This Thread Has Very Little To Do With John Fogerty

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: This Thread Has Very Little To Do With John Fogerty

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

tinnitus photography wrote:this post belonged on pg 2 or 3, but i wanna get in on the action...

top 5 most influential US bands of all time

- Velvet Underground
- Stooges
- Metallica
- Sonic Youth
- Byrds (possibly The Dead or The Airplane, as well)

Ramones was a tough omission.

Solid list although I'd have a tough time leaving NY & Crazy Horse off, or is Neil disqualified for being a Canadian?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

lotusamerica wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
- I sure am guilty of the of hyperbole that I think you fell victim to here. I've been there before and as I said I want to be more careful about it in the future. I just think we all have to be careful of opinions we present as facts. lotusamerica's post last week that called both of us out on this has weighed heavily on me ever since. It's fine, just something to think about.

Oh, please don't let anything I ever say on here weigh heavily - it's usually just a passing thought on my end, often phrased however my mood is at the moment.

Well, perhaps other than this: If we don't find some time at one of the shows to have a good margarita together, I may go on to the end of my days drinking Jose Cuervo and that green mixer stuff, possibly even in frozen blender style. Now there's something you should perhaps let weigh heavily on you if you care for me at all, or even just take a simple interest in the well-being of humanity.

If you're at homecoming I promise tequila. Jonicont is always up for tequila as well.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:this post belonged on pg 2 or 3, but i wanna get in on the action...

- Velvet Underground
- Stooges
- Metallica
- Sonic Youth

Solid list although I'd have a tough time leaving NY & Crazy Horse off, or is Neil disqualified for being a Canadian?

my arbitrary criteria was 'bands,' not solo visionary and whoever he's got playing w/ him. one could argue that Petty and Springsteen have had long-running bands behind them w/ little change, whereas Dylan and Young aren't that way at all. but i don't think there's anything particularly influential about Springsteen or Petty, at least as compared to the ones I mentioned.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Fair point. I was just really thinking how influential that fuzzy noise of Crazy Horse has been on everything from post punk to Grunge. Neil himself would be a different category of influence altogether.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

lotusamerica wrote:
Well, perhaps other than this: If we don't find some time at one of the shows to have a good margarita together, I may go on to the end of my days drinking Jose Cuervo and that green mixer stuff, possibly even in frozen blender style. Now there's something you should perhaps let weigh heavily on you if you care for me at all, or even just take a simple interest in the well-being of humanity.

Tequila egermency! Tequila egermency! Battle (mixing) stations everyone!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

- Velvet Underground
- Stooges
- Metallica
- Sonic Youth

Ummmm, yeah, I would think being Canadian would disqualify someone from being American.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Ummmm, yeah, I would think being Canadian would disqualify someone from being American.

Smart ass. I also seem to remember you being on the side of including The Band as an American band despite having a Canadian member, or do I misremember? ;)

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Ummmm, yeah, I would think being Canadian would disqualify someone from being American.

Smart ass. I also seem to remember you being on the side of including The Band as an American band despite having a Canadian member, or do I misremember? ;)

If a band has a Canadian member, it can still be an American band. If a musician has a Canadian member, he's a Canadian musician.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

If a band has a Canadian member, it can still be an American band. If a musician has a Canadian member, he's a Canadian musician.

In every discussion I've ever had with music nerds, including 3DD, the consensus has always been that The Band cannot be considered American. I would really prefer not to think about Canadians and their members.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I believe The Band were all Canadian except for Levon.
Beebs is not a ragey man

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Nicely done :)

And yes, for the record, the Band was 4/5 Canadian and is by vote, fiat, consensus, electoral college, royal decree and all other methodologies considered Canadian (despite my minority view on the subject).

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

They were. Beantown confused me. I blame Clams.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
sactochris wrote:I disagree with revmatt, if you don't know who Raymond Carver was, you can't be considered well read.

Indeed

One of my Dad's first jobs when we moved to Sacramento was tending bar at the place Carver drank at when he worked at Mercy Hospital.
Keep calm and have a cigar

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

sactochris wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
sactochris wrote:I disagree with revmatt, if you don't know who Raymond Carver was, you can't be considered well read.

Indeed

One of my Dad's first jobs when we moved to Sacramento was tending bar at the place Carver drank at when he worked at Mercy Hospital.

It's very possible the bartenders there know more about Carver's work than most people who read him.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

sactochris wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Indeed

That's the shit! Did your Dad know Ray?

I didn't get to Syracuse until 1989. So I never saw Raymond Carver but I sure saw Tobias Wolff.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

My 5 favorite Creedence songs:

1. Lookin' Out My Back Door
2. Fortunate Son
3. Lodi
4. Someday Never Comes
5. Who'll Stop The Rain

that was tough.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

RevMatt wrote:
sactochris wrote:

That's the shit! Did your Dad know Ray?

I didn't get to Syracuse until 1989. So I never saw Raymond Carver but I sure saw Tobias Wolff.

We didn't move to Sacramento until 74, which was I believe a couple of years after Carver moved away. The bar was called The Fireside, and it stood until about ten years ago when they tore it down to build a Quizno's

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Slipkid42 wrote:My 5 favorite Creedence songs:

1. Lookin' Out My Back Door
2. Fortunate Son
3. Lodi
4. Someday Never Comes
5. Who'll Stop The Rain

that was tough.

Fortunate Son and Who'll Stop the Rain have to be on there. After that, danged if I know. I could go w/ Lodi, Proud Mary and Grapevine. Or not.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I believe the bar is mentioned in one of Carver's biographies. Love the story where Carver and Bukowski did a reading together and it turned into an epic bender.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

RevMatt wrote:I believe the bar is mentioned in one of Carver's biographies. Love the story where Carver and Bukowski did a reading together and it turned into an epic bender.

Who could have seen that one coming?

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

ramble tamble
sinister purpose
pagan baby
effigy
run through the jungle

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Pagan Baby
RambleTamble
Fortunate Son
Effigy
Hey Tonight

Clams

Post by Clams »

Long as I Can See the Light has the greatest sax solo in all of rock n roll.
If you don't run you rust

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Sweet Hitchhiker
Long As I Can See The Light (my favorite)
Wrote A Song For Everyone
Someday Never Comes
Up Around The Bend

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Clams wrote:Long as I Can See the Light has the greatest sax solo in all of rock n roll.

Yes, played by the same guy who wrote, sung, played guitar and produced the song.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Love Effigy

Love Uncle Tupelo's version even more
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:Long as I Can See the Light has the greatest sax solo in all of rock n roll.

I don't have a good mental checklist of the possible contenders but "Waitin' On a Friend" comes to mind.

Edited to correct the song title.
Last edited by beantownbubba on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

sactochris wrote:
RevMatt wrote:I believe the bar is mentioned in one of Carver's biographies. Love the story where Carver and Bukowski did a reading together and it turned into an epic bender.

Who could have seen that one coming?

Before Bukowski even arrived, Carver feared that he was getting more than he'd counted on... Bukowski was already drunk when Ray met him at the airport. At dinner he couldn't keep his hands off Maryann... Then Bukowski found he didn't have his poems with him, so Ray gave Bukowski a book that Myers had lent him. Ray was mortified as Buk performed as anticipated, swilling gin and abusing his audience. He felt responsible for whatever happened and "saw his credibility slipping with his superiors at the university with every insult Bukowski growled."

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:

I don't have a good mental checklist of the possible contenders but "Waitin' For a Friend" comes to mind.

Money? Us & Them?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

I don't have a good mental checklist of the possible contenders but "Waitin' For a Friend" comes to mind.

Money? Us & Them?