Songs of pure joy

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Beebs

Re: Songs of pure joy

Post by Beebs »

Iowan wrote:

I'll see your Glad Girls and raise you an I Am A Tree

Beebs is not a ragey man

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Iowan wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:In regards to Legend, I've also met plenty of people that own that record but their knowledge of reggae and Marley sometimes doesn't seem to extend far beyond that (if at all). It'd be like listening to Elvis or the Beatles and limiting your exposure to rock n' roll to just those artists. I've never understood it myself.

Reggae is a style of music I enjoy at times, but don't strongly relate to. I don't own much reggae beyond Bob Marley (a little Toots & The Maytals would be the extent), and that's enough to whet my whistle for it. If I ever felt myself more strongly drawn to it, I would dig a lot deeper.

I realize it works differently with everyone but in my case (as well as several of my friends at the time), that initial dose of Survival and Uprising just weren't enough at the time and led to be diving headlong into reggae, ska and rock steady. It started with Marley for me (Bob Marley and the Wailers Live!) but soon led to Toots, Third World, Tosh, Rita Marley, Jimmy Cliff, etc. I just couldn't get enough of it at the time and that's never really let up.

Iowan wrote:I can totally see where someone who was really into something else would have a similar take on rock, or any other genre. There's only so much time on this planet, and preferences vary.

Understood but some of the folks I'm referring to that haven't explored reggae or Bob Marley beyond Legend are Buffett fans. I realize that question sort of answers itself but you would think they'd want to quench their thirst for reggae (and Marley) beyond just one album.
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Thu May 22, 2014 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

"Hold Me Now" - The Polyphonic Spree
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Beebs wrote:
Iowan wrote:

I'll see your Glad Girls and raise you an I Am A Tree

Well played.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:but you would think they'd want to quench their thirst for beyond just one album.

If I had to hang my hat on a single defining characteristic that draws a line between the "Us" and "Them" of the world, it'd be curiosity.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Beebs wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:but you would think they'd want to quench their thirst for beyond just one album.

If I had to hang my hat on a single defining characteristic that draws a line between the "Us" and "Them" of the world, it'd be curiosity.

I'm constantly baffled and intrigued by Parrotheads, often at the same time. One Buffett board I frequent is the only message board I can recall where I was chastised for posting about music other than that made by the person (or persons) the board is devoted. Then, there was the time I started a "What's Everyone Listening To?" thread on a Donna the Buffalo board but it was removed because the admin thought I was spamming the board. First time for everything...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Beebs wrote:

Well said.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Beebs wrote:

Well said.

I thought it was our good looks.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

ain't no static on the gospel radio

Ham Rove

Post by Ham Rove »

"Linus & Lucy" - Vince Guaraldi
"Sandusky" - Uncle Tupelo
"Jessica" - Allman Brothers Band

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Pretty much the whole Jayhawks catalog, but Tomorrow The Green Grass stands out as a favorite collection of "happy music".
Not forever, just for now.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Mendocino - Sir Douglas Quintet
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

'Scratch wrote:Pretty much the whole Jayhawks catalog, but Tomorrow The Green Grass stands out as a favorite collection of "happy music".

Even the sad songs, yeah. That's a hard record for me sometimes. My wife introduced me to the band with it, and we courted (what a thing to say in the twenty-first century! But it's true, in a twenty-first century way) to it. There's a note to me from long ago inside her copy, which is at my house now.

I think the last time we went out to see music together was when we saw Mark Olson here in town, with Bill Mallonee and Muriah Rose opening. I didn't have that one with me, but I got what he had and got it signed, and raved to him about how my wife etc.

Only later did I realize I'd been telling him that about the record with "Miss Williams' Guitar" and that he and Victoria Williams were divorced.

I don't believe in karma, but maybe karma believes in me.

It's hard to sing with someone who won't sing with you. And that's all I have to say about that.
Last edited by John A Arkansawyer on Thu May 22, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

On a lighter yet still incredibly ironic note, you know what song brings me joy every time I hear it start up? This one, studio version or live:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Duke Silver wrote:

How could I have forgotten "Boobs a Lot"? :D

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:

I'm with you on this one and on the THS front:

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Iowan wrote:
Barely_Oakely wrote:In no particular order:

"Baba O'Reilly" - The Who
"Mona Lisa's and Mad Hatters" - Elton John
"Tangerine" - led Zeppelin
"Across the Great Divide" - The Band
"The Weight" - The Band
"Disco Break In" - The Beastie Boys
"Damnit" - Blink 182
"Wild Horses" - The Rolling Stones

"Tangled Up in Blue" - Dylan
"Don't Stop Me Now" - Queen

These seem like curious selections, given the thread topic.

I strongly agree with the rest of your selections.

I know Mona Lisa's isn't a particularly happy song, but the music is so powerful that every time I put it on I can't help but feel happy. Think Almost Famous, it's a beautiful shot in the flick when this plays - fucked up, but beautiful. I guess I can say the same for wild horses too. I can't listen to it without thinking of dancing to it at a wedding with a girl I was once deeply involved with. She might be gone, but the memory of pure joy is still strong as ever. (or at least that's what my psychiatrist says) As for damnit, it just reminds me of being 16 with the windows down driving too fast. Not so much the songs, as it is the feelings that the song's release.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

"Joy" - Lucinda Williams

/obvious
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Three from the distant past that'll do it every time:

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

"Steal My Sunshine" Len hahaha :D

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Speaking of Traffic, I don't think anybody's mentioned the obvious yet still appropriate "Glad." In addition to the obvious, I'll never forget the college band made up of friends of mine who worked this up in secret for me knowing that I was a Traffic nut at the time and then dedicating it to me when they surprised me w/ it at a gig. :D

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:Speaking of Traffic, I don't think anybody's mentioned the obvious yet still appropriate "Glad." In addition to the obvious, I'll never forget the college band made up of friends of mine who worked this up in secret for me knowing that I was a Traffic nut at the time and then dedicating it to me when they surprised me w/ it at a gig. :D

They didn't work it up for me, but the first time I got to go to a practice session of a band made up of friends of mine, I had my daughter with me. She was still a toddler. The first song they played--and they did pick it for me--was "Begin the Begin". That song has a dear place in my heart. When I started a newspaper back in 1993, I named it Fayetteville Begin and explained the name right there on the front page of the first issue. I'd also dedicated the first issue to the newborn son--named after Ray Davies, I might add--of the guitarist and his wife (a dear friend and a fine painter), so I guess I got what was coming to me.

For once, it didn't hurt. ;-)

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Zip City wrote:"Joy" - Lucinda Williams

/obvious

That'd be the opposite of "pure joy".
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Barely_Oakely wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Barely_Oakely wrote:In no particular order:

"Baba O'Reilly" - The Who
"Mona Lisa's and Mad Hatters" - Elton John
"Tangerine" - led Zeppelin
"Across the Great Divide" - The Band
"The Weight" - The Band
"Disco Break In" - The Beastie Boys
"Damnit" - Blink 182
"Wild Horses" - The Rolling Stones

"Tangled Up in Blue" - Dylan
"Don't Stop Me Now" - Queen

These seem like curious selections, given the thread topic.

I strongly agree with the rest of your selections.

I know Mona Lisa's isn't a particularly happy song, but the music is so powerful that every time I put it on I can't help but feel happy. Think Almost Famous, it's a beautiful shot in the flick when this plays - fucked up, but beautiful. I guess I can say the same for wild horses too. I can't listen to it without thinking of dancing to it at a wedding with a girl I was once deeply involved with. She might be gone, but the memory of pure joy is still strong as ever. (or at least that's what my psychiatrist says) As for damnit, it just reminds me of being 16 with the windows down driving too fast. Not so much the songs, as it is the feelings that the song's release.

I enjoyed that explanation. I can see where you're coming from on all of them, and have similarish experiences with all of those songs.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

New Morning by Bob Dylan
Here Comes the Sun by Beatles
Wouldn't It Be Nice by Beach Boys

beantownbubba