AOTW 7/22/13--Glossary

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

rlipps

AOTW 7/22/13--Glossary

Post by rlipps »

Part I:

A brief bio from All Music:

Formed in 1997 in Murfreesboro, TN, Glossary melded its disparate influences -- Modest Mouse, Sonic Youth, Pavement, Neil Young, and '80s country music -- into a guitar-driven form of American rock & roll. Frontman Joey Kneiser, bassist Bingham Barnes, keyboardist Maggie Gresham, and guitarists Jason Manley and Gregory Jacks comprised the band's first lineup, which made its debut in 1998 by releasing Southern by the Grace of Location through the band's own Champ Records label. A second album, All We've Learned About Living, followed two years later.

Glossary's lineup fluctuated during the early 2000s, with Joey Kneiser always remaining at the forefront. The band's sound proved to be consistent, however, and Glossary issued a series of albums (including the regional favorite How We Handle Our Midnights) that merged Southern twang with plenty of guitar muscle. Feral Fire appeared in 2010, featuring another revised lineup -- Kneiser and Barnes were the only remnants of the band's original incarnation -- and another batch of alt.country rock songs.

Press release for their latest album, Long Live All of Us

The phrase “Long Live All of Us” is the title of Glossary’s seventh full-length album, but it’s also meant as an all-inclusive homage to humanity. Frontman Joey Kneiser says, in light of all the bad things happening in the world, the band just wanted to make a positive record.

Long Live All of Us allowed the band from Murfreesboro, Tennessee, to take their influences farther than ever before, adding piano, haunting pedal steel, R&B-influenced horns and more to their own style of romanticized rock & roll. The songs are well-intentioned narratives that emphasize the great attributes of mankind — mercy, redemption, forgiveness and second chances.

Over a period of one month, the band transformed a house in rural Rockvale, Tennessee, into a recording studio and self-produced Long Live All of Us with friend and engineer Mikey Allred. The setting, joked Kneiser, would have fit perfectly into a Glossary song. The house was sandwiched between a church and a condemned meth lab, which was still wrapped in police tape.

Previous records — like 2010’s Feral Fire on Lucero’s Liberty & Lament label — were all recorded in 10 days or less, and were made to have a live feel. For the first time ever, the band had the luxury of time on its side.

“That’s the rock & roll dream…to live in a house and write and record together all day,” says Kneiser. “It allowed us a chance to experiment, and if you really wanted to do something you could take the time to make it happen. It was really one of the greatest creative experiences that I’ve ever had.”

The result is a hodgepodge of American music, similar to the Rolling Stones’ Exile on Main Street or the Clash’s London Calling — records that spanned many different musical genres. For example, Long Live All of Us switches from a Gospel-influenced song to a hopping, R&B-styled groove, and then to a crawling, country-tinged ballad and on to a soulful, up-tempo rock song. Jim Spake and Nahshon Benford added horns on several tracks, including jaunty, Stax-like rhythmic horns on “A Shoulder to Cry On” and a lyrical baritone sax solo on “Under the Barking Moon.”

In the end, Kneiser says, when everything around us is constantly reminding us of what we’re doing wrong, we just wanted to remind us of what we’re doing right.

“The best thing that we have going as human beings is each other,” he says.

As you can tell, there isn't a whole lot of info on Glossary found on the web, which is a shame in itself. When trying to turn someone on to Glossary, I usually tell them, "They're your favorite band, you just don't know it yet". Although Glossary has been around for 15+ years, I didn't discover them until around 2008, mainly due to DBT and the people on the old 9 Bullets board championing them. Once I began to immerse myself in their music, I was totally and completely hooked. From the beautiful harmonies of Joey & Kelly Kneiser, to the sweet sounds of Todd Beene's pedal steel, so the rock-solid rhythm section of Bingham Barnes & Eric Giles, I had found my latest musical obsession, which is still going strong over 5 years later.

One of the things I wanted to do with this AOTW feature, in addition to providing some video clips and background info, is to let the members answer some fan-submitted questions from me and from others here at 3DD. To end part I of this feature, I am going to post questions and answers from Joey & Bingham. Hopefully Todd & Kelly will get their answers back to me soon, and if/when they do, I'll add them to this post. Part 2 will feature some video clips and other stuff, hopefully it'll be up tonight. Enjoy!

Joey Kneiser (lead vocals & guitar)

How do you guys decide when it’s time for a new album? Do you wait until you have several songs written, or do you set a time to make the album, then begin writing for it?

- We usually decide it's time to make a new record once we've done everything in our power to promote the previous one. I don't write that many songs before it's time for a new record. I'm more of a batch writer. I decide an idea and theme for the record and then start writing all the songs together. I've written all the Glossary and solo stuff like that.

I was watching YouTube videos the other day, and I noticed when introducing Little Caney, you mentioned you had family in eastern KY, specifically West Liberty. Since I live in Manchester, KY, which is about 2 hours from West Liberty, in southeastern KY, I was curious if you ever lived in West Liberty and if you still have family there?

- Yep, both sides of my family are from West Liberty KY. My mother and father as well as their mothers and fathers grew up there. I myself only spent summers there growing up. It's very much a poor mountain town with a population around 4 to 5,000 people.

Who were some of your musical influences growing up, and who are some of your favorite contemporary bands?

- When I was growing up, there wasn't much music in my house. Some of my cousins played bluegrass in West Liberty, but for the most part I listened to country music with my grandmother. She loved George Jones and Conway Twitty. My father was a huge movie buff and had an enormous VHS collection. I grew up watching movies and became obsessed with film. I heard Bruce Springsteen and was blown away that you could write songs that were like mini movies. I was hooked to songwriting after that.
- There's a lot of great contemporary bands that I love. Deer Tick, Blitzen Trapper, Nude Beach, Dr. Dog, Deerhunter. John Moreland is my favorite songwriter right now.

Glossary has shared the stage with some great bands over the years, such as DBT, Slobberbone, Lucero, etc. Is there any band you’ve not gotten to play with that is on your wish list?

- Yeah. I'd love to play with Deer Tick

Your lineup has been fairly stable for the past several years. How have you manage to keep mostly the same people, especially with so much turnover in other bands during that same time frame?

- I think for the 5 of us there has been no B plan. The band is the only thing I've ever done that makes me feel free. It's like writing your own destiny. It can be scary but you're making something that's truly your own. Something that never existed before. That appeals to us.

You guys recently completed your 1st European tour. How was that experience and what kind of reception did you receive for the European fans in comparison to the States? Any cool places or things you got to see when you weren’t playing music?

- Yeah, we did our first European tour this year. We toured 5 weeks to 9 different countries. It was awesome. The crowds where great. Not much different from the states. Less cell phones. We really had no days off, so we didn't get to do any tourist stuff. We did get to see the cathedral in Cologne, Germany. It was amazing.

Bingham Barnes (bass)

Since we have a lot of musicians on 3DD, I’m curious to know what type of bass rig you are playing these days, and do you use the same rig for recording and touring?

- My bass rig is a 1980 something SUNN Coliseum 300 head and a Acoustic 8X10 cabinet. I've also owned a EARTH Superbass 1000 for years with a matching 2X15 cabinet. I read on the internet somewhere that it was made in the late 60's and was a rip-off of a Marshall Superbass. I dunno. I like the 2X15 a lot so often I take it on the road instead of the 8X10. The EARTH head is too old to tour with but it sometimes ends up on recordings. I also have a tiny Fender Music Master Bass amp that is great for re-amping in the studio or pretending to be in Dinosaur Jr.

You guys recently completed your 1st European tour. How was that experience and what kind of reception did you receive for the European fans in comparison to the States?

- It was our first time in Europe. Our buddy Austin Lucas took us with him as his backing band and opening act. (We made a album called "Stay Reckless" with him in December. It should be out sometime soon) I think we were received well…people clapped after songs. UK Border agents jokingly asked if we were the Killers. I had an Amazing time in Europe, it was my beer tour. I drank so much beer and gained about 10lbs. There was so much different beer to try, especially in Belgium but I really think that the Czechs make it best. It was Any cool places or things you got to see when you weren’t playing music? We got to tour the Cologne Cathedral. It was amazing to step inside something so beautiful, massive, and old. They started building that thing in 1248 and they are still working on it. The Prague Astronomical clock was pretty awesome too even if it's only 600 years old.

Glossary has shared the stage with some great bands over the years, such as DBT, Slobberbone, Lucero, etc. Is there any band you’ve not gotten to play with that is on your wish list?

- It's really hard to move-up from that list. I'd say touring with Dinosaur Jr. or Built To Spill would be at the top of my list.

Did you always play bass, or did you first pick up the guitar and then switch over to bass later on?

- I played Tuba or Sousaphone 6th grade through my freshman year at UT in Knoxville. I bought my first guitar in 7th grade, a fake Les Paul. When I got it home I expected to get blown back to the wall like Marty McFly in Back To The Future. That didn't happen so I lost interest quickly. My high school band director lent me the school owned Gibson Grabber my freshman year to learn to play in the "Jazz" band. I remember playing "Peter Gunn" and a super simplified version of "Birdland" by The Weather Report. I wish I had that Gibson now. I bet it's still sitting in the instrument closet at Greeneville High.

Who are some of your favorite bassists?

- Cliff Burton (Metallica), Mike Watt (Minutemen/ Firehose), Lou Barlow (Dinosaur Jr.) Donald "Duck" Dunn (STAX) , Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) , James Jamerson (Motown), Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath) Mike Mills (REM), John Entwistle (The Who) Andy Rourke (The Smiths) I could go on….and on but I'd finally like to mention Matt Swanson. He played in a metal/ jazz fusion band from Nashville in the late 80's called Clockhammer. Ken Coomer (Uncle Tupelo/ Wilco) was the drummer. That stuff really blew my mind when I was a kid. He's been a member of Lambchop for many years now and is one of the most interesting bassists in Nashville for sure.

Who were some of your musical influences growing up, and who are some of your favorite contemporary bands?

I would go to a friends house in 1st grade to listen to KISS. Dad taught me to use his record player with "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" by Elton John. Santa brought me and my sister a stereo one year with Lionel Richie "Dancing on the Ceiling" We also listened to "Disco Duck" Michael Jackson and "Elvira" by the Oak Ridge Boys a lot. I got into Metal around 4th grade. Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, AC/DC etc… A friend made me a mix tape of her brothers punk albums in 7th grade, it had Butthole Surfers, Dead Kennedys, Violent Femmes, Sex Pistols and more on it. That tape blew my mind. I finally grew up when I started listening to Country. Now I really like everything that is good…in my opinion. Lately I've really been into George Strait, Eric Church, The latest Yo La Tengo record and a metal band from Norway called Kvelertak.

Kelly Kneiser (vocals, percussion)

As I understand, most of you have a “real” job in addition to being in the band. How difficult is it to make that situation work? Ever had to cancel shows because someone couldn’t get off work, etc?

-I can't think of an occasion when we've had to cancel shows at the last minute because of work, but definitely there have been times when we have had to step back from touring for a while or book shorter tours because we haven't all been able to afford to be out of town for a long stretch. It's difficult having to make that decision, because we love to play shows, and we need to get out there as much as we can. Financially, touring has become more reliable, since we have done it for so long and gained momentum, but we're not quite to the point of all being able to quit our jobs. Luckily, though, the jobs we have are flexible. I've worked for my boss for years now, and she always finds a way to make it work when I'm on tour.

My wife is the farthest thing from a music fan. I can’t get her to travel 1.5 hours to Lexington or Knoxville for a concert, but she agreed to drive 4 hours to Asheville back in August to see you guys open for DBT. My kids, who are 4 and 3, absolutely love you guys and my 4-year old requests specific songs by name. Your music seems to appeal to people across the spectrum. Is this something that you all consciously set out to do when making a new album, or do you feel it’s just a result of all the different styles of music that have influenced each of you over the years?

-First of all, let me tell you that the videos you post of your kids dancing around to Glossary songs make me so happy. We have a lot of fans who have passed our music along to their kids, and it's honestly heartwarming. Not just because it's awesome to have kid fans, but also because it's just amazing knowing that there are families out there who can enjoy music together. I do think our music has a broad appeal because of our influences, which are pretty vast, really all over the place. I think when you start out as a youngin' loving punk rock, indie rock, classic rock (okay, all the rocks), and then soul music, and then you realize when your'e older that you love country, too, you're going to end up putting all of that into your music-makin' stew, whether you realize you're doing it or not.

Your latest album, Long Live All of Us, was released on October 2nd, 2011. When can we expect new music from Glossary and are there plans to get together for several weeks in a house like the last time, or will this album be recorded in a more conventional studio?

-Joey is writing new songs now, and we're hoping to get started in the studio in the next few months. What type of studio we'll be in is still up in the air. We kick a lot of ideas around, about what will be best for recording the next album, and we've already made and unmade decisions. It was awesome to have so much time in the house when we recorded Long Live All of Us, and it was creatively fruitful and all that. But it's always worked for us to switch it up, so we'll see. I can say, definitively, we will not rent a chateau in the South of France and end up living there for two years while we get addicted to all the drugs and re-record our album four times from scratch, ending up with...a masterpiece?! Oh dang.

You guys recently completed your 1st European tour. How was that experience and what kind of reception did you receive for the European fans in comparison to the States? Any cool places or things you got to see when you weren’t playing music?

-European fans are great. The majority of the people at our shows there had never heard of us, but we had really friendly audiences who were very receptive, and I think they would...you know...have us back! I think American audiences are a little more jaded, or skeptical, sometimes. Which makes sense, because there is just so much music to wade through. In Europe, they already seem appreciative that a band from America would travel so far to play, so we had that going for us. We didn't have a lot of tourist time, seeing the sights, but the scenery alone is beautiful there, out the window of the van. We definitely saw a castle, and some cathedrals, and we did get to spend a few hours wandering in Prague, which was fantastic.

Who were some of your musical influences growing up, and who are some of your favorite contemporary bands?)

-I grew up loving a lot of '50's and '60's pop and soul--that's what I listened to the most with my mom. My dad liked a lot of classic country, and I remember him listening to a lot of Bonnie Raitt and Lyle Lovett, whom I still really enjoy. 80's music and classic rock was a big deal for me (and still are). It didn't really occur to me until my late teens and into college that there was so much more modern music than what was on the radio. Sometimes I still have trouble connecting with contemporary music, and I can't say what would be my "favorite," but...Wilco, Spoon, and a lot of modern-throwback soul, like Sharon Jones. And, Glossary has played with so many bands that I end up loving, like Austin Lucas, the Truckers, Slobberbone, Two Cow Garage, The Pollies, District Attorneys.

How difficult is it being the only female in a band with 4 dudes? I've noticed at shows you hold your own as far as hauling equipment, as well as selling merch before and after the shows.

-It's not difficult; we've all known each other and toured together for so long that I don't think much about being the only female. There was a time years ago where I ran into quite a bit of sexism from door guys and sound guys, etc. But I don't think I get that as much now, or I just don't notice it as much. I can't imagine sitting on my ass while everyone else was loading equipment into a venue, or just generally not contributing in that sense. And selling merch just ended up being my job years ago, and I really enjoy it. It's the best way to get to talk to people at the show.

Part II:

Glossary's first two albums, 1998's Southern By the Grace of Location and 2000's This is All We've Learned About Living, were both released on the band's own Champ Records. 2003 saw the release of How We Handle Our Midnights, and this release, at least to my ears, finally showed the promise of what was to come. A couple highlights of this record include At Midnight, which Doc Dailey covered on his latest album and this tune entitled When Easy Streets Get Hard to Find

For What I Don't Become, Glossary next release in 2006, continued to show the growth of the band, and in particular, the growth of Joey's songwriting. The album starts with an excellent 1-2-3 punch of Shaking Like a Flame, Poor Boy and Headstones and Dead Leaves. Another standout track is The Reckless, which features the wonderful harmonies of Joey & Kelly (which will be a recurring theme in these video clips). The only video I could find of Poor Boy was with Bitter Branch as a lead-in.

When looking at online discographies for Glossary, the next album that usually shows up is 2010's Feral Fire. While at first glance is may seem that Glossary took 4 years to record a follow-up to For What I Don't Become, the truth is, they released The Better Angels of Our Nature in 2008. This album was released as a free download and is still available for free on Glossary's official site, although you can purchase it on vinyl if so inclined.

On most days, this is my favorite Glossary album and the one that cemented their place in my Mount Rushmore of active bands. From the album-opening guitar lick of Only Time Will Tell to the epic finale of Blood on the Knobs, this album is a masterpiece. Here are some clips from some of my favorite tracks, including acoustic versions of Little Caney & Blood on the Knobs and Gasoline Soaked Heart, shot at Grimey's by our fearless moderator, olwiggum.

Part III:

Feral Fire, which most people I talk to seem to think is the best Glossary release, came out on February 2nd, 2010. My son, John David, was born the day before, so it was a great week for me personally, lol. This album seems to "rock" a little more, and the guitars are reminiscent of Thin Lizzy. Once again, an awesome and rocking trifecta begins the album, starting with Lonely is a Town from the Lake Fever Sessions.

http://vimeo.com/11808090

Next, Glossary did an official video from Save Your Money For the Weekend:

http://vimeo.com/13714578

After a rollicking Trembling Boy, Glossary slowed things down a bit with the beautiful Your Heart to Haunt.

After getting a co-writing credit with Joey & Kelly for Time Rolling on For What I Don't Become and making his vocal debut with his Bitter Branch on The Better Angels of Our Nature, Todd Beene stepped up to the plate with 2 songs for Feral Fire. Here is No Guarantee:

Speaking of Todd, his signature moment in Glossary to me is the soaring pedal steel on this next tune, Bend With the Breeze, which also features great vocal work from both Joey & Kelly.

http://vimeo.com/11807831

Glossary's latest release, Long Live All of Us, came out in 2011. In what seems to be intentional for most of their albums, Glossary opens this one with three rocking, up-tempo numbers that just make you want to get up out of your seat and dance. The opening track, Trouble Won't Last Always, is a positive, upbeat song that has a special place in my household. First, my kids absolutely love this song and request it often, even though they'd renamed it "The Real Sausage". Secondly, it's my wife's favorite Glossary tune and always puts her in a good mood. Lastly, when we built our new house a few years ago, the first night we stayed in it was a Saturday. When we woke up the next morning and got ready for church, I remember this song being on the stereo and just cranking the volume and dancing around the living room with my beautiful wife and 2 awesome kids, just so happy and joyous that all the sacrifice and hard work had paid off and we were now living in our new home. So this song will always hold a special place in my heart for many reasons.

A Shoulder To Cry On and The Flood are next up.

This album also has found Glossary receiving more national recognition, including a couple of appearances on Last Call With Carson Daly. These next two clips were taped at SXSW 2013 and then shown on Daly's late-night show. Here's Cheap Wooden Cross and Keep it Coming.

Glossary shot two more videos for this album, When We Were Wicked, which featured scenes from their Summer 2012 tour and Under a Barking Moon.

Todd Beene makes one contribution to this album, Heart Full of Wanna, and it's stellar as usual. The rhythm section really stands out on this track, as they do on the entire album.

Joey Kneiser has also released a solo album, The All-Night Bedroom Revival in 2010, as well as a solo EP, Moonlight For the Graveyard Heart, which came out this past January. The All-Night Bedroom Revival can be downloaded for free at the Glossary site, while you can purchase his latest from This is American Music, as well as other outlets. Kelly Kneiser also released a self-titled EP a few years ago that is also available at Glossary's site for free download. Here are some clips for these solo efforts.

To conclude the video portion, I'm going to include some random covers, clips from house shows, as well as a couple songs featuring Glossary with Austin Lucas. They are the backing band on his new record, Stay Reckless, which comes out on Aug 27th.

As far as their live shows, if Glossary is anywhere close to you, my advice would be, GO! I've never talked to anyone that had a bad time at a Glossary show. They'll make you want to dance, they'll make you want to smile, they'll make you believe in the power of rock and roll again. In addition to their great music, you won't find a nicer bunch of guys (and gal) around. They'll always take the time to talk to their fans and they seem appreciative of each and every person that comes out to their shows.

If you love music, Glossary has something for you. My wife is the farthest thing from a music fan, but she loves Glossary and was legitimately bummed that they cancelled their upcoming tour dates, because she was pumped about going to Knoxville to see them. My 3 and 4 year old kids love them, because they make them laugh and dance. I love them because they encapsulate everything that made me fall in love with music in the first place: the loud guitars, the twang of the pedal steel, the thumping bass, the beautiful harmonies and the belief that music can still make a difference in this crazy, messed up world we live in.

Hopefully, this AOTW feature will cause some of you that haven't heard Glossary to buy an album and give them a chance. For some of you others that maybe have tried them but didn't give them the proper time or attention they deserve, maybe this will cause you to go back and listen again and give them another chance to click. For others like me that are already fanatics, hopefully you'll enjoy watching these videos as much as I did when searching for them and you'll make plans to get out and see them next time they are in your neck of the woods. Go buy a couple t-shirts and tell them Rodney sent you and tell them thanks for taking the time to answers our questions. Thanks for reading and watching, hope you enjoyed.

Here's some contact info for the band:

www.glossary.us (official site)
http://glossary.portmerch.com/stores/home.php (new merch store)
http://glossary.bandcamp.com/ (Bandcamp page)

Also, look them up on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @GlossaryTN
Last edited by rlipps on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: AOTW 7/22/13--Glossary

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Nice job Rodney! On most days my second favorite band currently active. Looking forward to the rest.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Due to the existence of "The Glossary Thread", I had it in my mind that we'd already had an AOTW on Glossary. Glad someone realized we did not. :)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Zip City wrote:Due to the existence of "The Glossary Thread", I had it in my mind that we'd already had an AOTW on Glossary. Glad someone realized we did not. :)

I actually thought the same thing, so I was thinking of other bands to write about. Happened to be in the AOTW index one day and noticed Glossary wasn't listed.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Just added Part II to my original post, which includes all albums up through The Better Angels of Our Nature. The 3rd and final part will feature Feral Fire and Long Live All of Us, as well as the solo albums and misc. stuff. Hopefully it'll go up tonight when the kids go to bed or early tomorrow.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The most danceable rock and roll band since, well, maybe ever.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I thought about doing an AOTW on All Night Bedroom Revival. It's my favorite record not named Decoration Day.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Just put up the 3rd and final part. Hope you guys enjoy.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Very nice job, Rodney. After years of being a casual listener, I've developed a strong appreciation for their music over the past several months. Apparently I was one of the "others that maybe have tried them but didn't give them the proper time or attention they deserve." Now I've seen the light. I own How We Handle Our Midnights, For What I Don't Become, The Better Angels of Our Nature, Feral Fire and Long Live Us All and they are all fantastic records. Hopefully someday Glossary will venture up to the Northeast for a handful of shows.

The guy who runs the Adios Lounge blog is a huge Glossary fan. You can check out his Glossary-related articles here.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Joey from Glossary is playing Std Deluxe in Waverly, AL in the little house acoustic (ie not amplified) August 24th. I assume Kelly is also coming although I do not know that. Come on Down.

https://www.facebook.com/events/593351987372329/

grapico

Post by grapico »

blackwll wrote:Joey from Glossary is playing Std Deluxe in Waverly, AL in the little house acoustic (ie not amplified) August 24th. I assume Kelly is also coming although I do not know that. Come on Down.

https://www.facebook.com/events/593351987372329/

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Nice job Mr. Lipps. Your excitement and passion come through loud and clear. I love when that happens. Great idea w/ the interviews!

Listening right now.

BTW, not only does the band not play in the northeast (as far as i know anyway), their albums are virtually impossible to find around here (there's the 'net of course but i still like to shop in stores when i can).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I had no idea about Joey's eastern Kentucky roots. I love quite a few artists that have strong connections to that area (Tom T., Dwight Yoakam, Charlie Gearheart) and now I can add Mr. Kneiser to the list.

grapico

Post by grapico »

Smitty wrote:I thought about doing an AOTW on All Night Bedroom Revival. It's my favorite record not named Decoration Day.

You should make this Waverly show and see him play a lot off that album. It's going to be incredible. He'll have crickets chirping as a backing band.

grapico

Post by grapico »

jr29 wrote:I had no idea about Joey's eastern Kentucky roots. I love quite a few artists that have strong connections to that area (Tom T., Dwight Yoakam, Charlie Gearheart) and now I can add Mr. Kneiser to the list.

His contribution to this is outstanding:

http://vibedeck.com/thisisamericanmusic ... -mountains

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

As far as their live shows, if Glossary is anywhere close to you, my advice would be, GO! I've never talked to anyone that had a bad time at a Glossary show. They'll make you want to dance, they'll make you want to smile, they'll make you believe in the power of rock and roll again. In addition to their great music, you won't find a nicer bunch of guys (and gal) around. They'll always take the time to talk to their fans and they seem appreciative of each and every person that comes out to their shows.

X a million
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

beantownbubba wrote:BTW, not only does the band not play in the northeast (as far as i know anyway), their albums are virtually impossible to find around here (there's the 'net of course but i still like to shop in stores when i can).

This is quite true. Uncle Rickey and I saw them open for Lucero at the Music Hall of Williamsburg on 3/30/10. They played a festival in central or western MA that summer (I think...maybe 2011) but I didn't get to that one. I don't know of any Glossary headlining shows in the Northeast since I've been listening to them. I've seen them open for Lucero in Brooklyn in 2010 and open for DBT twice in Asheville in 2012.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

I wasn't planning on the 2012 Asheville DBT shows but flew down on the spur of the moment to catch Glossary open on Saturday. They were great.
Always go to the show

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Glossary's lead singer/guitarist Joey Kneiser is on the Tennessean Music Podcast this week. You can check it out at this link:

http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2013 ... y-kneiser/

grapico

Post by grapico »

Bill in CT wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:BTW, not only does the band not play in the northeast (as far as i know anyway), their albums are virtually impossible to find around here (there's the 'net of course but i still like to shop in stores when i can).

This is quite true. Uncle Rickey and I saw them open for Lucero at the Music Hall of Williamsburg on 3/30/10. They played a festival in central or western MA that summer (I think...maybe 2011) but I didn't get to that one. I don't know of any Glossary headlining shows in the Northeast since I've been listening to them. I've seen them open for Lucero in Brooklyn in 2010 and open for DBT twice in Asheville in 2012.

Another reason not to live to in the NE!

Will

Post by Will »

rlipps wrote:Glossary's lead singer/guitarist Joey Kneiser is on the Tennessean Music Podcast this week. You can check it out at this link:

My friend Kevin hosts that. I actually met him and his wife at the DBT/Hold Steady show at the Ryman some years back.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I downloaded the free album that Glossary put up on their website a year or so ago (can't recall what it's called), what other albums are worth getting?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Gaetzi wrote:I downloaded the free album that Glossary put up on their website a year or so ago (can't recall what it's called), what other albums are worth getting?

All of them except for the debut.
here's my favorites (in order)

Midnights
Better Angels
Long Live
For What
Feral Fire
This is All
Southern

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Thanks Smitty!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

grapico

Post by grapico »

Dear Friends & Gentle Hearts EP

Thoughts anyone? Really solid little EP. And it has the most bluegrassyish song they've ever done in "West Liberty" I still don't have the first two albums. Need to fix that.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Smitty wrote:
Gaetzi wrote:I downloaded the free album that Glossary put up on their website a year or so ago (can't recall what it's called), what other albums are worth getting?

Midnights
Better Angels
Long Live
For What
Feral Fire
This is All
Southern

Smitty, I'm shocked that Feral Fire is so far down on your list.

That said, I am missing some of the older ones.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

cortez the killer

one belt loop wrote:
Smitty wrote:

Midnights
Better Angels
Long Live
For What
Feral Fire
This is All
Southern

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous.
- DPM

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

rlipps wrote:Glossary's lead singer/guitarist Joey Kneiser is on the Tennessean Music Podcast this week. You can check it out at this link:

As a follow-up, I listened to this podcast the other night and I highly recommend it, whether you are a huge fan of the band or someone just interested in checking them out for the first time. Joey talks about his mother's death and the basically non-relationship with his father and how wanting that sense of family and belonging was a big reason why he wanted to be in a band. He also hit on some things that might explain why they don't tour the NE much, such as they've never had a booking agent or manager. It's basically a DIY operation. Listen if you get a chance, it's well-worth your time.

cortez the killer

rlipps wrote:the basically non-relationship with his father

What's there to go back to
If you had nothing to start out with
All my daddy left me was a name
And a mouth full of bad teeth

rlipps wrote:He also hit on some things that might explain why they don't tour the NE much, such as they've never had a booking agent or manager.

Classic Headhunter Summer Concert Series candidate.
- DPM

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

cortez the killer wrote:
one belt loop wrote:

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous.

Feral Fire is great, but the rest are better. It & "For What.." are a toss up.
It gets demerits for ruining "Through the Screen Door".