The Black Keys - "Turn Blue"

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

The Black Keys - "Turn Blue"

Post by Zip City »

New album forthcoming from our boys from Akron. Release date is May 13. First studio album since end of 2011.

First single:

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Duke Silver

Re: The Black Keys - "Turn Blue"

Post by Duke Silver »

Has it really been that long since El Camino? Wow.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Inspired by the ACL episode I watched last night...

These guys are really a mess live. It's like they're two separate bands -- Dan and Patrick up front basically pretending they're still a sloppy, garage-rock duo; bass and keys in the shadows, joylessly reproducing the studio track. Maybe it sounds better in person (I haven't seen them since Rubber Factory), but on TV it sounded like absolute shit.

J Roddy was on after them and killed, so I know it's not my TV. :D
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Duke Silver wrote:Inspired by the ACL episode I watched last night...

These guys are really a mess live. It's like they're two separate bands -- Dan and Patrick up front basically pretending they're still a sloppy, garage-rock duo; bass and keys in the shadows, joylessly reproducing the studio track. Maybe it sounds better in person (I haven't seen them since Rubber Factory), but on TV it sounded like absolute shit.

J Roddy was on after them and killed, so I know it's not my TV. :D

I'm glad I saw them live when I did (Brothers tour). Still a midsized venue and they seemed genuine. They've been to town twice more as an arena act and I've had zero interest.

It's basically just "The Dan Auerbach Band" now, as Patrick has been reduced to a beat-keeper on the latest album/tour

Dean

Post by Dean »

I saw them in a smallish(Norfolk-ODU) arena and was underwhelmed. Their stuff, while having great riffs, starts all sounding the same when listening to an hour and a half of it straight through. I do think the songwriting has taken a little step forward on this album.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

I have fond memories of seeing them in an absolute shithole of a local venue with a crowd of about 600 or so. Great night. They were touring "Attack and Release" I think and I was really fond of the earlier stuff like thickfreakness and Rubber Factory. I rushed out and bought El Camino and I have listened to it a few times. I love that video of the guy dancing.

But am I excited? Not really. Would I travel to see them? No. Would I go see them if they come to my town? maaaaybe. Except the venue they would play I absolutely hate.

So yeah. A spent force I think.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Watching the ACL performance now. Your review was spot on. The entire band couldn't look more bored.

Reminds me of a Roger Waters quote: (I'm paraphrasing here) "You form a band and rehearse and tour in order to get rich and famous. Then one day you ARE rich and famous, so then what?"