonna be on SNL this weekend
Awesome. Maybe additional dates to couple with the appearance? Hoping I don't have to see him in an arena next time he is around...

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:there was a Sturgill reference on the 11 PM PST Sportscenter last night. Something along the line of "(outfielder whose name I don't recall) covers the ground like Sturgill Simpson does Broadway," or something of that ilk

That's all I've got
heard one again last night, though this time it was, "(certain athlete) is rockin' the suburbs like Sturgill Simpson!"

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
rlipps wrote:Sturgill gonna be on SNL this weekend
Awesome. Maybe additional dates to couple with the appearance? Hoping I don't have to see him in an arena next time he is around...
After the Grammy nominations, I think he said in an interview he had planned to take off 18 months, but that he'd proabably have to go back on tour to capitalize on the momentum.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I was in Gander Mountain today and heard Long White Line playing in the store.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Cole Younger wrote:I was in Gander Mountain today and heard Long White Line playing in the store.
had to Google "Gander Mountain,' guess they aren't out here in northern CA. My first reaction was that it was a town in Georgia I'd never heard of :lol:

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:I was in Gander Mountain today and heard Long White Line playing in the store.
had to Google "Gander Mountain,' guess they aren't out here in northern CA. My first reaction was that it was a town in Georgia I'd never heard of :lol:
Lol. Not a bad guess to tell you the truth. As I typed it I thought, "I bet nobody here is going g to know what in the world that is.". Lol.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cole Younger wrote:
Lol. Not a bad guess to tell you the truth. As I typed it I thought, "I bet nobody here is going g to know what in the world that is.". Lol.
I know.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Cole Younger wrote:
Never been in one, but I see the one in Bowling Green, KY right off I-65 when we head down to Nashville.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Found myself in Gander Mountain,
Long White Line playing in the store.
Rockin' out to Sturgill Simpson,
'til I can't rock out no more