AOTW - 11/18/13 - Turnpike Troubadours

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Cole Younger

Re: AOTW - 11/18/13 - Turnpike Troubadours

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:I have tried and tried but just don't get it. They have a few really greatly written songs but it just hasn't clicked for me like it has for others I guess. All the cancelled dates with flimsy excuses and the Miranda Lambert gossipy shit further turns me off.

I mean I know if Rodney, Cole and Iowan dig em then there's something there so I'm sure it's a "not you, but me" issue. To be honest though I haven't been than enamored at hardly any of the new darlings of the Americana scene; hell it took me awhile to come around to Sturgill and while I love Tyler Childers but not to the degree that most seem to. That may be part of my ambivalence towards TT; new americana/alt country acts just haven't grabbed my attention because no matter how solid they are, it feels like I've heard it before. I have similar issues with American Aquarium and acts like Cody Jinks, Colter Wall, etc.
I get that, Smitty. And it may be that you just decide they aren't for you. Nothing wrong with that. But I think maybe I know what could be your sticking point on these guys and the other artists that you mentioned.

If I was looking at TT or Sturgill, Colter Wall, Tyler Childers, Cody Jinks etc as alt country or Americana, I think maybe something wouldn't sit quite right with me.

TT and all these others are not alt country. They aren't Americana. To me, what they really are is a new batch of really fine country artists. That's it. I think if I thought of them as either of those other two categories it wouldn't quite work somehow.

They are just country. I won't rehash what a pile of crap mainstream could try is. We all know it. But these artists are just country artists, really good ones, who don't have a home there because they actually play country music. Tyler Childers has even said as much. He came out and said he is not an Americana artists, doesn't see the need for that label at all anymore,and that what he is is a country artist. Sturgill has said the same thing.

To me once you look at them in that light it works much better.

Now I struggled with Colter Wall. I just did not like his voice at first and it took a while to acquire a taste for it. But Clams and a few others sang his praises so that I kept going back to him and now I'm a big fan. Sturgill though, I freaked out the first time I heard him and had a similar reaction to the first time I heard the Truckers. Like I had found something I had been looking for.

Glad to hear TT are back on track.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Interesting takes. I don't know much about TT, but I would support Cole by saying that I don't really know if Alt Country/Americana is a thing anymore (and hasn't been for several years). Feels like the newer artists have evolved out of that mold
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I think Cole's onto something here.

I think Sturgill and TT have some pretty significant rock leanings (particularly the guitar work), but overall I'd have to agree with that. These are country artists that make country music and "country music" in a pop sense has gotten so far removed from that these artists seem completely alien to that scene.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I’m not optimistic.

Felker is in horrific shape. I just hope he survives at this point.

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

Iowan wrote:I’m not optimistic.

Felker is in horrific shape. I just hope he survives at this point.
Yeah, the video from that benefit a few weeks back is pretty tough to watch.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Some of the past statements when there have been cancelled shows have been a little vague, even though we all know what the issue is. That statement pretty much throws all ambiguity out the window.
I saw them in March right after a long string of cancellations and Evan was ok. He was drinking, but under control.
If he showed his ass at a Byron Berline benefit it wouldn't surprise me if Kyle Nix decided enough is enough. I believe he and Byron are pretty tight.

Edit.....I watched the video from the Berline benefit and it's pretty heartbreaking.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The Berline benefit was beyond showing your ass. That’s a kind of messed up that’s beyond alcohol. That looked like hard drugs to me.

One of the admins in their Facebook group posted that they’re done. Don’t know if the others will continue to work together or what. If Felker doesn’t get help, he’s another dead genius country star.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I’ve never seen them or been able to get into them at all so I guess you could say my ears are fresh......because I thought that performance in Guthrie was beautiful. Evan just seemed shy with okie charm to me. But really I just dog the overall sound of that recording. I like how it’s bluegrass with a drum kit——or a rock band with fiddle and banjo——and that’s also what I like about what Tyler Childers does but these guys have it down. This video is making me want to go see them and I never thought that before. But it might be too late. Hope not.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

dug the sound of that recording.

Plus, I imagine the guy is just plain heartbroken. To have the girl and lose the girl but get another girl only to lose her?
Tough pills to swallow for sensitive boys like us. And when you’re used to boozing and using WITH a girl by your side, then she’s gone and all you have is the boozing and using? Tough pill to swallow.

“We learned how to fight, but not to heal” a quote from the newest Tom Russell record which btw is stellar top to bottom. You wouldn’t be surprised to find out McMurtry wrote the songs but Russell wrote them and delivered them with aplomb.
Might be his best yet.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I think it's going to be awhile before you get a chance to see these guys, if at all. They're done - for now. If Evan gets it together and straightens up, I wouldn't be surprised to see a reunion, but it's done for now unless something changes.

Glad I got to see them 6-7 times. The songs will always remain.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Another example of why you always go to the show. I had an opportunity to see these guys,wanted to go,but didn't pull the trigger. Now it looks like I may never get to see them.

It's sad because I really like this band a lot. But it kind of makes me mad too. Maybe I shouldn't feel that way but for Evan Felker to throw away his band,career,and talent over something all of us have been through, assuming g it is losing his woman, well that's just horse shit honestly. Get it together man. You have a lot to live for.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

From what I understand it’s not that he’s heart broken.

He has high levels of anxiety that he self medicates with booze/drugs. He never really expected to “make it” and the pressure and notoriety has all but broken him.

Mental health issues that he hasn’t addressed have turned into substance abuse issues he isn’t addressing, and it’s brought the band to an impasse. A not uncommon, but unfortunately frequent things with musicians.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Iowan wrote:From what I understand it’s not that he’s heart broken.

He has high levels of anxiety that he self medicates with booze/drugs. He never really expected to “make it” and the pressure and notoriety has all but broken him.

Mental health issues that he hasn’t addressed have turned into substance abuse issues he isn’t addressing, and it’s brought the band to an impasse. A not uncommon, but unfortunately frequent things with musicians.
Ah, well, that's a different situation entirely. I hope he gets the help he needs and heals. I don't know if he and Jason Isbell are familiar at all but he would be a good one for him to talk with.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cole Younger wrote:
Iowan wrote:From what I understand it’s not that he’s heart broken.

Ah, well, that's a different situation entirely. I hope he gets the help he needs and heals. I don't know if he and Jason Isbell are familiar at all but he would be a good one for him to talk with.
They opened for Isbell once or twice, but I’ve never heard they were close.

Unfortunately, it sounds like he has little interest in getting help. Sick of being a touring musician/public figure, and just kind of wants to be off the grid and left alone to oblivion. I hope he realizes how much he has to give the world.

The other guys are staying busy. Kyle Nix is already in the studio.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

They have a long relationship with American Aquarium and BJ Barham has been sober for several years. That was the bill when I saw them in March.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

jr29 wrote:They have a long relationship with American Aquarium and BJ Barham has been sober for several years. That was the bill when I saw them in March.
Forgot about that. BJ would definitely be a good resource for Evan.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Iowan wrote:

That's pretty much what happened to one of my best friends last year - severe mental illness self medicated with booze (minus the musician/celebrity aspect). It didn't end well. I hope Felker gets the help he needs.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

They were supposed to headline our local (free) music festival Labor Day weekend, hope the organizers have a backup plan.

roland

Post by roland »

Iowan wrote:
jr29 wrote:They have a long relationship with American Aquarium and BJ Barham has been sober for several years. That was the bill when I saw them in March.
He's reached out to Evan. Don't know anything beyond that.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

roland wrote:
Iowan wrote:
He's reached out to Evan. Don't know anything beyond that.
The Reddit traffic makes it sound like Evan just wants to literally ride off into the sunset.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Iowan wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:57 am
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... w-1043568/

Finally some good news in 2020.
This makes me very happy
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

jr29

Post by jr29 »

dogstar wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:25 am
Iowan wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:57 am
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... w-1043568/

Finally some good news in 2020.
This makes me very happy
Great news. Plenty of sober folks out there making killer music. Let's hope Evan becomes one of them.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I don't think his next release will be with the Troubadours, but I'm up for new Evan Felker music any time.

From what I've gathered there's some pretty bad blood about how the end of the band went down, and considering that every single member of the band (except Felker) played on Kyle Nix's solo album, it kind of tells me how the battle lines are drawn.

It's great that he's got himself cleaned up and together. Hopefully he's got a "Southeastern" in him. Lord knows the last few years have given him enough material to draw on.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I really enjoy these guys.

I think I started listening after I read that they were doing a show at my alma mater. I’ve never seen them live and had read some pieces that made me wonder if they were still together.

TT cover Alabama’s “If You’re Gonna Play in Texas”. My daughter loves dancing to the song!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Beaverdam wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:36 pm

I think I started listening after I read that they were doing a show at my alma mater. I’ve never seen them live and had read some pieces that made me wonder if they were still together.

TT cover Alabama’s “If You’re Gonna Play in Texas”. My daughter loves dancing to the song!
I would not consider them together. They never officially broke up, but they haven't played together in over a year. Multiple band members have started new projects.

They might get back together at some point, but it sounds like behind the scenes the rest of the band is still pretty pissed at Felker for messing it up and it's pretty damn sore right now.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Iowan wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:53 pm
Beaverdam wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:36 pm

I meant to mention how much I enjoyed reading your original write up, Iowaonian! Your post reads like journalism (in a good way)!

I would not consider them together. They never officially broke up, but they haven't played together in over a year. Multiple band members have started new projects.

They might get back together at some point, but it sounds like behind the scenes the rest of the band is still pretty pissed at Felker for messing it up and it's pretty damn sore right now.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

It's almost like a video of Sasquatch or something. Pretty sure this is first public appearance playing music since the meltdown at Byron Berline's benefit back in May of '19.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Iowan wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:53 pm

It's almost like a video of Sasquatch or something. Pretty sure this is first public appearance playing music since the meltdown at Byron Berline's benefit back in May of '19.
Well it’s nice to see it. Of course my hope is that TT reunite. Any idea what happened? Was it a substance thing or did his cheese just slide off his cracker?