AOTW - 7-29-13 - Blue Oyster Cult

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Slipkid42

AOTW - 7-29-13 - Blue Oyster Cult

Post by Slipkid42 »

Baltimore Civic Center November 17, 1974 Heavy Metal Sunday

The Civic Center was in a frenzy. Near-riot might be a more appropriate term. Blue Oyster Cult has just unleashed their 5-guitar attack on Baltimore & the natives were restlesss to say the least. BOC! BOC! BOC!, screamed umpteen thousand white punks on dope; to no avail. BOC never came back out & when the house lights came on, the frenzy hit a fever pitch. The rent-a-cops tried to gain control , but it quickly escalated beyond their flimsy grasp. BOC! BOC! BOC!, yelled a group of long-haired hooligans; as they ripped up a whole row of seats & threw them over the rail & down onto the rent-a-cops below. Fists were starting to fly. Just when all Hell was about to break loose, Steven Tyler walks onstage & tells everyone to calm down or they’re gonna pull the plug on the rest of the show. At that point, my 17 year old ass didn’t give a flying fuck if I ever saw Aerosmith (or the headlining Steppenwolf); they had better trot BOC back out there, or the Revolution starts right here & right now. Much to my amazement, though, the crowd clammed up like babies sucking on their momma’s tit. Luckily for Baltimore, Aerosmith & Steppenwolf were kick-ass enough to soothe us savage beasts. The Revolution would have to wait for another day.
Me & the boys had driven to Baltimore singin’ “Get yourself a cooler & lay yourself low” & “Come with me little girl, on a magic carpet ride;" but we rode home singin’ Cities on flame - with Rock & Roll."

And so began the 40 year love-love relationship I have had with Blue Oyster Cult. I’ve seen them 30+ times in a variety of venues since then, from arenas to clubs (big & small) & even in a converted Safeway. They have had 21 (or so) different lineups in the times I’ve seen them; but they always bring their A game (or at least their B+ game). If they are playing @ your county fair or even a local strip mall, I would check them out. You won’t be disappointed.

Blue Oyster Cult formed as Soft White Underbelly in 1968. They were headquartered near Stony Brook University on Long Island. Founding members Albert Bouchard & Donald Roeser had recruited Allen Lanier, John Weisenthal & Andy Winters into the band. Les Braunstein was 'discovered' by Mrs. Sandy Perlman and added to the band as singer and charismatic stage presence. Sandy Perlman was the band's manager of sorts & had managed to secure them a record deal with Elektra. Artistic differences led to Braunstein leaving the band & being replaced by the original sound man, Eric Bloom. Elektra wasn't happy with the switch from the San Francisco psychedelic sound, to the more Rock & Roll vibe that Bloom brought to the band & backed out of the deal. Perlman convinced the execs to give them a chance & after an audition with Bloom up front agreed to go ahead with the record.

Soft White Underbelly had a new sound & after a particularly disastrous gig decided to change their name. They became the Stalk-Forrest Group & went to California to record their debut album. Perlman gave them stage names & that's when Donald Roeser became Buck Dharma. Something fizzled & Elektra only ever released the single What Is Quicksand? (300 promo copies) before terminating their deal. The Stalk-Forrest group headed back East. Weisenthal & Winters left & Albert's brother Joe joined the band on bass.

Perlman managed to get an audition with Clive Davis @ Columbia Records & he was impressed enough to sign them up. Perlman also decided it was time for another name change & the band became Blue Oyster Cult. They weren't crazy about the name, but went along with it anyway.

Blue Oyster Cult's self-titled debut was released in January 1972. It received good reviews including one from the Village Voice's Robert Christgau that stated, "The tightest and most musical hard rock record since - dare I say it - "Who's Next." I had just graduated from scouring comic book racks to scouring record bins & the mystical cover & wacky name caught my eye. I took a flyer & was immediately impressed with some of it, but not quite able to grasp most of it. It stayed near the back of my rotation for a few years. When I finally bothered to listen more deeply I found that those tunes I had previously thought of as filler, had quite a bit of texture.

Saw them open with this many times including this one @ the Capital Center in '76:

Never quite grasped this one, but damn if ain't cool:

When gas was cheap as thrills:

BOCs homage to the events @ Altamonte:

And of course the celestial matters:

Then there was this one:

Blue Oyster Cult's debut album offered a dark glimpse into what we were in store for. It was the first record in the trilogy that is known as their Black & White period. It sold reasonably well, probably as much for the gimmicky name as anything else; as Cities On Flame was too brash for Top 40 radio & nobody was playing deep cuts at the time.

Tyranny & Mutation, Blue Oyster Cult's 2nd album came out in February of 1973 & totally slid under my radar. I was off on my Allman Brothers tangent & their debut hadn't caught my ear enough to warrant me plunking down my allowance & mopping the local bakery's floor money for another cool album cover. It was just another mistake I made along the way, as T & M is an outstanding record. All of the band members continued to share songwriting (and singing) duties. Sandy Perlman also helped write many of the songs & T & M is the album where Patti Smith makes the first of her many collaborations with the band. Critic Gordon Fletcher, of Rolling Stone, called it, 'An avalanche of sonic hysteria (that) summons your attention.' When I finally did get around to listening to it, it certainly got mine.

An updated version of their 'I'm On The Lamb ..' dedicated to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police:

Patti Smith helped write this one:

Subtle but to the point:

Pursued by an army of birds in the rain:

Just bustin a diz:

The heat from below can burn your eyes out:

Tyranny & Mutation was a very solid follow-up to their debut. Blue Oyster Cult was not a band that was easy to define. Not quite prog rock, not quite metal. Just when no one knew what to call them, they confused us even more with the release of their masterpiece 'Secret Treaties'.

End of part 1
Last edited by Slipkid42 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

dime in the gutter

Re: AOTW - 7-29-13 - Blue Oyster Cult

Post by dime in the gutter »

fuck yeah, slipkid. outstanding choice. gonna learn me some stuff here.

can't wait to read.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

With 1974's Secret Treaties, Blue Oyster Cult solidified their place among Rock & Roll's heavyweights. From its boastful opener 'Career of Evil' (co-written by Patti Smith) to the last hopeful lines of Astronomy; Secret Treaties delivers a dark vision in a way few other records ever did. It is only 8 songs & 38 minutes long, but BOC manages to pack a lot of punch in that short time. Critic Thom Jurek in his Allmusic review of the record says, "It's a breathless rock monolith that is all dark delight and sinister pleasure. While the Cult went on to well-deserved commercial success with Agents of Fortune an album later, the freaky inspiration that was offered on their debut, and brought to shine like a black jewel on Tyranny and Mutation, was fully articulated as visionary on Secret Treaties." I don't know how visionary it was, but it certainly wasn't run-of-the-mill.

Well I've opened up my veins too many times
And the poison's in my heart and in my mind
Poison's in my bloodstream
Poison's in my pride
I'm after rebellion
I'll settle for lies

Is it any wonder that my mind's on fire
Imprisoned by the thoughts of what to do
Is it any wonder that my joke's an iron
And the joke's on you

Flaming Telepaths is my favorite BOC song, and its seamless segue into Astronomy rivals Zeppelin's Livin' Lovin' Maid/Heartbreaker twofer. Couldn't find a youtube with the 2 together; but they stand just as well on their own:

Another favorite that they stopped playing live for whatever reason:

I want to do it to your daughter on a dirt road:

Harvester of Eyes that's me & I see all there is to see:

Here's the one I saw the 5-guitar attack on:

If you are unfamiliar with Blue Oyster Cult, or if you only know them from (Don't Fear) The Reaper or Godzilla; then I strongly suggest that you give Secret Treaties a listen. It will take you down a dark road & you might feel a little dirty; but it's a fun kind of dirty, that comes out in the wash.

End of part 2.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i just started skimming this last night when i was downloading photos from Newport, but i will take a closer look soon...one of my favorite bands, and it looks like you nailed this one.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Nice job Slip! BoC has been one of my favorite bands since 1976, although there were a lot of years where I didn't admit that much and considered them a guilty pleasure but these days I pretty much think of them as just pleasure. My introduction was Agents of Fortune and played ETI over and over again like a 13 year old girl (my record store musical mentor would have approved). As great as the studio records are it's the live records that I usually go back to the most. On Your Feet or On Your Knees, Some Enchanted Evening and Extraterrestrial Live are all fantastic. Looking forward to the rest of your piece!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

In March of 1975, On Your Feet Or On Your Knees was released without fanfare & went mostly unnoticed until the next year, when Agents of Fortune went viral. Of course I was all over it. It is one of the better live albums of all time. The production is raw but somehow they managed to capture the snarl & passion that a BOC show evoked. I remember a stretch of 2-3 months when all I played was OYFOOYK & the Allman Brothers @ the Fillmore East back to back to back to back ... life was simpler then (except I had to keep turning the records over). Tony Mastrianni in Creem said, "This is the fourth great live rock LP ever recorded. The first three being Ya Ya's, Live Johnny Winter and Rock 'n' Roll Animal. It may be the finest ever, cause Roxy Music will probably never record one.."

A master at work:

Best version of this classic:

I've got women to the right of me:

Patti Smith apparently had some kind of fling/relationship with keyboardist Allen Lanier. I didn't care enough to dig any deeper into that. What is noteworthy is that Patti Smith helped write so many kick-ass songs for BOC. This one is on their 4th studio album, Agents of Fortune:

You’re boned like a saint
With the consciousness of a snake

You’re the kind of girl I’d like to find
Face like an angel (In my mirror)
But you’re boned like the devil

Your eyes have shifted from me
Everyone saw what you did
You have slipped from beneath me
Like a false and nervous squid

Oh, no more horses, horses
We’re going to swim like a fish
Into the hole in which you planned to ditch me
My lovely Vera Marie

Agents of Fortune was released in 1976 & mostly on the strength of (Don't Fear) The Reaper, became BOC's best selling album. Agents is hardly a one-trick pony. It is a very strong album. I had been worried that they wouldn't be able to maintain their run of excellence; but the first 20 seconds of 'Summer of Love allayed those fears. I had mixed feelings about the band's sudden popularity. One side of me was happy that the boys would finally earn some big money & get blue M & Ms & lines of blow, but the selfish side of me resented all these pretenders trying to worship @ my altar. I finally figured there was enough BOC to go around for all of us. The more the merrier. Ken Tucker in Rolling Stone said, "Agents of Fortune is a startlingly excellent album--startling because one does not expect Blue Öyster Cult to sound like this; loud but calm, manic, but confident, melodic but rocking." I, for one, had come to expect it.

This ain't the Garden of Eden:

I'm gonna pull you from this dance:

Corny-colored demons leering:

Let's watch it fall apart:

I didn't care, cause she was just there:

Romeo & Juliet are together in Eternity:

Agents of Fortune changed everything. The secret was out.

End of part 3.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

BOC was among the first bands with a laser light show, but it proved much more trouble than it was worth. The rig was constantly breaking down & OSHA was even on their ass, responding to claims of temporary blindness from some concertgoers. They sold it all off & let their music do the talking. BOC was headlining arenas now. The co-headlined with Black Sabbath on the Black & Blue tour. It was a fitful pairing & a far cry from the early days, when they had somehow been mismatched with the Mahavishnu Orchestra (who didn't rock or roll).

Spectres was the last BOC album Sandy Perlman worked on. It is quite a diverse album with many high points, but somehow I felt the bloom was off that rose. The first number, Godzilla, seemed like a sell-out almost. Still, it got decent reviews. John Milward in Rolling Stone wrote, "Hard as nails but as sweet as cream, Spectres shows the Blue Öyster Cult to be the Fleetwood Mac of heavy metal" Trouble was, I didn't want my BOC to sound like Fleetwood Mac.

Our best years have passed us by:

Bleached by the sun and scorched by the moon:

Lucy clutched her breast in fear:

Oh no! There goes Tokyo:

The beginning of the end for sure. Spectres was a decent enough album, but it was not up to my BOC standard.

In 1978, BOC released their 2nd live album, Some Enchanted Evening. Max Bell in the New Musical Express wrote, "Some Enchanted Evening is such a fine document of the band on form that its major fault lies in not being a double (disc)". It was intended to be a double album, but Columbia insisted on the single album format. They may have been right; they were stingy to us fans, but Some Enchanted Evening was BOC's biggest selling album. It does showcase yet again how superb a live band that Blue Oyster Cult is.

I was born ready:

Blistering cover of the MC5 classic:

Eric Bloom does a pretty mean Eric Burdon:

A mirror is a negative space with a frame.

1979's Mirrors was disappointing to me; but it is not as bad as I remembered it. Steve Gett in Melody Maker gushes, "They've modified their approach since "Spectres" to recreate some of the original magic, combining it with the more airplay-based style. The end result is a totally fresh, vital sound and quite possibly their finest-ever studio achievement to date". That last statement is a bald faced lie. Mirrors was BOC's first effort without Sandy Perlman. It was produced by Tom Werman, who had worked with Cheap Trick & Ted Nugent. It mostly didn't click, but there are a few memorable numbers.

This one was written by sci-fi writer Micheal Moorcock:

Pretty girls can't look away:

Music is the best medicine:

One of my favorites:

BOC was getting just a little too polished. Something needed to light a fire under their ass. Martin Birch, who had just worked with Black Sabbath on Heaven & Hell was recruited for a spark.

!980's Cultosaurus Erectus was a return to form. The hard edge was back. There was still a little gas left in the tank. Kelley Bass wrote in the Arkansas Gazette (so it's got to be true), "Eddie Van Halen may think he can play a guitar. But lead guitarist Buck Dharma and his gang are the best thing going in this country." He wasn't too far off.

Hauling me faster and faster to an early, early grave:

Jackals in waistcoats, men in sheets:

But the cops moved in and shot the operation down

I've been t-tripped I'm crawling on all fours:

I had missed the Black & Blue Tour with Sabbath, but I did happen to catch them when they snuck into D.C. & played the Bayou as Soft White Underbelly. Joint was half full & they took requests. It was awesome.

End of part 4.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

dude. you are hammering it.

always ignorantly dismissed boc as a 2 or 3 trick pony. back on 9b, tinnitus posted a link to a julian cope blog where he was raging on about the brilliance of boc. so i went and bought the 1st lp. still the only one i have, but it is a smoking bad ass rock and roll record.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Holy shit SlipKid, when did you see BOC at The Bayou!?!

Rocky trivia: Swiml1kafish was the last password I used on my computer.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

That's a very thorough piece you have committed Mr.Slip! Congratulations.

I must admit I belong amongst them that originally became aware of this band via the famous Cowbell sketch on SNL. Not a band that recieved a lot of attention in the post-punk era at the northern rim of Europe. Did a little quick internet dive into BOC a few years ago, but without knowing where to start I soon gave up. I have been through the clips of part 1 & 2 above and I think the live clips sounds pretty good. Especially the guitar stuff. I must admit that some of the lead vocal style doesn't appeal that much (the "vibrato"), but I will definetly check out some of the live albums.

Slipkid42 wrote:
Patti Smith apparently had some kind of fling/relationship with keyboardist Allen Lanier. I didn't care enough to dig any deeper into that. What is noteworthy is that Patti Smith helped write so many kick-ass songs for BOC. This one is on their 4th studio album, Agents of Fortune:

Patty Smith write about this in her book Just Kids. If I rememember correctly the relationship dates as as far back as the Soft White Underbelly period.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

slipkid42 wrote:1979's Mirrors was disappointing to me; but it is not as bad as I remembered it. Steve Gett in Melody Maker gushes, "They've modified their approach since "Spectres" to recreate some of the original magic, combining it with the more airplay-based style. The end result is a totally fresh, vital sound and quite possibly their finest-ever studio achievement to date". That last statement is a bald faced lie. Mirrors was BOC's first effort without Sandy Perlman. It was produced by Tom Werman, who had worked with Cheap Trick & Ted Nugent. It mostly didn't click, but there are a few memorable numbers.

I'm glad you included this bit. Is Mirrors a great record? Not by a long shot but it really does have some great songs and even as a whole is a pretty good listen. It came out the year I graduated high school and in a lot of ways was my last dance with hard rock/arena rock for a very long time. Along with Van Halen, BoC was my lynchpin through my high school years and I think I saw them 7 times in that period. I listened to Mirrors constantly throughout 1979 until someone turned me on to Elvis Costello and my musical world turned on its axis leaving my old standbys behind. I hadn't listened to it in a very long time until Craig Lieske and I had a conversation about it two or three years ago and at his urging I revisited it and dug it. Again, great work here Slip, thanks.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Rocky, I wanna say it was 1982. This buddy called me up & said that BOC was playing the Bayou; but that they were coming as Soft White Underbelly. He told me that was their first name (which I did not know at the time). I was skeptical the whole way there, but as soon as we got in line, I saw the familiar logo on some t-shirts; and knew I was in for something special. I also saw Robin Trower at the Bayou around that time (although that was a packed house).

tinnitus photography

awesome piece of work, Slipkid.

i'll take the liberty of adding a few of my favorites that weren't linked.

The definitive version of this song...love it:

I also rate Spectres higher than you...and this song is one of the major reasons:

i love the fact that there were three strong songwriters (Dharma, Bloom, A Bouchard) and Lanier and J Bouchard could chip in essential parts as needed. and all 5 sang too...pretty rare for a rock band like this! are you planning on going any deeper in the BOC discography? it definitely got a lot choppier...not much good stuff, unfortunately. Buck Dharma will always be one of my favorite guitar players though...unparalleled melodicist as a soloist.

lastly, if any of you follow the Minutemen you'll know that D Boon and Watt and Hurley were big BOC fans. they covered "The Red and The Black" and recently I found this Watt-related gem:

and I can't find a good photo of mine, but Scott "Wino" Weinrich has a nice BOC logo tattoo high up on his chest.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

1982's Extraterrestrial Live (ETL) is my favorite live album. Check it out.

I was a big Michael Moorcock fan so I loved Black Blade. The anti-hero to Frodo. Cool that he wrote the lyrics. Imagine if J.R.R. Tolkien wrote the lyrics to Ramble On.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

blackwll wrote:1982's Extraterrestrial Live (ETL) is my favorite live album. Check it out.

I like that one too. Robbie Krieger on Roadhouse Blues is a nice touch. I can't think of too many bands with multiple great live albums but they're definitely one of them.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

tinnitus photography wrote:awesome piece of work, Slipkid.

Whistle blown for encroachment! :D

This is an interesting thread. I had pretty much accepted that BOC were good but not of interest to me due to the previously mentioned heavy metal/prog rock intersection, one that I generally don't cross.

However, there's enough blues-based guitar work in there to at least inspire borrowing five of a friend's CDs (first five, his collection seems to drop bands upon scoring a hit single) and am listening now. Still not sure if they'll make my regular's rotation (for genre reasons, not quality), but I feel like I need to at least know their catalog better than I have up to now, and ya never know.... thanks slip for an interesting thread!

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

lotusamerica wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:awesome piece of work, Slipkid.

Whistle blown for encroachment! :D

This is an interesting thread. I had pretty much accepted that BOC were good but not of interest to me due to the previously mentioned heavy metal/prog rock intersection, one that I generally don't cross.

However, there's enough blues-based guitar work in there to at least inspire borrowing five of a friend's CDs (first five, his collection seems to drop bands upon scoring a hit single) and am listening now. Still not sure if they'll make my regular's rotation (for genre reasons, not quality), but I feel like I need to at least know their catalog better than I have up to now, and ya never know.... thanks slip for an interesting thread!

I lived at the corner of metal/prog in the 1980's. Nice neighborhood but I moved to the country! Geddy Lee and Steve Harris were my neighbors.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Now that was an exhaustive recap.

Another band I've never spent any time with outside of what gets played on the radio, but I just threw on "On Your Feet or On Your Knees" and it is kicking some serious ass.

Home run Slip.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

1981's Fire of Unknown Origin was a nice followup to Cultosaurus Erectus. Martin Birch was again at the helm. BOC had been asked to write a song for the animated movie Heavy Metal. This spurred a flurry of writing, but the producers of HM chose one that hadn't been intended for that movie, Veteran of the Psychic Wars. Several of the songs that were written for HM made it on Fire of Unknown Origin (incl. Heavy Metal: The Black & Silver & Vengeance (The Pact)). Also on the album was a song Buck had written for a solo project. Burning For You didn't especially fit Fire of Unknown Origin's sci-fi themes; but damn if it wasn't a catchy little ditty. It helped propel BOC back into the public consciousness & helped this album sell more than the previous 2 had. It was also well received by the critics. Parke Puterbaugh of Rolling Stone states, "Fire of Unknown Origin" is potent hard rock informed by literate songwriting, assured ensemble playing and flawless production. " It was a pretty good album for literates (and illiterates as well).

Patti Smith helped write the title track:

The War's still going on:

He stood alone and he had no plan:

Catholic school girls have thrown away their mascara :

This one has a cool interview too:

The popularity of Burning For You had me thinking BOC might just go on forever. Another foolish pipedream, as Fire of Unknown Origin was the last album with the original lineup (well the best lineup anyway). While on tour, promoting this album; Albert apparently overindulged (even by rock star standards) & showed up late for 2 gigs in the U.K. & that was the final straw. Lighting designer Rick Downey filled in on drums (keep in mind the former sound man was singing) for the rest of the tour. Albert Bouchard was more than just the drummer. He was a creative force. This did not bode well.

1982 was a lean year for BOC. Buck was working on his solo album. Albert was gone, about to spend 5 years writing what would become Blue Oyster Cult's 1988 album Imaginos. Seems like a good time for another live album.

Extra Terrestrial Live is another great live album. Half the songs had already been on On Your Feet Or On Your Knees or Some Enchanted Evening, but who's keeping score? Some versions were better on ETL, so it was worth the purchase. Plus we got another cool cover.

Keep your eyes on the road:

King in yellow, Queen in red:

Midnight was the barrier:

The rest of the 80's weren't much kinder to Blue Oyster Cult (or us fans). In fact things got progressively worse, as 1983's The Revolution By Night was only marginally better than 1985's Club Ninja (and Club Ninja wasn't too special). In fact by the time Club Ninja was released Allen Lanier had quit the band (at least temporarily). 1988 saw the long awaited release of Imaginos; but I'm glad I hadn't held my breath. Albert Bouchard pulled together Sandy Pearlman's vision of history, but he was not allowed to play on the record. In fact, it's unclear just how involved BOC was on this album. I will try to hit the few highlights.

ImageImageImage

Patti Smith helped write this one:

Cheesy 80's videos are pretty cool:

I was cryin' in the ruins (of a once proud band)

This one ain't too shabby.
*co-written by our old friend Jim Carroll

Imagine(os) this one can only be appreciated in its entirety:

For those with less time (or more of a life):

Joe Bouchard quit the band midway through the '86-87 tour for Club Ninja. They got Jon Rogers on the quick, to finish the tour. For all intents & purposes that was the end of BOC as I loved them. They had 3 more studio albums, but I don't know much about them. I'm sure they can't be too terrible (if Buck Dharma played on them). Allen Lanier came back & played with them until 2006 on the Forever Tour. They played clubs & abandoned supermarkets & such. They have undergone various lineup changes over the last 20 years; but Eric Bloom & more importantly Buck Dharma have remained the constant. Sometimes they are referred to as the Two Oyster Cult. They have managed to keep themselves surrounded by highly competent musicians who are able to somewhat recreate the glory of Blue Oyster Cult. Current member Richie Castellano is pretty sensational. Signed as a bass player 9 years ago, he has moved over to guitar and often trades hot licks w/Buck. Check 'em out. They are still worth a listen.

They hadn't seen a cop around all day:

1277 Express to Hell:

Another 40,000 coming everyday:

Unplugged?:

Here's some miscellaneous covers & other shit.

tp turned me on to this one:

Not really a cover since she co-wrote it:

It's their color scheme:

This is the night we ride:

More Cowbell!:

How can kick they me out of my band?:

Last edited by Slipkid42 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Maybe it's a stretch but whenever I think of Drive-By Truckers, lasers and Blue Öyster Cult I'm reminded of The Stoned Age:

For anyone that wants to go there, the entire movie is on YouTube. Some have said it's better than Dazed and Confused (which came out around the same time). I wouldn't go that far as they're actually fairly different but it is worth a rental (or watching for free on YouTube).

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Thanks everybody for slugging through that. Don't try to take it all in at once, or you might bust a diz. Turns out a diz is the head of one's penis.

KG - that is a cool clip. looks like my kind of movie.
lotus - no encroachment on tp. I can use all the help I can get.
Rolan -it is hard to believe that Eric Bloom was able to squeeze such a semi-legendary career out of his one-dimensional singing voice. To BOC's credit they passed the singing duties around somewhat & made that less obvious. The live albums are very solid, but if you skip the studio albums you will miss a few nuggets.
tp - I do love Spectres, just not as much as the ones that came before it. I agree that they had big songwriting contributions from all the members; but they had a lot of outside help too. Sandy Pearlman & Richard Meltzer & Patti Smith were continuing contributors & Helen Wheels & Micheal Moorcock (as blackwill points out) also pitched in along the way. I think that is what gave them enough variety to have staying power.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Shades of a bunch of other threads: Other than "Don't Fear the Reaper," BOC was a band that people I didn't like and whose musical tastes were very different from mine liked, so I never really listened to them and know virtually nothing about them to this day (except the Patti Smith connection and the Soft White Underbelly alter ego - as I remember it they would sometimes play sneak gigs at small clubs in the NY area under that name and it was a very cool thing to be in the know about those shows in those pre internet days). Well done, slip and you other enthusiastic fans, you've piqued my interest...
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

tinnitus photography

a few other random covers:

Current 93 - This Ain't The Summer Of Love

Fu Manchu - Godzilla

Wilco - Don't Fear The Reaper (terrible video but decent audio...this was awesome to see!)

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I believe they only did this once and if memory serves, it was during the Monster tour.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

tinnitus photography

I forgot about this one until I heard it on the radio Friday during Jon Bernhardt's Breakfast of Champions show (BOC!) on WMBR...i've got a copy of this somewhere

tinnitus photography

tangentially related, but the 2nd part of my interview w/ Mike Watt covers some ground w/ BOC.

http://bigtakeover.com/interviews/inter ... hit-part-2

also, that yahoo live broadcast thing over the weekend was pretty great.