Greatest Albums in the History of Rock No One Has Heard Of

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Greatest Albums in the History of Rock No One Has Heard

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Flea wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Released 35 years ago, The Bounty Hunter still manages to make my top ten lists of favorites all these many years later. Another local artist, Mike Cross is known well beyond the borders of North Carolina but has never risen above cult status. After a somewhat private battle with Lyme disease, he re-emerged just a few years ago with Crossin' Carolina, his first new album since At Large In the World in 1999. It's presently a pipe dream of mine to stage a celebration of Mike's music involving Don Dixon (who played on and produced some of his records), Chatham County Line, Mandolin Orange, John Howie, Jr., the Super Grit Cowboy Band, etc. If any local artist deserves such a tribute, it's Mike Cross. He's not only adept at the fiddle, bottleneck guitar, mandolin, etc. but also plays a wide variety of music from folk, blues, country, bluegrass and rock but has also shown an affinity for some reggae-tinged sounds in his music. He is definitely one of a kind and not just for his instrumental prowess, he's also one hell of a songwriter.

And a super nice guy, very personable and willing to interact with his fans. I've got an autographed copy of this disc from a convention show he did several years back.

Glad to run into a fellow fan here. In a perfect world Mike would be as well known as another of our native sons, the honorable Mr. James Taylor. I think I've only spoken to Mike once. I was wearing a Reconstruction era R.E.M. tour shirt at the time (imagine that) and he regaled me with a brief tale of what it was like to work with Don Dixon on The Bounty Hunter.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Recorded in Muscle Shoals. Featuring Duane Allman and most of the ABB. Love this so much.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

linkous

Post by linkous »

Kudos to anybody who has ever heard of American Football, I certainly haven't. Their one and only album from 1999 has just been reissued, and has been highly rated by Pitchfork who review it today

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/193 ... -football/

Allmusic also give it a glowing review.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/american- ... 0000810077

I've just started listening to it on Spotify, and if the rest of it is as great as the first song I'm in for a treat.

Edit - maybe this record is not as rare as I think it is. A large amount of Amazon users have not only heard it but rate it very highly indeed

http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B ... ewpoints=1

ps - what the feck is "emo" anyway? A few of the Amazon reviews mention "emo", and any time I have came across the term it is associated with bands like Jimmy Eat World who I have absolutely zero interest in. I have now listened to the American Football album all the way through and even on one listen it is really good. It's a bit mellow so I guess you would need to be in that kind of mood to listen to it.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Markalanbishop wrote:Image

Recorded in Muscle Shoals. Featuring Duane Allman and most of the ABB. Love this so much.

I turned down big money for my copy of this.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Markalanbishop wrote:Image

Thanks for the tip mark. I have heard a few cuts from the Duane Allman anthology and liked them but it sounds like the whole record is good. Allmusic says that this started as an Duane Allman solo disc, but when he formed the Allman Brothers Band, Jenkins put his vocals over some of the tracks. Holy Shit!
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I don't know if this one fits here or not as I'd imagine people have heard of this record but it is great:

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

I've seen David Lindley mentioned pretty frequently here so I'm sure many 3DD'ers are familiar with this record but overall, I'd still consider it to be fairly obscure. When it came out in 1981 I barely listened to anything else that summer. It's another album that I consistently include as a top ten favorite, that's because there's never a tune I skip and it's absolutely infectious from beginning to end. I feel much the same way about the follow up, Win This Record! (1982). After that, things get sort of spotty with Very Greasy (1988), the last studio release from El Rayo-X. It's still a good record but not quite up there with the first two. I also really like the El Rayo-X Live! EP that's only available on vinyl as far as I know. I'm glad I purchased that one when I did as I believe it quickly went out of print. There's also a full length CD that's also called El Rayo-X Live! which comes from another show. If memory serves, it was culled from audience tapes. Mr. Dave also has plenty of stuff out there with Wally Ingram, Hani Naser, Ry Cooder, Jackson Browne and others that are mostly live recordings but to my ears, nothing tops El Rayo-X and Win This Record!

John A Arkansawyer

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Image

I've seen David Lindley mentioned pretty frequently here so I'm sure many 3DD'ers are familiar with this record but overall, I'd still consider it to be fairly obscure. When it came out in 1981 I barely listened to anything else that summer. It's another album that I consistently include as a top ten favorite, that's because there's never a tune I skip and it's absolutely infectious from beginning to end. I feel much the same way about the follow up, Win This Record! (1982). After that, things get sort of spotty with Very Greasy (1988), the last studio release from El Rayo-X. It's still a good record but not quite up there with the first two. I also really like the El Rayo-X Live! EP that's only available on vinyl as far as I know. I'm glad I purchased that one when I did as I believe it quickly went out of print. There's also a full length CD that's also called El Rayo-X Live! which comes from another show. If memory serves, it was culled from audience tapes. Mr. Dave also has plenty of stuff out there with Wally Ingram, Hani Naser, Ry Cooder, Jackson Browne and others that are mostly live recordings but to my ears, nothing tops El Rayo-X and Win This Record!

Which brings me to the question "If you haven't even finished listening to a record for the first time, is it unreasonable to put it into this thread?"

The answer, of course, is, "It's totally fucking unreasonable, but when has that ever stopped that Arkansawyer bastard?" And so:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Lindley is all over the new Jonny Two Bags album. Check it out!
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

vacant

Post by vacant »

Alvin Youngblood Hart: Motivational Speaker

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Oh, man, I loved this album so much. Got to see him shortly after I transferred to Berkeley in....early '84, I guess at yet another venue that is now something like a Chinese restaurant (actually it's whatever is next door to Long Life Veggie House). The Jackson Browne connection was enough to get me started.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Kudzu Guillotine

one belt loop wrote:

Oh, man, I loved this album so much. Got to see him shortly after I transferred to Berkeley in....early '84, I guess at yet another venue that is now something like a Chinese restaurant (actually it's whatever is next door to Long Life Veggie House). The Jackson Browne connection was enough to get me started.

Jackson Browne is how I first heard of him too though it was actually a friend that had the album that turned me onto it. It quickly caught on with pretty much every member of my family. I won tickets to see him and El Rayo-X way back when (probably circa '85) at the Rialto Theatre in Raleigh but I didn't go because I didn't like to travel alone back then (especially up to the big city) and couldn't find anyone to go with me. I was reminded of that show when I read a review of this album on Amazon yesterday from someone who was there. I'm still kickin' myself over missing that concert as he just doesn't play around here very often. Over the years, I think I've seen him in concert a grand total of three times and two of those were when he (and sometimes Wally Ingram) were backing other folks. One of those occasions was a concert featuring Shawn Colvin, Bruce Hornsby, Bonnie Raitt and Jackson Browne where Mr. Dave and Wally opened the show but also served as part of the backing band for all the artists. The other (and last) time I saw him was as a member of the backing band for the Blind Boys of Alabama at the Austin City Limits Music Festival in 2002.

Mike127

Post by Mike127 »

Guitarist from The Sea & Cake/Coctails third (natch) solo album from 2002. The arrangements on the album are so strong and there's some subtly brilliant guitar interplay. It's a mix of breezy rock & power pop with some light orchestral flourishes. There's even a slight DBT connection as Kelly Hogan provides background vocals.

Byrds-inflected power pop, solid songwriting, gorgeous harmonies - all at a time when these things couldn't be further out of fashion

Dean

Post by Dean »

Chiavari by Mary on the Dash. A Chapel Hill band that often gets overlooked in mentions of that town's rich musical heritage.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mike127 wrote:Image

Guitarist from The Sea & Cake/Coctails third (natch) solo album from 2002. The arrangements on the album are so strong and there's some subtly brilliant guitar interplay. It's a mix of breezy rock & power pop with some light orchestral flourishes. There's even a slight DBT connection as Kelly Hogan provides background vocals.

Byrds-inflected power pop, solid songwriting, gorgeous harmonies - all at a time when these things couldn't be further out of fashion

Will definitely check out this Prewitt guy.

Nice call on Teenage Symphonies. One of the great album titles as well. Have you heard their album Soft Sounds? I only became aware of it recently and haven't heard it but have heard good things about it. In the Presence of Greatness is maybe a hair below Symphonies but is good enough that it's pretty hard to distinguish.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

So I know most of y'all have heard this but I'm guessing not too many do and it's a flat out classic:

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

RMD

Post by RMD »

The first to pop in my head;

Ian Moore- ...And All The Colors

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Cotton Mather-Cotton Is King

Mike127

Post by Mike127 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Nice call on Teenage Symphonies. One of the great album titles as well. Have you heard their album Soft Sounds? I only became aware of it recently and haven't heard it but have heard good things about it. In the Presence of Greatness is maybe a hair below Symphonies but is good enough that it's pretty hard to distinguish.

I've heard most of the post-Symphonies albums, but it's been so long that I'm not sure which is which. I may have to do some reinvestigating today!

John A Arkansawyer

We all know this one by now, but I sure didn't the one time I saw one for sale. I know the guy who got it, though.

Kudzu Guillotine

John A Arkansawyer wrote:We all know this one by now, but I sure didn't the one time I saw one for sale. I know the guy who got it, though.

I found this in the attic of a radio station I was working for in the mid-80's and grabbed it based solely on the fact that Michael Utley (keyboardist for the Coral Reefer Band) plays on it. I don't think I had any idea of who James Dickinson was at the time.

John A Arkansawyer

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:We all know this one by now, but I sure didn't the one time I saw one for sale. I know the guy who got it, though.

I found this in the attic of a radio station I was working for in the mid-80's and grabbed it based solely on the fact that Michael Utley (keyboardist for the Coral Reefer Band) plays on it. I don't think I had any idea of who James Dickinson was at the time.

Well, that's excusable. What's not excusable is that I had the chance to book him once for a big outdoors show and was too chicken to do it. I was scared just talking on the phone with him. And his kids had this DDT band I was too chicken to commit to booking, either.

Some days you just want to do over. I had two of those when I was booking those shows. The other one cost me several thousand dollars and a lot of cred. I regret this one a whole lot more.

Kudzu Guillotine

Leon's definitely not an unknown, especially around these parts and especially since Elton John helped to put him back on the map a few years ago but you seldom (if ever) see this album listed as one of his milestone recordings. Perhaps in the greater scheme of things it isn't but in my musical world it is and has always played a very prominent role. Again, it's a record that consistently makes my top ten list of favorites. There's also a previous Asylum Choir album with Marc Benno (Look Inside the Asylum Choir) but strangely enough, I've never heard it. Evidently, the reissue of Asylum Choir II includes 5 bonus tracks from that first record.

More Leon, this time under the guise of "Hank Wilson" where's he backed by a virtual who's who of session musicians (including the late J.J. Cale) tearing through everything from "Uncle Pen" to "Goodnight, Irene". Another album I rarely see mentioned, even in alt.country circles, Hank Wilson's Back, Vol. 1 made a huge impact on me as a kid and undoubtably created the foundation upon which my appreciation of country and bluegrass music would be built. I first heard this when I was deep into Zeppelin, Kiss, Skynyrd, etc. and was about as far out of left field as could be imagined for my musical tastes at the time. The reissue includes two bonus tracks from these sessions, "Hey, Good Lookin'" and "In the Jailhouse Now". Leon has revisited the Hank Wilson persona on a number of occasions but to my ears, the magic that permeates this record has never been recaptured on any of those records.

John A Arkansawyer

Speaking of Shelter Records, the same guy who wanted my Johnny Jenkins also wanted this one. I remember it being pretty wonderful but I haven't heard it in years:

Flea

Post by Flea »

Not as obscure as many of those listed, but this band and album doesn't get the love it deserves.

Now it's dark.

Kudzu Guillotine

This seems fitting for this thread. I've heard a few of these like The Masked Marauders and the Steve Miller Band but not many beyond those.

20 Albums Rolling Stone Loved in the Sixties That You've Never Heard

A current issue of Rolling Stone contains roughly a dozen album reviews. Multiply that by more than 1,200 issues and it's inevitable that a few records we enjoyed maybe slipped out of our listening rotation. We dug into our archives to find 20 once-loved records from our first three years – 1967, 1968 and 1969. Even though they've been largely unheralded these past four decades, they still sound remarkably fresh. From little-heard releases by artists you're familiar with (Steve Miller Band, Jerry Lee Lewis) to obscure rockers (the Insect Trust, Autosalvage) and even one group that never existed – here are just a few acclaimed, yet forgotten LPs.
By Daniel Kreps

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:This seems fitting for this thread. I've heard a few of these like The Masked Marauders and the Steve Miller Band but not many beyond those.

20 Albums Rolling Stone Loved in the Sixties That You've Never Heard

A current issue of Rolling Stone contains roughly a dozen album reviews. Multiply that by more than 1,200 issues and it's inevitable that a few records we enjoyed maybe slipped out of our listening rotation. We dug into our archives to find 20 once-loved records from our first three years – 1967, 1968 and 1969. Even though they've been largely unheralded these past four decades, they still sound remarkably fresh. From little-heard releases by artists you're familiar with (Steve Miller Band, Jerry Lee Lewis) to obscure rockers (the Insect Trust, Autosalvage) and even one group that never existed – here are just a few acclaimed, yet forgotten LPs.
By Daniel Kreps

They got my favorite Jerry Lee record on there.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
I had the great pleasure of seeing Shoes play many times, once in steakhouse where a man stood up from his table yelled "play some Zeppelin assholes" and then passed out face first in his baked potato.

that is AWESOME!

I have nothing to add in this thread except local bands I loved that never "made it" outside of NZ and Aus.

http://www.toylove.co.nz/

Toy Love

The Gordons (now pretty much morphed into Bailterspace)

http://www.flyingnun.co.nz/artist/39/show_group

and Shihad (you might have heard of them as Pacifier): their earlier shit was better, yo!

http://www.shihad.com/
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

one belt loop wrote:

The veggies are long life? like UHT milk?
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.