the Power Pop thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

TW_2.0

Re: the Power Pop thread

Post by TW_2.0 »

I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

zoid

Post by zoid »

How about The Cars? Their first album is practically perfect.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

zoid wrote:How about The Cars? Their first album is practically perfect.

Yeah, it really is. Candy O is pretty awesome too.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

According to Chuck Prophet, this Flamin' Groovies song is the Mona Lisa of Power Pop:

zoid

Post by zoid »

Let's Active is pretty poppy.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Two excellent PP records I've spent a good amount of time with recently:
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Haim? Saw them on the tube a couple of weeks ago and then this thread poped back up.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Swamp wrote:Haim? Saw them on the tube a couple of weeks ago and then this thread poped back up.
Saturday Night Live? The ex and I were watching that--first time I saw it liveish this year. (I'm still getting used to how near-real-time viewing works out in the country over satellite.) Nice vocals, crappy backing track. I was happy when she suggested fast-forwarding past it.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Swamp wrote:Haim? Saw them on the tube a couple of weeks ago and then this thread poped back up.
Saturday Night Live? The ex and I were watching that--first time I saw it liveish this year. (I'm still getting used to how near-real-time viewing works out in the country over satellite.) Nice vocals, crappy backing track. I was happy when she suggested fast-forwarding past it.
Yes. The bass player, like many other bass players, intrigued me. Her facial expressions just didn't match the music.
I checked them out on youtube and decided l would pay to see them live.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

scotto

Post by scotto »

Just played this last night...

Joe Jackson and '80s Billy Joel had a baby and they called it "Jules and the Polar Bears."

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

cortez the killer wrote:Two excellent PP records I've spent a good amount of time with recently:
Some good stuff there, best liked the Historix of the two....you tried this one?

cortez the killer

3milelake wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:Two excellent PP records I've spent a good amount of time with recently:
Some good stuff there, best liked the Historix of the two....you tried this one?
I'm not familiar with Alejandro's brother. I will be sure to check him out.

A power pop compilation I've given a good amount of attention over the past few weeks is Titan: It's All Pop.
From 1978-1981 the Titan label issued only eight records, but over the years their tiny catalog has crawled to the top of power-pop want lists worldwide and appeared on scads of bootleg cassettes, building a legacy to rival L.A. s Bomp or New York s Ork. Located in fly-over country, Titan was forced to start their own scene, import their own skinny ties, and scour Missouri for their own talent. Their midwest AM bubblegum roots are apparent in the likes of Gary Charlson, the Secrets*, Arlis!, Gems, Millionaire At Midnight, the Boys, J.P. McClain & the Intruders, Bobby Sky, and Scott McCarl, but Titan was clearly influenced by the glam-punk spit being hocked from the 100 Club stage.

30 years since they meekly flopped out their first 7 single, Kansas City s Titan Records finally returns to record bins everywhere in a deluxe two-disc retrospective with comprehensive 40-page booklet.
Another excellent compilation (which led to my discovery of Prix) is Ork Records: New York, New York. It contains a good mix of punk, post-punk & power pop from artists like Television, The Feelies, Richard Hell, The dB's, Prix and Alex Chilton to name a few. The early Television single, Little Johnny Jewel, kicks ass. It's their "Down By the River".
Where in the mythos of punk is there room for a frizzy-haired cinephile San Diegan? How could the defining rock attitude and look of the late 1970s get brainstormed by two go-nowheres from a boarding school in Hockessin, Delaware - a D student and kid voted Most Unknown by his senior class? Forget the worn-out yarns about London gobbers and safety-pin piercings - the true story of the birth of punk rock on 45 is the story of Ork Records, captured by Numero Group on four hefty LPs (or two shiny compact discs) and told across 120 (184 for the CD) high-gloss pages filled with insider photos and sordid details. It is a story populated by iconic names like Television, Alex Chilton, Lester Bangs, Richard Hell, the Feelies, Patti Smith, Talking Heads, Brian Eno, Blondie and the Ramones. And it’s a tale told from the hallowed grounds of CBGB, Max’s Kansas City, and Ardent Studios. It all began with Terry Ork, a Jewish SoCal film nerd enthralled by Andy Warhol’s posse as they made a transgressive surfing flick, who moved cross-country to manage a movie memorabilia shop on the grubby streets of the Lower East Side. Made in the shadow of disco and dereliction in late-‘70s Manhattan, Ork Records: New York, New York is not just the genesis of punk, it is the birth of the New York City scene and indie culture as we know it.
- DPM

scotto

Post by scotto »

cortez the killer wrote:A power pop compilation I've given a good amount of attention over the past few weeks is Titan: It's All Pop.
From 1978-1981 the Titan label issued only eight records, but over the years their tiny catalog has crawled to the top of power-pop want lists worldwide and appeared on scads of bootleg cassettes, building a legacy to rival L.A. s Bomp or New York s Ork. Located in fly-over country, Titan was forced to start their own scene, import their own skinny ties, and scour Missouri for their own talent. Their midwest AM bubblegum roots are apparent in the likes of Gary Charlson, the Secrets*, Arlis!, Gems, Millionaire At Midnight, the Boys, J.P. McClain & the Intruders, Bobby Sky, and Scott McCarl, but Titan was clearly influenced by the glam-punk spit being hocked from the 100 Club stage.

30 years since they meekly flopped out their first 7 single, Kansas City s Titan Records finally returns to record bins everywhere in a deluxe two-disc retrospective with comprehensive 40-page booklet.
Another excellent compilation (which led to my discovery of Prix) is Ork Records: New York, New York. It contains a good mix of punk, post-punk & power pop from artists like Television, The Feelies, Richard Hell, The dB's, Prix and Alex Chilton to name a few. The early Television single, Little Johnny Jewel, kicks ass. It's their "Down By the River".
Where in the mythos of punk is there room for a frizzy-haired cinephile San Diegan? How could the defining rock attitude and look of the late 1970s get brainstormed by two go-nowheres from a boarding school in Hockessin, Delaware - a D student and kid voted Most Unknown by his senior class? Forget the worn-out yarns about London gobbers and safety-pin piercings - the true story of the birth of punk rock on 45 is the story of Ork Records, captured by Numero Group on four hefty LPs (or two shiny compact discs) and told across 120 (184 for the CD) high-gloss pages filled with insider photos and sordid details. It is a story populated by iconic names like Television, Alex Chilton, Lester Bangs, Richard Hell, the Feelies, Patti Smith, Talking Heads, Brian Eno, Blondie and the Ramones. And it’s a tale told from the hallowed grounds of CBGB, Max’s Kansas City, and Ardent Studios. It all began with Terry Ork, a Jewish SoCal film nerd enthralled by Andy Warhol’s posse as they made a transgressive surfing flick, who moved cross-country to manage a movie memorabilia shop on the grubby streets of the Lower East Side. Made in the shadow of disco and dereliction in late-‘70s Manhattan, Ork Records: New York, New York is not just the genesis of punk, it is the birth of the New York City scene and indie culture as we know it.
Yes, that Titan set is way cool. Didn't know about the Ork Records set--on the list it goes.

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Coming from you two, a ringing endorsement. Both saved on Spotify
scotto wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:A power pop compilation I've given a good amount of attention over the past few weeks is Titan: It's All Pop.

Yes, that Titan set is way cool. Didn't know about the Ork Records set--on the list it goes.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I love that Titan collection. And while I haven't listened to them in some time, 20/20 was a fave for a number of years.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

cortez the killer

Here's another recent, under-the-radar Power Pop discovery from 1980.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Semi-Obscure Power Pop I
1. I Remember a Time/Blue Ash
2. Remember/Artful Dodger
3. Hearts in Her Eyes/The Records
4. (Dee, Dee You're) Stuck on a Star/Milk 'N' Cookies
5. Cherry Baby/Starz
6. Face to Face/Code Blue
7. Dancing the Night Away/The Motors
8. She Might Look My Way/Prix
9. Stick With Me Baby/Paley Brothers
10. Turn Your Back/Hollins Ferry
11. I Wanna Love You/Treasure
12. Cigarettes/City Boy
13. Jealousy/The Poppees
14. Every Night Is a Holiday/The Spongetones
15. When You Find Out/The Nerves
16. Stop, Wait a Minute/Pez Band
17. Yes It Is/Rockin' Horse
18. Bad Indication/Off Broadway
19. Quit This Town/Eddie & The Hot Rods
20. Sorry Sorry Sorry/The Scientists
21. Tonight/The Boys
22. Boys Will Be Boys/The Fast
23. Alone With You/Sunnyboys
24. Grammar of Misery/The Barracudas
25. What Do You Want Me to Do?/Pointed Sticks
26. Men in Your Life/Green Pajamas
27. Slip Into Sound/The Marbles
28. Sorry to Embarrass You/Razorcuts
29. Time Machine/Bobby Sutliff
30. At First Sight/The Stems
31. Better Be Good/The Real Kids
32. You Need Pop/The Speedies
33. 2-4-6-8 Motorway/Tom Robinson Band
34. Sleeping Aides and Razorblades/The Exploding Hearts
35. I'm in Love With the Girl on the Manchester Virgin Superstore Megastore Checkout Desk/The Freshies
36. Reasons/The Rooks
37. It Won't Be Long/The Quick
38. I Could Be in Heaven/The Flatmates
39. She's So Young/Pursuit of Happiness
40. Almost Prayed/The Weather Prophets
- DPM

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

go tthis one pretty firmly wedged in my head lately. one of the earliest jon brian performances/compositions

"didnt leave a forwarding address / all you left was me in a mess" is one of the ultimate power pop lines

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The kid played me these on the way back from the horse show yesterday. Dig the Beach Boys harmonies with the Harrison guitar on the first one:

I knew playing A Wizard, A True Star and Todd on the way to day care would pay off someday.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

cortez the killer

TW_2.0 wrote:New Dwight Twilley interview
http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2014/11 ... interview/
A couple weeks ago I was psyched to pick up pristine copies of Sincerely and Twilley Don't Mind on vinyl.
- DPM

scotto

Post by scotto »

Used to be just The Beat, then became Paul Collins' Beat...

cortez the killer

Knock Down the Old Grey Wall: Six Decades of Power Pop

60s
1. The Searchers | When You Walk In the Room
2. The Beau Brummels | Just a Little
3. The Hollies | Look Through Any Window
4. The Beatles | You Won't See Me
5. The Byrds | I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better
6. The Easybeats | Friday On My Mind
7. The Cyrkle | Red Rubber Ball
8. Small Faces | All Or Nothing
9. The Who | The Kids Are Alright
10. The Creation | Making Time
11. The Turtles | Outside Chance
12. The Monkees | Last Train to Clarksville
13. Bee Gees | In My Own Time
14. The Kinks | David Watts
15. The Left Banke | She May Call You Up Tonight
16. The Action | Something To Say
17. The Move | Flowers in the Rain
18. The Merry-Go-Round | Live
19. The Buckinghams | I've Been Wrong
20. Tommy James & The Shondells | I Think We're Alone Now
21. The Millennium | It's You
22. The Zombies | This Will Be Our Year
23. Nazz | Open My Eyes
24. The Beach Boys | Do It Again
25. 1910 Fruitgum Company | Goody Goody Gumdrops

70s
26. Badfinger | No Matter What
27. Raspberries | Go All The Way
28. Todd Rundgren | Couldn't I Just Tell You
29. Pilot | Just a Smile
30. Big Star | September Gurls
31. Flamin' Groovies | Shake Some Action
32. Artful Dodger | Honor Among Thieves
33. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers | American Girl
34. The Nerves | Hanging On The Telephone
35. Dwight Twilley Band | Looking For The Magic
36. Starz | Cherry Baby
37. Cheap Trick | Southern Girls
38. The Records | Starry Eyes
39. Fotomaker | Where Have You Been All My Life
40. The Cars | My Best Friend's Girl
41. The Only Ones | Another Girl Another Planet
42. Paul Collins' Beat | Rock N Roll Girl
43. The Toms | Other Boys Do
44. Shoes | Tomorrow Night
45. The Last | She Don't Know Why I'm Here
46. The Knack | Good Girls Don't
47. Buzzcocks | Everybody's Happy Nowadays
48. The Undertones | Teenage Kicks
49. 20/20 | Yellow Pills
50. Nick Lowe | Cruel To Be Kind

80s
51. Rockpile | When I Write the Book
52. The Jam | Man In The Corner Shop
53. The Lambrettas | Cortina Mk II
54. The Late Show | Take a Chance
55. The Romantics | When I Look In Your Eyes
56. Phil Seymour | Baby It's You
57. The Shivvers | No Substitute
58. Sunnyboys | Alone With You
59. Holly & The Italians | Tell That Girl To Shut Up
60. The Barracudas | I Can't Pretend
61. The dB's | Black And White
62. The Producers | What She Does to Me
63. Great Buildings | Hold On To Something
64. The Greg Kihn Band | The Breakup Song
65. The Spongetones | She Goes out with Everybody
66. The Plimsouls | A Million Miles Away
67. The Three O'Clock | Jetfighter
68. Let's Active | Every Word Means No
69. Marshall Crenshaw | Whenever You're on My Mind
70. Hoodoo Gurus | I Want You Back
71. Game Theory | Erica's Word
72. Tommy Keene | Places That Are Gone
73. The Stems | At First Sight
74. The Smithereens | Behind The Wall Of Sleep
75. The La's | There She Goes

90s
76. The Posies | Golden Blunders
77. Jellyfish | Baby's Coming Back
78. Material Issue | Valerie Loves Me
79. Matthew Sweet | I've Been Waiting
80. Adam Schmitt | Can't Get You On My Mind
81. The Lemonheads | Into Your Arms
82. The Rooks | Reasons
83. Sloan | Penpals
84. Chris von Sneidern | Big White Lies
85. The Grays | Same Thing
86. Velvet Crush | Hold Me Up
87. The Greenberry Woods | Trampoline
88. Gigolo Aunts | Where I Find My Heaven
89. Zumpano | The Party Rages On
90. The Wannadies | You And Me Song
91. Teenage Fanclub | About You
92. The Shazam | Everything
93. The Apples In Stereo | Seems So
94. Scott McCarl | I Think About You
95. Cotton Mather | My Before and After
96. The Merrymakers | Saltwater Drinks
97. The Young Fresh Fellows | When the Girls Get Here
98. Myracle Brah | Whisper Softly
99. Spoon | Car Radio
100. Owsley | Zavelow House

00s
101. TSAR | Calling All Destroyers
102. The Grip Weeds | Love's Lost on You
103. Guided By Voices | Chasing Heather Crazy
104. The Nines | Melanie
105. Weezer | Photograph
106. Superchunk | Late-Century Dream
107. The Model Rockets | A Notice To Everyone
108. Nada Surf | Happy Kid
109. Superdrag | Extra-Sensory
110. The High Strung | Not Another Word
111. Brendan Benson | Tiny Spark
112. Fountains Of Wayne | Hey Julie
113. The Long Winters | New Girl
114. Guster | Amsterdam
115. The New Pornographers | The Laws Have Changed
116. Rooney | Blueside
117. Pernice Brothers | The Weakest Shade of Blue
118. The Essex Green | The Late Great Cassiopia
119. The Exploding Hearts | Sleeping Aides and Razorblades
120. The Jellybricks | Can't Be Wrong
121. Splitsville | White Dwarf
122. The Well Wishers | See For The First Time
123. Shake Some Action! | I Can See Where This Is Going Now
124. Mike Viola | The Strawberry Blonde
125. The Red Button | Cruel Girl

10s
126. Readymade Breakup | Waiting For You
127. The Len Price 3 | Keep Your Eyes on Me
128. Gentleman Jesse & His Men | You've Got the Wrong Man
129. Free Energy | Free Energy
130. The Demos | Nervous
131. Redd Kross | Stay Away from Downtown
132. Nick Piunti | On the Way Out
133. Mikal Cronin | Am I Wrong
134. Wyatt Blair | Ba Ba Ba (Life's a Bitch)
135. Ex Hex | How You Got That Girl
136. 1-800-Band | Diver Blue
137. Barreracudas | Cut Me Loose
138. The Ravines | Dead Letters
139. Chris Stamey | Where Does the Time Go?
140. The Jeanies | Amilee
141. The Strypes | Behind Closed Doors
142. Sitcom Neighbor | Tourist Attraction
143. Pugwash | What Are You Like
144. The Stanleys | Amy
145. Rozwell Kid | Boomerang
146. P. Hux | This Is the One
147. Unlikely Friends | All the Cameras in Japan
148. The Number Ones | You're So Happy I Could Cry
149. the dates | any other nite
150. The Boys With The Perpetual Nervousness | Close the Doors
- DPM

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

cortez the killer

- DPM

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

cortez the killer wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 12:43 pm
Looked this up and he seems to have expanded on this ever so slightly...

cortez the killer

305 Engine wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 12:40 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 12:43 pm
Looked this up and he seems to have expanded on this ever so slightly...

I've spent a time or two on the Guided by Voices Slope.

But Chalk Leg Mirror Mountain is where things get decidedly more proggy....
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Nice. First heard three of them based on recs here.

There are some nicely quotable lines but I'm too lazy to quote them at the moment The one other thing that caught my eye was the reference to a 25 minute record as a "full length album." :? :?:

cortez the killer

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:07 pm

There are some nicely quotable lines but I'm too lazy to quote them at the moment The one other thing that caught my eye was the reference to a 25 minute record as a "full length album." :? :?:
I missed the 2nd Grade album. Strong GBV vibe when Bob is mining the pop side of the 4 Ps.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:54 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:07 pm

I missed the 2nd Grade album. Strong GBV vibe when Bob is mining the pop side of the 4 Ps.
2nd Grade sounds like the real deal on first listen to their 2 albums.