Post Punk

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Post Punk

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:At least Top 40 has a clear quantitative meaning.

Edit - Classic Rock has a pretty specific population.

True, but interestingly (at least to me) the term has come to take on descriptive meaning as well - something in the poppy, sappy, melodic and highly produced vein. You know, like vague.

Edit: Your edit caught me by surprise; not sure how that happened mechanically. Anyway I'm referring to "top 40".
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I'm not sure whatever became of it but I remember hearing about a new radio format called Classic Alternative around ten years ago or so (maybe longer). It probably makes more sense now than it did then, if it ever made any sense at all.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I'm not sure whatever became of it but I remember hearing about a new radio format called Classic Alternative around ten years ago or so (maybe longer). It probably makes more sense now than it did then, if it ever made any sense at all.

i believe that this is the "First Wave" channel on SiriusXM

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

R.I.P. Mark E. Smith. Somebody check on linkous.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

x-post from bookface

it's not too surprising, esp after seeing the footage of Mark on stage a few months ago, but that doesn't make his passing hurt any less. by some accounts he was an irascible curmudgeon who could get really nasty at times, but he left behind an incredible legacy of music. i only got to see them once, at Axis in '93 or so... and we had to leave early so that Hilary and I could cross the river and see the Peter Jefferies/Alastair Galbraith show at the Middle East.

i was a relative latecomer to the band, and after buying a copy of The Wonderful And Frightening World Of... The Fall in college and not knowing what to make of it, i sold it back to the store a week or so later. yeah, college students are fucking stupid at times.

i forget what prodded me into giving them another shot, but after i moved to Boston, i got a copy of This Nation's Saving Grace and it all began to make sense. then the digging started. actually, now that i think of it, it might have been the Sonic Youth Peel Sessions that was released as 4 Tunna Brix that sparked my second go.

anyway, it's a big loss and i feel bad for my friends and others who had tickets to see one of the five shows they booked at Baby's Alright or Cropped Out before that tour was canceled. Do yourself a favor and get a copy of the box set collecting all of their Peel sessions. John loved the band dearly and he was no dummy. some pure magic happened. thanks Mark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:R.I.P. Mark E. Smith. Somebody check on linkous.
x2 re both parts
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Bon Scott's AC/DC

Post by Bon Scott's AC/DC »

tinnitus photography wrote:x-post from bookface

it's not too surprising, esp after seeing the footage of Mark on stage a few months ago, but that doesn't make his passing hurt any less. by some accounts he was an irascible curmudgeon who could get really nasty at times, but he left behind an incredible legacy of music. i only got to see them once, at Axis in '93 or so... and we had to leave early so that Hilary and I could cross the river and see the Peter Jefferies/Alastair Galbraith show at the Middle East.

i was a relative latecomer to the band, and after buying a copy of The Wonderful And Frightening World Of... The Fall in college and not knowing what to make of it, i sold it back to the store a week or so later. yeah, college students are fucking stupid at times.

i forget what prodded me into giving them another shot, but after i moved to Boston, i got a copy of This Nation's Saving Grace and it all began to make sense. then the digging started. actually, now that i think of it, it might have been the Sonic Youth Peel Sessions that was released as 4 Tunna Brix that sparked my second go.

anyway, it's a big loss and i feel bad for my friends and others who had tickets to see one of the five shows they booked at Baby's Alright or Cropped Out before that tour was canceled. Do yourself a favor and get a copy of the box set collecting all of their Peel sessions. John loved the band dearly and he was no dummy. some pure magic happened. thanks Mark.

Nice piece, another excellent track by The Fall. Mark E. Smith e always did it his way. The very antithesis of the X-Factor, Pop Idol, American Idol approach of so much music nowadays.

cortez the killer

tinnitus photography wrote:someone should put together a Spotify playlist.
Post-Punk Primer: The Sacred Cows
1. Public Image/Public Image Ltd.
2. I Am the Fly/Wire
3. Totally Wired/The Fall
4. Disorder/Joy Division
5. A Forest/The Cure
6. Hong Kong Garden/Siouxsie and the Banshees
7. Treason/The Teardrop Explodes
8. Up the Down Escalator/The Chameleons
9. Villiers Terrace/Echo & the Bunnymen
10. Falling and Laughing/Orange Juice
11. It's Kinda Funny/Josef K
12. I Can't Escape Myself/The Sound
13. Damaged Goods/Gang of Four
14. Mind Your Own Business/Delta 5
15. We're So Cool/Au Pairs
16. He's Frank/The Monochrome Set
17. The Helicopter Spies/Swell Maps
18. Requiem/Killing Joke
19. Dark Entries/Bauhaus
20. Modern Dance/Pere Ubu
21. Uncontrollable Urge/Devo
22. She Is Beyond Good and Evil/The Pop Group
23. Typical Girls/The Slits
24. Dance This Mess Around/The B-52's
25. DC-10/Kleenex
26. Stop It/Pylon
27. Shot By Both Sides/Magazine
28. Nick the Stripper/The Birthday Party
29. Point That Thing Somewhere Else/The Clean
30. A New Kind of Water/This Heat
31. Skank Bloc Bologna/Scritti Politti
32. Ambition/Subway Sect
33. Fairtytale in the Supermarket/The Raincoats
34. That's When I Reach For My Revolver/Mission of Burma
35. When It's Over/Wipers
36. Heaven/Talking Heads
37. The Boy with the Perpetual Nervousness/The Feelies
38. Brand - New - Life/Young Marble Giants
39. A Place in the Sun/Marine Girls
40. Age of Consent/New Order
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM