Interlocken Music Festival, Sept 5-8

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ramonz

Interlocken Music Festival, Sept 5-8

Post by ramonz »

Time for its own thread.

Who's in? Sounds like TC, Bill in CT, Rocky....who else? I was worried when Neil cancelled all the late August European dates b/c of Poncho's hand, but it sounds like Interlocken is all good. Peggy (Neil's wife) is playing at The Jefferson Theater with Keller Williams the WED night before...just announced today....so all sounds locked and loaded! This should be epic.

Neil Young and Crazy Horse
Furthur
Widespread Panic
Gov't Mule
String Cheese Incident
Black Crowes
John Fogerty
Jimmy Cliff
Keller Williams
Zac Brown
Tedeschi Trucks
etc.

Athens Joe

Re: Interlocken Music Festival, Sept 5-8

Post by Athens Joe »

I'm in for this. I still can't believe Saturday's lineup. Inexcusably, it'll be my first Neil show. It's my first time seeing John Fogerty too. That's quite an interesting collaboration there with WP and him. Any guesses what that setlist will consist of?

For the camping fest vets out there, how tight are the powers that be about enforcing what you can't bring to the campsites? The website says that charcoal isn't allowed. I get it, but that just ain't right. I was looking forward to some ribs on the farm.

Van

Post by Van »

I am in! See you in Athens Joe!

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks as though NY and Crazy Horse has cancelled all remaining North American Tour Dates including 9/7.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Shit, you're right! http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/neil-young-and-crazy-horse-cancel-four-city-north-american-tour-20130819 Very bummed.

EDIT: Wow, they're in serious scramble mode now. It’s now called Lock’n Festival and the original facebook page is gone. Guess it's all about letting the old LLC die and get sued, while they (I guess) try to bring in another headliner? Crazy shit.

NY&CH cannot be replaced, obviously. DMB is an obvious scramble replacement, because of VA connection, but they're in NV and CA 9/4 - 9/8. Phish's tour doesn't start until October, but they would certainly sell tickets to that crowd. Red Light is getting lots of calls I bet! While they're at it, let's get us some DBT!

Athens Joe

Post by Athens Joe »

Damn the luck. At least DMB is already booked that week. The Allman Brothers are already booked too unfortunately. One good replacement would be Stevie Wonder but that's a long shot. Hopefully they don't go the electronic route.

Oh well, DBT is this weekend.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Cubfan06 wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks as though NY and Crazy Horse has cancelled all remaining North American Tour Dates including 9/7.

Only way this isn't a bullshit call by Neil Young is if Crazy Horse has already played their last show. If DBT can play a weekend without Patterson in DC and rock it all to hell, Neil could surely get by without Poncho for a night. It's one thing to cancel a gig or a few on your own tour, but not a festival that you're headlining.

vacant

Post by vacant »

Only way this isn't a bullshit call by Neil Young is if Crazy Horse has already played their last show. If DBT can play a weekend without Patterson in DC and rock it all to hell, Neil could surely get by without Poncho for a night. It's one thing to cancel a gig or a few on your own tour, but not a festival that you're headlining.

A good part of those European shows were festivals too. At the end of the day, why would Neil feel this show is any different than another gig?

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Athens Joe wrote:Damn the luck. At least DMB is already booked that week. The Allman Brothers are already booked too unfortunately. One good replacement would be Stevie Wonder but that's a long shot. Hopefully they don't go the electronic route.

Oh well, DBT is this weekend.

First of all fuck that hurts. I have seen Uncle Neil and Crazy Horse before but...damn.
I checked - ABB is free on Sunday. Cross your fingers.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

vacant wrote:

A good part of those European shows were festivals too. At the end of the day, why would Neil feel this show is any different than another gig?

I don't think he was the primary draw for the European festivals, although perhaps I am wrong on that. Cancelling the Ottawa (CAN) festival is bad, too. But the Interlocken/Lock'n Festival is new and built its business model to a large degree on his commitment to headline and I'm sure he takes it seriously and all, but I think it's a weak move. They'll still do okay with all of the people who want to go hear Further, I imagine, but talk about driving a stake through the heart. Makes me disappointed more than angry I guess.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

lotusamerica wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks as though NY and Crazy Horse has cancelled all remaining North American Tour Dates including 9/7.

This festival looks pretty monumental. I don't want to bad mouth Neil, because I don't know all of the details. But you would have thought that he could have assembled some other backing players. It's a legend I think in Pearl Jam folklore that Eddie was sick for Seattle show and Neil sat in for him. I would venture a guess that Pearl Jam would have paid that favor forward. And that would have been perfect in the spirit of this festival. And with their many Neil covers over the years, you can't tell me that the guys from Widespread Panic wouldn't have jumped at the chance to back Neil either. And even if Neil wasn't comfortable with either of those scenarios, he could have played an acoustic/electric show similar to the Le Noise tour.
Everyone knows the Neil penned letter to Stills, "Isn't funny how some things that start so spontaneous end the same way." Neil is a stubborn dude, that when he's not feeling something at moment he doesn't do it at the drop of a hat.. Unfortunately this seems to signal the end of Crazy Horse.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Cubfan06 wrote:This festival looks pretty monumental. I don't want to bad mouth Neil, because I don't know all of the details. But you would have thought that he could have assembled some other backing players. It's a legend I think in Pearl Jam folklore that Eddie was sick for Seattle show and Neil sat in for him. I would venture a guess that Pearl Jam would have paid that favor forward. And that would have been perfect in the spirit of this festival.

I just checked Pearl Jam's North American tour doesn't start until 10/11. Hmmmmm.

vacant

Post by vacant »

Rocky wrote:Expand view Topic review: Interlocken Music Festival, Sept 5-8

Post by Rocky » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:16 am

Cubfan06 wrote:This festival looks pretty monumental. I don't want to bad mouth Neil, because I don't know all of the details. But you would have thought that he could have assembled some other backing players. It's a legend I think in Pearl Jam folklore that Eddie was sick for Seattle show and Neil sat in for him. I would venture a guess that Pearl Jam would have paid that favor forward. And that would have been perfect in the spirit of this festival.

I just checked Pearl Jam's North American tour doesn't start until 10/11. Hmmmmm.

That would be amazing, but Matt Cameron is touring Europe with Soundgarden during the first half of September. No PJ shows without a drummer.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Cubfan06 wrote:I don't want to bad mouth Neil, because I don't know all of the details. But you would have thought that he could have assembled some other backing players. It's a legend I think in Pearl Jam folklore that Eddie was sick for Seattle show and Neil sat in for him. I would venture a guess that Pearl Jam would have paid that favor forward. And that would have been perfect in the spirit of this festival. And with their many Neil covers over the years, you can't tell me that the guys from Widespread Panic wouldn't have jumped at the chance to back Neil either. And even if Neil wasn't comfortable with either of those scenarios, he could have played an acoustic/electric show similar to the Le Noise tour.
Everyone knows the Neil penned letter to Stills, "Isn't funny how some things that start so spontaneous end the same way." Neil is a stubborn dude, that when he's not feeling something at moment he doesn't do it at the drop of a hat.. Unfortunately this seems to signal the end of Crazy Horse.

Exactly how I feel, in every way. The words "I don't want to disappoint anyone" have likely never been uttered by Neil. And it's part of what's made him exciting and new (props to Love Boat) for all these years. Hard to argue with that. But with all the possibilities mentioned, and others, it does seem like something could have been done to not crush this inaugural festival - especially after the organizers have been so effusive in their praise of Neil since the very beginning. Clearly big fans to the core.

I'm still excited to go, for sure - and hope they have some worthy new additions - but it does hurt to be burned by Neil being Neil. He was the big draw for me.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

ramonz wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:I don't want to bad mouth Neil, because I don't know all of the details. But you would have thought that he could have assembled some other backing players. It's a legend I think in Pearl Jam folklore that Eddie was sick for Seattle show and Neil sat in for him. I would venture a guess that Pearl Jam would have paid that favor forward. And that would have been perfect in the spirit of this festival. And with their many Neil covers over the years, you can't tell me that the guys from Widespread Panic wouldn't have jumped at the chance to back Neil either. And even if Neil wasn't comfortable with either of those scenarios, he could have played an acoustic/electric show similar to the Le Noise tour.

Exactly how I feel, in every way. The words "I don't want to disappoint anyone" have likely never been uttered by Neil. And it's part of what's made him exciting and new (props to Love Boat) for all these years. Hard to argue with that. But with all the possibilities mentioned, and others, it does seem like something could have been done to not crush this inaugural festival - especially after the organizers have been so effusive in their praise of Neil since the very beginning. Clearly big fans to the core.

I'm still excited to go, for sure - and hope they have some worthy new additions - but it does hurt to be burned by Neil being Neil. He was the big draw for me.

Ah yeah, I was just spouting off a bit. I like Neil Young and there's actually something really respectful about not doing a Crazy Horse show without Poncho, but I'd would've like to see some of that old hippie spirit to come forward and work something out and who knows, if Pegi is still playing, might he join her onstage? Speaking of which, I don't really follow her so didn't realize Spooner is playing the keys with her, so that's pretty cool.

But I also hadn't watched the developments that closely and didn't realize until I saw the Neil thing that John Fogerty isn't actually playing a solo set, but just sitting in with Panic? So if that's the case, for me, "Lock'n" minus Neil and Crazy Horse minus Fogerty (at least from my expectations) plus no single day tickets plus a bunch of bands that I like, but that I can see other times in settings I personally like better than a large festival setting = I'm sitting this one out in all likelihood.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

lotusamerica wrote:
ramonz wrote:

Ah yeah, I was just spouting off a bit. I like Neil Young and there's actually something really respectful about not doing a Crazy Horse show without Poncho, but I'd would've like to see some of that old hippie spirit to come forward and work something out and who knows, if Pegi is still playing, might he join her onstage? Speaking of which, I don't really follow her so didn't realize Spooner is playing the keys with her, so that's pretty cool.

But I also hadn't watched the developments that closely and didn't realize until I saw the Neil thing that John Fogerty isn't actually playing a solo set, but just sitting in with Panic? So if that's the case, for me, "Lock'n" minus Neil and Crazy Horse minus Fogerty (at least from my expectations) plus no single day tickets plus a bunch of bands that I like, but that I can see other times in settings I personally like better than a large festival setting = I'm sitting this one out in all likelihood.

I'm under the impression that John Fogerty is going to be fronting and playing with WSP for their whole set. I read in a Rolling Stone article that the event organizers are personally flying him in for the show. That will be pretty damn monumental if that was case. If I lived closer, I'd still do this fest in a heartbeat.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

John Fogerty backed by Widespread Panic is a negative? Too each his own.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Rocky wrote:John Fogerty backed by Widespread Panic is a negative? Too each his own.

I didn't say that it was a negative at all. I think that would be mind-blowing. As much as I love NY and Crazy Horse, The Dead, and most any artist on that list, Widespread Fogerty would have been the set I would have been most excited to see.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Cubfan06 wrote:
lotusamerica wrote:

This festival looks pretty monumental. I don't want to bad mouth Neil, because I don't know all of the details. But you would have thought that he could have assembled some other backing players. It's a legend I think in Pearl Jam folklore that Eddie was sick for Seattle show and Neil sat in for him. I would venture a guess that Pearl Jam would have paid that favor forward. And that would have been perfect in the spirit of this festival. And with their many Neil covers over the years, you can't tell me that the guys from Widespread Panic wouldn't have jumped at the chance to back Neil either. And even if Neil wasn't comfortable with either of those scenarios, he could have played an acoustic/electric show similar to the Le Noise tour.

It was San Francisco and not Seattle.

I don't know why this would signal the end of Crazy Horse. Because they canceled 4 shows the band is broken up? I don't think so.

I wish that Neil had gotten Nils Lofgren or Ian McNabb or Mike McCready to sit in for Poncho for these shows. Then again, if McCready or Gossard broke his hand, I think Pearl Jam would cancel and not bring in another guitarist.

I'm still going (in fact the tickets just arrived) and am still looking forward to the festival.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Ian McNabb from Icicle Works?

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Ian McNabb from Icicle Works?

Yes. He's performed with Poncho, Billy, and Ralph as his backing band before.
He was supposed to be the opener for the Neil Young & CH show in Liverpool, England this month.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

For those of you going Trey Anastasio is the replacement for Neil.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Haven't heard it officially announced yet, but the site (http://www.locknfestival.com/) shows "TREY ANASTASIO BAND" for Saturday night. Good first move, now what else ya got?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:For those of you going Trey Anastasio is the replacement for Neil.

I don't have a chicken in this fight, but...
:?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

....Jorma Kaukonen (yes!) added, as well as old school C'ville classics Indesision. Nice

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

ramonz wrote:....Jorma Kaukonen (yes!) added, as well as old school C'ville classics Indesision. Nice

I saw them many years ago at the Attic in Greenville, NC.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Rocky wrote:John Fogerty backed by Widespread Panic is a negative? Too each his own.

The site says Widespread Panic with Fogerty sitting in. Sorry, but that is very different than Fogerty backed by Panic, to me at least, especially if I have to pay for four days to see one. So anyone know, which is it? This isn't a hypothetical issue to me. I'd love to see Fogerty have Panic back him, but am not traveling and paying that ticket charge to see Fogerty play Panic songs. If it's 50/50, then I'll stay ambivalent until the day comes and make a call.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

lotusamerica wrote:

The site says Widespread Panic with Fogerty sitting in. Sorry, but that is very different than Fogerty backed by Panic, to me at least, especially if I have to pay for four days to see one. So anyone know, which is it? This isn't a hypothetical issue to me. I'd love to see Fogerty have Panic back him, but am not traveling and paying that ticket charge to see Fogerty play Panic songs. If it's 50/50, then I'll stay ambivalent until the day comes and make a call.

I agree the wording is ambiguous but I can't imagine they would bring in John Fogerty to play rhythm guitar on Blight, Fishwater and Can't Get High. I'm pretty sure the plan is to have Fogerty come in and play a set of CCR songs with Panic as his backing band. This is not from an official site but.....

Widespread Panic will perform on two of the four nights, with one set featuring a collaboration with John Fogerty performing classic songs from Creedence Clearwater Revival. A-fucking-men to that!

http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainme ... e/10565529

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

I am a Phish fan. I have seen them over 50 times. The bulk of those times being between '96- 2000. I can understand the Trey Anastasio Band being an underwhelming replacement for some. You won't be disappointed with his band live though. They bring a very energetic live show with horns. As a big Neil Young fan, I would anticipate that they'd bust out a few NY and Crazy Horse tunes as well.
I think that this could also set up some great Trey Anastasio collaborations with some of the other artists. Trey with Further. Trey potentially with Panic. (Fixin' To Die, perhaps). Whether you like Phish's music or not, Trey is an incredible guitarist. And you don't necessarily need to like Phish's music, to appreciate and enjoy his solo band. While they will likely play some of the Farmhouse era Phish tunes such as Gotta Jibboo, Sand, and First Tube they are a completely different animal. And those songs debuted and were written with the core of his solo band. And they'll throw in some tasteful covers such as Sultans of Swing, Black Dog, and the Gorillaz Clint Eastwood. They're pretty fun.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Rocky wrote:
lotusamerica wrote:

I agree the wording is ambiguous but I can't imagine they would bring in John Fogerty to play rhythm guitar on Blight, Fishwater and Can't Get High. I'm pretty sure the plan is to have Fogerty come in and play a set of CCR songs with Panic as his backing band. This is not from an official site but.....

Widespread Panic will perform on two of the four nights, with one set featuring a collaboration with John Fogerty performing classic songs from Creedence Clearwater Revival. A-fucking-men to that!

http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainme ... e/10565529

Thanks! I may make the trek yet...