the Power Pop thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

brettac1

Re: the Power Pop thread

Post by brettac1 »

dime in the gutter wrote:Image

Hell yeah
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It seems like a lot of folks aren't familar w/ the Poptopia collections, so here are the track listings. Pretty much everything essential is here (either song, artist or both) and much of what's left is in the superb liner notes (for example the 90's disc is a bit lesser than the other 2 in part because of the absence of material issue, the gin blossoms and teenage fanclub due to licensing issues, as the notes themselves explain).

Out of these 54 tracks, i'd say something like 50-52 are keepers, which is pretty damn amazing. On the obscure but worthy and as yet unmentioned scale, #1 has to be The Shoes. I don't know that they made a bad album, but best bets include black vinyl shoes, present tense, stolen wishes and Shoes Best. The track on the 70's disc is representative. Other represented artists not mentioned above that made at least one good album include Tommy Keene, Jellyfish and Bill Lloyd.

On top of everything else, due to the nature of the genre this is the best way to listen to this music (collected varied tracks as opposed to single artist albums, of which very few are consistently worthy).

70's:

1. Go All the Way Raspberries 3:22
2 Couldn't I Just Tell You Todd Rundgren 3:21
3 Abracadabra (Have You Seen Her?) Blue Ash 3:09
4 September Gurls Big Star 2:48
5 Just a Chance Badfinger 2:58
6 I'm on Fire Twilley, Dwight Band 3:17
7 Shake Some Action Flamin' Groovies 4:33
8 Baby, It's Cold Outside Pezband 2:51
9 Come on, Come On Cheap Trick 2:36
10 Where Have You Been All My Life Fotomaker 3:23
11 I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend Rubinoos 3:21
12 Starry Eyes Records 4:25
13 Girl of My Dreams Bram Tchaikovsky 4:09
14 Cruel to Be Kind Nick Lowe 3:29
15 Good Girls Don't Knack 3:10
16 Too Late Shoes 2:46
17 Yellow Pills 20/20 4:18
18 Rock & Roll Girl Beat

80's:

1 What I Like About You Romantics 2:58
2 Baby It's You Phil Seymour 3:02
3 Hold on to Something Great Buildings 3:48
4 Tell That Girl to Shut Up Holly & The Italians 3:02
5 A Million Miles Away Plimsouls 3:34
6 She Goes Out With Everybody SpongeTones 2:29
7 Whenever You're on My Mind Marshall Crenshaw 3:17
8 I Want You Back Hoodoo Gurus 3:12
9 Every Word Means No Let's Active 2:54
10 Crybaby Utopia 4:22
11 Going Down to Liverpool Bangles 3:41
12 Love Is for Lovers dB's 3:19
13 Whatever Happenend to Fun... Candy 3:43
14 Places That Are Gone Tommy Keene 3:54
15 Behind the Wall of Sleep Smithereens 3:23
16 Lisa Anne Bill Lloyd 3:13
17 She's So Young Pursuit Of Happiness 3:36
18 There She Goes La's

90's:

1 I've Been Waiting Matthew Sweet
2 That Is Why Jellyfish
3 Twisterella Ride
4 Cope Gigolo Aunts
5 Rollin' Down the Hill Rembrandts
6 Jessica Something Tearaways
7 Solar Sister Posies
8 Proto-Pretty Wondermints
9 Into Your Arms Lemonheads
10 Lady in the Front Row Redd Kross
11 Same Thing Grays
12 Reasons Rooks
13 Trampoline Greenberry Woods
14 I Can't Stop Smiling Velocity Girl
15 Hold Me Up Velvet Crush
16 The Party Rages On Zumpano
17 Every Minute P. Hux
18 You're All Forgiven Idle Wilds
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Shoes are great.

I had never heard of them until my record store guy brought them up a year or so ago when we were having a power pop discussion of our own in the store.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

zoid

Post by zoid »

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

Yeah, Shoes is great. At least Black Vinyl Shoes is, that's the only one I've heard...got it recommended from a guy on another message board in 2008 or so, I think.
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

bubba - You sure sold me on the Poptopias. You are so right about checking this stuff out via this format. Pop stars never seem to be able fill a whole album with good material. I'm gonna get this set. I've got a lot of it, but it's nice to have a good mix. Check out the DGC Rarities Vol. #1 for some similar tunes.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Slipkid42 wrote:bubba - You sure sold me on the Poptopias. You are so right about checking this stuff out via this format. Pop stars never seem to be able fill a whole album with good material. I'm gonna get this set. I've got a lot of it, but it's nice to have a good mix. Check out the DGC Rarities Vol. #1 for some similar tunes.

Roger that.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

a couple i remember

not the one with yellow pills but the one after. has the semi hit Nuclear Boy and the fabulous Outta My Head, which I literally couldn't get outta my head in 1982

Classic

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

beantownbubba wrote:It seems like a lot of folks aren't familar w/ the Poptopia collections, so here are the track listings. Pretty much everything essential is here (either song, artist or both) and much of what's left is in the superb liner notes (for example the 90's disc is a bit lesser than the other 2 in part because of the absence of material issue, the gin blossoms and teenage fanclub due to licensing issues, as the notes themselves explain).

Out of these 54 tracks, i'd say something like 50-52 are keepers, which is pretty damn amazing. On the obscure but worthy and as yet unmentioned scale, #1 has to be The Shoes. I don't know that they made a bad album, but best bets include black vinyl shoes, present tense, stolen wishes and Shoes Best. The track on the 70's disc is representative. Other represented artists not mentioned above that made at least one good album include Tommy Keene, Jellyfish and Bill Lloyd.

On top of everything else, due to the nature of the genre this is the best way to listen to this music (collected varied tracks as opposed to single artist albums, of which very few are consistently worthy).

70's:

1. Go All the Way Raspberries 3:22
2 Couldn't I Just Tell You Todd Rundgren 3:21
3 Abracadabra (Have You Seen Her?) Blue Ash 3:09
4 September Gurls Big Star 2:48
5 Just a Chance Badfinger 2:58
6 I'm on Fire Twilley, Dwight Band 3:17
7 Shake Some Action Flamin' Groovies 4:33
8 Baby, It's Cold Outside Pezband 2:51
9 Come on, Come On Cheap Trick 2:36
10 Where Have You Been All My Life Fotomaker 3:23
11 I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend Rubinoos 3:21
12 Starry Eyes Records 4:25
13 Girl of My Dreams Bram Tchaikovsky 4:09
14 Cruel to Be Kind Nick Lowe 3:29
15 Good Girls Don't Knack 3:10
16 Too Late Shoes 2:46
17 Yellow Pills 20/20 4:18
18 Rock & Roll Girl Beat

80's:

1 What I Like About You Romantics 2:58
2 Baby It's You Phil Seymour 3:02
3 Hold on to Something Great Buildings 3:48
4 Tell That Girl to Shut Up Holly & The Italians 3:02
5 A Million Miles Away Plimsouls 3:34
6 She Goes Out With Everybody SpongeTones 2:29
7 Whenever You're on My Mind Marshall Crenshaw 3:17
8 I Want You Back Hoodoo Gurus 3:12
9 Every Word Means No Let's Active 2:54
10 Crybaby Utopia 4:22
11 Going Down to Liverpool Bangles 3:41
12 Love Is for Lovers dB's 3:19
13 Whatever Happenend to Fun... Candy 3:43
14 Places That Are Gone Tommy Keene 3:54
15 Behind the Wall of Sleep Smithereens 3:23
16 Lisa Anne Bill Lloyd 3:13
17 She's So Young Pursuit Of Happiness 3:36
18 There She Goes La's

90's:

1 I've Been Waiting Matthew Sweet
2 That Is Why Jellyfish
3 Twisterella Ride
4 Cope Gigolo Aunts
5 Rollin' Down the Hill Rembrandts
6 Jessica Something Tearaways
7 Solar Sister Posies
8 Proto-Pretty Wondermints
9 Into Your Arms Lemonheads
10 Lady in the Front Row Redd Kross
11 Same Thing Grays
12 Reasons Rooks
13 Trampoline Greenberry Woods
14 I Can't Stop Smiling Velocity Girl
15 Hold Me Up Velvet Crush
16 The Party Rages On Zumpano
17 Every Minute P. Hux
18 You're All Forgiven Idle Wilds

and how does one attain the Power Pop CDs?

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

Pernice Brothers, I didn't see them mentioned at all.
The Slickee Boys- great band from DC that still play one or two shows a year. Some of their stuff has shown up on emusic. Uh Oh No Brakes is awesome
The Wishniacs out of Philly were real good.

And how about Fountains of Wayne? Saw them share a stage with DBT a few years back. Not a great band live but hard to argue with the melodies and hooks.

scotto

Post by scotto »

lajakesdad wrote:a couple i remember

not the one with yellow pills but the one after. has the semi hit Nuclear Boy and the fabulous Outta My Head, which I literally couldn't get outta my head in 1982

Classic

Good call on The Plimsouls, and I'd also add "A Million Miles Away" from their first record. Peter Case's first band, The Nerves, was a bit more power-pop-punk, but did the original version of the classic "Hangin' on the Telephone," later covered by Blondie (and Golden Smog).
Some others that I don't believe have been mentioned:
The Real Kids with John Felice (an original Modern Lover); check out "All Kindsa Girls."
The Records.
And don't forget this one, a power-pop classic:

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

If we're thinking of the same Nerves then their ep (whatever it's called...it's from '77 I think) is great.

I wasn't that impressed with The Real Kids when I heard their s/t(?) record...it was alright, with a really good song or two, but I expected more...

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Crowded House
Nada Surf (everything from Let Go onward)
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Fountains of Wayne

I truly love Better than Ezra's Closer - Juarez is one of my favorite songs ever.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Bill in CT wrote:Crowded House
Nada Surf (everything from Let Go onward)

sucker for crowded house. Power pop though? Mmmm
In my blood, there's gasoline..

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

shuffle wrote:so I've been getting back into listening to this type of music again, which is great... I thought the one's of us on 3DD that dig this type of music could share rec's and stuff in here. I remember that beentownbubba gave me a bunch of recommendations on 9B before the forum transfer, and I'm sad to say that I don't think I've listened to any of them...it was just after I was given those rec's that I sort of dropped out of touch with power pop in general, sorry 'bout that btb. I've got them wishlisted on rateyourmusic so I haven't forgotten about them completely :) I'll get on it...

well, here's the album that made me start this thread:

I don't really know much about the band except that they're British and were mainly active during the late '80s/early '90s (I think). This one's from 1991 and it's the only album of theirs that I've heard...and it's a really good one. I got it through a recommendation from a guy on another forum in 2008 I think, listened to it a bit then and then completely forgot about it after clearing out my iPod. Listening to it again now...the first track, Young People, is just great. In another world this should've been a hit...pretty much everything on this album is stolen from somewhere, but it fits together perfectly...Young People has pretty much the same melody as one of the tracks on Candy's Whatever Happened To Fun..., which I know btb enjoys :)

so, um, recs guys!

(I'll post more later)

That Pooh Sticks album is pretty good. You're sure right about pretty much everything being stolen from somewhere, lol. That NYoung riff in the 2d song annoys the hell out of me every time i hear it (3x so far). You're also right about "Young People"- definite hit potential. They skirt the "too derivative" and "too cutesy" lines, but when they stay on the right side of them, they make some sweet sounding songs. I would say they have a future but i gather from your summary that their future's already behind them. Too bad.

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

Yeah, that's pretty much my assessment of the album too. I really enjoy it, but there's a few too many "annoying" things for me to consider it a favourite or anything like that...but like most power pop albums a few tracks from it would be awesome on mixtapes and the like...

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Feel free to slap me around for this, but I was looking through some of my daughters CDs and found some stuff I dug:

Bowling for Soup
Yellowcard
Augustana
Jimmy Eat World
All-American Rejects
Good Charlotte
Simple Plan

Only a couple of cuts per album (take it in small doses). but like shuffle said if you're slapping together a mix, one or 2 songs might suit you.
O.K. Let me have it.

Oh, and I like this song Little Black Backpack by Stroke 9, too.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Slipkid42 wrote:Feel free to slap me around for this, but I was looking through some of my daughters CDs and found some stuff I dug:

Bowling for Soup
Yellowcard
Augustana
Jimmy Eat World
All-American Rejects
Good Charlotte
Simple Plan

Only a couple of cuts per album (take it in small doses). but like shuffle said if you're slapping together a mix, one or 2 songs might suit you.
O.K. Let me have it.

Oh, and I like this song Little Black Backpack by Stroke 9, too.

All American Rejects: Excellent band, first 2 albums both well worth owning.
Jimmy Eat World: Selective cuts definitely make the grade
Good Charlotte: Heard of them, probably know a song or 3 i'm not placing at the moment
The rest: never heard of them, which is no comment on the quality of any of 'em either way, just a fact.

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

wow, that list is a blast from the (my) past slipkid :lol: It's mainly bands that are usually referred to as pop-punk. I used to listen to Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, Jimmy Eat World and Bowling For Soup when I was 15 :D most of it got old pretty quick, but I still maintain that they (at times) had a knack for a great melody and chorus, but most of it lacks substance... Good Charlotte were usually pretty terrible wannabe punk rockers, but had a couple of fun songs. Simple Plan were too whiny over more than a few songs. Bowling For Soup were a lot of fun from what I remember. The only song I remember by Jimmy Eat World is The Middle, and that one was great. I've heard stuff from All American Rejects and Yellowcard, from what I remember it wasn't too bad but nothing I'd care to explore more. I should add that I haven't listened to any of these bands since I "grew out" of them when I was 16-17 and got into classic rock instead. I've got cd's by Simple Plan and Good Charlotte somewhere around here...maybe I'll go check them out.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Yeah shuffle, this stuff is mostly for your fun moments. Good Charlotte tried to be sinister, but check out People mag & Nicole & Joel & the baby pictures and you know that could never happen. Yet they do have 5-6 catchy 'power punk' tunes. All-American Rejects do seem (like bubba says) to have potential. Yellowcard is up tempo music about teenage angst (nice melodies). Jimmy Eat World is pretty versatile. My fav by them is "Praise Chorus', which pays homage to a great power pop song of the 60's 'Crimson and Clover' by Tommy James & the Shondells. Simple Plan can be taken in only very small doses, but they're not bad.
Bowling for Soup is tons of fun. Their '1985' is in the mold of Fountains of Wayne's 'Stacey's Mom', brash and sassy. Their stuff, Rejects, & Jimmy Eat World bears repeated listening (if you give yourself enough thoughtful music in-between).

Check out the Little Black Backpack, though. It was my favorite song for about 37 hours, at one point in time.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Resurrecting this thread with a great 45 I picked up:

(No, that's not my 45 or video.)

I'm not a huge Monkees fan, but I absolutely love the pop-craft magic that was Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart (the crack songwriters for most Monkees hits). Obviously more garage-pop than power-pop, but definitely a precursor and still in the ballpark.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I've got to get acquainted with Badfinger.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:I've got to get acquainted with Badfinger.

Agreed.

I could totally see that free advertising they got last night gaining them a lot of new fans.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Oh, were they on breaking bad or something? I figured it had to be something like that, smitty's not usually the non-sequitur type.

You'll get no argument from me. A classic example of a band that was basically choked to death by the burden of unfair expectations (they were the first band signed to Apple, the Beatles personal label). Between the overall publicity and the expectation that they would be a rock band when they were actually almost purely pop (though they could rip it in concert) they got lost in the shuffle. All the albums i'm aware of are worth a listen but it's the first two that are key (that's from memory; I'll check later and report back if i find anything different). There's also a nice tribute album, but dime will hate it.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Oh, were they on breaking bad or something? I figured it had to be something like that, smitty's not usually the non-sequitur type.

You'll get no argument from me. A classic example of a band that was basically choked to death by the burden of unfair expectations (they were the first band signed to Apple, the Beatles personal label). Between the overall publicity and the expectation that they would be a rock band when they were actually almost purely pop (though they could rip it in concert) they got lost in the shuffle. All the albums i'm aware of are worth a listen but it's the first two that are key (that's from memory; I'll check later and report back if i find anything different). There's also a nice tribute album, but dime will hate it.

I think in some ways their story was similar to Big Star. Bad management, some financial malfeasance and a poor distribution deal I believe as well as some of your points. If Breaking Bad gets people into them so be it. Great, great band.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:Oh, were they on breaking bad or something? I figured it had to be something like that, smitty's not usually the non-sequitur type.

Hey, what's a few years and a couple of albums between friends? AMG lists Magic Christian first. That's not what I meant. Then comes No Dice and Straight Up which are both worth hearing, especially the latter. A couple of years and a couple of albums later came the other one I was originally thinking of, Wish You Were Here. The tribute album is called Come and Get It and includes tracks by rock royalty like Adrian Belew and Al Kooper (I'm telling you, that guy is ubiquitous) and a who's who of power pop including Aimee Mann, Cherry Twister, The Rooks, The Plimsouls, Dwight Twilley, 20/20, P. Hux and The Knack.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Very cool to see P. Hux (aka Parthenon Huxley and Rick Rock) mentioned here. I'm not sure how well known he is outside of North Carolina (aside from his stint with the Orchestra and the Electric Light Orchestra II). "Buddha Buddha" was all over WQDR in Raleigh back in the day (1982). It made enough waves that Tina Turner expressed an interest in recording it but to the best of my knowledge that never happened.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

beantownbubba wrote:There's also a nice tribute album, but dime will hate it.

w/o even hearing it, i know this to be correct.

i do however dig this:
ty segall doing t-rex.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

they rock a bit harder than most power pop bands and aren't well known, but Sunnyboys deserve some more ears.