AoTW - 9/2/13 - Allman Brothers Band

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

eatapch

Re: AoTW - 9/2/13 - Allman Brothers Band

Post by eatapch »

Here's a fantastic fan video - cartoon style - covering the whole history of the Allman Brothers. Dude said he spent about a year working on it, on and off. Every scene has some kind of Allman-centric meaning or significance.

http://youtu.be/NOtQGMZA9Nw
Last edited by eatapch on Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

That was great! Thanks for posting. It did cover all the mutations of the band & I esp. liked the Little Martha fadeaway.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

WARREN HAYNES AND DEREK TRUCKS LEAVING ALLMAN BROTHERS

Rick Diamond / Mark Metcalfe, Getty Images

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

I'm gutted over this, truly devastated.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

psychobillycadillac wrote:I'm gutted over this, truly devastated.

In some ways yes and some ways no. Maybe it's just time. Plus we'll get great music from Warren and Derek and maybe they'll get to enjoy a little downtime. I've had the opportunity to briefly meet each of those guys, and know people who know them, and those are good people right there. If this makes them happy more power to them. Still, I have to get to a show this year one last time.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

They're amazing players, but the ABB is amazing with or without them. Wish Dickey would get his shit together, but I think there's too much bad blood.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

psychobillycadillac

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
psychobillycadillac wrote:I'm gutted over this, truly devastated.

In some ways yes and some ways no. Maybe it's just time. Plus we'll get great music from Warren and Derek and maybe they'll get to enjoy a little downtime. I've had the opportunity to briefly meet each of those guys, and know people who know them, and those are good people right there. If this makes them happy more power to them. Still, I have to get to a show this year one last time.

I agree and I've been an ABB fan as long if not longer than I've been a Braves fan, the music of the ABB is among the very first that I can remember listening to growing up. As of this moment I've seen 48 shows and 49 will be this Friday at Gregg's benefit concert. Their music is associate with so many memories, I can't recall a road trip where Jessica wasn't played at some point, Little Martha was the processional song at my wedding for heavens sake! Their music has shaped my playing in so many ways that I hear them in my own music and even the way i play the music of other artists. I truly hope they find a way to carry on either w/ new members or mending fences with old members, but one thing is for certain and that is that they sound the best right now that they have sounded in at least the last 20 years. To lose the sound they have now is going to be a travesty :cry:

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

As Kelvin Holly said, it's kinda fucked up Scott Boyer wasn't invited to Gregg's "All My Friends" concert since he wrote the song that gives the show it's namesake. Not necessarily Gregg's fault, though.

psychobillycadillac

Smitty wrote:They're amazing players, but the ABB is amazing with or without them. Wish Dickey would get his shit together, but I think there's too much bad blood.

There's a lot of talk about who may step in to fill the empty rolls, Luther from NMAS is a top vote though I don't see this happening since he is devoting so much energy to NMAS at this time. Jimmy Herring is another but I don't see him quiting WSP to step back into that role, though I could see him filling in temporarilly. I'd like to see Dickey step back in but frankly I think the bridge has been too badly burned to find a way back across that river and frankly his playing isn't up to the level that it used to be. I think the fans would eventually rip him apart once the honeymoon of being back in the band was over.
My own personal thought on it, I see Gregg's son Devon as stepping into one of the roles. Both of them have been touring lately and seem to be having a lot of fun playing together and Devon is an up and coming player who can play the music well, after all his last name is Allman. After that I'd like to see Dickey's son Duane be given a shot.
At the end of the day no one is Derek Trucks and no one is Warren Haynes, these guys are guitar GIANTS. But the same thing can be said for Duane Allman and Dickey Betts, fans have doubted in some way every person that has come after these guys in some way and standing on that stage and playing their music in their spots is breathing some really rare air. I'm going to miss Warren and Derek and I don't know if the band will carry on after this, but their music will and that makes me smile.

psychobillycadillac

Smitty wrote:As Kelvin Holly said, it's kinda fucked up Scott Boyer wasn't invited to Gregg's "All My Friends" concert since he wrote the song that gives the show it's namesake. Not necessarily Gregg's fault, though.

Yeah i agree with that as well, according to Keith Wortman it looks like they had 40 people intersted in doing the show but scheduling kept most from being able to do so. http://www.accessatlanta.com/weblogs/at ... bute-show/

Kudzu Guillotine

Following his most recent surgery, Gregg talked about doing fewer and fewer shows with the ABB each year with the intent of eventually winding the band down altogether. I could very well see the departure of Warren and Derek helping to expedite that. Then again, the Allmans are roaddogs that have been at it for forever and a day and may not be able to let it go so easily. That said, those are some awful big shoes to fill.

Kudzu Guillotine

This is just Derek's side of it, I'm not sure how the remaining members of the ABB would feel about it.

Derek Trucks on a Potential Dickey Betts Reunion with the Allman Brothers

Photo by Dino Perrucci

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

psychobillycadillac wrote:At the end of the day no one is Derek Trucks and no one is Warren Haynes, these guys are guitar GIANTS. But the same thing can be said for Duane Allman and Dickey Betts

Very good point. I just heard this morning and I'm taking it like you would a death in the family.

I am SO glad I went to see two nights at The Beacon last year.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

psychobillycadillac

Rocky wrote:
psychobillycadillac wrote:At the end of the day no one is Derek Trucks and no one is Warren Haynes, these guys are guitar GIANTS. But the same thing can be said for Duane Allman and Dickey Betts

Very good point. I just heard this morning and I'm taking it like you would a death in the family.

A thought came to me this morning on my drive in to work. The announcement says that Derek and Warren are leaving at the end of 2014, well Warren Hayne's Christmas Jam is pretty much the last big show of the year shy of any NYE shows...... I'm thinking I'm going to be in Asheville next December for the Brothers going away party :cry:

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

It's interesting in that there was a story just last week that Oteil (bass) had left the band to join the Zac Brown Band. This supposedly came from Gregg in talking to Rolling Stone. Butch Trucks then put the kibosh on the story and said Oteil is still part of the band. And now this announcement. Kind of strange.

My biggest gripe with this current lineup is the lack of new material. To have only put out one album (which is fantastic) in the time they've been together is a shame. Maybe that has something to do with Derek & Warren leaving? When I check their setlists it just seems to be more & more covers.

I haven't seen them live in 10 yrs, but listen to shows from each tour. The boys still bring it every night. Sad to see it come to an end.

Kudzu Guillotine

Given to Fly wrote:It's interesting in that there was a story just last week that Oteil (bass) had left the band to join the Zac Brown Band. This supposedly came from Gregg in talking to Rolling Stone. Butch Trucks then put the kibosh on the story and said Oteil is still part of the band. And now this announcement. Kind of strange.

My biggest gripe with this current lineup is the lack of new material. To have only put out one album (which is fantastic) in the time they've been together is a shame. Maybe that has something to do with Derek & Warren leaving? When I check their setlists it just seems to be more & more covers.

I haven't seen them live in 10 yrs, but listen to shows from each tour. The boys still bring it every night. Sad to see it come to an end.

A few years ago Gregg announced they would no longer be performing or recording new material. In fact, like the Grateful Dead, they would go for long stretches without committing any new material to albums as they were essentially live bands. Even though I'm a big ABB fan, I've only seen them in concert something like four times over the years (they were my first big show back in '75). The last time I saw them was just a few years ago when they played on a bill here with the Truckers and JJ Grey and Mofro. To my ears though sounded like a new band with Derek. I'd seen him sit in with them once before in the early 90's (last show I saw with Dickey) but had never seen them since he'd become a full time member.

psychobillycadillac

BTW anyone from here headed down to the Fox Theatre if a few hours for the Gregg tribute concert?

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Rocky wrote:

It is very sad news. I will have to make it down to Wannee in April.

Kudzu Guillotine

psychobillycadillac

The show was great, two songs by te ABB just wasnt' enough, even if they were Dreams and Whipping Post. I'm likely in the minority w/ this opinio but I just don't understand why and how the younger Nashville guys like Eric Church and Brantley Gilbert get on the bill for these things. Gilbert obviously didn't know the song he performed very well as he spent the entire performance staring straight at the teleprompter. Eric Church who was equally awful at the Love for Levon tribute show was slightly better but still just didn't do either song justice. Trace Adkins was one of the suprises of the night and did a great job with I'm no Angel, which is one of Gregg's songs that I've just never been much of a fan of. Sam Moore, Taj Mahal, Dr. John, all great and Chuck Leveall was flat out incredible all night. Widespread Panic was good but I think the song selection they were given was a little off for them and they could have done different songs better justice, i would have loved to have heard there take on something like Mt Jam or Hotlanta. The last song of the night featured everyone on stage at once, May the Circle be Unbroken and was absoutely wonderful. I'm really hoping that they play more shows than what they currently have on their schedule and at some point along the way they mend fences with Dickey and we can once again see him on stage with the boys.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Brantley Gilbert makes Garth seem like Hank, and although Eric Church is almost tolerable compared to most of the new guard, he's pretty effin' terrible too. I can't stand Trace Adkins' songs, but atleast he does seem somewhat connected to actual country music, even if his marketer/song chooser fucking sucks. It says something that if he were a new artist in Nashville today, he wouldn't even have a chance. I do believe he has more in common with Gregg's "I'm No Angel" than anything Hank or Merle ever done though.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

So I'm talking with my friend John Lyndon, Twiggs' brother, last night over in Athens and he tells me about meeting Patterson recently and Patterson tells John about his Dad producing an album by a band called Smith Perkins and Smith in 1972 that had a song called "Save Me" on it about Twiggs killing a club owner in Buffalo and the aftermath of that. John was astonished that neither he, his brother, his family, or anyone else associated with the ABB knew about the song. Well worth googling--Mr. Perkins is the real fucking deal. Here's the song.

http://youtu.be/ujngFhZpiRk
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Hud

Post by Hud »

Smitty wrote:They're amazing players, but the ABB is amazing with or without them. Wish Dickey would get his shit together, but I think there's too much bad blood.

Got to disagree with this, you couldn't give me a ticket to see ABB without Warren and Derek. I consider them to be the best touring band out there now and will see as many shows this year as possible.
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

psychobillycadillac

Hud wrote:

Got to disagree with this, you couldn't give me a ticket to see ABB without Warren and Derek. I consider them to be the best touring band out there now and will see as many shows this year as possible.

This has been a tough debate over on Hittin The Note forum with lots of good points being made for why they should hang it up and why they should carry on. I'm 36 and I've heard arguements about why the band is going to fail every time a member has been replaced, when Woody and Warren left everyone thought that the band was done. Then when Dickey was fired everyone thought they were done, when Derek was added people called them a circus act parading a flash in the pan kid up to draw numbers and also said then that the band was done. One thing I can say regardless of the lineup the band carries on. I'll be interested to see which direction they head in after this year and hope for the best but I can tell you regardless of what they decide to do I'll be there to see my most beloved band play their music because I'm a fan and that's what fans do. :D

Hud

Post by Hud »

psychobillycadillac wrote:
Hud wrote:

This has been a tough debate over on Hittin The Note forum with lots of good points being made for why they should hang it up and why they should carry on. I'm 36 and I've heard arguements about why the band is going to fail every time a member has been replaced, when Woody and Warren left everyone thought that the band was done. Then when Dickey was fired everyone thought they were done, when Derek was added people called them a circus act parading a flash in the pan kid up to draw numbers and also said then that the band was done. One thing I can say regardless of the lineup the band carries on. I'll be interested to see which direction they head in after this year and hope for the best but I can tell you regardless of what they decide to do I'll be there to see my most beloved band play their music because I'm a fan and that's what fans do. :D

Very good point, I shouldn't be so opinionated about something that hasn't happened yet. It comes from being disappointed at ABB shows before Derek and Warren. And being so blown away with the playing of these 2 together at this point. A different line up has the potential to be different and just as good or better.
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

ABB has probably had more transformations than any band. It will be hard to replace Warren & Derek, though. Maybe the road doesn't go on forever.

Must see them before their run is over. Not sure if I can swing Wanee (since I'm already missing work for Asheville & Athens); but I almost have to. 3/7 & 3/8 @ the Beacon could be a possibility too.

Kudzu Guillotine

Allman Brothers Band Calling it Quits

Gregg Allman lovingly pets his dog, Otis, named
after blues master Otis Rush (or Otis Spann)

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Can't say I'm shocked. I can say my soul is crushed but I can't say I'm surprised.

That's why you should consider this. I'm in.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

You can listen to "Revival" from the upcoming live album here:

http://alanpaul.net/2014/02/special-pre ... all-night/