Guy Clark

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

Guy Clark

Post by Smitty »

We Were From Texas: Guy Clark and the high price of inspiration

Guy Clark pushes a fading, black and white photograph across the table.
In it, a man leans against a 1939 Packard, foot propped up on the bumper in the dusty streets of Monahans, Texas. "Jack Prigg" reads the inscription on the back. He's smiling and sharply dressed in a black suit, a gleam of success in his grin. The image is striking for its sheer contrast to the portrait of Prigg immortalized in Clark's "Desper­ados Waiting for a Train," the old, busted oil-driller crying at the kitchen table to broken memories and songs.
"Well, that must have been a Sunday," laughs Clark, looking at the photo as he carefully takes a toke from the last vestiges of a joint and lets loose a rattling cough.
The workshop in the basement of Clark's west Nashville home collects such memories. His father's Randall knife sits on the workbench alongside his tools for making guitars. Behind him, shelves of cassettes with handwritten labels display a country songwriters hall of fame. A black and white photo of Townes Van Zandt, his haunted eyes somehow tracking around the room, stares down from the wall.
Clark pinches a clump of tobacco and begins rolling a cigarette. The 71-year-old songwriter's eyes sharpen as he takes in the room, his lips pursed together between the faint stains of yellow on his white mustache and goatee.
"Shit, I'd go back to Texas in a second if I could break even," he says. "But the music business is here, and if I could just pay back what they've given me, or advanced me, I would love to live in Texas. At this point, though, I don't know. I'm too fucking old to move back, pack all this shit up."
Clark's lack of sentimentality is deceiving. What the songwriter submerges in person surfaces in the deeply personal poetry of his songs, from "Desperados Waiting for a Train," to the elegy for his father in "The Randall Knife," and the title track of his new album, "My Favorite Picture of You," an ode to his wife Susanna, who passed away last year after an extended decline from cancer.
Guy and Susanna's marriage stands as one of the great relationships in music. As strongly devoted as it was tumultuous, their union and the art it produced became the locus for a new community of songwriters that emerged in the Seventies, a wave of scrappy expatriate Texans overtaking Nashville that included Steve Earle, Rodney Crowell, and most notably, Van Zandt, whose lifelong friendships with both Clarks remain inextricable from the couple's relationship.
Those days feel impossibly far away in the quiet of Clark's house as he draws slowly on his cigarette.
"If you want good friends, they're gonna cost you," he notes as he exhales a thin line of smoke.
Last edited by Smitty on Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Cole Younger

Re: We Were From Texas

Post by Cole Younger »

I enjoyed that. Great read.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Great article. I'm looking forward to the new album next week.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

acoxofrd

Post by acoxofrd »

Great article. Thanks for posting. Got his new album in the mail Saturday and gave it a good listen last night. It's a great album.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

My Favorite Picture of You has been streaming for a while but other than the title track and "Cornmeal Waltz" I've managed to steer clear of the rest of the record for all of this time. Guy's going to be playing a small venue (Reynolds Theatre) on the campus of Duke University with Mandolin Orange in October. I'm really looking forward to that as well as he doesn't come around these parts too often.

acoxofrd

Post by acoxofrd »

I've been fortunate enough to see Guy a hand full of times in Atlanta and never once seen a bad show. My favorite though has to be the one at the Variety Playhouse when he and Terry
Allen shared the stage and swapped songs and stories. Fantastic. I hope I get at least one more chance to see him live.

Kudzu Guillotine

acoxofrd wrote:I've been fortunate enough to see Guy a hand full of times in Atlanta and never once seen a bad show. My favorite though has to be the one at the Variety Playhouse when he and Terry
Allen shared the stage and swapped songs and stories. Fantastic. I hope I get at least one more chance to see him live.

Despite having been a fan since the 70's I never saw him in concert until '97 at Merlefest in North Wilkesboro, NC. This was right after Townes had passed and Guy did a set on the Hillside Stage with Steve Earle of nothing but Townes songs. The set started with "White Freightliner Blues". I understand there's a recording in circulation of that set. If so, I'd love to track it down. He also did a headlining set on the Watson Stage that weekend. The other two times I saw him in concert were in the early 00's with Verlon Thompson, once at Shady Grove in Austin, the other time was at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro with Mary Gauthier. They were playing through some crappy PA mounted in a tree at Shady Grove so the sound was far from exquisite but it was Guy Fucking Clark so it didn't really matter. The moment that stands out for me about the Cradle show is when he unplugged his guitar, strolled to the edge of the stage and did a drop dead quiet version of "The Randall Knife". I still get a shiver up the spine just thinking about it.

acoxofrd

Post by acoxofrd »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
acoxofrd wrote:I've been fortunate enough to see Guy a hand full of times in Atlanta and never once seen a bad show. My favorite though has to be the one at the Variety Playhouse when he and Terry

Despite having been a fan since the 70's I never saw him in concert until '97 at Merlefest in North Wilkesboro, NC. This was right after Townes had passed and Guy did a set on the Hillside Stage with Steve Earle of nothing but Townes songs. The set started with "White Freightliner Blues". I understand there's a recording in circulation of that set. If so, I'd love to track it down. He also did a headlining set on the Watson Stage that weekend. The other two times I saw him in concert were in the early 00's with Verlon Thompson, once at Shady Grove in Austin, the other time was at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro with Mary Gauthier. They were playing through some crappy PA mounted in a tree at Shady Grove so the sound was far from exquisite but it was Guy Fucking Clark so it didn't really matter. The moment that stands out for me about the Cradle show is when he unplugged his guitar, strolled to the edge of the stage and did a drop dead quiet version of "The Randall Knife". I still get a shiver up the spine just thinking about it.

I would love to find a copy of the show where he did nothing but Townes songs. I can't imagine how great that would be to hear. Crappy sound systems don't usually get in the way of a great Guy show. He's unbelievably good no matter what.

Smitty

Guy Clark

Post by Smitty »

http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2013 ... ng-legend/

“When I got my first record deal, with RCA, I made a whole record with the producer they assigned to me, and by the end of it I said, ‘Man, if you put this record out, I will change my name. I will not be associated.’ Rodney (Crowell) heard what was happening, heard the record and said, ‘Guy, this ain’t you. Let me help you, and we’ll get another budget, go into the studio with Neil Wilburn and beg, borrow and steal pickers and studio time until we get something you can live with.

“This was not an easy decision to make. I had no power, other than to put my foot down and scream, which was what I did. I said to RCA, ‘No, man, you are not going to make me put this out. It’s not what I do.’ They’d say, ‘Oh, it’s OK. Wait’ll you hear the mix.’ ‘No, I’ve heard the mix. I’m not going to do it.’ I had to argue with everyone involved. I had a manager, and the only good thing he ever did for me was back me on this. He put his foot down and said, ‘No, Mr. Clark is not pleased, and he will not be associated.’

“Rodney and I and Neil Wilburn stole the master tapes out of the vault at RCA, went to some studio, remixed and overdubbed some things and cut some things and recorded some new things, and there it was: ‘Old No. 1.’ When we were done, you really couldn’t argue with it. They were great songs. Playboy magazine reviewed mine in the same issue as Willie Nelson’s ‘Red Headed Stranger.’ My review was better than his. Willie recovered.”
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Hud

Post by Hud »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Was this when he and Steve Earle took turns playing and Molly O'brian played after? One of my favorite memories of any Merlefest. That was the best of the several slots he did at Merlefest that year. A buddy told me that stage is no longer there.
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Kudzu Guillotine

Hud wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Was this when he and Steve Earle took turns playing and Molly O'brian played after? One of my favorite memories of any Merlefest. That was the best of the several slots he did at Merlefest that year. A buddy told me that stage is no longer there.

It could have been though Steve and Guy were back again in '99. However, that was the last time Earle was invited back. I believe there was some falling out with Del McCoury that may have affected his relationship with Doc though I'm not entirely positive about that, it may have had something to do with language he used during one of his performances. From what I understand the Hillside Stage is still happening as that's where they have the Album Hour every year where some band will perform a famous album in it's entirety.

Here's a photo from '97, there's more from that year and '99 here.

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Guy Clark

I usually don't pay a whole lot of attention to sales figures or chart positions but in the case of Guy Clark, an unsung hero if ever there was such a thing, I think it's very cool to see.

From All Eyes Media:

Upon its July 23rd release, My Favorite Picture Of You sold more in its first week (5593 units) than any album in Clark’s celebrated career. The album debuted at #62 on the Billboard Top 200 chart, #12 on the Country chart (both highest-ever debuts for Clark), #19 on the Indie Chart and #5 on the Folk Chart.

To read the entire article, click here.

cortez the killer

Good to see Guy getting his due. For what it's worth (and based on TC's depressing graph, not much), his album was the 2nd best seller on eMusic today. I saw Guy in '08 in The Berkshires. I had just undergone septoplasty surgery the week before. It was a 2 1/2 hour drive. I went to dinner and the my nose started to bleed badly. My wife wanted to call it a night. I refused. I was not missing Guy "fucking" Clark in New England. I shoved several napkins up my nostrils and we drove 2 1/2 hours Northwest. Caught the last 2/3rd's of his set and the fucking guy (no pun indented) made my year. Exudes all manner of authenticity. Tears streamed down my cheeks all night. Was an incredible experience. I love the power of music. It dominated me that night and I have an authentic Guy Clark Homegrown Tomatoes t-shirt to prove it.
- DPM

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Another interview from Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-rago ... 77820.html

Kudzu Guillotine

Just a heads up for those that were planning to see Guy in Durham in October, the show has been cancelled.

We regret to report that Guy Clark has cancelled his appearance at Duke Performances in R.J. Reynolds Theater on Friday, October 11.

Mr. Clark is ill and unable to perform; unfortunately, we will not be rescheduling his performance. In addition, we were not able to procure an appropriate replacement, so we are canceling the Friday, October 11 presentation altogether.

To request a refund or to exchange your tickets to another Duke Performances event, please contact the Duke University Box Office by Tuesday, October 1. If you purchased these tickets using a credit card and wish to receive a refund, please have your card ready when calling; in order to best maintain online financial security, the Duke University Box Office does not store credit card information. If you have any questions, please contact the Duke University Box Office at 919-684-4444 weekdays 11am-6pm.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this cancellation causes; the circumstances, in this case, were entirely beyond our control. We do hope you will join us for other presentations on Duke Performances 2013/2014 season.

cortez the killer

In light of this announcement, between his lymphoma & the recent passing of his wife, I'm very concerned about Guy Clark.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

cortez the killer wrote:In light of this announcement, between his lymphoma & the recent passing of his wife, I'm very concerned about Guy Clark.

I'd say the same. I have a friend that saw him perform not long ago that said he had no business on stage. That wasn't said as a slight by the way, it was said out of concern. In one of the recent interviews I've read with him he said he was refusing any further cancer treatments. There's also the recent knee surgeries, all of which I'm sure play a part. Whether he reschedules or not, I do hope he's able to heal up and get back on his feet. The world needs Guy Clark.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:In light of this announcement, between his lymphoma & the recent passing of his wife, I'm very concerned about Guy Clark.

I'd say the same. I have a friend that saw him perform not long ago that said he had no business on stage. That wasn't said as a slight by the way, it was said out of concern. In one of the recent interviews I've read with him he said he was refusing any further cancer treatments. There's also the recent knee surgeries, all of which I'm sure play a part. Whether he reschedules or not, I do hope he's able to heal up and get back on his feet. The world needs Guy Clark.

I saw him a year ago in Nashville and he didn't seem to be in good shape at all. He could barely walk as a result of his knee problems. With that said: when he started playing it was Guy Fucking Clark and the night was amazing.

Kudzu Guillotine

This is a link to a review of a show he did back in March at Crighton Theatre in Conroe, Texas. Someone I know that was there said the reviewer left out what were a lot of the rougher moments for Guy. By the way, none of this is meant to be a slight towards him. If anything, I find it a wonder that he's even been able to perform in recent months.

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

Man...tough news for me to even begin to fathom.
Townes was in my f'ed up estimation like a father to me.....Guy like an uncle.
They were and are that important to my musical catalog. I've lost many of my musical heroes.....Townes, Jerry, Stevie Ray, Waylon, etc.....Godamn...I am not ready to lose Guy.
"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

Kudzu Guillotine

This was posted on Guy's Facebook page yesterday:

Thanks to everyone for sending the sweet well-wishes to Guy. He had some surgery yesterday and is on the mend! Keep the good thoughts flowing! You all are the best.

In more good news he's going to be given a Poet's Award by the Academy of Country Music at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville on September 10th. If I understand correctly, Robert Earl Keen is going to do the honors.

Kudzu Guillotine

Guy Clark and Verlon Thompson at the Tennessee State Museum on February 17, 2012.

Kudzu Guillotine

From Texas Monthly:

He Ain't Going Nowhere
AS THE GODFATHER OF NASHVILLE SONGWRITERS, GUY CLARK HAS SURVIVED MORE THAN FORTY YEARS OF LATE-NIGHT PARTYING AND ARDUOUS TOURING—AND SUFFERED THE LOSS OF THOSE HE LOVED MOST. YET SOMEHOW HIS GENIUS IS AS SHARP AS EVER.

PHOTOGRAPHS BY WYATT MCSPADDEN

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:From Texas Monthly:

He Ain't Going Nowhere
AS THE GODFATHER OF NASHVILLE SONGWRITERS, GUY CLARK HAS SURVIVED MORE THAN FORTY YEARS OF LATE-NIGHT PARTYING AND ARDUOUS TOURING—AND SUFFERED THE LOSS OF THOSE HE LOVED MOST. YET SOMEHOW HIS GENIUS IS AS SHARP AS EVER.

Amazing read, thanks for posting Kudzu.

Kudzu Guillotine

3milelake wrote:

He Ain't Going Nowhere

It may well be the single best feature I've ever read on Guy, it was definitely the most informative. I knew of his health woes and Susanna's illness but not in the sort of detail that's mentioned here. Not to mention all the positive stuff as well. I also loved the bit about all of his identical denim shirts.

Kudzu Guillotine

On the Guy tip, I just learned of this, a screening of a 1989 episode of the Showtime series Coast To Coast that featured Guy, John Hiatt, John Prine and Joe Ely. The screening takes place tomorrow afternoon at 2 pm at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum in Nashville. I'm not sure what else may be out there on YouTube but I did find this clip from it:

Film Screening: Coast to Coast featuring Guy Clark, Joe Ely, John Hiatt, and John Prine (1989)

This intimate guitar pull was part of the Marlboro Country Music Festival in Chicago, and was filmed for the Showtime series Coast to Coast in front of a live audience at the Vic Theater. "Homegown Tomatoes," "Drive South," "Me and Billy the Kid," and "Paradise" are a few of the classic songs featured. Presented in support of the Museum's new spotlight exhibit John Prine: It Took Me Years to Get These Souvenirs. Made possible by Iron Mountain Film and Sound Archives. Takes place in the Museum's Ford Theater. 60 minutes. Free.

The educational programs of the Country Music Hall of Fame® and Museum, Hatch Show Print, and Historic RCA Studio B are funded in part by grants from the Tennessee Arts Commission and the Metropolitan Nashville Arts Commission, through an agreement with the Tennessee Arts Commission and the National Endowment for the Arts.

cortez the killer

3milelake wrote:

He Ain't Going Nowhere

x2
- DPM

jr29

Post by jr29 »

cortez the killer wrote:
3milelake wrote:

He Ain't Going Nowhere

x2

Wow. Thanks so much for that.
Thanks as well for the heads up on the film screening tomorrow. I may try to head downtown and check it out.

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Let Him Roll circa 1980-ish?? Odd to see Guy with a full band. Great rendition.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

What's a good entry point for Clark's catalog? I'm woefully unfamiliar other than the stuff Jerry Jeff covers.