R.I.P., Johnny Winter

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

R.I.P., Johnny Winter

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

This record (on 8-track) is one of the places where I first heard rock n' roll as a kid thanks to one of my older brothers. News of Johnny Winter's passing seems to have passed the rumor stage with the latest being that an official statement is being readied by his family. Right up there with Hendrix as one of the greats, sadly he's considered more of an unsung hero these days, which wasn't at all the case when I was a kid. I've had a couple of opportunities to see him in concert in recent years, both times plans were thwarted at the last minute due to health reasons that I just couldn't avoid. After that second time, I figured it just wasn't meant to be. R.I.P., Mr. Winter.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P., Johnny Winter

Post by Jonicont »

Damn, that sucks. Clearly one of the greats. Second Winter is a masterpiece. Saw that tour and the one above at the Fillmore. RIP
Always go to the show

Kudzu Guillotine

Jonicont wrote:Damn, that sucks. Clearly one of the greats. Second Winter is a masterpiece. Saw that tour and the one above at the Fillmore. RIP
Second Winter is one of the first 15 or so records that I ever owned as a kid and is also the first double album I recall seeing that left one side intentionally blank, which also made it stand out. Without consulting any sources, off the top of my head I seem to recall it being because that's exactly the amount of music Winter wanted on it. No more, no less. Of course that didn't stop a lot of us from trying to play that side of the album just to see. As I recall, the needle would just glide straight across it.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Jonicont wrote:Damn, that sucks. Clearly one of the greats. Second Winter is a masterpiece. Saw that tour and the one above at the Fillmore. RIP
Second Winter is one of the first 15 or so records that I ever owned as a kid and is also the first double album I recall seeing that left one side intentionally blank, which also made it stand out. Without consulting any sources, off the top of my head I seem to recall it being because that's exactly the amount of music Winter wanted on it. No more, no less. Of course that didn't stop a lot of us from trying to play that side of the album just to see. As I recall, the needle would just glide straight across it.
I seem to recall that he insisted on it being spread out over 3 sides so the quality wouldn't suffer
Always go to the show

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

My honey dropped this one on me less than an hour ago. Mother Fucker! RIP Johnny.

Second Winter has 11 songs on it. It seems weird that that wouldn't fit on 2 sides of vinyl but maybe I've been livining in the cd age for so long my memory of records has faded considerably.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Got to light one of his concerts about 7 years ago. Definitely a unique guy; toured in a Winnebago, didn't talk much. He needed a wheelchair to get around, but wouldn't be seen in one on stage. So we helped him from the bus to the side of the stage in the wheelchair, where he then walked on stage, sat down, and rocked your face off.

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Rest in Peace Johnny Dawson Winter -

Sad news for sure...hasd the honor of seeing him live quite a few times recently at BB Kings here in Manhattan...That cat schooled so many guitarists it isn't even funny. Last time I saw him was at LGA airport and stopped to chat with him for a few minutes...he was impressed I mentioned tracks like "Mean Town Blues" " Leland Mississippi Blues" etc...playing with Muddy Waters...man on man...that cat played like no other....Second Winter? One of the best records out there...with songs like "I love everyone" & "I hate everyone"..how can you go wrong...

"Play the blues in heaven my fellow Pisces frind"

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Oh wow, I hadn't heard this. Very sad news. One of the all-time greats.

And he'll always be the answer to one of rock n roll's great trivia questions: Who were the Allman Bros opening for when they recorded Fillmore East?

RIP
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Kudzu Guillotine

For those with SiriusXM because Lord knows, with the current state of radio Johnny Winter's passing isn't likely to warrant a mention or even the playing of his music today. The latter would probably require the disabling of software to make happen anyway.
Listen to Earle Bailey today, starting at 12pm ET / 9am PT on SiriusXM Deep Tracks 27 as we pay homage to the late great Johnny Winter.

mhc

Post by mhc »

John Dawson Winter III
I'm at a loss of words, for me this hurts as much as Garcia and Levon Helm. My Uncle Buddy turned me on to Johnny when I was about 18-19 years old. This album "And" and particularly this song "no time to live" just does something to me. Finally got to see Johnny in 1997 and saw him about 6 times up until last year in Clearwater, Florida. Each time he was getting stronger and the last time he cranked out the "Rock and Roll" side of Johnny playing all the rock that made him so great.
RIP Johnny Winter

http://youtu.be/4aoJubF1vgY
"I wonder who gets the donkey"
Clams

mhc

Post by mhc »

Got no time, now for thinkin'
Got no time to wonder why
But I got time for one more drink babe
An I got time to say goodbye
Yes I can make it if I try

I'll miss you Johnny Winter
"I wonder who gets the donkey"
Clams

Hud

Post by Hud »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Image

This record (on 8-track) is one of the places where I first heard rock n' roll as a kid thanks to one of my older brothers. News of Johnny Winter's passing seems to have passed the rumor stage with the latest being that an official statement is being readied by his family. Right up there with Hendrix as one of the greats, sadly he's considered more of an unsung hero these days, which wasn't at all the case when I was a kid. I've had a couple of opportunities to see him in concert in recent years, both times plans were thwarted at the last minute due to health reasons that I just couldn't avoid. After that second time, I figured it just wasn't meant to be. R.I.P., Mr. Winter.
Cut my teeth on this same 8 track (book of matches under it & all), it just floored me and still does!

Still Alive and Well lived on my turntable for quite awhile later on, loved Johnny's comments before and after songs like 'let it bleed'. etc.

Thanks Johnny!!!!!
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Kudzu Guillotine

Johnny Winter, 'Death Letter'

October 23, 2014 • Watching blues legend Johnny Winter make his final studio recording is both heartbreaking and magical. The video, directed by filmmaker Greg Olliver, opens at Carriage House Studios in Stamford, Conn. where we see Winter shuffle up to a mic in his loafers, slightly hunched and clutching a guitar. Showing the signs of age, he settles onto a stool, slips on a guitar slide and picks out a few notes. "Ready?" he asks, just before breaking into a perfectly ragged version of the Son House classic "Death Letter."As the video unfolds, we get an intimate glimpse into Winter's life on the road and love of music, as he greets cheering fans, signs autographs and performs on various stages around the world. Winter died in July at the age of 70, two days after performing at a blues festival in France.Paul Nelson, Winter's producer, recalls recording what would be Winter's final studio performance. "I had one of those moments where you just knew what you were watching was magic and history in the making," he tells us via email. "This was Johnny playing the way he loved most, paying tribute to the past while making the song his own. This track was recorded in one take. Amazing.""Death Letter" appears on Winter's final album, Step Back, released posthumously on Sept. 2.