AOTW - 11/18/13 - Turnpike Troubadours

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: AOTW - 11/18/13 - Turnpike Troubadours

Post by Iowan »

Gang Green wrote:I'm a big fan of these guys. I see they're hitting Baltimore and Philly in early November. May have to check them out.
Hoping for some Upper Midwest dates this winter, myself. Nice to see them getting out to the east coast. You definitely need to get to those shows if you can.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Can not wait for the new record!
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cole Younger wrote:Can not wait for the new record!
You listened to this one, Cole?

Absolutely first class songwriting from Evan Felker and RC Edwards right now.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Thanks for posting the new songs. Really like this ^^^^ one, Iowan.
Looking forward to seeing them for the first time next month in Fresno.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Iowan wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Can not wait for the new record!
You listened to this one, Cole?

Absolutely first class songwriting from Evan Felker and RC Edwards right now.
Sure have! I LOVE it.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Some good interviews here.
http://www.americansongwriter.com/2015/ ... roubadors/

http://newslanglbk.com/2015/09/10/inter ... oubadours/

Seems like it should have been obvious influence is obvious, but cool to hear Felker talk about Levon Helm. The Band is all over in Turnpike's sound and writing.

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Don't know much about this band, but looking forward to seeing them Oct 28.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/savi ... -the-year/

SCM's Artist of the Year. Well deserved.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Iowan wrote:https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/savi ... -the-year/

Agreed. Have been spinning their album quite a lot lately.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

RolanK wrote:
Iowan wrote:https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/savi ... -the-year/

Agreed. Have been spinning their album quite a lot lately.
At this point, they're on par with DBT for me. A lot of the things that drew me to DBT originally apply even more strongly to them. Overall, the body of work isn't even close - yet - but in terms of what's exciting me now and what I'm wearing out, they're carrying that water.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

^^^ I must admit I have only heard Diamonds & Gasoline in addition to the latest one. D&G has some great tunes, although perhaps not holding up through the entire album. This latest one otoh is pretty solid.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

RolanK wrote:^^^ I must admit I have only heard Diamonds & Gasoline in addition to the latest one. D&G has some great tunes, although perhaps not holding up through the entire album. This latest one otoh is pretty solid.
I think every album has been better than its predecessor thus far.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Iowan wrote:
RolanK wrote:^^^ I must admit I have only heard Diamonds & Gasoline in addition to the latest one. D&G has some great tunes, although perhaps not holding up through the entire album. This latest one otoh is pretty solid.
I think every album has been better than its predecessor thus far.
I need to investigate.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Multiple shows have been cancelled recently. I had tickets for an Oxford, Mississippi show in October and it has been cancelled. A recent cancellation was blamed on Evan Felker having kidney stones. I don't want to be too cynical here but I'm guessing it has as much to do with his liver as his kidneys.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

jr29 wrote:Multiple shows have been cancelled recently. I had tickets for an Oxford, Mississippi show in October and it has been cancelled. A recent cancellation was blamed on Evan Felker having kidney stones. I don't want to be too cynical here but I'm guessing it has as much to do with his liver as his kidneys.
Didn't realize that they were cancelling beyond that early September run. Looking at their schedule, I think they must have had another reason to cancel the Oxford show. They have a bunch of October dates still up.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me either. It's pretty well out that Miranda Lambert dumped him, and he tried to go back to his ex wife who told him to kick rocks. I assume he's down in the bottle hard.

My prediction is that he cleans up (assuming that's what's going on), and takes the life wreckage he created over the past year, and writes their "Southeastern".

jr29

Post by jr29 »

More cancellations this weekend.
I have tickets for a bluegrass Underground show they are supposed to be playing in March but I'll definitely make backup plans.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

They are supposed to headline the free music festival in my hometown over Labor Day weekend, hope the organizers have a backup plan.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

If I were RC Edwards, I’d be thinking real hard about cutting ties with Felker.

The guy is brilliant, but he needs to sort himself out. I’d pay the other guys $30 a night to play fuckin covers.

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Iowan wrote:If I were RC Edwards, I’d be thinking real hard about cutting ties with Felker.

The guy is brilliant, but he needs to sort himself out. I’d pay the other guys $30 a night to play fuckin covers.
Tough to cut ties with Felker...I get your point though. Friend of mine saw them in Omaha on the 14th. Said Felker seemed sober and on MF'ing point. I jacked around after this last string of cancellations and didn't buy tickets to the show in Lawrence, KS this coming Thursday. Scrambling now to get tix. When he is on the band is hot...hope they come out OK.

Oh and speaking of RC...how would you like to buy this bad boy RC has for sale...classic RC.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

hendooman wrote:
Iowan wrote:If I were RC Edwards, I’d be thinking real hard about cutting ties with Felker.

Tough to cut ties with Felker...I get your point though. Friend of mine saw them in Omaha on the 14th. Said Felker seemed sober and on MF'ing point. I jacked around after this last string of cancellations and didn't buy tickets to the show in Lawrence, KS this coming Thursday. Scrambling now to get tix. When he is on the band is hot...hope they come out OK.

Oh and speaking of RC...how would you like to buy this bad boy RC has for sale...classic RC.

That’s fucking hilarious. RC is the shit. I’ve only met him once, but he couldn’t be a more entertaining dude.

Awesome to see them stringing some shows together. I’m rooting for these guys.

If Felker can sort himself out and find stability, he’s going to write their Southeastern.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I have tried and tried but just don't get it. They have a few really greatly written songs but it just hasn't clicked for me like it has for others I guess. All the cancelled dates with flimsy excuses and the Miranda Lambert gossipy shit further turns me off.

I mean I know if Rodney, Cole and Iowan dig em then there's something there so I'm sure it's a "not you, but me" issue. To be honest though I haven't been than enamored at hardly any of the new darlings of the Americana scene; hell it took me awhile to come around to Sturgill and while I love Tyler Childers but not to the degree that most seem to. That may be part of my ambivalence towards TT; new americana/alt country acts just haven't grabbed my attention because no matter how solid they are, it feels like I've heard it before. I have similar issues with American Aquarium and acts like Cody Jinks, Colter Wall, etc.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:I have tried and tried but just don't get it. They have a few really greatly written songs but it just hasn't clicked for me like it has for others I guess. All the cancelled dates with flimsy excuses and the Miranda Lambert gossipy shit further turns me off.

I mean I know if Rodney, Cole and Iowan dig em then there's something there so I'm sure it's a "not you, but me" issue. To be honest though I haven't been than enamored at hardly any of the new darlings of the Americana scene; hell it took me awhile to come around to Sturgill and while I love Tyler Childers but not to the degree that most seem to. That may be part of my ambivalence towards TT; new americana/alt country acts just haven't grabbed my attention because no matter how solid they are, it feels like I've heard it before. I have similar issues with American Aquarium and acts like Cody Jinks, Colter Wall, etc.
I get it. I’m the exact same way with Centromatic. So many people with similar taste to me love them, and while Will Johnson’s talent is apparent, the songs generally don’t land with me, except Love You Just the Same, which I love. I’ve also struggled to get into Colter Wall.

With Turnpike, it’s the songs that just get me. Right on the nose. I like their musicianship a lot, but as you pointed out it’s not like they broke the mold. But man, tunes like The Bird Hunters, Housefire, Long Drive Home, Ringing in the Year, etc are for my money some of the best of the past 5–10 years.

I’ve also seen them live a lot, and always seen really tight, powerful shows. Clearly I’ve been lucky on that front. It was the show I discuss in the opening post that took me from casual fan to hardcore.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I'm getting married in two weeks and the plan is to boogie from the wedding straight to Pelham, Tn for a TT's show. It hasn't been cancelled yet, but I'm far from optimistic.
Evan Felker is definitely my favorite songwriter under the age of 45. I have lots of trouble with most of the big Americana acts right now, but I'm all in on Turnpike. They are on another level.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

jr29 wrote:I'm getting married in two weeks and the plan is to boogie from the wedding straight to Pelham, Tn for a TT's show. It hasn't been cancelled yet, but I'm far from optimistic.
Evan Felker is definitely my favorite songwriter under the age of 45. I have lots of trouble with most of the big Americana acts right now, but I'm all in on Turnpike. They are on another level.
All the shows last week went well, as far as the band.

Tough to predict at this point, but that’s a good sign.

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Iowan wrote:
jr29 wrote:I'm getting married in two weeks and the plan is to boogie from the wedding straight to Pelham, Tn for a TT's show. It hasn't been cancelled yet, but I'm far from optimistic.
All the shows last week went well, as far as the band.

Tough to predict at this point, but that’s a good sign.
Think I found a ticket to the show tonight in Lawrence, will let you know how it goes.

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Great show last night in Lawrence. Band was real tight, Evan definitely looked on point and they all seemed to be connecting well together. So hopefully there is no discourse within the band. Only complaint was the set was short...I am going to have to go back and check my other TT set lists to compare but only 19 songs, spot on 1:30 minutes.

The Granada
Lawrence, KS
February 21, 2019

21:30
Housefire
Every girl
7&7
Morgan Street
Shreveport
Pay no rent
Gin smoke lies
Tornado warning
Doreen
Lorrie
KCS
Whole damn town
Bossier City
Band intros jam Evan on harp
Diamonds & Gasoline Evan solo with steel
Get drunk get high get loud RC
Long hot Summers day
E:
Bird hunters
Something to hold on to
23:00

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I’ve always found their sets a tad short.

The only marathon set I’ve ever caught is the show in the original post where they played D&G and GNS in their entirety, plus the tracks from their first album that ended up on the self titled one.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

hendooman wrote:Great show last night in Lawrence. Band was real tight, Evan definitely looked on point and they all seemed to be connecting well together. So hopefully there is no discourse within the band. Only complaint was the set was short...I am going to have to go back and check my other TT set lists to compare but only 19 songs, spot on 1:30 minutes.

The Granada
Lawrence, KS
February 21, 2019

Housefire
Every girl
7&7
Morgan Street
Shreveport
Pay no rent
Gin smoke lies
Tornado warning
Doreen
Lorrie
KCS
Whole damn town
Bossier City
Long hot Summers day
E:
Bird hunters
Something to hold on to
Good news. Thanks for the review.

I saw one TT show that certainly felt like a marathon. It was around 2012 at Minglewood Hall in Memphis. American Aquarium opened and they totally killed it that night. The way I remember the TT set is that it was like a rowdy saloon in some old western...people swinging from chandeliers, alcohol flying through the air, fistfights, etc. It was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

jr29 wrote:
hendooman wrote:Great show last night in Lawrence. Band was real tight, Evan definitely looked on point and they all seemed to be connecting well together. So hopefully there is no discourse within the band. Only complaint was the set was short...I am going to have to go back and check my other TT set lists to compare but only 19 songs, spot on 1:30 minutes.

The Granada
Lawrence, KS
February 21, 2019

Housefire
Every girl
7&7
Morgan Street
Shreveport
Pay no rent
Gin smoke lies
Tornado warning
Doreen
Lorrie
KCS
Whole damn town
Bossier City
Long hot Summers day
E:
Bird hunters
Something to hold on to
Good news. Thanks for the review.

I saw one TT show that certainly felt like a marathon. It was around 2012 at Minglewood Hall in Memphis. American Aquarium opened and they totally killed it that night. The way I remember the TT set is that it was like a rowdy saloon in some old western...people swinging from chandeliers, alcohol flying through the air, fistfights, etc. It was one of the best shows I've ever seen.
This sounds similar to my first TT show; same time frame.

There was no fighting, but they had sold out Wooly's in Des Moines, which they admitted they didn't expect. There was lots of alcohol flying through the air, and the band was absolutely full throttle, which got the crowd rowdier. I'm pretty sure there was plenty of booze and stimulants fueling both the crowd and the band.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

To be fair I don't think there were any fistfights at the Memphis show either but it was so raucous in there it would have probably gone unnoticed.