AOTW 4.1.14 John Prine: Go To the Country, Build You A Home

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: AOTW 4.1.14 John Prine: Go To the Country, Build You A H

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Web exclusive from The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.

Kudzu Guillotine

Also from last night on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert.

Prine was also recently on WTF with Marc Maron. You can listen via the link below or here.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Hey Kudzu and WWCD: let us know how the new Prine duets record is. I was so close to picking it up today (just got American Band and Hendrix- Machine Gun), and I decided I'd wait to hear about it. Some of the names turned me off. Love Krauss and Tedeschi, etc. but some of the other names like Lambert and Mattea turned me off. Hey, if it is good it is good.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Also from last night on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert.

Prine was also recently on WTF with Marc Maron. You can listen via the link below or here.

I'm gonna listen to the Maron interview later. I hope he doesn't yap for 30 minutes of the interview.

Kudzu Guillotine

jr29 wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Also from last night on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert.

I'm gonna listen to the Maron interview later. I hope he doesn't yap for 30 minutes of the interview.
I haven't listened yet but I read somewhere that the first 20 minutes or so is nothing but Maron. I have never listened to his program but did enjoy hearing him as a guest on Fresh Air a few months back.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
jr29 wrote:

I haven't listened yet but I read somewhere that the first 20 minutes or so is nothing but Maron. I have never listened to his program but did enjoy hearing him as a guest on Fresh Air a few months back.
I believe he starts all of the episodes solo then does a little intro then starts the interview. He seems to aways get sidetracked and can never stop interrupting his guests though.He only bugged me once on this one....when John Prine is telling the story about working with Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn.....just shut up.
Other than that it was great. I love listening to Prine talk about his dad and their Kentucky roots.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

211poundsofpork wrote:Hey Kudzu and WWCD: let us know how the new Prine duets record is. I was so close to picking it up today (just got American Band and Hendrix- Machine Gun), and I decided I'd wait to hear about it. Some of the names turned me off. Love Krauss and Tedeschi, etc. but some of the other names like Lambert and Mattea turned me off. Hey, if it is good it is good.
I've only had the chance for one listen so far and I really like it. As I was telling Worldwide Bill the other day, I've been buying so much music in recent months that it's pert near impossible to give albums the multiple plays they deserve. I know, first world problems :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Happy 70th John Prine! This is currently seeding on dimeadozen

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=573523

ohn Prine
My Father's Place
Village of Old Roslyn, NY
1978-07-13
EN pre-FM master cassette remaster

CD1
01 intro by Larry Kleinman
02 Spanish Pipedream
03 Often Is a Word I Seldom Use
04 Fish and Whistle
05 Crooked Piece of Time
06 Blue Umbrella
07 Illegal Smile
08 Sabu Visits the Twin Cities Alone
09 The Bottomless Lake
10 Sam Stone
11 That's the Way That the World Goes 'Round
12 Quiet Man
13 There She Goes

CD2
01 Try to Find Another Man
02 If You Don't Want My Love
03 band intros/Pretty Good
04 Bruised Orange
05 Hello In There
06 Grandpa Was a Carpenter
07 Paradise
08 Please Don't Bury Me
09 Sleepy Eyed Boy
10 Treat Me Nice
11 Sweet Revenge
12 Lawdy Miss Clawdy
13 Saddle In the Rain

Total time: 1:51:11

John Prine - guitar & vocals
Howard Levy - keyboards, harmonica, mandolin, pennywhistle, vocals
John Burns - guitars, vocals
Tom Piekarski - bass, vocals
Angelo Varias - drums

master cassette of the WLIR-FM pre-FM feed, remastered 10/2016 by EN

Conversion: CD > EAC(secure) > WAV > SHN
*wav files checked with shntool (no fix needed) and encoded with mkwACT

any song help send to usalai@nycap.rr.com
thanks to peter hedeman for the feed.

original lineage: pre-FM sbd > cassette master > cdr

original notes:

Pre-FM feed from WLIR-FM recording truck
All stage mics wired to air mix soundboard in recording truck to
Maxell XLII cassette (no dolby) on a (then brand spankin' new)
Nakamichi 550 cassette machine.

To computer (23 years later)
via:
cr7a Nakamichi cassette (with azmuth adjust) to SBM1 Sony Super
Bit Mapper A>D converter to digi in on Linx-one studio card (spdif).
Recorded in Soundforge and mastered with CD architect to CD to SHN.

Note...My cassettes have held up over the years better than the
master reels of these shows.
The master 1/4" reels (recorded on Ampex 456 grand master tape)
would need to be literally "baked" in order to squeeze out one
final play as the oxide flakes off the tape!

notes on the remaster by EN

JP is turning a milestone 70 on the 10th day of this 10th month, so in honor of that septoccasion I ran this through the machines a bit and tried to free the high end from the compressed, claustrophobic sound it previously featured. Because this appears to be a stage-mic situation, with the vocal mics fed through the board for that singing-up-front type radio concert vibe, the band comes through a little on the muddy side on the ensemble tunes. I smashed it up between a taste of the Graphic EQ and Graphics Dynamics tools in Sound Forge 9, and smoothed out the volume track to track, as it was somewhat this side of all over the place. Additionally, I stripped in, and matched the best I could, the very beginning of Paradise, which was missing from this tape.... I used the Bottom Line, NYC FM broadcast of 2 days before (July 11th) of which I saw a boot CD the other day in Amoeba Berkeley. Now it seems a tad more like the typical, balanced pre-FM fare we all know and love so well. I titled and tagged the files like I always do, made new fingerprints, and I separated the radio intro by (WLIR legend of my youth) Larry Kleinman, so you can get right to the music if you want.

This is captured at the height of John's mythical BRUISED ORANGE tour, and I think I got it into a sonic territory less distinguishable from an official live record and more towards a quality worthy of the exquisite and intimate performance, taped as it was at one of the all-time legendary, long-gone clubs of the fast-passing Golden Age. At least it's an improvement and likely sounds a Maywood acre or two better than the condition I found it in. Anyway, enjoy and a million more fish and whistles to songwriting deity of distinction John Prine, before he is at last seen off to Heaven.

whatwouldcooleydo?

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/sho ... p?t=128384

John Prine w/Studs Terkel
WFMT Studios
Chicago, IL US
Broadcast date: 2016-10-07
Performance date: 1970-01-07 or 08

Lineage: HD over fm>Sangean HDT-1>Rotel-05 SE>SoundBlaster (Live! 24 bit External)>wav(CD Wave Editor)>flac

There are two shows listed on dbetree for 1970 in January. This is probably the whole show. As pointed out there, this is from before the first album came out.

Known Flaw: Intermittent dodgy reception

Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven 3:11
Conversation 7:08
Paradise 3:07
Conversation 2:47
Hello in There 4:52
Conversation 3:14
The Frying Pan 1:17
Conversation 2:40 & 1:08
Sam Stone 4:06
Conversation 8:01
Donald and Lydia 3:43
Conversation 2:24
Spanish Pipedream 2:21
Conversation 1:42
Flashback Blues 1:50

Total Time: 53:58

211poundsofpork

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
211poundsofpork wrote:Hey Kudzu and WWCD: let us know how the new Prine duets record is. I was so close to picking it up today (just got American Band and Hendrix- Machine Gun), and I decided I'd wait to hear about it. Some of the names turned me off. Love Krauss and Tedeschi, etc. but some of the other names like Lambert and Mattea turned me off. Hey, if it is good it is good.
I've only had the chance for one listen so far and I really like it. As I was telling Worldwide Bill the other day, I've been buying so much music in recent months that it's pert near impossible to give albums the multiple plays they deserve. I know, first world problems :lol:
..I hear ya WHCD- loud and clear. Preoccupied with other things going on this busy early autumn, I forgot to check my mail on Saturday. On Sunday, I realized that I had the new Dexateens in my mailbox. All I know is that American Band trumps everything these days when it comes to multiple listens. ;)

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I love Kathy Mattea and I think you can do a lot worse than Miranda Lambert, although she did reject my drunken flirting back when I was like 17. First and only time I ever lost a job and been kicked out of an area in one fell swoop.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Kudzu Guillotine

ramonz wrote:Apologies if already posted: http://bittersoutherner.com/the-big-old ... john-prine
Thanks, I haven't seen that. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying so but I love The Bitter Southerner.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

ramonz wrote:Apologies if already posted: http://bittersoutherner.com/the-big-old ... john-prine
Haha....I love Snider's part about Prine allegedly getting mad one time.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

"Prime Prine" was one of the most listened to records of my youth and was probably the single biggest influence on the type of music I've always gravitated towards. It bridged my love of music and literature. To me, he's in that rare class with Dylan, Kristofferson, Clark and Van Zandt on the Mt. Rushmore of songwriters; I think McMurtry, Hood, Cooley, Snider, Williams, maybe Shires or Isbell are the today's "equivalent".
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

;)
Last edited by Clams on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Kudzu Guillotine

Smitty wrote:"Prime Prine" was one of the most listened to records of my youth and was probably the single biggest influence on the type of music I've always gravitated towards. It bridged my love of music and literature. To me, he's in that rare class with Dylan, Kristofferson, Clark and Van Zandt on the Mt. Rushmore of songwriters; I think McMurtry, Hood, Cooley, Snider, Williams, maybe Shires or Isbell are the today's "equivalent".
Sweet Revenge on an old homemade 8-track was my proper introduction to Prine but my first purchase was Prime Prine. This was also around the same time that I was into Steve Goodman, Jerry Jeff Walker, Michael Murphey, Jimmy Buffett, David Allan Coe, Emmylou, Gram/Burritos, Waylon, Willie, etc. Guy Clark came later but I put him into the same category as one of my favorite songwriters, same for Billy Joe Shaver (though I didn't buy any of his records until the 90's). Steve Earle would be another. As for current favorites, that's one I'd have to think on for a spell...

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I listened to "Common Sense" a couple times this week and was reminded how cool "Saddle In The Rain" is. Such a neat chord progression and arrangement.
"He Was In Heaven Before He Died" also belongs in the upper tier of Prine songs, but seems to get overlooked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMG7ud_t7o8

Kudzu Guillotine

"Summer's End," the first single from The Tree of Forgiveness, which is due on April 13th.

Clams

Post by Clams »

jr29

Post by jr29 »

My girlfriend is on a weekend trip in the Ozark mountains in northern Arkansas. Yesterday afternoon she walked into a little cafe and came face to face with John Prine as he was walking out. He was alone so she asked him if he'd take a pic with her and he obliged. She said he was very pleasant. I lived in Nashville for a few years and he was one of the guys I hoped to bump into but it never happened.
Seeing him alone in a rural town in the mountains of northern Arkansas is a way cooler story anyway.

Clams

Post by Clams »

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

oh no, a friend sent me a post today about John having Corona Virus - it looks official and very serious, Hang in there buddy.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

ramonz wrote:oh no, a friend sent me a post today about John having Corona Virus - it looks official and very serious, Hang in there buddy.
ramonz wrote:oh no, a friend sent me a post today about John having Corona Virus - it looks official and very serious, Hang in there buddy.
Unless that friend was on the Guitartown email list, I’m gonna assume this is fake news.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Unfortunately, this is all too real.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

John’s wife Fiona just tweeted that she’s recovered and John is now stable. Some good news for your Monday afternoon.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

211poundsofpork

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:John’s wife Fiona just tweeted that she’s recovered and John is now stable. Some good news for your Monday afternoon.
Indeed, it is.