This Thread Has Very Little To Do With John Fogerty

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

This Thread Has Very Little To Do With John Fogerty

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Listen, I love John Fogerty and CCR, I really do. Who'll Stop the Rain, Fortunate Son, Suzie Q, Proud Mary and about a dozen others are really, really great songs but his "look at me I'm John fuckin' Fogerty" act is really wearing thin with me. Wrote A Song For Everyone is pretty bad in and of itself, I mean did we need to hear Keith Urban, Kid Rock or even MMJ dueting with Fogerty on classic Creedence? I don't think so. Even worse is his parading around jamming with absolutely everyone he can find including recently the disparate bands Widespread Panic and Mumford & Sons. It all seems like some sort of desperate effort to prove he belongs with the giants of classic Rock. Guess what John? I don't think you do. I can't put CCR in the same class as the Band, Byrds, Neil Young, Grateful Dead and other "roots" oriented bands from that era and I certainly can't put them in the class of the Rolling Stones, Beatles, Who, Led Zeppelin and others of the era when dinosaurs walked arenas through the haze of pot smoke and smoke machines. Instead I think their music fits more in the ranks of people like Steve Miller, Bob Seger, John Mellencamp and others of that slightly lesser tier. That's not a knock at all but Fogerty seems to think that his dotage should be spent trying to look younger (please, man lose the hair dye and stop the plastic surgery, seriously just stop) and to prove his relevance to every band's fan base. You wrote great songs and can still perform, that should be enough. Trust me nobody that loves music will ever forget CCR. This shameless self promotion is embarrassing.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

bovine knievel

Re: John Fogerty

Post by bovine knievel »

geez, let the man jump the shark if he wants to. 8-)
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

bovine knievel wrote:geez, let the man jump the shark if he wants to. 8-)

I don't think he needs my permission. :lol: He's all dressed up in his Fonzie suit and has taken his show on the road. It just bugs me a bit is all.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

It's all good, TC. Blame Clams!

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

there is nothing wrong with tc...he is just old and possibly high.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

dime in the gutter wrote:there is nothing wrong with tc...he is just old and possibly high.

Old, affirmative. High? Nope.

But yes, I blame Clams. ;)

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Creedence Clearwater Revival > (The Band + Byrds + Neil Young + Grateful Dead) / 4 > John Fogerty
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I don't really have a problem with Fogerty (though what I've heard from that new album did nothing for me) but what did rub me the wrong way was when he refused to reunite with his bandmates when Creedence was inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame several years ago. If ever there was a time to set his differences aside, it was then. I know he's talked about reuniting with them in recent years but chances are, that'll never happen. I'm sure they felt shat upon.

As for Phil Collins syndrome, I think Dave Grohl is the one that's pretty much everywhere you turn these days. He seems to be a nice guy but the way he appears to be everywhere at once can be a little overwhelming, even annoying at times.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Tequila Cowboy wrote: but his "look at me I'm John fuckin' Fogerty" act is really wearing thin with me. Wrote A Song For Everyone is pretty bad in and of itself, I mean did we need to hear Keith Urban, Kid Rock or even MMJ dueting with Fogerty on classic Creedence? I don't think so.

Agree

Tequila Cowboy wrote: Instead I think their music fits more in the ranks of people like Steve Miller, Bob Seger, John Mellencamp and others of that slightly lesser tier.

C'mon TC. You got a little carried away right here. First, Miller, Seger, JCM, etc definitely are more than a slightly lesser tier than Neil, Band,etc. Lesser universe. Now I don't put anyone on a level with Neil, but for quality, influential music I think CCR does stand up with the greats. they just lacked the longevity. That was probably due in great part to the aspect of Fogerty we are bitchin about right now.
His solo output-meh.
CCR-top tier. Dammit

Clams

Post by Clams »

Add him to the incredibly long list of acts that were groundbreaking and incredibly good in the 70's but haven't done anything worthwhile since the 80's (Centerfield was his last good record). I don't mind him teaming up with losers like Kid Rock and Keith Urban because I won't be listening - I'd prefer to hear old cuts like Lodi, Ramble Tamble or Long as I Can See the Light. And while I'm at it - YES, I do find his hair color disturbing and off-putting.
If you don't run you rust

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hey TC I gave that new record a spin and it didn't really click with me either. The song that I liked the best (which honestly surprised the Hell out of me) was Wrote A Song For Everyone with Miranda Lambert. I don't like her music at all but I genuinely like this song.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Damn, TC, I think you're moving ahead in the curmudgeon race.

I'd be willing to wager that the reason Fogerty's doing what he's doing is a desperate attempt for money, not history. I don't know how much he has, I don't know how much he needs or wants, but i do know he got screwed out of plenty when the cash was pouring in. As we've discussed ad infinitum around here, musicians shouldn't have to starve so we can preserve our musical purity.

As 4sooner and a couple of others have said, you've got CCR way in the wrong place. They are among the giants of American rock bands. Fogerty's solo career has had its moments but I'll agree that it's been more down than up. But CCR? Assuming that the top tier is Dylan, Hendrix and The Beach Boys and leaving out the soul/r&b side of things, they're right below, maybe even w/ a bullet.

But yeah, the duets album is only slightly above the level of serious suckitude and then only because of the quality of the songs themselves. UGH!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Damn, TC, I think you're moving ahead in the curmudgeon race.

The wife is out of town and there are no whippersnappers to yell at on the lawn so my curmudgeonly behavior is completely unchecked and out for display on the internets.

beantownbubba wrote:I'd be willing to wager that the reason Fogerty's doing what he's doing is a desperate attempt for money, not history. I don't know how much he has, I don't know how much he needs or wants, but i do know he got screwed out of plenty when the cash was pouring in. As we've discussed ad infinitum around here, musicians shouldn't have to starve so we can preserve our musical purity.

Oh he ain't starving. When Fantasy Records was purchased some years ago the company began paying Fogerty royalties again, something he hadn't seen since the seventies. On top of that they signed him to a new deal and paid him all twenty five years of back royalties. That made Johnny a very rich man indeed. How many times have you heard CCR songs in commercials?

beantownbubba wrote:As 4sooner and a couple of others have said, you've got CCR way in the wrong place. They are among the giants of American rock bands. Fogerty's solo career has had its moments but I'll agree that it's been more down than up. But CCR? Assuming that the top tier is Dylan, Hendrix and The Beach Boys and leaving out the soul/r&b side of things, they're right below, maybe even w/ a bullet.

But yeah, the duets album is only slightly above the level of serious suckitude and then only because of the quality of the songs themselves. UGH!

Sorry, I don't think he belongs in that upper level. Maybe I'm being harsh to drop him in with Seger and Miller, but I'm having trouble with an artist in between the two levels. Paul Simon (with or without Garfunkel) maybe? Certainly nowhere near Dylan and the ilk I can't quite put the Beach Boys there either but surely we must have covered that ground before, no?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yes re the Beach Boys.

Simon's a very good comparable.

RMD

Post by RMD »

I agree, he annoys me. But then again he always has, I can't stand CCR at all, never could.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

That new tribute/collab album of his is the worst thing I've heard all year, maybe ever. He sounds like a deranged leprechaun on half the songs, totally out of place. When he comes in on Fortunate Son, I just burst out laughing.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Duke Silver wrote:That new tribute/collab album of his is the worst thing I've heard all year, maybe ever. He sounds like a deranged leprechaun on half the songs, totally out of place. When he comes in on Fortunate Son, I just burst out laughing.

:lol:

Deranged Leprechaun would be a great band name!

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Willie Nelson is gonna be pissed that Fogerty is honing in on his turf. Willie's got the market cornered on collaborating with no-talent Nashville hacks. Browsing through the new album releases for this week and saw that Willie is on some dude named Billy Currington's album. At this point, I'm thinking I could go to Nashville and cut an album, and as long as I could pay Willie enough, he'd contribute something to it.

Kudzu Guillotine

What the new Fogerty album reminds me of is Carlos Santana's duets albums. That's a formula that's worked out very well for him (and actually predates Supernatural) which he reminds us of nearly every time he releases a new record.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:What the new Fogerty album reminds me of is Carlos Santana's duets albums. That's a formula that's worked out very well for him (and actually predates Supernatural) which he reminds us of nearly every time he releases a new record.

Except Supernatural was good.

Kudzu Guillotine

beantownbubba wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:What the new Fogerty album reminds me of is Carlos Santana's duets albums. That's a formula that's worked out very well for him (and actually predates Supernatural) which he reminds us of nearly every time he releases a new record.

Except Supernatural was good.

I never could get past the "Smooth" song (which I heard to death that year) though I'm sure I heard some other stuff from it since it was all over the radio.

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Without bringing out my arguments of where I would put CCR all time, this is one of the best things that has ever been typed on 3DD...

Tequila Cowboy wrote:The wife is out of town and there are no whippersnappers to yell at on the lawn so my curmudgeonly behavior is completely unchecked and out for display on the internets.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

rlipps wrote:Willie Nelson is gonna be pissed that Fogerty is honing in on his turf.

Fogerty is playing FarmAid this year.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I don't really have a problem with Fogerty (though what I've heard from that new album did nothing for me) but what did rub me the wrong way was when he refused to reunite with his bandmates when Creedence was inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame several years ago. If ever there was a time to set his differences aside, it was then. I know he's talked about reuniting with them in recent years but chances are, that'll never happen. I'm sure they felt shat upon.

As for Phil Collins syndrome, I think Dave Grohl is the one that's pretty much everywhere you turn these days. He seems to be a nice guy but the way he appears to be everywhere at once can be a little overwhelming, even annoying at times.

Disagree. I think that DG is first and foremost a music fan, and I think he would tell you that he is literally living the dream. So darn skippy he is like a puppydog doing that stuff. I think anyone who has seen SOUND CITY will agree.

I also really quite like the PROBOT record thogh the standout track for me is the Lemmy one "Move your blood"
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Steve French wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I don't really have a problem with Fogerty (though what I've heard from that new album did nothing for me) but what did rub me the wrong way was when he refused to reunite with his bandmates when Creedence was inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame several years ago. If ever there was a time to set his differences aside, it was then. I know he's talked about reuniting with them in recent years but chances are, that'll never happen. I'm sure they felt shat upon.

Disagree. I think that DG is first and foremost a music fan, and I think he would tell you that he is literally living the dream. So darn skippy he is like a puppydog doing that stuff. I think anyone who has seen SOUND CITY will agree.

I also really quite like the PROBOT record thogh the standout track for me is the Lemmy one "Move your blood"

Dave Grohl seems about as 'real' as they come.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Shitting on recent Fogerty output is shooting fish in a barrel. However, CCR is one of, if not the best, American rock bands of all time. This thread is just plain silly.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

Steve French wrote:

I loved Sound City, it was clearly a labor of love for Grohl but the way that he's everywhere these days it's like he's the only one still making rock n' roll. That's not a slight against him but it's definitely the impression I have of him lately. I'm sure that's no fault of his own, it's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

im a huge dave grohl fan, but i kinda agree that hes everywhere these days and it isnt necessarily a good thing. however, i think he is a music buff at heart, so i cant blame him at all for saying yes to every collab/jam opportunity presented to him. i think he does it all more for the giddy thrill of meeting/playing with childhood heroes than for the publicity

as for fogerty, i couldnt care less what hes doing nowadays, creedence is easily one of americas finest rock bands, and definitely up there with the beatles/stones/whoever of their time. great fucking band.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Willie Nelson's always duetted indiscriminately. CCR belong in the same pantheon as The Band or whoever.
So does Willie.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Shakespeare wrote:im a huge dave grohl fan, but i kinda agree that hes everywhere these days and it isnt necessarily a good thing. however, i think he is a music buff at heart, so i cant blame him at all for saying yes to every collab/jam opportunity presented to him. i think he does it all more for the giddy thrill of meeting/playing with childhood heroes than for the publicity

I not really blaming Grohl either. Maybe I wasn't clear enough (one reason I hate the innerwebs when it comes to communicating) but the music media is perhaps too lazy as they make it out like he's only person left on the planet that's representative of modern rock n' roll. Dave did the keynote speech at SXSW this year and inducted Rush into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. There's nothing at all the matter with either of those two things but it's sort of like how Sheryl Crow has ended up on nearly ever tribute album known to man in the past ten years as though she's the only female vocalist left out there. Again, I'm not placing the blame on her but someone's not doing their homework if they can't look any further than her when it comes to female vocalists. The same logic applies to Grohl. I have nothing against him but the dude is everywhere you turn these days.