Guy Clark

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

jr29

Re: Guy Clark

Post by jr29 »

Iowan wrote:What's a good entry point for Clark's catalog? I'm woefully unfamiliar other than the stuff Jerry Jeff covers.

I would say start at the beginning, "Old No. 1". Ten songs and they are all absolutely flawless. It is one of my favorite records ever.

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Iowan wrote:What's a good entry point for Clark's catalog? I'm woefully unfamiliar other than the stuff Jerry Jeff covers.

Only my opinion:

Old No. 1
Texas Cookin'
Dublin Blues
Cold Dog Soup

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Guy released a live album a few years ago called "Songs And Stories" and the version of "Dublin Blues" he does on the album may be my favorite single thing Guy has done, ever. Be sure to check it out.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Thanks!

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Imma recommend Texas Cookin' but mainly because that's where my journey with Guy began. It's really hard to go wrong with any of those early records (not that there's anything to do with the latter ones). For years, I overlooked his self-titled album, then I came across a collection called The Craftsman that included that one, The South Coast of Texas and Better Days.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Old No. 1
Heartworn Highways soundtrack/documentary is essential, too.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

On the Old No. 1 tip, Dualtone is re-releasing it on vinyl and is taking pre-orders now. It comes out on February 18th. More info here.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

What do you guys think about including this thread in the Artist/Feature of the Week index?
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Kudzu Guillotine

bovine knievel wrote:What do you guys think about including this thread in the Artist/Feature of the Week index?

I'm not sure how everyone else feels but I'm ok with threads such as this being independent of the Artist/Feature of the Week index. Unless, of course someone wants to do one on Guy.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:What do you guys think about including this thread in the Artist/Feature of the Week index?

I'm not sure how everyone else feels but I'm ok with threads such as this being independent of the Artist/Feature of the Week index. Unless, of course someone wants to do one on Guy.

I think we should have a vote on that. Or a poll. :D
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Kudzu Guillotine

Haven't anything about Guy Clark in a while. Looks like this was just published by The Tennessean today.

Guy Clark presses play and lets memories flow

Kudzu Guillotine

Somehow, this CD and DVD that were recorded in 1984 managed to slip by me that were released last year. Anyone listened to or watched them? Evidently Amazon is selling an abbreviated version of the DVD but you can order the complete version from this site.

Disc One: Set #1
Homegrown Tomatoes
L.A. Freeway
Texas 1947
Heartbroke
Anyhow, I Love You
The Carpenter
She Ain't Going Nowhere
New Cut Road
Who Do You Think You Are
Desperadoes Waiting for a Train
Let Him Roll
Texas Cookin'

Disc Two: Set #2
Rita Ballou
Virginia's Real
Fools for Each Other
Supply and Demand
Indian Cowboy
Broken Hearted People
Like a Coat from the Cold
The Last Gunfighter Ballad
Calf Rope
Partner Nobody Chose
She's Crazy for Leaving
That Old Time Feeling
South Coast of Texas
Randall Knife
In the Jailhouse Now
No Deal

Kudzu Guillotine

I'd sure love for someone to make old episodes of Austin City Limits available to the public. The entire archive now belongs to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. No telling if any of the old episodes will ever be released. I know New West has released some episodes (old and new) over the years. I wish they'd make all of them available as I'd especially enjoy seeing stuff like Guy Clark's first appearance on there (shown briefly in the clip below).

Kudzu Guillotine

Guy is 74 today.

Kudzu Guillotine

Due in October with a documentary still to come (also from Tamara Saviano).

Photo by Jim McGuire

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

every time I see this thread come up my heart stops and I catch my breath a little bit.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

psychobillycadillac wrote:every time I see this thread come up my heart stops and I catch my breath a little bit.
I just saw your post here and had the same emotion.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

I am never sure whether to post an entirely new thread or to contribute to existing ones. I usually opt for the latter to avoid duplicate threads/clutter.

There was news circulating late last week on FB that Guy was in hospice. I did not repost that information publicly because I was unable to find an official source. Turns out, folks that had signed up for author/filmmaker Tamara Saviano's Kickstarter campaign were told he was in a nursing home and would be coming home to receive hospice care but were asked not to share that news publicly. Apparently, some folks did not heed that warning and rumors began to circulate. Apparently to the point where she felt like she had to address it.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
psychobillycadillac wrote:every time I see this thread come up my heart stops and I catch my breath a little bit.
I just saw your post here and had the same emotion.
x3

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

This thread sent me down a YouTube Guy Clark rabbit hole. A little bit of goodness right here!

Kudzu Guillotine

North Carolina's Mipso covering "Dublin Blues."

OS Sessions: Mipso
Mipso might be only a few years out of college, but the band has already taken its old-time folk sound around the world — and it isn’t not slowing down any time soon.

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

Townes and Guy will always hold a very special place in my heart. I miss Townes terribly, and dread the day we lose Guy.

"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

Mekaus

Post by Mekaus »

DiamondDave wrote:Townes and Guy will always hold a very special place in my heart. I miss Townes terribly, and dread the day we lose Guy.

Wow! What a great photo and the picture mailed from Guy Clark is very cool. Those are personal treasures that are priceless!

Kudzu Guillotine

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
I was at this one. Great weekend in West Texas for sure.
"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

Kudzu Guillotine

I only saw Guy four times: Merlefest (two performances, one with Steve Earle) after Townes passed, Cat's Cradle with Verlon Thompson (with Mary Gauthier opening) and Shady Grove in Austin (also with Verlon) and treasure each and every one. He was supposed to play at Duke University three years ago with Mandolin Orange but canceled due to his declining health. To my knowledge, he never gave another public performance after that.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I only saw Guy four times: Merlefest (two performances, one with Steve Earle) after Townes passed, Cat's Cradle with Verlon Thompson (with Mary Gauthier opening) and Shady Grove in Austin (also with Verlon) and treasure each and every one. He was supposed to play at Duke University three years ago with Mandolin Orange but canceled due to his declining health. To my knowledge, he never gave another public performance after that.
I only saw him once. It was around 4 years ago at 3rd and Lindsley in Nashville. Verlon Thompson and shawn camp joined him and it was a special night. Townes' widow and son were in the audience.
Guy was sweet, engaging and ornery all at the same time. We got the "storyteller" version of several songs. "Desperadoes" being one of them.
It had to have been one of his last shows and I feel very fortunate to have been there.