AoTW: Ty Segall (7/14/2014)

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dee dee

AoTW: Ty Segall (7/14/2014)

Post by dee dee »

Ty Segall has been dominating my IPod for the last couple years and I’ll try my best to share what I love about Segall. At 27 years old and with eight solo albums and one more coming next month, collaborations with White Fence and Mikal Cronin, and being part of other bands such as Fuzz, The Traditional Fools, and the Epislons the obvious word to describe Segall is prolific. With a Black Sabbath tattoo on one arm and a Neil Young tattoo on the other, Segall brings some diverse sounds to the table. His sound can be garage rock, ear pounding hard rock with some of the most pleasant screams in rock music, Nuggets style 60s pop psych or dreamy acoustic but no matter what he does he is really good at writing strong songs full of guitar riffs that stick in my head and hooks that I catch myself singing along with. Dude can take some sounds and make it into an interesting pop song.

I'm going to take a look at Segall's (and company) Twins, Slaughterhouse, Hair, and Sleeper as well as some of his other songs that have caught my attention over the next couple days.

The first Ty Segall album I fell hard for was Twins. Twins is a good example of the different sounds of Segall, falling somewhere in between the blistering "Slaughterhouse" and the Beatles influenced "Hair". The approach takes Segall’s favorite sounds of the 60s and 70s and makes them seem relevant to our time.

The opener "Thank God For Sinners" is probably my favorite Segall song. Fuzzy guitars, sweet riffs, a chorus that sticks in your head, the wild jam at the end.. a good synopsis of a lot that is great about Ty. Here's the official video followed by a heavy live version:

"You're the Doctor" is so frenzied while so simultaneously catchy that it makes me dizzy. Pure garage rock bliss. Here's Ty playing it live at Permanent Records as well as the studio version.:

"Inside Your Heart" has a darker vibe than the preceding songs but leads me to a sort of head bobbing trance. I like the sludgy guitars. Here's a live version.

"The Hill" intermingles a psychedelic Beatles sound with the heavy fuzzy guitars. The video is appropriately weird.

"Would You Be My Love" finds more fuzzy guitars intertwined with Lennon type vocals and Segall longing for a lady to love him. Here's the studio version.

"Ghost" is a fuzzy reverb filled slow jam.

"They Told Me Too" is more chaos with some glam rock with ear catching drums while "Love Fuzz" slows it down but keeps the glam sound.

(NSFW)

"Handglams" is a great example of Segall taking falsetto vocals and mixing them with head pounding power chords. Live version (with the falsetto dialed back) below:

"Who are You" sounds like something that could fit on a Nuggets comp if it weren't for the blistering guitar. Fun drums in this one too.

"Gold on the Shore" is the first acoustic number on Twins and is a nice psych folk tune which gives a good idea of what 2013's Sleeper sounds like.

The Sid Barrett influenced psych song "There is No Tomorrow" closes out the album in fine fashion.

From Pitchfork's review of Twins http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/17133-twins/:
His final "thank you" in the liner notes goes to Neil Young, an artist who, as soon as the masses pegged him with a genre, did whatever the fuck he wanted to do and didn't look back; who never compromised on his vision, even when it meant making a bizarre, shitty rockabilly album in 1983; who famously "headed for the ditch" when he felt his radio hits were "middle of the road." Twins doesn't stick to the middle or even pick a lane. It swerves, visiting territory well-tread with a perspective that feels new, and knowing Segall, he probably won't make another album that sounds like it any time soon.
Last edited by dee dee on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TW_2.0

Re: AoTW: Ty Segall (7/14/2014)

Post by TW_2.0 »

Been waiting for this one. SWEET

Can't wait to dig in. Thanks dee dee.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Way to go, dee dee. Keep 'em coming.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Ty Segall is certainly one of the best things to happen to rock music over the last several years.

btb, he's FINALLY playing Boston (at the same place you were last night), so hop on tickets now if it's not already sold out.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

"I want to do a total glam Stooges-meets-Hawkwind or Sabbath, something like that. I think that would be super fun. I want to throw people off. I want to make a really heavy record: evil, evil space rock. Put a little Satan in space and you got the sound. Hawkwind's 'Silver Machine' meets Sabbath's 'N.I.B.' meets Hawkwind's 'Master of the Universe.'"

Another of Ty Segall's mighty 2012 trifecta, Slaughterhouse is the only album released under the "Ty Segall Band" moniker. With Mikal Cronin on bass, Charlie Moothart on guitar, and Emily Rose Epstein on drums, the Ty Segall band is Segall's most common supporting band. Slaughterhouse is Segall's heaviest album and despite the heaviness most of the songs maintain the sweet hooks that are a staple of Segall's work. I could see the heaviness of Slaughterhouse turn some of you off as it did to me in my first few listens. These days it probably is about my 2 or 3 in the Ty catalog. This one is not a Drag City release so it is available on Spotify if you want to check it out. I'll post live versions when possible.

"Death" opens with a head splitting barrage of feedback before shifting to some heavy rock n roll.

"I Bought My Eyes" opens on a more quiet note before ascending into riff laden insanity.

The title track is short, sweet, devoid of any pop sound and features some of my favorite screams ever.

"The Tongue" and "Tell Me What's Inside Your Heart" followed by "Wave Goodbye" are the mighty trifecta of this album. Featuring Ty's ability to simultaneously write hooks with the heavy fuzz laden guitars and even some screams, they flat out rock.

"Muscle Man" is a 90 second gem that brings some of that catchy Nuggets sound that Ty likes to do.

"That's the Bag I'm In" is a cover from the band The Fabs and "Diddy Wah Diddy" covers Bo Didley. Segall and company make these into heavy garage hook laden insanity.

"Oh Mary" appeared on Segall's self-titled debut. The Ty Segall Band version is a little less lo-fi sounding and a little more aggressive.

"Fuzz War" closes out the album and is a 10 minute example of the evil space rock Segall was referring to in the aforementioned interview.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:Ty Segall is certainly one of the best things to happen to rock music over the last several years.

btb, he's FINALLY playing Boston (at the same place you were last night), so hop on tickets now if it's not already sold out.

Seriously? I didn't see that on any of the calendars/posters/flyers tacked up on every wall of the place. Thanks for the tip.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

tinnitus photography

well he did play as Fuzz at the same place last year, but i've been waiting for a proper Ty Segall show for some time.

after the show, he was up at the water cooler getting a drink and i talked to him.

"Ty, why don't you ever play Boston?"

"well, I'm here now, aren't I?"

couldn't argue w/ that one.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Ty Segall and White Fence - Hair
Another of Ty Segall's 2012 barrage of greatness, this collaboration with White Fence (Tim Presley) takes it's cue from 60s psych. This has a much more laid back vibe than Slaughterhouse and Twins and is heavy on hooks and psych. When I discovered Segall in 2012 I was more taken by Twins and Slaughterhouse and Hair probably got the fewest listens but as I write this article I'm much more taken by this album's catchy, dreamy, trippy sound. I'm a novice at best on the many artists which this album is influenced by but as I browse the reviews some of the names/albums I see are: Keith Richards, Syd Barrett, Captain Beefheart, George Harrison, Sgt. Peppers, Pink Floyd's Pipers at the Gates of Dawn, The Yardbirds, Eddie Cochran, John Lennon, Alexander 'Skip' Spence, Ty Rex, The Cramps, and The Ventures.
Another Drag City release you can't get on Spotify. I included the 3 Room 205 versions which are awesome for being more jammy and the weird video.
The opener "Time" opens with some strange trippy chant/harmonies intertwined with a few power chords, before settling into a dreamy psych folk number (pass the bowl dude), and then ending with a blast of fuzzy jamming.

Room 205:

The frenetic "I Am Not a Game" is anchored by a kind of psychedelic organ sound. The bursts of shredding guitar reminds you that Ty Segall and the mighty riff is here. Nuggets sound made modern.
Studio version

Room 205 version

"Easy Ryder" has a laid back surf groove to it. I like it, but to me its one of the weaker numbers on the album but I could see some digging it a lot.

"The Black Glove/Rag" opens with some creepy whispers before shifting into a dreamy psych/folk number and then morphing into the wild part of your LSD trip, turning up the sneering vocals and fuzz.

"Crybaby" is a fun little number which sounds like rockabilly run through a silly punk rock grinder.

"(I Can't) Get Around You" brings the hooks with gnarly guitars and some weird background noise.

"Scissor People" starts off with that hooky 60s Nuggets sound before shifting to bursts of shifting guitars. My favorite track on the album.
Studio version

Room 205

"Tongues" closes out the album on a strong note with a trippy Beatles sound intertwined with a nice bass riff and some noise that takes nothing away from the pop psych feel of the song.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Good stuff, dee dee. For whatever reason, I've never been able to take the plunge with Ty. I'm assuming Twins is where I should jump into the pool. Can you confirm or deny this for me?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

cortez the killer wrote:Good stuff, dee dee. For whatever reason, I've never been able to take the plunge with Ty. I'm assuming Twins is where I should jump into the pool. Can you confirm or deny this for me?

I'd probably recommend Twins if I were trying to turn a blank slate onto Ty. IMO, Twins shows the different sides of Ty about as well as any. The others I am most familiar with are more genre specific. Hair is pretty easy on the ears (not as heavy) and if you like 60s psych wouldn't be a bad starting point either. I'd think Slaughterhouse is so heavy it might turn you off (maybe I'm wrong). Sleeper is super mellow.

cortez the killer

Twins it is.
- DPM

tinnitus photography

I would vote for _Goodbye Bread_

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

tinnitus photography wrote:I would vote for _Goodbye Bread_

I haven't listened to it as much as the stuff from 2012 on. Need to change that.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

can not wait to dig into this one.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Ty Segall - Drag City Sleeper commercials

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

You Spin Me Round - 5 records with Ty

Confessions with Ty Segall

Interview w/ Ty

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Ty Segall - Sleeper

After the superheavy Slaughterhouse, the semi-heavy Twins, and the psych-rock of Hair, Ty dialed it back about on an almost all acoustic album of psych-folk. Influences here seem to come from early Marc Bolan, Syd Barrett, and John Lennon. Sleeper has a much more reflective and introspective vibe than his previous stuff. Lyrically, I find it to be the best stuff Segall has written. Written after the death of his adoptive father and a falling out with his mother you can get where Segall is coming from, but the songs are anything but straightforward. While this album may not have been a favorite of those who favor the more fuzzy or garagey sound of Segall, but I think the divergence from these paths and the quality songs on this album only cement Segall's place as a quality artist, vocally and as a songwriter, who can take chances and succeed.

The title track comes across as a song about the memories of the time spent in a stoned deep period of sadness with a significant other helping you along the way. I've read that this started out as a song for his girlfriend... "Oh sleeper, My dreamer, I dream a dream for you... I want to sleep all day with you."

"The Keepers" seems like a dark, introspective tune. Paste Magazine says of this one: “The Keepers” crawls slow like an injured Destrier, whispers of Zuma twisting in its tangled mane. Segall drawls an evil self-evaluation, “Look in the mirror / See what you see / Be what you be … We drink the water / We drink the wine / We are the animals / We are the swine.” and AV Club says On “The Keepers,” there’s a light bed of drums to back up the cyclical chord progression and Bowie-esque vocal cadence that’s all very hypnotic and pretty, until a remarkably stark line—“The youth is wasting the earth’s last breath”—unsuspectingly stops listeners cold.

"Crazy" was said to be written in the moment and feels like Ty is reaching back into his childhood as he sings lovingly of his father and not so much of his mother. Segall's ability to write catchy little tunes comes into focus here. Love the guitar at the end.

"The Man Man" his the album's song about his father death. According to the liner notes, "An Ode to the Man Man" was an alternative album title and the song feels to me like the center of the album. The only electric guitar on the album on the happen at about 2:15 of this song and is one tasty riff. Official video below as well as a live version.

"She Don't Care" seems to be in reference to his mother's response to the death of Ty's father. Some of the only non Ty instruments in the album comes from the violin in this song.

"Come Outside" features Segall showcasing strong falsetto vocals and a stuttering percussion arrangement.

"6th Street" has a psych folk feel with dreamy harmonies and then an especially bluesy guitar to close out the song.

"Sweet C.C." is has a early Marc Bolan (Ty Rex) psych-folk feel. Spooky drugged out background whispers are found under the surface.

"Queen Lullaby" feels like it comes out of a dream where you are running with 50 pound cement blocks stuck to your feet until you break free at the end and run into some monster distortion.

"The West" feels like Ty Segall doing a little bit of country and seems to serve as a good bye to his deceased father.
Last edited by dee dee on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Lasts year's Fuzz project featured Ty on drums. Here is the promotional description for one of their 7":

San Francisco group FUZZ is comprised of lifelong pals Charles Mootheart & Ty Segall (and rounded out live by ex-Moonheart Roland Cosio on bass), FUZZ brings the heavy; addictive & ferocious slabs of doomy fuzzed-out psychedelic rock & fucking ROLL that break open the gates of Hades & lurch forward like rabid hounds of Hell! Bring earplugs.

Since it's first issue in 1966, the 'Fuzz Face' pedal has sung it's distorted siren song & lured many a burgeoning guitar player to the rock. Hendrix & Townshend swore by them, and apparently so does the San Francisco group FUZZ!... OOF - Tinnitus here we come! This hot 2-songer is two addictive & ferocious slabs of doomy fuzzed-out rock & fucking ROLL that break open the gates of Hades & lurch forward like rabid hounds of Hell! Comprised of lifelong pals Charles Mootheart & Ty Segall (and rounded out live by ex-Moonheart Roland Cosio on bass), FUZZ brings the heavy; "This Time I Got A Reason" & "Fuzz's Fourth Dream" are both flaming embers of molten rock that evoke a serpentine head-banging & rage skyward on evil riffs like the red-headed stepchildren of Black Sabbath, Blue Cheer, Jerusalem & Wicked Lady! W-W-Whoah!

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Older Assorted Ty Segall singles

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Teaser to Ty's upcoming release, Manipulator, and a single from the album entitled "Feel".

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Performing "Feel" on Conan earlier this week

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Ty is going to be on Marc Maron's WTF podcast on Thursday. It should be a good one. He will be performing a tune at the end.

http://www.wtfpod.com/

cortez the killer

dee dee wrote:Ty Segall and White Fence - Hair
Another of Ty Segall's 2012 barrage of greatness, this collaboration with White Fence (Tim Presley) takes it's cue from 60s psych. This has a much more laid back vibe than Slaughterhouse and Twins and is heavy on hooks and psych. When I discovered Segall in 2012 I was more taken by Twins and Slaughterhouse and Hair probably got the fewest listens but as I write this article I'm much more taken by this album's catchy, dreamy, trippy sound. I'm a novice at best on the many artists which this album is influenced by but as I browse the reviews some of the names/albums I see are: Keith Richards, Syd Barrett, Captain Beefheart, George Harrison, Sgt. Peppers, Pink Floyd's Pipers at the Gates of Dawn, The Yardbirds, Eddie Cochran, John Lennon, Alexander 'Skip' Spence, Ty Rex, The Cramps, and The Ventures.

Picked this up a few days ago and it (along with The Kinks) is dominating my ears. Fantastic stuff.
- DPM

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

Ty Segall and the Muggers' recent performance on Colbert:

I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.