stoner records

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dime in the gutter

stoner records

Post by dime in the gutter »

rolling stone top 40.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-40-greatest-stoner-albums-20130607

i'll throw the following out for consumption with a chocolate chip cookie and a big old glass of milk.

junior kimbrough/most things haven't worked out
earthless/rhythms from a cosmic sky
anything by the meters
led zep/houses of holy
japancakes/sleepy strange

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: stoner records

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

dime in the gutter wrote:Image

rolling stone top 40.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-40-greatest-stoner-albums-20130607

i'll throw the following out for consumption with a chocolate chip cookie and a big old glass of milk.

junior kimbrough/most things haven't worked out
earthless/rhythms from a cosmic sky
anything by the meters
led zep/houses of holy
japancakes/sleepy strange

I glanced through the list and didn't see any Zeppelin. You can't have a list of the top 40 stoner albums without 'em.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Not gonna wax philosophical about the lack of Yes or Rush or Zep or even the unforgivable omission of Spirit - 12 Dreams of Dr. Sargonicus.
The bottom line is, if it's good music, weed makes it better.
If the music sucks, then its suckiness is accentuated by the weed.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

What a goofy list. Not that I haven't ummm partaken while listening to some of those, I just find it incredibly random.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:What a goofy list. Not that I haven't ummm partaken while listening to some of those, I just find it incredibly random.

My thoughts.

No QOTSA? No King Crimson? No Little Feat/Lowell George?

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Iowan wrote:No QOTSA?

Very odd, seeing as Josh Homme is credited as a pioneer of Stoner Rock, whatever that is.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:
Iowan wrote:No QOTSA?

Very odd, seeing as Josh Homme is credited as a pioneer of Stoner Rock, whatever that is.

I suppose they figured a Kyuss inclusion was all they needed to cover the Homme base, but his work with Queens is definitely "next level" type stuff.

Its Rolling Stone. I don't know why I'm acting surprised.

Clams

Post by Clams »

If you don't run you rust

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Oh, come on, people! Ramp up your game a little!

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

One of my all-time stoner records was Black Sabbath's Master of Reality. Over and over.
Not forever, just for now.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Peter Tosh's Legalize it is not #1? No Grateful Dead?? Whatevah.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Silly subject, silly list.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

blackwll wrote:Peter Tosh's Legalize it is not #1? No Grateful Dead?? Whatevah.

Live Dead is in there. For whatever it's worth, this ties in with Rolling Stone's current weed issue. I think a part of their reasoning with lists such as this is for their oversights and choices in general to generate controversy and hits for their website. I'd rather see some actual thought go into them instead.

dime in the gutter

beantownbubba wrote:Silly subject

why you mad, bro?

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

dime in the gutter

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

dime in the gutter wrote:Image

graveyard is a great stoner band.

and i can tell you from many experiences that OM is a band to light up and get it on to.

Hud

Post by Hud »

The adventures of panama red.....NRPS
Sinsemilla......Black Uhuru
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dime in the gutter wrote:

why you mad, bro?

no problem, mon.

dime in the gutter

beantownbubba wrote:

why you mad, bro?

no problem, mon.

weak sauce.

you don't like sabbath or zep or qotsa or any of the others mentioned? I have no doubt that you once owned a black light, a velvet poster or 2 and a pair of headphones.

lots of good nuggity music to be mined.

dime in the gutter

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:why you mad, bro?

no problem, mon.

weak sauce.

you don't like sabbath or zep or qotsa or any of the others mentioned? I have no doubt that you once owned a black light, a velvet poster or 2 and a pair of headphones.

lots of good nuggity music to be mined.

You've lost me dime. It has nothing to do w/ liking (or not) any particular type of music, any particular musician or any particular album. Nor am I trying to deny any particular aspect of my past. The topic strikes me as silly because to my way of thinking, virtually all music is "stoner music" to someone - i.e. music they especially enjoy when they're stoned. Unless the label means something else, e.g. songs about getting stoned or songs about listening to music when stoned. Or maybe it's music that only sounds good when you're stoned. Or maybe it's music particularly conducive to maximizing the mind expanding possibilities of various substances, which again probably covers pretty much all music, at least to some listener somewhere. So, to me, the topic seems so amorphous and all-encompassing as to be, well, silly. I don't get why that bugs you so much, but please feel free to carry on. I didn't mean to harsh your mellow. FWIW, the first thing I thought of when i read "stoner records" was The Mahavishnu Orchestra's The Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of Fire. From what i can tell, that seems pretty far from what other people consider to be "stoner records."

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I would never get stoned and listen to Yanni. I think that would be bad. Of course I think listening to Yanni is bad in all cases so take that as you will.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

beantownbubba wrote:You've lost me dime. It has nothing to do w/ liking (or not) any particular type of music, any particular musician or any particular album. Nor am I trying to deny any particular aspect of my past. The topic strikes me as silly because to my way of thinking, virtually all music is "stoner music" to someone - i.e. music they especially enjoy when they're stoned. Unless the label means something else, e.g. songs about getting stoned or songs about listening to music when stoned. Or maybe it's music that only sounds good when you're stoned. Or maybe it's music particularly conducive to maximizing the mind expanding possibilities of various substances, which again probably covers pretty much all music, at least to some listener somewhere. So, to me, the topic seems so amorphous and all-encompassing as to be, well, silly. I don't get why that bugs you so much, but please feel free to carry on. I didn't mean to harsh your mellow. FWIW, the first thing I thought of when i read "stoner records" was The Mahavishnu Orchestra's The Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of Fire. From what i can tell, that seems pretty far from what other people consider to be "stoner records."

I think the first time I ever heard the phrase it was "Stoner Metal" and it was a reference to a band called Monster Magnet. Fu Manchu also seemed to fit the bill. This would have been back in the early to mid-90's. With that sound in mind, I could see how Steppenwolf, Zeppelin, Sabbath, etc. could also fall into that category.

dime in the gutter

beantownbubba wrote:You've lost me dime. It has nothing to do w/ liking (or not) any particular type of music, any particular musician or any particular album. Nor am I trying to deny any particular aspect of my past. The topic strikes me as silly because to my way of thinking, virtually all music is "stoner music" to someone - i.e. music they especially enjoy when they're stoned. Unless the label means something else, e.g. songs about getting stoned or songs about listening to music when stoned. Or maybe it's music that only sounds good when you're stoned. Or maybe it's music particularly conducive to maximizing the mind expanding possibilities of various substances, which again probably covers pretty much all music, at least to some listener somewhere. So, to me, the topic seems so amorphous and all-encompassing as to be, well, silly. I don't get why that bugs you so much, but please feel free to carry on. I didn't mean to harsh your mellow. FWIW, the first thing I thought of when i read "stoner records" was The Mahavishnu Orchestra's The Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of Fire. From what i can tell, that seems pretty far from what other people consider to be "stoner records."

i'm not bothered....just busting balls.

this is just one or another thread, from a very, very long list of them......predicated on defining the undefinable. it's what we do here. don't over think it. or over think it if you like. i promise you won't kill my buzz.

don't be a square. free your mind and post up on whatever music you think fits this thread.

here's a new agey, recorded live on foreign soil, jazz touchstone that certainly fits, in my mind.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I agree with BTB - when I'm stoned I usually find myself listening to old country records, not what anyone would call "stoner music", but I also kinda understand what they're looking for. Sublime is a great band to smoke to.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

dime in the gutter

say, that reminds me....

i keep reading about these bad ass, hard core bands from japan. anybody got any recs?

bueller?