This Thread Has Very Little To Do With John Fogerty

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ramonz

Re: John Fogerty

Post by ramonz »

Shakespeare wrote:i dont think its farfetched to think dbt will be a ramones/big star/velvet underground/whoever kinda band that goes on to influence an entire scene of younger bands, i just think its absurd to put them as a top legacy band right now. theyre obviously a well respected band, but who have they really influenced and/or what impact have they really had on the music industry? maybe im just not seeing it. to me theyre currently a small notch above a cult band. a very good one, but seeing them listed with bands whose legacies are obvious like ccr or the band is weird to me. maybe its just too soon, idk

theyd make my personal top 10 for sure, but not if im objectively looking at the entire spectrum of american bands

Back after being out of town for a while.

Had a big buzz when I made those lists, and didn't see that we were doing just American bands, but I do still believe that DBT will leave a legacy that rivals many on the lists we've made. Obviously I could be wrong, and rock and roll is littered w/ fairly well established acts that never broke through in a huge way, but eventually "mainstream" will pick up on what these guys are dialed into. It may be after the band has called it a day (hopefully not), but I think it will happen. And that's not being fanboy, just a humble opinion from a guy with a decent antenna.

I would agree with you that to say they are a Top 10 legacy band right now is silly.

Markalanbishop

Re: This Thread Has Very Little To Do With John Fogerty

Post by Markalanbishop »

RolanK wrote:You're all fortetting Spinal Tap. Most influental Metal band!

May I start by saying how thrilled we are to have you here. We are such fans of your music and all of your records. I'm not speaking of yours personally, but the whole genre of the rock and roll.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
ramonz wrote:Top 10 Legacy (all-time, still)
9. Peter Tosh

Having seen both Tosh and Marley live, I'm curious about your thinking here.

I'm not 100% sure what your question/statement is, but I think this one goes to how one defines legacy. Ive seen too many Marley documentaries that (and no, sadly I never saw either, but I'm not sure how that matters) almost completely wipe Tosh out of the picture - and that bugs me. The man was brilliant, played a huge role in the BMW early days, and wasn't afraid to get overtly political/radical - something that Bob only did after he'd made it and had something to fall back on.

Maybe I'm just trying to put Tosh in his rightful place, but of course, many more people know Marley's work, and because of that, he has influenced many more bands/fans.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Has it been decreed that we can no longer use this?

Best. Post. Ever.

If so I ain't sorry.

It has not. Keep using it often as it is customary here on 3DD.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

tinnitus photography wrote:i would much rather listen to Spinal Tap than Iron Maiden.

i play the soundtrack quite a bit actually

no shame

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

ramonz wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:
ramonz wrote:Top 10 Legacy (all-time, still)
9. Peter Tosh

Having seen both Tosh and Marley live, I'm curious about your thinking here.

I'm not 100% sure what your question/statement is, but I think this one goes to how one defines legacy. Ive seen too many Marley documentaries that (and no, sadly I never saw either, but I'm not sure how that matters) almost completely wipe Tosh out of the picture - and that bugs me. The man was brilliant, played a huge role in the BMW early days, and wasn't afraid to get overtly political/radical - something that Bob only did after he'd made it and had something to fall back on.

Maybe I'm just trying to put Tosh in his rightful place, but of course, many more people know Marley's work, and because of that, he has influenced many more bands/fans.

That's a fair view, in my opinion.

I dig Tosh a lot, don't get me wrong. What did sour me on him a little was seeing him live in 81 in the same hall as Marley two years earlier. The Marley show was a band performance; the Tosh show was a Tosh performance, and there was a little too much "I'm The Toughest" attitude in it.

Again, this is just a matter of taste.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I wasn’t sure where to put this, but I heard some Scorpions on FM radio in my truck. I was inspired and came home and listened to more. I haven’t listened to the Scorpions regularly since a friend made me a tape in high school (early mid 90’s probably).

Listen the the song “Always Somewhere”. The melody sounds so similar to Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man”. I’m not accusing anyone of stealing, but the sound is remarkably similar to me!
Slipkid42 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:25 pm
Bill in CT wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:Scorpions w/the Schenker bros. was real good. That was the 70's though. 80's Scorps were more generic, but when lookin' to fill a Best Hair bands of the 80's list, they actually figure in.
UFO with Michael Schenker on guitar was great in the 70s. I'm going to see them next month here in CT. Vinnie Moore is their lead guitarist now. He's also good but I wish I could see them once with Schenker.
I missed the Scorpions w/M. Schenker too. Saw them in '84 @ the Capitol Center, but that was in their No One Like You stage. I was 27 years old & I was among the oldest 5% of the crowd. Still, they had redeemable qualities.

U.F.O. was on another wavelength altogether. They were the bomb.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Animal Magnetism is a great fucking record
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

dime in the gutter wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:18 pm
there is nothing wrong with tc...he is just old and possibly high.
:lol:
If you don't run you rust

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Zip City wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:18 pm
Animal Magnetism is a great fucking record
Tokyo Tapes rocks pretty damn hard, tool.