Todd Farrell--Where Fake Cowboys Go To Drink

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

BiloxiParish

Todd Farrell--Where Fake Cowboys Go To Drink

Post by BiloxiParish »

Over in the other bands forum user Smitty pointed this out

Smitty wrote:Image

Some of the most blatant plagiarism I've ever heard on "A Ghost to...err I mean "Hey Julie".
http://toddfarrell.bandcamp.com/album/w ... o-to-drink

Is Cooley or DBT aware of this?

When I heard the song all I could hear was Cooley singing and nothing else. I am not sure who Farrell is or if he has any connections DBT at all, but the similarities is mind blowing to me.
Last edited by BiloxiParish on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GW in IA

Re: Can we discuss this here? Todd Farrell and A Ghost To Mo

Post by GW in IA »

Holy shit :shock:
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

complete and total ripoff...as a wannabe songwriter I know it's possible to accidentally create something that is close to someone else's work. I once wrote a song that turns out was musically similar to a Ringo Starr song (I had never actually heard the song at least not that I was aware of, but someone else pointed it out to me later)...but this has the same progression, the same phrasing...it's way to close to be accidental....

he also has a tune on the bandcamp site called "9 bullets" which besides having the title being a rip from DBT has a riff that is definitely stolen too...but I can't place the name or band the song is from...

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

Maybe he will give Cooley a shoutout or something, but there is no way it could just be a coincidence in my mind.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Nobody makes bridges that size...
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

rlipps

Re: Can we discuss this: Todd Farrell rips off A Ghost To Mo

Post by rlipps »

I just let my wife, who is the farthest thing from a music fan, listen to this. Even she was able to notice it right off the bat and started singing the lyrics to A Ghost to Most.

gerg

Post by gerg »

Yeah, that's not an accident. Ironic album title considering what we're discussing here.

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

So is there anyway to let Cooley know about this or do you think he already knows?

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Wow.

From the liner notes: "Not much beats good old Southern rock and Todd Farrell is part of the new breed of Southern rockers that are lighting up ears all over the South."

First I heard of the new breed of southern rockers. Bound to happen that a slew of young bands influenced by DBT would come along. But how would anyone who knows this guy let him record that song as his own? Same chord progression, same riff over the chord progression and an almost identical melody. Why didn't anybody stop this guy? Letting him release this song only makes him look like a damn fool. But if Neil Young survived lifting the riff to "Satisfaction" his first time out maybe this kid will too.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

Cooley should call up Isbell on how to not handle the situation.

Flea

Post by Flea »

My Sweet Lord, that is blatant.
Now it's dark.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Just wow. The whole song is a ripoff, "Home" only stole the chorus from Razor Town. Will be interesting to see how/if Cooley reacts.
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

I emailed the banned handlers or whoever runs the email of info@Drivebytruckers.com with a link to the band camp site just for a FYI I'm sure they already know though.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

My guess is that the band knew about this way before any of us did
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

BiloxiParish should be on retainer. Impressive work, young jedi.
- DPM

buddymo

Post by buddymo »

This guy deserves to be Twitter-bombed. Cooley would never pull an Isbell on this, but we can.

https://twitter.com/ToddFarrellJr

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Listen, I'd leave the confronting alone. We all heard it, we know what it is, everything else is the business of others. I don't see how Twitter bombing helps.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Show a little compassion for the kid. This guy is not even at the level where his band opens for bands that have opened for Drive By Truckers. He is not likely to make any money off this record. Conscious or not, he made a mistake. Putting that song on an album only makes him look foolish especially since DBT fans are the people he needs to connect with to have an audience. Somebody -- a producer, an engineer, a soundman, a fan -- should have stopped him from doing this.

A kind word from Patterson or Cooley at this point would do a whole lot more for him than anything else. They have been where he is, a young artist playing for a dozen people a night hoping to get noticed. This isn't the same as Dierks Bentley having a number one hit with a chorus lifted from Jason Isbell. It is a kid who made a mistake.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

Yeah, Twitter bombing isn't gonna do anything at this point. It's not like he's making money off of this record. I don't know the guy. He's a friend of some friends of mine, though. Hell, he may be a member here for all that I know. I don't really have any idea.

Let's just leave whatever happens with this (if anything happens at all, really. ) to the band.

cortez the killer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Listen, I'd leave the confronting alone. We all heard it, we know what it is, everything else is the business of others. I don't see how Twitter bombing helps.

There's nothing like a gang of internet tough guys setting the record straight in the name of justice. You must be a Communist, TC.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

This is why Twitter sucks

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I read the liner notes. This is why nobody stopped the kid.

credits

released 29 May 2012
All words and music by Todd Farrell. Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, piano, BS, and other noise performed by Todd Farrell. Engineered and mixed by Todd Farrell. Produced by Todd Farrell. Mastered by Jason Kyle Saitveit. Recorded, mixed and mastered at Arcade Studios, Kingston Springs, TN.

This is just a self recorded thing he put on bandcamp. Here is a very ironic section of the liner notes, however: Todd Farrell is a talented singer/songwriter and in an environment where TV shows and media conglomerates mass produce singers like a copy machine, it is refreshing to listen to new original music like his."

My guess he pulls that song off of band mix. He really should replace it with a cover of "A Ghost To Most". He did a pretty competent version of it.

rockreid

Post by rockreid »

RevMatt wrote:I read the liner notes. This is why nobody stopped the kid.

credits

released 29 May 2012
All words and music by Todd Farrell. Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, piano, BS, and other noise performed by Todd Farrell. Engineered and mixed by Todd Farrell. Produced by Todd Farrell. Mastered by Jason Kyle Saitveit. Recorded, mixed and mastered at Arcade Studios, Kingston Springs, TN.

This is just a self recorded thing he put on bandcamp. Here is a very ironic section of the liner notes, however: Todd Farrell is a talented singer/songwriter and in an environment where TV shows and media conglomerates mass produce singers like a copy machine, it is refreshing to listen to new original music like his."

My guess he pulls that song off of band mix. He really should replace it with a cover of "A Ghost To Most". He did a pretty competent version of it.

I commented on their/his FB page and said that it sounded a lot like 'Ghost to Most' and to their/his credit, they did respond and chalked it up to an "oh shit moment" and "imitation and flattery" "retrospectively" so they/he knows. I'm with you RevMatt and TC, it's no where even close to what Bentley did or 'didn't' do And, I'm sure Cooley probably could care less. A wolf doesn't worry about sheep when they're sleeping.

claretkid

Post by claretkid »

Cooley's got nothing on this kid!! :o

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

At least the chorus is different :lol:

ford911

Post by ford911 »

That's amazing.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

OK, fine.

But can we still Glitter Bomb him? Seems like that would piss a fake cowboy right the F off.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Beebs wrote:OK, fine.

But can we still Glitter Bomb him? Seems like that would piss a fake cowboy right the F off.

:lol:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

They say there is nothing original in music anymore, everything's been done before and everyone rips someone off at some point but..................Umm, yeah, it's obvious that this is a copy of Ghost To Most. It's the same chord progression and vocal phrasing as that song.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

BostonREB

Post by BostonREB »

Wow! That's not even a subtle rip-off. Vanilla Ice has nothing on him.
Send lawyers, guns and money....