Feature of the Week (1/5/14): Link Wray's Three Track Shack

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Feature of the Week (1/5/14): Link Wray's Three Track Shack

Post by cortez the killer »

Bob Dylan & The Band had The Basement Tapes. The Rolling Stones had Nellcôte. Link Wray had The Shack.

Fred Lincoln “Link” Wray is best known as the pioneering electric guitarist responsible for such legendary instrumental hits as “Rumble” & “Rawhide.” Hailed by some as the man who “invented the power chord,” Rolling Stone magazine listed him at #67 in their Top 100 greatest guitarists of all-time. His influence on rock & roll is indisputable, as musicians from Pete Townsend to Jimmy Page to Jack Rose to Iggy Pop cite Wray as having a major impact on their careers.

However, rather than focus on things you probably already know, this feature will examine on a lesser-known period in Wray’s career during which he retreated to the family farm and recorded some great stripped down music steeped in the blues, country, gospel and folk music he grew up on.

The 1960s was a decade that saw great cultural and political change. In discussing “The Sixties,” it is widely understood that one is referring to the counterculture and its impact on the social norms of society. The music of the 60’s was dominated by the British Invasion and psychedelia. Toward the end of the decade, a countermovement against the bloated, dominant scene manifested itself with a number of artists adopting a backwards-reaching simplistic, rustic approach to making music. Some of the most notable examples of this include Bob Dylan’s John Wesley Harding, the first two albums from The Band, The Byrds’ Sweetheart of the Rodeo, and the emergence of Creedence Clearwater Revival from the epicenter of the counterculture movement, San Francisco.

Equally disillusioned with the scene and the seeking freedom from the “commercial” restrictions of the music industry, Link Wray “retired” to the family farm in Accokeek, MD in 1966. "I didn't try to get into that hippie scene," he said of his low profile during the late 1960's and 1970's. "They'd all be stoned on LSD and I'm very spiritual and never messed with no kinda drugs." Soon after arriving on the farm, he and his brother Vernon converted an old chicken shack into a lo-fi recording space complete with a 3-track recorder. They dubbed the place the “Three Track Shack” and spray painted it on the wall. In speaking of the experience, Link stated, "It's different working in the Shack. We just sit down, start the tape and play what we want. If it's good it's good and if it's bad it's bad. But there's no electronics - just the real nitty gritty. Honest music. When I'd be working in the studios in New York it'd be like working in a cathedral."
Over four plus years, Link, his brothers and a cast of musicians recorded dozens of songs at the Shack. The band utilized anything and everything they could find to help create the music. Cans filled with nails, raw wood, and foot stomps provided the percussion on a handful of tracks. The back-to-basics nature of the Shack sessions rekindled Link’s musical fire. Reflecting back on the change, Link recalled, "You get these studios with 16 tracks and 24 tracks and you get drunk with power. You start adding more and more to what you have and in the end it's becoming mechanical music, head music, all planned out. The feeling comes first. Feeling is the secret not some jumped up sound. I reckon that the days of the 24 track studios are over and there's going to be a return to simplicity."

The Shack sessions eventually yielded three commercially available albums – Link Wray (1971), Mordicai Jones (1971), and Beans and Fatback (1973). The Beatles’ label, Apple Records, originally sought to sign Link and release the material recorded at the Shack. However, he wound up inking a deal with Polydor Records. “Like I told you, I'm very spiritual. I drink Heineken, I drink beer, you know? So what I did, when that type of music, with the LSD audience and everything arose and started bein' popular, I just started playin' in this redneck club down in Maryland, called the Two Thieves Club. Down by the waterfront, you know? And I was playin' down in this club, playin' CCR and Elvis and (roots rock). And that's what I was doin' until Polydor...Actually it wasn't Polydor. The Beatles wanted me on Apple Records. And so they sent this here representative from New York City down to talk to me, (to see) if I'd record for Apple Records. I said, "Well I guess, you know..." (The rep) says, "Aw, the Beatles love Link Wray. They want Link Wray on their Apple label." So, they talked me into it, anyhow. After hours, after I got through playin' my redneck club, then I can go into the studio and do a little bit of recording. And I thought I was recording for Apple Records. But between the time I was recording and it got all mixed down, then some producer out of New York City goes up to my brother Ray, and all of a sudden I'm not on Apple Records. I'm on Polydor Records. You know, I still think there was money involved there. I don't know how. But anyhow, I just told my brother Ray, I said, "Well, you're not gonna cheat me this time. The songs this time's gonna be called "Link Wray." So that's when I signed up with BMI, on the Polydor stuff. That's the first time that I put my foot down and said, "Okay, my writing is gonna be called "Link Wray" from now on." Even though they still stole the publishing from me. At least I got my writer's.”

Despite strong promotion from Polydor, the first of the trilogy, Link Wray, did not sell very well. However, this album is a raw, gritty, greasy, swampy masterpiece that sits beside nicely with similar works of the era like the first 2 The Band records, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main St. Songs like "La De Da," "Juke Box Mama," "Fallin’ Rain," "Fire and Brimstone," and "God Out West" are essential pieces of the rich songbook of the era. Link’s cover of Willie Dixon’s “Tail Dragger” is noteworthy as well. If you are a fan of those better-known, more celebrated albums, you would be well-served seek out Link Wray’s eponymous recording.

After the lack of commercial success with Link Wray, Link & crew decided to shift gears and release the next album under the moniker, Mordicai Jones. Mordicai Jones was actually Link’s keyboardist, Bobby Howard. Singing duties on the album were also handled by Howard. Link was missing a lung due to a bout with tuberculosis in the 1950’s. One can just imagine how difficult it was for him to sing on the previous record. This, coupled with a desire to reach a wider audience, were factors in Link handing over singing responsibilities to Howard. Musically, the album maintains much of the primitive spirit present on the previous Shack recording.

The final album in the Shack Trilogy, Beans and Fatback, contains recordings that did not make the first Shack record. Most notably, the album has a harder, more rockin’ edge than the previous Shack albums. Staying true to his roots, Link does a fantastic cover of Leadbelly’s “In the Pines” and the traditional “Take My Hand (Precious Lord).” Also worth mentioning is the excellent original, “I'm So Glad, I'm So Proud.”

Largely forgotten and/or out or print, these records came back into the public eye in 2005 repackaged as a 2-CD collection from Arcadia Records titled Wray’s Three Track Shack. In the liner notes, music historian, John Collis, keenly observed the following, "In the late 1960s there was a studied attempt by such musicians as The Band, Neil Young, Guy Clark and David Ackles, all in their own way, to evoke a rock n roll version of Americana, of white clapboard chapels, dungareed farmers, dusty drifters and outlaws... It turned out that Link and his brothers had been playing the real thing all along, hidden away on the farm. The eponymous 1971 album grew out of the landscape, the struggles and the religious certainties of Link's own past. He didn't have to adopt the pose of a stubble-chinned homesteader. He was one." Sadly, Wray’s Three Track Shack is now out of print, too.

Essential Shack Tracks

"La De Da"

"Fire and Brimstone"

"Juke Box Mama"

"Fallin' Rain"

"God Out West"

"I'm So Glad, I'm So Proud"

"Tail Dragger"

"In the Pines"

"Take My Hand (Precious Lord)"

"Scorpio Woman"

"Days Before Custer"
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Smitty

Re: Feature of the Week (1/5/14): Link Wray's Three Track Sh

Post by Smitty »

Fuck yes.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

I always think of Jack Rabbit Slim's when i hear Rumble :D

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Nice job! I've had the self titled Link Wray in my cannon close to 5 years now & listen to it often. I've spent a bit of time with Beans & Fatback, however until this past year I knew nothing of Mordicai Jones or the fact the 3 records were tied to the same location. I like your reference to The Basement Tapes as both "studios" are very unique and shared an ultra lo-tech recording process, as well an organic approach to the music.

Interesting The Beatles were fans & might things have been different on another label? Thanks for mentioning his middle name was Lincoln, always thought Link was an odd handle.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

perfect.

link wray is a god. always dug his early work. seminal.

then.....a good while back, 3mile hooked me up with the self titled. was and still am shockingly amazed at what a great record it is....and why nobody had ever heard it. completely floored by the fact that this was the same dude.

did not know the full story on the shack sessions. i will dig in with the effort this fantastically talented man earned.

bro had it in spades of all colors.

great job.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Another top notch feature out of the Killer.

That eponymous album sounds like it's right in my wheelhouse.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

My interest in Link Wray peaked after hearing Fire and Brimstone on the Country Funk compilation. It was shortly thereafter that Cortez hooked me up with a copy of the Three Track Shack and I was immediately in love with the sound, the rawness, and the vibe.

As always, you nailed it with Link and your FOTW.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Nice writeup.

cortez the killer

Thanks, folks. Link Wray is an absolute legend & it is a shame that more people don't recognize this. I mean, how the fuck is he not in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? Anyhow, most of the Shack material is relatively new to me. I love it and cannot understand how it is not better known or readily available. Authentic, gritty, no-frills country, blues & soul played by one of rock & roll's true pioneers. The son of of semi-literate Shawnee Indian parents growing up in rural North Carolina, I love this quote from Link, "Elvis, he grew up white-man poor. I was growing up Shawnee poor."

Out of print, but worth hunting down, is Link's brother, Vernon Wray's, 1972 album, Wasted. It wasn't technically recorded at the Three Track Shack, but Vernon did move the back wall of the shack out to Tuscon, AZ to record Wasted. You can read more about the album here.
- DPM

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

cortez the killer wrote:Link Wray is an absolute legend & it is a shame that more people don't recognize this. I mean, how the fuck is he not in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?

Agreed. Not even close to getting in on the ballot this year either:

http://www.rockhall.com/get-involved/interact/poll/

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I saw a whole lot of "who the hell is Link Wray?" commentary in regards to his nomination last year. Goes to show the general public hasn't a fucking clue.

I've mentioned it before but I'll mention it again, my formal introduction to him was his self-titled record via one of my older brothers who had no idea about "Rumble". I'm not sure how that happens but it does. By the way, if anyone knows where to find a couple copies of that on vinyl, I have a friend that's in search of. Longshot, I know but it's worth a try.

This is a piece Raleigh News and Observer music writer David Menconi did on Link last year:

The case for Link Wray’s induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Link Wray in 1971. COURTESY OF LINKWRAY.COM — Courtesy of LinkWray.com

scotto

Post by scotto »

Way cool.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

good read, kudzu.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

It's a little later, but if you can find it, get it!

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Great feature, cortez!! Link Wray was well known to me, as I grew up in a town that was 5 miles from Accokeek. He is a true rock & roll pioneer. The fact that he isn't already in the HOF proves yet again what a sham that place is. In the 80's I lived in a house in Accokeek that we rented. In the basement was the remnants of what was once a recording studio. Supposedly (according to our landlady), Link had lived in that house & recorded some stuff there too. This was before the 3 Track Shack days

She said he recorded this one in my old basement:

Billy Poore, in his book Rockabilly: A Forty-year Journey, gives some good firsthand insight into Link's career (and mentions the recording studio in my old basement.
http://books.google.com/books?id=fdvoZRLEs7EC&pg=PA139&dq=rockabilly:+a+forty-year+journey++link+wray&hl=en&sa=X&ei=223RUo2nLvK-sQSq5oGYDg&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=rockabilly%3A%20a%20forty-year%20journey%20%20link%20wray&f=false
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Kudzu Guillotine

Jess Rotter does beautiful work. If you haven't done so already, be sure to check out her website as well as this interview Dust and Grooves did with her recently.

Kudzu Guillotine

Link Wray Music Festival

About
Celebrating the heritage of Dunn's own musician, Link Wray. Fred Lincoln Wray, Jr., better known as "Link Wray" was born, May 2 1929 in Dunn, NC.

Description
Join us in celebrating the heritage of Dunn's own musician, Link Wray. The Annual Link Wray Music Festival, held each year on the 1st Saturday in May, brings recognition to North Carolina's most talented Rock & Roll Musician and nominee for the 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Sponsorships, volunteer opportunities & additional information always available. Contact: Dunn Area Tourism Authority at (910) 892-3282 or email info@dunntourism.org

Kudzu Guillotine

With all due respect, I was caught a bit off guard by Nantucket being picked to headline this year's Link Wray Fest.

cortez the killer

Is there a song that sort of kick-started the idea of "country funk" for you?
All this stuff came from my days of being a tour manager. I toured with bands like Devendra Banhart and Joanna Newsom and Vetiver and Bonnie "Prince" Billy. We would just buy records everywhere. And there was a real moment when you realize that when you think you're hot shit, you sort of don't know anything. That happened with those Link Wray records.

All of my prior information about this person would suggest that he never made music that sounded like that. I really liked the "Rumble"-era stuff, but it actually blew my mind when I listened to the record, which I played on a whim because the cover was rad. I was like, "Oh, I didn't even realize this dude made records in the Seventies." And I heard a sound that was just everything I wanted. So I think we used "Fire and Brimstone" on the first volume — that song is what made me want to find more stuff like that. And the whole "country funk," me and my friends just made it up, which I think is so funny because I've done some interviews where people have almost put more thought into it than I have.

You can read the whole interview with Country Funk curator, Zach Cowie, here.
- DPM

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

these are back in print as a relatively cheap 2 disc set, fyi. remastered, with a song that was missing from the last issue.

i just nabbed one for $16, shipped, from an amazon seller.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Some Link Wray reissues coming soon!

cortez the killer

That's excellent news! I picked up Beans and Fatback on Record Store Day and the insert said the others would be reissued "soon". Looking forward to getting the self-titled on vinyl as it is one of my all-time, favorite records.
- DPM

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

^^^^
I've had Link in my rotation ever since your write-up. Just threw down the $70 for the 4 reissued albums.

Clams

Post by Clams »

cortez the killer wrote:
I saw It Might Get Loud with my son when it came out in theaters a few years ago and I remember that scene clear as day. Fantastic.
If you don't run you rust

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

That song Fire and Brimstone is bad ass. Thanks for the heads up Cortez.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Can't wait to see this!

Clams

Post by Clams »

Happy bday Link Wray, born 5/2/29

If you don't run you rust