The Alabama Shakes Thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: What happened to the Alabama Shakes?

Post by beantownbubba »

Sub wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
Sub wrote: Revmatt is this you?
beantownbubba is this you?
:lol:
:lol:

PS They're not the cover story but a story about the Shakes is one of the headlines listed on the cover of the current rolling stone (I don't know what the publishing term is for that kind of mention).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Sub wrote:
Howlinwolf wrote:They owe all their success to Patterson Hood btw....if it was not for him, they may have never made it out of the SE.
Old quote but still very inaccurate, sure he helped give em a boost up in some circles but certainly didnt carve out their path.

If the man was that great then he surely would've made the truckers break through to a much larger audience..

He got them in touch with DBT's management team and their record label ATO. The Shakes are still signed to both. Beyond that it was AS's drive, hard work and listening to smart advice that got them the rest of the way.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

walthers

Post by walthers »

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Palladia was showing the Coachella festival on TV this weekend. Me and a buddy caught the Shakes set. If I had to describe their live set in one word it would be underwhelming. The pacing was slow overall and the new songs didn't hit my button but I'd rather listen to a roots rock band than a lot of the kooky bands that played at Coachella.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

I'm listening to the new record at work right now. I don't think I want to get through the entire thing.

roland

Post by roland »

I'm hoping it becomes a "grower". Listened twice today as background, and once in the car, and I'm underwhelmed. I've warmed up the turntable and towers for a couple of hours, and am going to throw on the vinyl when the wife gets home in a few, hoping to be surprised.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I flat out don't like it. I'll give it a few more spins but I might trade this in next time I hit one of the local record stores.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/20420-sound-color/
http://www.metacritic.com/music/sound-c ... ama-shakes

The gap between the opinion here and the critical reception to this record is interesting.

Not that the critics are always right, but it's night and day from about 95% of the opinions I've seen here.

I still dig it. Especially the middle third of the record.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Without having read any of the reviews linked above, I'm gonna come out and say that I think it's brilliant.

Kind of a Sister Loretta Tharpe meets Berlin-era Bowie.

Definitely an avant garde vibe (which may explain the mixed opinions here.) I think of bands like Portishead, Radiohead (when they were at their peak), TV on the Radio.

What distinguishes it from a lot those "trying-to-hard-to-be-the-next-hip-thing"-acts however, is the musicianship. These guys are a real band.

Would've loved to hear RevMatts opinion on this. Someone needs to lure him out of his self-imposed road-case asylum.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

RolanK wrote:Without having read any of the reviews linked above, I'm gonna come out and say that I think it's brilliant.

Definitely an avant garde vibe (which may explain the mixed opinions here.) I think of bands like Portishead, Radiohead (when they were at their peak), TV on the Radio.

What distinguishes it from a lot those "trying-to-hard-to-be-the-next-hip-thing"-acts however, is the musicianship. These guys are a real band.

Would've loved to hear RevMatts opinion on this. Someone needs to lure him out of his self-imposed road-case asylum.
You'll have to ask him on the book of face. I saw him in Athens a couple of weeks back and I think he intends on staying off 3DD for awhile.

I haven't had a chance to hear the album yet. Maybe this weekend I'll have time.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Pre-ordered the album the day it become available. Still have not received my copy. Customer service states that it should deliver sometime next week, however still has not shipped.

This seems to be an SOP for every ATO product which I preorder.

Can't wait to listen to it. The two singles I have heard sound fantastic.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cubfan06 wrote:Pre-ordered the album the day it become available. Still have not received my copy. Customer service states that it should deliver sometime next week, however still has not shipped.

This seems to be an SOP for every ATO product which I preorder.

Can't wait to listen to it. The two singles I have heard sound fantastic.
Yeah, Music Today is their in house distribution arm and they suck. Flat out.

Dean

Post by Dean »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
RolanK wrote:Without having read any of the reviews linked above, I'm gonna come out and say that I think it's brilliant.

You'll have to ask him on the book of face. I saw him in Athens a couple of weeks back and I think he intends on staying off 3DD for awhile.

I haven't had a chance to hear the album yet. Maybe this weekend I'll have time.
Radiohead has made a pretty great career out of BEING the hip thing, for like 20 years now. With the same lineup.

Jonny Greenwood plays, like, 15 instruments, too.
Last edited by Dean on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

I've tried a few times with this new one and so far am not digging it at all. No songs really stick with me. I don't like Brittany's high voice at all. Sounds like RnB now. No rawness or energy like before. I will try a few more times before ditching it.

And I really loved this band when they came out. Saw their first LA show and it blew me away.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Not digging this at all.

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

There seems to be an unusual amount of advertising for this album. I wish ATO would put this kind of money into promoting a DBT album (this is where the in-the-know types tell me that ATO has nothing to do with promotion). I have seen numerous ads, they printed RSD bags promoting the new album. I think I have even seen a TV commercial. A lot of hype for an album these days regardless of who is promoting it.

I may try it again, but I just haven't liked it at all in the 2 listens I have given it.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I'm really enjoying the new album so far. Still haven't made it all the way through (lack of time more than anything), but Sound and Color, Don't Wanna Fight, Future People and Gimme All Your Love are spectacular songs. Clever guitar interplay all over the place, deep grooves, great production.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

First time through and I'm liking it. Maybe even a lot.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I find it interesting that while many people worried that the band was being strongly marketed as "Brittany and these random guys you shouldn't care about," the production on this album very much pushes the band to the forefront and pulls Brittany back a bit.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Zip City wrote:I find it interesting that while many people worried that the band was being strongly marketed as "Brittany and these random guys you shouldn't care about," the production on this album very much pushes the band to the forefront and pulls Brittany back a bit.
Yes, it's definitely a band album, not a solo album. I'm really liking the layered approach to her vocals. Dunno how they'll pull it off live, but it sounds great on record.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Patterson weighs in:

Congratulations to Alabama Shakes for their incredible new album.
Sound & Color came out this week and has been getting rave reviews.
It shows a maturity and sophistication that seems to be taking some people by surprise.
Not me. I knew they were something really special the first time I ever saw them and this album just confirms what I've said all along. Alabama Shakes is one of the greatest rock and roll bands in the land and their new album will definitely be one of the finest releases of this already sterling year.
We cant wait to be playing shows with them this summer and fall.
-- PH
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Duke Silver wrote:
Zip City wrote:I find it interesting that while many people worried that the band was being strongly marketed as "Brittany and these random guys you shouldn't care about," the production on this album very much pushes the band to the forefront and pulls Brittany back a bit.
Yes, it's definitely a band album, not a solo album. I'm really liking the layered approach to her vocals. Dunno how they'll pull it off live, but it sounds great on record.
I watched part of their Coachella set and the live versions come off as less "affected" (meaning stripped of the studio machinations) but are still powerful

walthers

Post by walthers »

There you have it, debuted at number one. Great for the band, congrats!
http://www.jambands.com/news/2015/04/29 ... umber-one/

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

walthers wrote:There you have it, debuted at number one. Great for the band, congrats!
http://www.jambands.com/news/2015/04/29 ... umber-one/
Jimmyjack ain't gonna like this.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

File under "songs I'm obsessed with right now."

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

I've never really been a big fan of the band and I don't think they should be trying to 'pull back' the strongest factor--which is Brittany! I feel like she needs to go into the studio with just a jack white or a dan auerbach and cut a stripped down record. This stuff isn't working.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Penny Lane wrote:I've never really been a big fan of the band and I don't think they should be trying to 'pull back' the strongest factor--which is Brittany! I feel like she needs to go into the studio with just a jack white or a dan auerbach and cut a stripped down record. This stuff isn't working.
I don't agree with the business where she's being pulled back here at all. She's front and center on these songs which are built around her voice. The music is strong too but it's all about Brittany's vocals IMO. I'm liking the record more and more but if there's one thing I do miss from the band's early days it's the low-fi garage/soul band vibe. there just aren't a lot of bands doing that on a high level and I thought these guys had that opportunity. Instead they went for a R&B meets artistic Rock vibe and it mostly works, definitely has commercial appeal and made for a strong record.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I would argue that the least successful song is the one they try to do the garage band thing on ("The Greatest")

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Ugh, Jack White. Gross.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:I would argue that the least successful song is the one they try to do the garage band thing on ("The Greatest")
I actually like that one quite a bit but I also think Gimme All Your Love fits in the garage/soul category as well. As of right now the only song on the record that falls in the unlistenable column is Future People, which I literally lunge for the button to turn off. Holy moley that one is bad.