2nd tier FM radio dinosaurs from the '70s

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: 2nd tier FM radio dinosaurs from the '70s

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

tinnitus photography wrote:and the FM radio dinosaurs from the 70s would obviously disqualify The Pistols, Clash, et al. Unless your local FM station was a lot different from mine.

WXRT in Chicago played all those bands but they were the exception that proves the rule.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Iowan wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:maybe it was just me and you...

I do question the top three being on any sort of shit list.

Agree with all those who feel the Dan is definitely first tier

The best band of the 1970's you say? The Sex Pistols. Followed by The Clash. Followed by Talking Heads, The Ramones and a host of others.

WTF? Steely Dan a second tier band?

Steely Dan is pretty much in the first tier of any list I'm making of bands from the 70s.

Clearly.

Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa. In fact, when I logged in today, I'd planned to ask you what would be a first-tier band. I so misunderstood that it just wasn't funny except that it was.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I don't consider either Jethro Tull or Santana to be "second tier" by any stretch. If they are then so are the Beatles, Dylan, Zep, Stones, Who, Sabbath, Skynyrd, etc.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Steve French wrote:The best band of the 1970's you say? The Sex Pistols.

They wouldn't be the worst, but they'd be close IMO.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Smitty wrote:

seriously?

If so, interesting.

Meh, its OT to this thread anyway. I'll leave you to discusss Kansas and Steely Dan.

One day, we'll talk about this properly.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Steve French wrote:The best band of the 1970's you say? The Sex Pistols. Followed by The Clash. Followed by Talking Heads, The Ramones and a host of others.

Pretty narrow lens there. Some 1st tier dinosaurs, The Stones & Zeppelin, might take issue with that. And, while not necessarily bands, Neil Young, David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen, Willie Nelson, & Waylon Jennings had a pretty spectacular decade. Although he has since turned into a steaming pile of donkey shit, Rod Stewart got it done in the 70's. Elton John, too.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

John A Arkansawyer

cortez the killer wrote:
Steve French wrote:The best band of the 1970's you say? The Sex Pistols. Followed by The Clash. Followed by Talking Heads, The Ramones and a host of others.

Pretty narrow lens there. Some 1st tier dinosaurs, The Stones & Zeppelin, might take issue with that. And, while not necessarily bands, Neil Young, David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen, Willie Nelson, & Waylon Jennings had a pretty spectacular decade. Although he has since turned into a steaming pile of donkey shit, Rod Stewart got it done in the 70's. Elton John, too.

Can't we just compromise on Roxy Music and all get along? Even Julie Burchill and Tony Parsons thought highly of them.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

John A Arkansawyer

One for Mr. French:

And one for tinnitus:

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

cortez the killer wrote:Pretty narrow lens there. Some 1st tier dinosaurs, The Stones & Zeppelin, might take issue with that. And, while not necessarily bands, Neil Young, David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen, Willie Nelson, & Waylon Jennings had a pretty spectacular decade. Although he has since turned into a steaming pile of donkey shit, Rod Stewart got it done in the 70's. Elton John, too.

Granted. Plus there was the whole "living on the other side of the world in a fucking hick town" aspect of it. We did not have FM radio when I was at high school. It came after, by which time my musical interests had become much more niche.

I'll shut up and let you guys talk about Kansas. And Boston. And America. and Styx. and Foreigner. and Steely dan.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Interesting Concept.

1) ELO -- They had a great run but I can't put them in the first tier. They were more gold than platinum. Total ear candy.
2) Blue Oyster Cult
3) The Outlaws -- not as popular as Skynyrd, not as respected as The Allmans and, when all was said and done, not even as popular as ZZ Top. But these guys have an impressive body of work. The surviving members are still out there on the road.
4) The Marshall Tucker Band -- see above
5) Bad Company
6) Boston -- They only released two albums in the 70's but they provide a disproportionate amount of songs that get played everyday on classic rock/oldies. Tom Scholz's descendents will be getting mailbox money forty years from now.
7) Chicago -- I think they had a hit song just about every year of that decade. Not a bad band at all.
8) Rush -- based on longevity they finally got some respect from the industry in these past five years.
9) T-Rex
10) KISS -- they were the gateway drug for boys born between 1964 and 1970.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:

I'm sort of with Smitty on this. The Sex Pistols seemed to be about everything but the music.

And I say this as someone who thought "Bollocks" was totally bad ass when I was 16.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

The Sex Pistols really only had one proper studio album. But it was a great album. The problem with them, IMO, is Sid Vicious and Malcolm McLaren. The Sex Pistols really didn't get any airplay in the US in the 70's. The Clash got some with London Calling which was released at the very end of the decade.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Kudzu Guillotine

Rush may have been considered a Zep rip-off in their early years mainly based on Geddy Lee's Plant-like shrieking but it wasn't long before they came into their own, especially by the time of 2112. The fact that it took the music press and the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame so long to come around only goes to show how far they had their heads up their asses. "2nd tier"? I think not. Rush carved out their own niche and continue to to this day.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Rush may have been considered a Zep rip-off in their early years mainly based on Geddy Lee's Plant-like shrieking but it wasn't long before they came into their own, especially by the time of 2112. The fact that it took the music press and the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame so long to come around only goes to show how far they had their heads up their asses. "2nd tier"? I think not. Rush carved out their own niche and continue to to this day.

I don't mean "second tier" in terms of quality as that is totally subjective anyway. Rush didn't get played a whole lot on the radio in the 70's. Permanent Waves was released in 1980 which had their first real hits. In the 70's, in terms of airplay, Rush would have been considered "second tier." 2112 is a great album but in terms of airplay it is nowhere near Dark Side of The Moon.

Kudzu Guillotine

RevMatt wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Rush may have been considered a Zep rip-off in their early years mainly based on Geddy Lee's Plant-like shrieking but it wasn't long before they came into their own, especially by the time of 2112. The fact that it took the music press and the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame so long to come around only goes to show how far they had their heads up their asses. "2nd tier"? I think not. Rush carved out their own niche and continue to to this day.

I don't mean "second tier" in terms of quality as that is totally subjective anyway. Rush didn't get played a whole lot on the radio in the 70's. Permanent Waves was released in 1980 which had their first real hits. In the 70's, in terms of airplay, Rush would have been considered "second tier." 2112 is a great album but in terms of airplay it is nowhere near Dark Side of The Moon.

Tinnitus defines it thusly, "the meaning of '2nd tier' was to differentiate them from the huge rock stars of that era (ie, Stones, Springsteen, Who, Zep, Floyd, etc) that were also on the radio all the time." In that sense it's true as they'd yet to reach that level of popularity in the 70's. As for the amount of airplay they received, I guess that depends upon where you lived. In my area, they got a good amount of airplay pre-Permanent Waves via tracks such as "Working Man", "Fly By Night", "Closer To the Heart", "The Trees", etc.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I lived in the NYC area and the commercial FM stations had the most conservative playlists when compared with other cities. "Closer To The Heart" got some airplay but in my high school Rush had a cult following. All that changed with "Spirit of The Radio", so much that many of the original Rush fans in my school "denounced" them (along with the post-Jon Anderson Yes) for pandering to "new wave" fans. I think they secretly liked "Spirit of The Radio" as it is a great song by any standard.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:maybe it was just me and you...

I do question the top three being on any sort of shit list.

Agree with all those who feel the Dan is definitely first tier

The best band of the 1970's you say? The Sex Pistols. Followed by The Clash. Followed by Talking Heads, The Ramones and a host of others.

WTF? Steely Dan a second tier band?

Steely Dan is pretty much in the first tier of any list I'm making of bands from the 70s.

What we have here is a failure to communicate, presumably cross generational. Excuuuuuse us for not understanding that "second tier" and "dinosaur" were not meant as derogatory terms.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Bad Company are my favorite of the bands listed; if 2nd tier is defined as radio play, I've always heard you couldn't escape the Eagles in the 70's so they would have to be a 1st tier band.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

that's actually a good point re: the Eagles and airplay.

i put them on the list just to underscore how much i despise Bob Seger.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Smitty wrote:Bad Company are my favorite of the bands listed; if 2nd tier is defined as radio play, I've always heard you couldn't escape the Eagles in the 70's so they would have to be a 1st tier band.

Eagles were huge. Bob Seger was as well. Every album from Live Bullet on had four or five songs that became AOR/Classic Rock standards. From 1975 to 1980 Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band were as strong as anybody in the hits/total songs per album ratio.

cortez the killer

tinnitus photography wrote:that's actually a good point re: the Eagles and airplay.

i put them on the list just to underscore how much i despise Bob Seger.

If only we were up in Hampton Beach one week earlier, Tim.
- DPM

cortez the killer

tinnitus photography wrote:incidental Michael McDonald contact.

- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

RevMatt wrote:I lived in the NYC area and the commercial FM stations had the most conservative playlists when compared with other cities. "Closer To The Heart" got some airplay but in my high school Rush had a cult following. All that changed with "Spirit of The Radio", so much that many of the original Rush fans in my school "denounced" them (along with the post-Jon Anderson Yes) for pandering to "new wave" fans. I think they secretly liked "Spirit of The Radio" as it is a great song by any standard.

I'm pretty sure I've posted this elsewhere on here but this is a great read even if you don't agree with the album rankings as the author clearly knows his Rush inside and out. Yes, they adopted trendy sounds whether it be New Wave or U2 but they incorporated those styles in a truly unique way that showed artistic growth rather than rampant bandwagon-ism. I also find it amazing all these many years later that Rush is still very innovative and fresh sounding while the majority of their peers are the exact opposite. Yet another reason why they're a cut above.

Rush Albums From Worst To Best

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Styx and Foreigner Tour Buses Catch Fire

If Steely Dan has bus issues, we can blame tinnitus!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

cortez the killer wrote:

OK, I'm just going to admit it, I love Michael McDonald. Sometimes nothing but a smooth, mellow groove will do! :D
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

cortez the killer

Markalanbishop wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

OK, I'm just going to admit it, I love Michael McDonald. Sometimes nothing but a smooth, mellow groove will do! :D

No argument here. I'm a sucker for what is now classified as "Yacht Rock." Can't get enough.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

cortez the killer wrote:No argument here. I'm a sucker for what is now classified as "Yacht Rock." Can't get enough.

Lawks. I hadn't even heard the term "Yacht Rock" before it came up in this thread.

I googled.

Not my thing.

This TV show might have possibilities: I can fast forward through the musical segments, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht_Rock

Oh, and of course Kenny Loggins gets props for ARCHER (s5)..... and, you know, Danger Zone. daaaaanger zone!

Kudzu Guillotine

Steve French wrote:[Lawks. I hadn't even heard the term "Yacht Rock" before it came up in this thread.

It's been pretty big in the U.S. for a while, which led to the online TV series. Though I haven't heard of one recently, some bars around here have hosted Yacht Rock theme nights.