AotW (7/6/14): B$G P$MP$N... The Saga of Natural Child

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

AotW (7/6/14): B$G P$MP$N... The Saga of Natural Child

Post by cortez the killer »

“Our sound comes from lots of banjo porch sittin’, moonshinin’, crawlin’ around in the yard, beer-drenched, beer-battered chicken skin, sweat-energized, Appalachian trash sandwich…”

Underneath the shiny veneer of Nashville’s bustling music scene, lies a grimy underground populated by bands like PUJOL, Jeff the Brotherhood, Heavy Cream, Turbo Fruits, Diarrhea Planet & D Watusi. These bands aren’t booked at the Grand Old Opry or the Ryman Auditorium. Instead they sweat it out in places like Exit/In, Glen Danzig’s House, The End, The Basement & The Stone Fox. The following tale is about one of the finest bands to emerge from Music City’s dive bar scene, Natural Child.

In 2009, while stuffing their faces with weed brownies, singer/bassist, Wes Traylor, and drummer, Zack Martin, called up singer/guitarist Seth Murray and made a request to make all their rock ‘n’ roll dreams come true. The dream consisted of the following scenario – Connect with fellow Nashvillian, Jack White, have him introduce the band to Keith Richards, and open for The Rolling Stones on their farewell tour, thus having “the greatest rock ‘n’ roll band in the world” torch officially passed on to them. With Seth on board, half serious & half joking, Natural Child set out on a blistering pace, hitting the road for over 200 shows/year. In between touring, the band somehow managed to crank out four albums (1971, For the Love of the Game, Hard in Heaven, Dancin’ with Wolves) as well as a number of singles and EPs (Natural Child 7’’, Bodyswitchers, White Man’s Burden, Mother Nature’s Daughter, Surf N Turf, CRS Blues).

Throughout the week, The Gutter Twins, in a joint venture, pledge to do their best to better familiarize you with (or further enhance your love for) the raunchy, lowbrow wonder that is Natty Chile. For now, we leave you with the following videos from a recent Rollo & Grady session.

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

bovine knievel

Re: AotW (7/6/14): B$G P$MP$N... The Saga of Natural Child

Post by bovine knievel »

The Gutter Twins! :lol:
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

bovine knievel wrote:The Gutter Twins! :lol:

Mark Lanegan and Greg Dulli would like a word with Cortez.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

cortez the killer

Duke Silver wrote:

I'm thinking if I drop the caps, not only will it be more apropos, it will also get Mark & Greg off my back.
- DPM

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cortez gonna get all gangsta on us.

edit: wait, I thought you said "bust a cap". Nevermind.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

"…YEAH, WELL, NOW THEY SOUND LIKE BOB DYLAN, THE STONES, STOOGES, NEIL YOUNG, WAYLON JENNINGS… WELL, EVEN WILLIE. I GUESS THEY’VE BEEN AT IT FOR A COUPLE YEARS NOW. BACK IN SUMMER OF '09, BACK WHEN I MET EM, WEZ AND ZACK WERE EATIN WEED BROWNIES AND THEY REALIZED THEY NEEDED SETH IN THE BAND. WELL, THEY DECIDED THEREFORE AND THEN TO START THE GREATEST ROCK N’ ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD-- NATURAL CHILD. PROBABLY KNOWN AS MUCH FOR WHAT THEY SAY AS WHAT THEY DO, THEY’VE EARNED A REPUTATION OF GIVING AUDIENCES THE STRAIGHT DEAL. WORLDWIDE. THEY ARE CURRENTLY IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING BILL WYMAN’S BASS AMP FROM 1970. GOD BLESS EM.”
-Leon Russell

attributed to leon russell on natural child facebook.

i think they're lying.

if leon russell has heard natty child, he has moved up a few spots in my book.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

cortez the killer wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

I'm thinking if I drop the caps, not only will it be more apropos, it will also get Mark & Greg off my back.

leave the grammar to dime!

cortez the killer

Early video of the band performing "Crack Mountain" at Grimey's in Nashville (showing their punk roots):

- DPM

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Me like.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

dime in the gutter

in the beginning.......so a couple of stoner friends from nashvegas decide to get together and form the world's greatest rock band. they wanted to tour and they wanted to record. lots of both.

2009: natural child self-titled 7"

booze is to faces as pot is to natural child. these slackers smoke alot of grass and listen to a shit ton of music. on this debut 7", all the smoke and good rock and roll are distilled into short, direct, hilarious takes on being a loser touring band trying to take over the world. month after month after month of riding in a van, ripping bong hits and writing about it. living the dream, mother fuckers. after just a few short months and dozens and dozens of gigs, natural child released their self-titled debut ep. a hazy, hard blast of punk and 80's alt-radio rock.

mom just told me, everybody smokes weed

released on 4/20.

shame walking: he got those eyes...... screaming from the rooftops. no pretension. unashamed. off pitch, high wail of seth murray singing about getting high and fighting off the advances of his momma, either baby or real...it is unclear. early 60's guitar lines. mom just told me, i'm getting horny.
crack mountain: more fuck you or fucked up? dual vox. frenzied. driving, loopy bass lines. jerry lee lewis piano riffs. big country style guitar solos. all while telling the old man to fuck off. they just want to smoke crack with their friends. see vid posted by cortez.
cougar: reminds me of early 80's radio friendly english new wavish punk rock (i think linkous has an official name for this sound). obvious influence is obvious replacements influence on the closing vocal run. self agrandizing, lyrics reminiscent of gangsta rap.
dogbite: well, i don't wanna fuck you, but i got to......not much more to say about this one lyrically. it is not hiding the truth. and strangely enough, it is a happy, sing-along for all that are within ear shot. gender be damned.

dudes pack a lot into a very short 10 mins. they also set the table for what would become their mantra over the next several years....tour, write, record.

love this band.....it's always about the party.

to be continued.......
Last edited by dime in the gutter on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

dime in the gutter

mic stands are crucial to this pic.

cortez the killer

ImageImage
Bodyswitchers (2010)

Originally released in January 2010 on Infinity Cat as a cassette. Limited to 100 copies. After it sold out, it was given away by the band as a free download on their now-defunct blog. Too short to be considered an LP. Too long to be called an EP. Reissued in 2011 by Infinity Cat on CD with new artwork. Is that a young Stevie Nicks? To call the production primitive does not do it justice.

1. "Guns N' Rosebeds" Sunny, but fuzzed out, slice of power pop, Natty Chile style. Somewhere Axl is fuming.
2. "Dark Side of the Moon" Distorted nugget chugs along and bears zero resemblance to the band its title pays homage to.
3. "Body Switchers" Brief instrumental. Could be Wes simply tuning up. Some might call this "filler."
4. "Nobody Wants to Party with Me" Here we go. Twenty beers and I should be gone. I'm throwin' up in your front lawn. Your lights are off, but I know you're home. Nobody wants to party with me. And the music might be cruder than the lyrics. Video evidence below.
5. "Antichrist" Guitars sound like some twisted, demonic bastard child of Buffalo Springfield & Black Sabbath. Amidst the wicked distortion an acoustic guitar shuffles in looking for some space. It's abruptly ushered out by what sounds like a pointy, ugly, cheap guitar losing its shit. The Antichrist is comin', so start runnin'. He will bring the end of time. Steal your child and break your mind.
6. "Swing Story" More Sabbath aping. Standing in the street. Standing in the road. Wish I had some weed. Fucking with my phone. With my phone. Some might also call this "filler."
7. "Cocksucker Blues Blues" Nod & a wink to their one true love - The Glimmer Twins. Might be a live track. Sounds as if they're singing at the bottom of an abandoned well.

Last edited by cortez the killer on Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Upcoming Tour Dates
Jul 12
Hi-Dive
Denver, CO

Jul 14
Neurolux
Boise, ID

Jul 16
Mississippi Studios
Portland, OR

Jul 18
Brick & Mortar Music Hall
San Francisco, CA

Jul 19
The Satellite
Los Angeles, CA

Jul 20
Soda Bar
San Diego, CA

Jul 21
Yucca Tap Room
Tempe, AZ

Jul 24
Walters Downtown
Houston, TX

Aug 07
Mercy Lounge
Nashville, TN

Aug 08
The Mothlight
Asheville, NC

Sep 14
Rotown
Rotterdam, Netherlands

Sep 15
Paradiso Noord, Tolhuistuin
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Sep 15
Incubate
Tilburg, Netherlands

Sep 16
Korova
Liverpool, UK

Sep 17
O2 ABC 2
Glasgow, UK

Sep 18
Brudenell Social Club
Leeds, UK

Sep 19
The Shacklewell Arms
London, UK

Sep 21
Incubate - Day 7
Tilburg, Netherlands

Sep 23
TRIX Centrum voor Muziek
Antwerp, Belgium
- DPM

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Rock and rolling papers 8-)

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Good work boys.

I've been wading into the Natty Chile pool for awhile now and liking what I hear. "Dancing With the Wolves" has gotten pretty strong play with me, but now it's time to dig deeper. Context is always crucial with a new band, and there was spades of it here. Greasy, irreverent, and clever with major rock and roll chops and an eye fixated on the classics. These guys cover a lot of the bases that push my buttons.

dime in the gutter

2010: white man's burden 7"
infinity records

so natural child has proven that they are indeed the dumb ass knuckleheads living next door. they sing loud and proud about sex, drugs and rock and roll. warning: be careful not to underestimate their talent and songwriting moxy. certainly, the boys have musical chops that harken back to their many influences, but they also have the ability to write universal fuck up songs that are tied back into a greater synergy of blinding machismo and searching for truths that remain unanswered....or not. still searching for the lighter. never found it. just bought it. it's got to be here, somewhere.

white man's burden is exactly that. a 3 song set that opens with them blasting about banging heads and smoking blunts and ends with them pondering aloud about racism and privilege and the unsettled scores that accompany such.

bang your head: typical chuck berry riff played by wes traylor on bass, sped up to double time....stoking the fires of unbridled excess and fun living. sounds like a coked up, demented version of manfred mann's doo wah diddy. i banged my head, til i saw blood points to a self awareness that plays out over the next few tunes.
ray thompson's blues: still living the high life. daul vox singing about miami beach and the hotties that abound. a 2nd, white trash cousin to buttholeville. except natural child has reached the beach and their skin is definitely beginning to peel.
white man's burden: slow burn bass riffs morphing into psychedelic, trippy grooves. think hawkwind from nashville. sounds like a total investment into the idea of smoking dmt and searching for the answers about the white man's burden. not even rock and roll is safe....it really never was....just took a little self examination to discover that whitey fucked over the pioneers of rock...and natural child is the beneficiary of these ills.

nothing wrong with shallowness as long as you are insightful about it.

white man's burden

to be continued.......
Last edited by dime in the gutter on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

dime in the gutter wrote:shame walking: he got those eyes...... screaming from the rooftops. no pretension. unashamed. off pitch, high wail of seth murray singing about getting high and fighting off the advances of his momma, either baby or real...it is unclear. early 60's guitar lines. mom just told me, i'm getting horny.
crack mountain: more fuck you or fucked up? dual vox. frenzied. driving, loopy bass lines. jerry lee lewis piano riffs. big country style guitar solos. all while telling the old man to fuck off. they just want to smoke crack with their friends. see vid posted by cortez.
cougar: reminds me of early 80's radio friendly english new wavish punk rock (i think linkous has an official name for this sound). obvious influence is obvious replacements influence on the closing vocal run. self agrandizing, lyrics reminiscent of gangsta rap.
dogbite: well, i don't wanna fuck you, but i got to......not much more to say about this one lyrically. it is not hiding the truth. and strangely enough, it is a happy, sing-along for all that are within ear shot. gender be damned.

Copy I got from eMusic has a 5th track ("Easy Street") I dig it, too.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

dime in the gutter

TW_2.0 wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:shame walking: he got those eyes...... screaming from the rooftops. no pretension. unashamed. off pitch, high wail of seth murray singing about getting high and fighting off the advances of his momma, either baby or real...it is unclear. early 60's guitar lines. mom just told me, i'm getting horny.

Copy I got from eMusic has a 5th track ("Easy Street") I dig it, too.

excellent eye, tw. it is on my copy also, but it is also on the full lp, 1971. i thought i would write it up proper when i review that album.

just for the record....my emusic version of the white man's burden 7" is in the order listed in my review.
1. bang your head
2. ray thompson's blues
3. white man's burden

according to discogs and bandcamp....that track listing is backwards. fucking slackers laughing at us again. perhaps has something to do with vinyl only releases early on for these 7" goodies. pure speculation on my part.

thanks for paying attention.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

dime in the gutter wrote:It is on my copy also, but it is also on the full lp, 1971.

That makes sense. I don't have that one - yet. Would explain it.

I have the aforementioned s/t debut, For the Love... , and Dancin' w/ Wolves. Looking forward to digging into this thread head-first and getting the rest.

While smoking lots of reefer.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

cortez the killer wrote:
Jul 18
Brick & Mortar Music Hall
San Francisco, CA

In.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:4. "Nobody Wants to Party with Me" Here we go. Twenty beers and I should be gone. I'm throwin' up in your front lawn. Your lights are off, but I know you're home. Nobody wants to party with me. And the music might be cruder than the lyrics. Video evidence below.

Coughed up bong hit at the end belongs in "Rock and Roll Minutiae" thread.

dime in the gutter

cortez the killer wrote:Early video of the band performing "Crack Mountain" at Grimey's in Nashville (showing their punk roots):

so fucking awesome.

love the bass unramping at the end.

cortez the killer

dime in the gutter wrote: dogbite: well, i don't wanna fuck you, but i got to......not much more to say about this one lyrically. it is not hiding the truth. and strangely enough, it is a happy, sing-along for all that are within ear shot. gender be damned.

* Video erroneously lists the song as "Shame Walkin'" when it's actually "Dogbite."

Edited to add - Love the "Hand of Fate" Jaggeresque growls near the end.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'll have to add Natty Chile to the list of artists that AotW got me hooked on along with Blue Mountain/Cary Hudson solo, Glossary, Drivin' N' Cryin, Jerry Jeff Walker, Willie Nelson, The Weight and Two Cow Garage.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but AotW is a phenomenal service that this site provides and a big part of what keeps me coming back.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Iowan wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again, but AotW is a phenomenal service that this site provides and a big part of what keeps me coming back.

Word

cortez the killer

TW_2.0 wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:It is on my copy also, but it is also on the full lp, 1971.

That makes sense. I don't have that one - yet. Would explain it.

I have the aforementioned s/t debut, For the Love... , and Dancin' w/ Wolves. Looking forward to digging into this thread head-first and getting the rest.

While smoking lots of reefer.

- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

Great thread, gentlemen.

NP:
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

cortez the killer

Aforementioned bass amp.
- DPM

dime in the gutter

cortez the killer wrote:Image
Aforementioned bass amp.

superb.