Artist Of The Week 09/23/2013 Drivin' 'N' 'Cryin"

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Artist Of The Week 09/23/2013 Drivin' 'N' 'Cryin"

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Photo by Todd Ploharski which was posted to the Low Yo Yo Stuff Records page on FB. That's Buren on the far right. I think you'll recognize some other familiar faces as well.

Kudzu Guillotine

Mountain Stage at 30: Songs From the Doc (Part Three)

Kevn Kinney & Peter Buck - "The Last Song of Maddie Hope"

When R.E.M. guitarist Peter Buck joined Drivin N Cryin's Kevn Kinney on Mountain Stage in April 1990, he told Larry Groce he wanted to bring his band back to be on the show. As one might expect, Groce couldn't believe it, but--in the end--Kinney and Buck's appearance on the show paved the way for R.E.M. to land on the show a year later. The rest is history.

Kudzu Guillotine

The latest on the Drivin' n' Cryin' documentary, more info here.

Help us secure the music and video rights necessary to market and distribute the documentary, "Scarred but Smarter: life n times of drivin n cryin".

For nearly four years I followed the band, Drivin n Cryin, around with cameras looking for reasons why a group with such an impressive catalog, regional fame, and longevity hadn't enjoyed more national success. Through the eyes of fellow fans Peter Buck, Darius Rucker, Ed Roland, Ty Pennington, band members past and present, friends, family, and more- I uncovered the fascinating, behind-the-scenes story of a band that has spent nearly thirty years both creating great music and making questionable career moves. Along the way we explore the true meaning of rock and roll success. This is the story of how and why Drivin n Cryin IS a rock and roll success. But it isn't a whitewash. The good, bad, and ugly are all revealed. I call it a celebration- warts and all.

When making the film I was aware that many people watching might be exposed to the band's music for the first time. It was important to me that their songs be featured throughout the soundtrack. Not only in big concert performances, but also as a thread running below the interviews that tell the story. I wanted newbies to be exposed to so many little snippets of the band's catalog that they would want to hear more after watching the film.

The problem is that the band doesn't own the rights to their early records. So in order to get the movie distributed we have to pay the rights for the music and official video pieces used in the film. The good news is that we have a deal to make that happen. The bad news is that it's a lot of money for an independent film company like Shanzing to afford. With your help in reaching our goal of $50,000 we will be able to pay off those who need to be paid off- and get the movie out there so current fans can see the true story of one of their favorite rock bands- and future fans have the opportunity to discover and enjoy the remarkable legacy of Drivin n Cryin.

We have great perks waiting for you at our different funding levels. At $10 you get to stream the movie. At $25 you get the DVD. There are many levels that include T-shirts, autographed DVD's and posters, seeing your name in the film's credits, and more. At the top level you even get a chance to watch the movie in your home theater with the band in attendance. Some can give more. Some can give less. But if you believe in telling the story and preserving the legacy of this important band, please get involved and give what you can afford to give.

If you can't afford to give- please help us out by sharing this link and this campaign with as many people as you can. Check out the Indiegogo share tools and help spread the word.

thanks,

Eric Von Haessler

novisad

Post by novisad »

So I finally became a fan of the band and I'm in the process of acquiring some of the discography (and Kevn Kinney's) which is not an easy task with Mystery Road and Macdougal blues discontinued, but there's always iTunes as a last resort. So far I'm happy with what I've purchased and continue tracking down the other albums.

Kudzu Guillotine

novisad wrote:So I finally became a fan of the band and I'm in the process of acquiring some of the discography (and Kevn Kinney's) which is not an easy task with Mystery Road and Macdougal blues discontinued, but there's always iTunes as a last resort. So far I'm happy with what I've purchased and continue tracking down the other albums.

I happened upon MacDougal Blues for a buck at a local thrift store not long so you never can tell. Plus, there's always Amazon's used section. I still need to pick up some of those early albums myself. Believe it or not, I don't have anything pre-Fly Me Courageous on vinyl or CD.

novisad

Post by novisad »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I happened upon MacDougal Blues for a buck at a local thrift store not long so you never can tell. Plus, there's always Amazon's used section. I still need to pick up some of those early albums myself. Believe it or not, I don't have anything pre-Fly Me Courageous on vinyl or CD.

I bought the "Mystery Road Demos" from the band's website: it's a collection of 13 songs and it says they were produced by Peter Buck. One of the songs I'm enjoying at the moment is "Ain't it strange", which is the opening track on Mystery Road itself. So far one of the differences I've noticed, between the versions, is the addition of violin sections on the recorded version, while the demo version doesn't have those violins I believe.

I'm hoping both Mystery Road and MacDougal blues are reissued at some point in the future, in the meantime I have acquired a couple of albums including Great American Bubble Factory and A Good country mile, I'm still undecided as to which of the four EPs that came out between 2012-2014 I should get first.

Kudzu Guillotine

novisad wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I happened upon MacDougal Blues for a buck at a local thrift store not long so you never can tell. Plus, there's always Amazon's used section. I still need to pick up some of those early albums myself. Believe it or not, I don't have anything pre-Fly Me Courageous on vinyl or CD.

I bought the "Mystery Road Demos" from the band's website: it's a collection of 13 songs and it says they were produced by Peter Buck. One of the songs I'm enjoying at the moment is "Ain't it strange", which is the opening track on Mystery Road itself. So far one of the differences I've noticed, between the versions, is the addition of violin sections on the recorded version, while the demo version doesn't have those violins I believe.

I have the MacDougal Blues Revisited EP by Kevn Kinney and the Roamin' Countrymen (Peter Buck and Scott McCaughey) but haven't given it a listen yet.

novisad wrote:I'm hoping both Mystery Road and MacDougal blues are reissued at some point in the future, in the meantime I have acquired a couple of albums including Great American Bubble Factory and A Good country mile, I'm still undecided as to which of the four EPs that came out between 2012-2014 I should get first.

I have one of those (Songs From Laundromat). From what I understand, they're all going to be re-released at some point as a box set with bonus tracks. No telling when that's going to happen though.

Kudzu Guillotine

CELEBRATING OUR OWN: Drivin’ N Cryin’ Guitarist Buren Fowler

The late rocker, who also worked extensively with R.E.M., will get a
tribute concert this weekend in Athens, GA.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Rest In Peace Buren - The 40Watt is going to rock for you tomorrow.....

On a lighter note, DnC will close out Athfest this year - June 22nd -

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

One smoker of a show last night....

Here is the audio feed:

http://www.patchndent.com/

Kudzu Guillotine

With just 12 days left in the Indiegogo.com fundraiser, the filmmakers of the Scarred but Smarter: life n times of drivin n cryin documentary are still a long way from meeting their goal of $50,000. At present, only $12,800 has been raised. Here's a link to the website in case anyone wants to donate and/or help spread the word.

novisad

Post by novisad »

Interesting interview on nooga.com, here's the reason why they're raising money, the band doesn't own the rights to its own music, I didn't know this but doesn't surprise me.

"The band doesn't own the recording rights to any of the material from their first six albums. I could've avoided this headache by using more current live material or later recorded material, but there are certain parts of the movie that benefit from the use of those copyrighted recordings. That means we have to pay the record companies to get the right to distribute the film, and that's the purpose of the Indiegogo campaign. The movie is already made. We just need funds to clean up the rights situation."

Source: http://www.nooga.com/166348/chattapop-d ... t-smarter/

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Great recording by Sloan Simpson

Kevn Kinney Live at The 5 Spot on 2015-07-15
by Kevn Kinney

01) The Great North Myrtle Beach Pancake Massacre
02) (Welcome To The) Sun Tangled Angel Revival
03) Fly Your Flag High
04) Yes That's Me
05) Jesus Christ!
06) Scarred But Smarter
07) Wrapped In Sky
08) Broken Hearts And Auto Parts
09) This Train Don't Stop At the Millworks Anymore
10) Dirty
11) Ain't Waitin' On Tomorrow
12) Underground Umbrella*
13) Blues On Top Of Blues*
14) Sometimes I Wish I Didn't Care*
15) Let's Go Dancing*

* w/ Audley Freed - guitar

www.kevnkinney.com

Kevn Kinney - guitar, vocal
Sadler Vaden - gutar, vocal
Bryan J. Howard - bass, vocal
Dave V. Johnson - drums, vocal

Dean

Post by Dean »

Underground Umbrella with Audley Freed is a powerful song.

playing Motorco in Durham on 11/21. Tickets already purchased

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Playing The Pour House - Charleston December 12th - done deal...see ya there Low Country rockers

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Playing here Saturday night.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Kudzu Guillotine

From The R.E.M. Timeline
Only broadcasted on local Georgia TV, here's Drivin' N' Cryin's performance at the Georgia Music Hall Of Fame last month in Atlanta, with Peter Buck joining them on stage as well as inducting them into the Hall Of Fame (at 23:44 mark)
26 September 2015 - Georgia Music Hall Of Fame Awards, Georgia Ballroom, Georgia World Congress Center, Atlanta, GA
Drivin' N' Cryin': Let's Go Dancing - Midnight Rider - Let's Go Dancing / Honeysuckle Blue (w/ Peter Buck) / Straight To Hell (w/ Peter Buck)
Peter Buck inducts Drivin' N' Cryin' / Acceptance speeches by Tim Neilsen & Kevn Kinney
Drivin' N' Cryin': Fly Me Courageous - You Are Not Forgotten - Fly Me Courageous

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

We'll had the date wrong. The show is tonight. My wife and daughter are out of town. I'm here by myself watching football. My buddy Mark is the opening act. A wise man once said, "Always go to the show"...
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine

Per a post on the Drivin' n' Cryin' FB fanpage, Darius Rucker has recorded a cover of "Straight To Hell" featuring Lady Antebellum, Luke Bryan and Jason Aldean that will be included on his new solo record which is due on October 20th. This is a clip of Darius performing the song live for the first time with his own band back in June.

Will

Post by Will »

I hope this makes a ton of money for Kevn and the guys, as they've certainly earned it. I also kind of hope I never hear it.

Kevn's started his August residency at City Winery. I missed this week's, but he's got Lenny Kaye with him next week and Aaron Lee Tasjan and Jon Latam the week after that.

Clams

Post by Clams »

This week's American Songwriter lyric of the week has a great write up on Straight to Hell...

[quote]Georgia’s Drivin’ N’ Cryin’ derived its name from the two general categories into which their songs tend to fall. “Straight To Hell,” the band’s wonderfully woeful track from 1989’s Mystery Road, certainly falls closer to the “cryin’” part of the equation. But it rises above your typical tears-in-your-beer song thanks to the telling details, the sly sense of humor, and the idiosyncrasy of the narrator’s tale...

http://americansongwriter.com/2017/08/d ... ight-hell/
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Kudzu Guillotine

You might consider just posting a few lines from that article from American Songwriter rather than the entire piece. I say this because I know many writers that rely heavily on clicks to make a living. By posting the entire article here you give potential readers no reason to visit the site. Just a thought. By the way, I'm not trying to start anything so if you see this as an opportunity to start some shit with me, please save it. I have posted entire articles in the past not realizing what I was I doing. When the revenue aspect was brought to my attention in regards to the writer losing clicks, I started just posting a line or two from the article. Writers, like musicians are often struggling to get by so they rely on those clicks for their paychecks.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote: By the way, I'm not trying to start anything so if you see this as an opportunity to start some shit with me, please save it.
:roll:
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

The policy here has always been to share a few lines, then provide a link
Always go to the show

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Jonicont wrote:The policy here has always been to share a few lines, then provide a link
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Kudzu Guillotine

Jonicont wrote:The policy here has always been to share a few lines, then provide a link
Yet the article remains up, unedited and available on this page in its entirety. I probably shouldn't have said anything and wouldn't have if not for writer friends I know of that depend upon those clicks to make a living.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Clams wrote: :roll:
Always go to the show

Kudzu Guillotine

Jonicont wrote:
Clams wrote: :roll:
I'm not in the business of mind reading but I gather you share in Clam's eye roll despite me saying I didn't post to start anything but merely to suggest how important it is that folks be directed to the website so the writer and American Songwriter can gain clicks.