Rush ~ Beyond The Lighted Stage

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

DiamondDave

Rush ~ Beyond The Lighted Stage

Post by DiamondDave »

Watched this last night on Netflix.....just a great, well done documentary. Really captures the story of the band really well. Fun footage of contemporaries influenced by the band.

"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Rush ~ Beyond The Lighted Stage

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I loved it and thought it was one of the better music documentaries I've ever seen. So much so, that I think even those that aren't fans of Rush would probably enjoy it. There were lots of things I Ioved about it but a couple would be the story behind 2112 and how Mercury Records tried to encourage them to record an album that was more radio friendly. Instead, they stuck to their guns and turned in one of the most successful and artistically rewarding records of their career.

I also love this clip, especially the last point he makes. Hell, even Rolling Stone (who had always abhored them) did a 17 page spread on Rush a few years ago. I may get ribbed for liking them, or Buffett, James Taylor, Natalie Merchant, U2, R.E.M., etc. but I stick to my guns because I basically don't give a fuck what other people think. If we starting altering our musical tastes simply to be accepted by others (even those artists are perceived to suck), then we're not being true to ourselves. The older I get, the less I give a shit, which Jon Dee Graham touched on in that recent interview The Bitter Southerner did with him where he said that once you hit 50 "Your give-a-shitter just stops working.” I'd say that's a pretty admirable trait.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Love this band, and loved this doco. Haters gonna hate, so fuck 'em.
Now it's dark.

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

" I may get ribbed for liking them, or Buffett, James Taylor, Natalie Merchant, U2, R.E.M., etc. but I stick to my guns because I basically don't give a fuck what other people think. If we starting altering our musical tastes simply to be accepted by others (even those artists are perceived to suck), then we're not being true to ourselves. The older I get, the less I give a shit, which Jon Dee Graham touched on in that recent interview The Bitter Southerner did with him where he said that once you hit 50 "Your give-a-shitter just stops working.” I'd say that's a pretty admirable trait."

Damn well said. Couldn't agree more.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

I love Rush. Besides DBT and the Dead, probably my favorite band. In fact, I have listened to a lot more Rush in the 21st century than the Dead, simply because Rush is still active. I don't remember Weir and Lesh putting out much new since 2000.

2007's Snakes and Arrows is my favorite album by them, even surpassing the Moving Pictures era. Not bad for a bunch of old guys. Neal Peart came through a lot to come back after his wife and daughter died within 18 months. Ghost Rider is a good book about loss and redemption, even if you do not like their music. Too many notes, too serious for some people I guess. Check out some of their concert videos, their sense of humor comes out better there.

Kudzu Guillotine

blackwll wrote:I love Rush. Besides DBT and the Dead, probably my favorite band. In fact, I have listened to a lot more Rush in the 21st century than the Dead, simply because Rush is still active. I don't remember Weir and Lesh putting out much new since 2000.

2007's Snakes and Arrows is my favorite album by them, even surpassing the Moving Pictures era. Not bad for a bunch of old guys. Neal Peart came through a lot to come back after his wife and daughter died within 18 months. Ghost Rider is a good book about loss and redemption, even if you do not like their music. Too many notes, too serious for some people I guess. Check out some of their concert videos, their sense of humor comes out better there.

One of the biggest stumbling blocks with Rush seems to be Geddy Lee's vocals (I've heard the same in regards to Zeppelin with Plant) but they've never really bothered me. My fandom began with All the World's A Stage back in '77. After my sister passed away, my classmates all pitched in and got me a couple of records. The other one was Songs From the Wood by Jethro Tull. For whatever reason, I didn't see them in concert until the Roll the Bones tour in the early 90's. The only other time I've ever seen them in concert was in '93 on the Counterparts tour. Oh, and for whatever it's worth, I'm not necessarily a big fan of Prog Rock but I absolutely love Rush. I hate I missed their last tour in support of Clockwork Angels so I may have to catch them when they go out next year. From what I understand, they're going to take the opportunity to break out some very rare stuff. There has also been mention of them winding down in the years to come so it's probably best to see them while they're still riding this second wind post-Neil's tragedies.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

I just posted about this on the wrong thread (music doc thread)--didn't see this!

I thought it was great--i've always appreciated them although there are only a handful of songs I really enjoy. I knew they had a message and that Neil's lyrics were thoughtful, but music wise I only knew about Permanent Waves and Spirit of the Radio, etc---this was very enlightening. Because I love Fountainhead, too, I used to read Neil Peart's travel blog (not sure if his website is still up) but loved reading about his journeys on his motorcycle.

I also feel like Canadians are the most down to earth people, they even shame midwesterners. There's something so pure about them.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

blackwll wrote:2007's Snakes and Arrows is my favorite album by them, even surpassing the Moving Pictures era.

Wow. That's a huge statement.

I must admit I'm only nominally aware of most of Rush's later albums. Guess I need to get caught up.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Kudzu Guillotine

Speaking of Neil's writing, this was posted on his website just the other day:

Not All Days Are Sundays

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Will have to check this out. Rush was a major staple of my youth. First heard Take A Friend on WAMU's Rock & Roll Jukebox in '74 & within a week Working Man was my favorite song & Rush was a big hit with me & the boys. The first 5 albums were monumental & after that they were still damn good. I didn't care so much for Tom Sawyer & a few of the other radio hits, but the deeper cuts were still amazing. Snakes & Arrows & Clockwork Angels are both very strong albums (especially considering how late in their career it was when they came out), but neither of them is as good as the first 5 albums to me. I have 2112 in my Top 20 ever.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Rush were the first proper band I ever saw - I made my dad take me and he was deaf for two days after the show. It was the moving pictures tour and it was great. I also saw the Signals tour but gave up when they went all synth pop. Not really familiar with their recent output but one of my friends raves about them and goes to see them everytime they tour- he nearly persuaded me to go to the last tour but I resisted.

My favourite albums are Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Sorry, didn’t think I should start a new thread for this

https://wapo.st/464Xy0c
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing