Artist of the Week: 5/6/13 - The Backsliders

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Artist of the Week: 5/6/13 - The Backsliders

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

The Backsliders: Hardcore Honky Tonk From Raleigh, NC

Danny Kurtz, Brad Rice, Chip Robinson, Steve Howell and Jeff "JD" Dennis

"Someone asked what we sound like and I said, 'Man, just hard-core honky-tonk.' We called it that before anybody could call it something else. . . . We're still just a bar band, pretty much."
- Backsliders co-founder Chip Robinson to Rick Cornell from an interview that originally appeared in Music Monitor, a magazine published by the now defunct Record Exchange chain.

Along with Six String Drag and Whiskeytown, the Backsliders are often referred to as part of the “Holy Trinity” of the Triangle area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) alternative country music scene of the 1990’s. As fate would have it, it was Whiskeytown that went on to greener pastures and become the most well known of the three. In these parts, the Backsliders are still spoken about in a fevered tone by those that were eyewitness to their shows, which have gone on to become the stuff of legend. During their short reign, they released three albums on Mammoth Records: a live EP, From Raleigh, NC (1996), their first full length, Throwin’ Rocks at the Moon (1997) and the follow up, Southern Lines (1999). These are all great albums and are well worth seeking out but it only takes one listen to From Raleigh, NC to pick up on the fact that the Backsliders were best experienced in concert and that the raw power of their live shows simply couldn’t be captured on their studio albums. That’s not by any means a slight as Throwin’ Rocks at the Moon and Southern Lines are both fine records.

Backsliders circa Southern Lines: Chip Robinson, Roger Gupton, Terry Anderson, Mike Krause and Rob Farris

After sessions for Southern Lines were completed, it took nearly a year and a half for it to finally be released. By the time it came out, Steve Howell had joined John Howie’s more traditional country leaning Two Dollar Pistols and Danny Kurtz and Brad Rice were gigging with Ryan Adams and Whiskeytown, leaving Chip Robinson as the only member of the band. As Southern Lines hit store shelves Chip had put together a new line up but it wasn’t too much longer before they disbanded altogether. Chip said he was retiring but in lieu of that, he continued to perform solo. In the intervening years, prior to unleashing his first solo effort in 2009 (Mylow) he assembled a number of new bands, including the Anti-Carpetbaggers League, the Heavy Beat Outfit and the Vibekillers (the latter of which is still active) that performed a mixture of covers and Backsliders originals. Steve Howell also continued to stay active musically, eventually leaving the Two Pistols to form his own bands. However, none of these new groups seemed to have the pull of the original Backsliders.

Backsliders 2012: Steve Howell, Chip Robinson, Jeff "JD" Dennis, Danny Kurtz and Greg Rice
This was taken at the Pour House in Raleigh on 12.15.12, the day after the tragic shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, CT. Before the show got underway, Chip Robinson requested a moment of silence in honor of the victims of the massacre.
(Photo by Willa Stein)

The Backsliders had various line ups over the years but what is considered to be the “classic” one consisted of Robinson (vocals/guitar), Howell (vocals/guitar), Brad Rice (guitar), Danny Kurtz (bass/backing vocals) and Jeff “JD” Dennis (drums). Chip even reassembled the Backsliders a few times, albeit without Steve Howell or Brad Rice. That all changed in 2003 when he, Howell, and the other members from the classic line up (except for Brad Rice) appeared on stage together for the first time since 1999 as part of a benefit in Raleigh for Alejandro Escovedo to help defer medical costs as Escovedo was battling Hepatitis C at the time. Then, seemingly out of the blue, Chip, Howell, Kurtz and Dennis got back together for a benefit at Slim’s Downtown Distillery in Raleigh in late 2012 billed as the “Robinson/Howell Quartet”. With Brad Rice relocated to Austin, he was unable to attend. Ever since that show, the Backsliders, now aided and abetted by Greg Rice (no relation) of the Olympic Ass Kickin’ Team and the Cartridge Family on keys, have done a handful of shows with more scheduled for this summer (including a much coveted slot at Raleigh’s annual Hopscotch Music Festival in September). Though unconfirmed, rumors have been swirling about new material. They have also launched a new website that you can access here. In addition, they’ve also made Hicktopia available as an EP, which you can download for free here (though I’m sure they would greatly appreciate a donation to their tip jar). Hicktopia was the original working title for Southern Lines but was dropped when the album was retooled at the request of Mammoth Records. The Hicktopia that exists as a full length album consists of the original, raw mixes. The EP includes five tracks, all of them previously unreleased. Four of the tracks didn’t make the cut at all and have never been heard before. The opening song, “Abe Lincoln”, is the only one that made it onto Southern Lines out of those five. However, this is the original version.

That is the Backsliders’ story in a nutshell. I plan to continue to update and expand this original post with links, videos clips and a mix so be sure to keep an eye out for updates. Thanks to Rick Cornell, Lisa Lewis, Van Alston, Craig Zearfoss and others too numerous to mention for helping me piece together the history of this band. Most of all, I’d like to thank the members of the Backsliders, past, present and future for the music. Yep!

Discography
Released in 1992 on the Grim Reminder label. This is a split 7" with the Backsliders doing "The Lonely One" (which would later appear on Throwin' Rocks at the Moon). The flip is by "The Mighty King of Love", Phil Lee with his band the Sly Dogs performing "A Night In the Box". Backslider Danny Kurtz (as well as his brother, Record Store Day co-founder, Michael Kurtz), were at one time members of the Sly Dogs. Danny still performs with them on occasion. This is a very rare find and the first official recorded release (at least that I'm aware of) by the Backsliders.

Released in June 1996 on Fireant. In addition to two tunes from the Backsliders, this NC-centric compilation also includes cuts by Unknown Hinson, Eugene Chadborne and Zen Frisbee. The AllMusic Guide describes it as "a telling document on the hidden music of wild Appalachia, a Jack Daniels-soaked field recording". Sounds like a candidate for the weirdo, fringe alt.country thread. The Backsliders tracks are live versions of "Tulsa County" and "Cowboy Boots/Aloha Dano and Steve". "Tulsa County" was written by Pamela Polland and has been recorded by a wide variety of artists over the years from Bobby Bare to Helen Reddy. In all likelihood, the Backsliders picked up on the Byrds' version from the Easy Rider soundtrack. A studio version of "Cowboy Boots" (originally written and recorded by Donnie Ray Ford) appears on Throwin' Rocks at the Moon. "Aloha Dano and Steve" is a cover of a tune by Australian's Radio Birdman.

Recorded at The Brewery (RIP) in Raleigh on 7.20.96. This was the Backsliders debut release on Mammoth Records, it came out in 1996. If the Triangle area had an epicenter for alt.country, a very strong case could made for it being The Brewery. Comparisons to the Armadillo World Headquarters in Austin not withstanding. The only song from this set to appear on another Backsliders album is "Hey Sheriff". Aside from "High Fashion Queen", a Chris Hilman/Gram Parsons cover, the other songs are original Backsliders compositions. "Yep!" should be played at maximum volume with no AC, just like it was recorded. In fact, it's not a bad idea to play the entire EP in that manner.

Released on 2.18.97, this is the Backsliders debut full length record. It was produced by Pete Anderson (Dwight Yoakam, Meat Puppets, Lucinda Williams, etc.) but was originally pitched to a variety of other producers including Dave Alvin, Eric "Roscoe" Ambel and Mitch Easter. Anderson was the first to reply and got the job. Though their history can be traced back to 1987 when co-founders Chip Robinson and Steve Howell could be found gigging around Raleigh under the moniker Pokin' Yoko, it took them a while to land a record deal. It was to their advantage that they were well practiced enough to have these songs down pat prior to entering the studio. While From Raleigh, NC offers a glimpse into what made the Backsliders tick as a live act, Throwin' Rocks at the Moon further showcases their ability to tackle rollicking barroom burners as well as tender ballads. It just doesn't get much more heartfelt than, "the distance from the bottle to the floor gets closer every time I drink one more" as Robinson croons in "Broken Wings". The influence of Phil Lee pops up again here in the Howell/Robinson co-write they did with him on "If I Was King". "My Baby's Gone", the opening number, sets the stage for the Backsliders' high octane blend of whiskey fueled honky tonk twang and is always a rallying call for the dance floor. The title track has long since become a concert staple and has figured very prominently into Robinson's post-Backsliders combos as well. The lone cover here is Donnie Ray Ford's "Cowboy Boots" which has served as the launching point for many a medley over the years, most often taking detours into the Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated" and Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers' "Roadrunner". When the opening notes to "Cowboy Boots" ring out, the dance floor becomes the meeting ground for square dancers and slam dancers alike. If you could ever cross a mosh pit with a rodeo, it would very closely approximate the dance floor at a Backsliders (or Vibekllers) show. It's an act no other band can follow, including the Backsliders themselves as I've never heard anyone holler out for another encore after "Cowboy Boots" as everyone has been drained of their last bit of energy.

Released on 4.27.99 and produced by Eric "Roscoe" Ambel (Joan Jett's Blackhearts, the Del-Lords, Steve Earle's Dukes, The Bottle Rockets, The Yayhoos, etc.). "Abe Lincoln" was produced by Don Dixon and recorded at Mitch Easter's Fidelitorium studio in Kernersville, NC. This song has been enjoying a bit of a second life as of late thanks to a cover by American Aquarium on their Burn.Flicker.Die. album which has also helped to bring some long overdue attention to the legacy of the Backsliders (see video clip below). Shortly after this album was released, Mammoth Records was absorbed by the Disney corporation and the Backsliders were promptly dropped from their artist roster.

Enhanced CD-ROM features include:
• Liner notes (see the Insurgent Country link under "Further Reading" below)
• The official music video for "My Baby's Gone" (the lead single from Throwin' Rocks at the Moon, there's a link to the clip under the Video section below)
• A live performance of "Number 5" recorded during Sleazefest at the Local 506 in Chapel Hill
• A live, solo acoustic version of the then unreleased "Fence" by Chip Robinson recorded at King's Barcade in Raleigh (see clip below under "Video"). "Fence" later appeared on Chip's debut solo album Mylow which was released digitally in late 2009 and on CD in February 2010 on Red River Records (now out of print).
• A live, solo acoustic version of "Angelita" by Chip Robinson recorded at King's Barcade in Raleigh

The Backsliders contribute a rendition of "Doin' What I Did" to this fine collection that also includes tunes from Rhonda Vincent, Gillian Welch, Reckless Kelly, Bonnie Bramlett and others.

A sampler of sorts taken from an album that was seemingly lost to the ages and was reconfigured for the masses as the more palatable Southern Lines, five cuts from the oft spoken about but rarely heard Hicktopia finally make an appearance. Perhaps the entire record will be made available some day and with it, the remainder of the Backsliders catalog, which is currently out of print.

Video
These first three videos include some of the earliest known footage of the Backsliders and showcase the rootsier aspects of their sound.

"Hey Sheriff", Duke Coffeehouse in Durham, NC, from the public access show Live Around Town, 1.23.94*
"You Don't Miss Your Water", Duke Coffeehouse in Durham, NC, from the public access show Live Around Town, 1.23.94*
"Nine Pound Hammer", recorded live at WXDU FM at Duke University in Durham, NC, from the public access show Live Around Town, 2.20.94*
"My Baby's Gone", official music video. This can be found on Southern Lines, which is an enhanced CD-ROM

King's Barcade, Raleigh (bonus clip from Southern Lines)

Slim's Downtown Distillery, Raleigh, 9.9.12 (Hopscotch Hangover)

Pour House, Raleigh, 12.14.12

Pour House, Raleigh, 12.14.12

Cat's Cradle, Carrboro, 3.18.13

Audio
Local 506, Chapel Hill, NC 2.1.97 (A Truer Sound)
Pour House, Raleigh, NC 12.15.12

Further Reading
The Backsliders - Hard-core Heroes of the Honky-Tonk by Rick Cornell (Gumbo Pages)
Liner notes from the enhanced bonus features from Southern Lines (Insurgent Country)
The Backsliders forge forward by Andy Turner, May 1999 (Country Standard Time)
Moore Square Park (Raleigh, NC), July 28, 2007 by Rick Cornell (No Depression)
Fan Remembrance by Scott Huler (Raleigh Quarterly)

Links
Backsliders website
Backsliders on Facebook
Backsliders on ReverbNation
Backsliders on MySpace

*Footage courtesy of Craig Zearfoss' MySpace page. More footage that Craig shot for Live Around Town can be found at this link.
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 15 times in total.

4sooner

Re: Artist of the Week: 5/6/13 - The Backsliders

Post by 4sooner »

Nice job KG. I started looking around for some of their stuff back when you were pimpin em on 9b a few years ago. I was able to find Throwing Rocks At the Moon & Southern Lines. I think Southern Lines is my favorite of the two, but both damn fine albums. Think I'll put em on for a spin right now.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I picked up Throwin' Rocks at the Moon on A Truer Sound years ago, and always enjoy it. A great album. I'll definitely be checking out Southern Lines.

Kudzu Guillotine

Thanks, y'all. Like I said, both Throwin' Rocks and Southern Lines are damn fine efforts but I think the real magic happens on stage with the Backsliders. So, if you are at all able to track down a copy of From Raleigh, NC by all means do so. The studio version of "Hey Sheriff" from Throwin' Rocks does an outstanding job of committing the more raucous side of the Backsliders to record but the one on From Raleigh, NC is downright menacing. In my research for this piece, I discovered that they actually toned down "Hey Sheriff" a bit for Throwin' Rocks. I'd love to hear that original take. Speaking of which, I'm currently at work assembling a mix to go along with this feature that will include some rare stuff that few folks outside of the diehard Backsliders faithful have ever heard. It's also really unfortunate that all of their albums, as well as Chip's Mylow are out of print. Mylow was released on Red River Records, an imprint created by Kasey Anderson. I'm guessing his recent troubles may explain why Mylow has disappeared from the face of the earth. That's a real travesty, especially considering it was just released in 2009.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

kudzu is king. always dig your style.

per the norm, expertly done across the table. you've been championing backsliders for years....now i've got a full picture of where to go and how to start.

word.

Kudzu Guillotine

Part 2: The Backsliders Cold Ride To Heaven

This description is taken from an auction on eBay that is now closed for a cassette called Cold Ride To Heaven. When I first started getting into the whole alt.country thing in the mid to late 90's, I was gifted with a copy. It includes performances from the Backsliders, Pine State, Six String Drag and Whiskeytown that was sold through Ross Grady's Cred Factory Records label. As you'll see in the description, this comes from a program Ross Grady and Tim Flaherty hosted on WKNC in Raleigh called The Smash Hits Opry. You'll probably also notice the spelling of Whiskeytown as two words. I believe that's because that's how they actually spelled it in their early days, though I don't know for sure. For more information on Ross Grady, a longtime champion of local music, click here.

If anyone is interested in the Backsliders' set please drop me a PM. I tried to use Grooveshark to share it but haven't been able to figure it out as far as importing songs from iTunes. By the way, I would love to share the entire cassette but unfortunately the Backsliders' portion is all that I have in a digital format at present.

Very RARE Live Whiskeytown cassette, possibly their first recordings!
The tape is a locally made compilation titled "Cold Ride To Heaven: The Smash Hits Opry, Jan. 28, 1995"
Released by Cred Factory Records, recording #001
The compilation has four bands: Whiskeytown, The Backsliders, Six String Drag, and Pine State.

"Smash Hits is the local music show on WKNC FM in Raleigh, NC. It's on 3-6 p.m. Saturdays, 88.1 FM.
Our Engineer for this show was Hal Hammond. Smash Hits is hosted by Tim Flaherty and Ross Grady.
This tape is Cred Factory 001. Viva La Local Rock."

Dear God what a show.

Never mind about the insane complexity of hosting four full-size bands on one three-hour show. Forget all about the stacks of guitars and amps clogging the hallways, and the funny looks from the neighbors up the hall.

Live radio and countrymusic have a long and glorious history together--we don't call our show the Smash Hits Opry for nothing. And no matter how many rocknroll bands we host, no matter what kinda bigshots come through those lavender doors, there'll never be shows better than the one you're listening to on this cassette.

Much has been made of the indie country revolution we've got going on around here, and the four bands on this tape are it. The Backsliders--good God, the Backsliders. they play Bluegrass like they were born to it, then turn right around and play an electric set that'd put any of the Triangle's great rocknroll bands to shame. Lately they've been even more rockish when they play out in clubs, but when they play Smash Hits, they know to bring the Mandolin and the High Lonesome.

Pine State evolve and mutate so quickly that it's not necessarily possible to catch a definitive performance on tape. But to my ears (ears that have heard far too much Pine State, this tape comes close to catching the sound they've always talked about making--fuzzed out and twangy all at once. Listen for the demonic metal pick-slide in "Here to Get My Baby Out of Jail" for a clue.

Six String Drag are from Clemson, SC, my hometown, and before they began, singer Kenny Roby was frontman for Raleigh's Lubricators. Here he sits with Glenn Cannon, guitarist for Six String Drag, as well as a couple of ringers from Whiskey Town, and digs into his gospel roots. If you've got any doubt about how deep they run, know that the last song they play, "Keep Climbing to His Side," was written by Kenny himself, and not some old hillcountry preacher.

Whiskey Town are the young turks of this here scene--singer Ryan Adams has only lately escaped his teens, but he's already fronted one of the great bands of our time, Patty Duke Syndrome. Whiskey Town is country, no doubt--fiddler Caitlin Cary's voice makes that very clear--but you'll hear their punk rock backgrounds seeping in all over, most obviously in their cover of Black Flag's "Nervous Breakdown."

Side One
The Backsliders
1. Tell Me Why You Been Gone So Long
2. Handsome Molly
3. Nine Pound Hammer
4. The Lonely One
5. Train to Birmingham
6. Wheels
7. Juanita
8. Pretty Boy Floyd
9. Double Shot of my Baby's Love

Pine State
10. Here to Get My Baby Out of Jail
11. Live Fast, Live Hard, Die Young
12. 100th Broken Heart
13. Moanin' The Blues
14. There Stands the Glass

Side Two
Six String Drag
1.What are They Doing in Heaven
2. The Great Speckled Bird
3. Gasoline Maybelline
4. Murder-go-round
5. Keep Climbing to His Side

Whiskey Town
6. Western Star
7. Jacksonville, City of Light
8. Young Fair Mary
9. Bed That I Bought
10. Moving on Up
11. Never Gonna Listen
12. Steal Somebody's Car
13. Nervous Breakdown

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Late to this party Kudzu. Well done as per usual. The band name is familiar because of this board, but they've somehow managed to fly just below my listening radar...Just cracked the lid on these guys today. Fantastic, right in my wheelhouse. Great choice...love new/old ear candy...

Kudzu Guillotine

3milelake wrote:Late to this party Kudzu. Well done as per usual. The band name is familiar because of this board, but they've somehow managed to fly just below my listening radar...Just cracked the lid on these guys today. Fantastic, right in my wheelhouse. Great choice...love new/old ear candy...

Thank you much. It can be a bit confusing as there's several bands out there called the Backsliders but accept no substitute...

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Good stuff KG, add another band to the never ending list of music I might not have ever gotten into if it wasn't for 9B/3DD. I've been listening to Throwing Rocks at The Moon and Southern Lines a bunch lately. I currently cannot get enough of Abe Lincoln; I always liked American Aquarium's version a lot but now I love the original. Love the nod to Brand Cadillac (famously covered by The Clash)
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Kudzu Guillotine

Gator McKlusky wrote:Good stuff KG, add another band to the never ending list of music I might not have ever gotten into if it wasn't for 9B/3DD. I've been listening to Throwing Rocks at The Moon and Southern Lines a bunch lately. I currently cannot get enough of Abe Lincoln; I always liked American Aquarium's version a lot but now I love the original. Love the nod to Brand Cadillac (famously covered by The Clash)

Thanks. I hope to add more to this thread in the near future. Either that, or do a separate Artist of the Week feature on Chip Robinson that will fill in some blanks regarding the post-Backsliders years.

Kudzu Guillotine

Just wanted to let folks know that the Records section of the official Backsliders website has been updated to include all of the albums they released on Mammoth so you can listen to them in their entirety online. If you ever happen upon any of them used, I'd suggest snatching them up as I have a feeling they'll never be reissued. Here's the link.

Kudzu Guillotine

Another taste of the Backsliders live. This is from their recent show at the Pour House in Raleigh. Their regular drummer, JD, was out with a bad back so John Howie, Jr. ($2 Pistols, Rosewood Bluff), who last sat in with them way back in '96, stepped up to fill JD's shoes and went above and beyond the call of duty. You can download the show here. For those in the Raleigh area, the next Backsliders show is going to be at Moore Square on July 20th for A Taste of Blount Street and City Market which starts at noon and goes until 8 pm.

The Backsliders
Pour House
Raleigh, NC
June 28, 2013

Chip Robinson - guitar, vocals
Steve Howell - guitar
John Howie - drums
Danny Kurtz - bass
Greg Rice - keyboards

01 My Baby's Gone
02 Throwin' Rocks at the Moon
03 Lexington Avenue
04 The Pain of Love
05 Abe Lincoln
06 Last Train
07 Don't Ask Me Why
08 Forever Came Today
09 Broken Wings
10 If You Talk to My Baby
11 Too Far Gone
12 Yep!
13 Angelina
14 Cowboy Boots/I Wanna Be Sedated (medley)
encore
15 -banter-
16 Dead Flowers

Kudzu Guillotine

The ViBeKiLLeRS (aka Chip Robinson [Backsliders], Marc Smith [Patty Hurst Shifter, Maldora, Michael Rank and Stag], Skillet Gilmore [Whiskeytown, Patty Hurst Shifter, The Small Ponds] and Dave Bartholomew [Olympic Ass Kickin' Team]) start their set on the third night of S.P.I.T.T.L.E.FEST at the Pour House in Raleigh with a cover of Alejandro Escovedo's "Paradise".

The Backsliders recently sat down with the folks from Two Quarts for a podcast. Good to hear that they've been in the studio cutting a new record. To listen to the podcast click on the image below.

Kudzu Guillotine

From Indy Week's Scan blog. I've only posted one clip, there are three more that can be found at the link below, all very much worth your time. Re: the headline below, the Backsliders will be the very last band to play at Sadlack's in Raleigh. The corner of that block (Enterprise and Hillsborough Streets across from the NCSU bell tower) is set for demolition sometime in 2014. Sad's will move to the Berkeley on Martin Street and maintain the Berkeley name. Schoolkids Records (located adjacent to Sad's) is going to reopen at the Mission Valley Shopping Center on Avent Ferry Road in 2014. Back to the Backsliders, they performed 3 new songs this past Saturday night. However, none of them are included in these clips. The first tune they performed was an instrumental that reminded me a lot of a bull fighting number. I'm including it as one of the new originals until I find out otherwise.

Videos: The Backsliders turn a creative corner, announce New Year's Eve gig at Sadlack's

Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kudzu Guillotine

Rose Higgins backed by the Backsliders for a cover of "Here Comes A Regular" at Sadlack's Heroes in Raleigh on NYE, the last night for Sadlack's (that corner of Hillsborough Street is going to be demolished soon to make way for a five story hotel). Unfortunately, I was unable to be there. Oh and for whatever it's worth, that's collard greens hanging from the ceiling on the patio.

Kudzu Guillotine

Former Backsliders guitarist Brad Rice with Lucinda Williams at Waterloo Records in Austin a couple days ago for the album release party for the reissue of her self-titled third record.

Kudzu Guillotine

This entire week, Slim's Downtown Distillery in Raleigh is celebrating their 15 anniversary with a series of shows called "Anniversapocalypse". Wednesday night, the Backsliders shared a bill with the Bleeding Hearts, El Dealer (the first band to play Slim's back when it was still called the Lakeside Lounge) and the ViBeKiLLeRS (Chip Robinson, Marc Smith, Skillet Gilmore and Dave Bartholomew). Dan Schram of Indy Week was on hand to film the Backsliders' set. They opened with a brand new instrumental song that they debuted at the Pour House in Raleigh back in December called "Twang". From what I understand, it will be part of a 5 song digital download EP of new material that should be out in late spring.

Videos: The Backsliders celebrate Slim's at 15

Kudzu Guillotine

For those in the Triangle area of NC, the Backsliders on are the verge of releasing their new EP and will be filming a video for one of the songs at Slim's Downtown on Sunday, June 8th at 8 pm. Slim's is located at 227 S. Wilmington St. in Raleigh. Y'all come.

Kudzu Guillotine

The new EP Raleighwood is now online and available for sale. Click on the image below to access it.

Kudzu Guillotine

Brand new video from the Backsliders.

Kudzu Guillotine

From the Backsliders' release party for their Raleighwood EP during the Guitartown 15th Anniversary Concerts at the Pour House in Raleigh last weekend. More clips here.

Kudzu Guillotine

New interview with guitarist Steve Howell of the Backsliders from a blog post on NoDepression.com:

Hal Bogerd-Could you talk a little bit about the early days of the Backsliders. When did you and Chip Robinson start playing together and how soon after that were the Backsliders formed?

Steve Howell-I think we first got together around 1991 or 92, acoustic guitar and mandolin. We called it The Backsliders from the start. It didn't take long till we went electric. Chip ran across a guy that had a pedal steel and we decided we were going to be Raleigh's answer to The Flying Burrito Brothers.

HB-How long was the band together the first time around? Weren't the records all released in a roughly three year period?
SH-The band morphed somewhat. We had to fire our first bass player, because he showed up shitfaced drunk for our first recording session. That yielded a split 45 with Phil Lee and The Sly Dogs featuring one Danny Kurtz. We soon pilfered him from said band. Jon Heames was our studio drummer on that recording and overdubbed the bass after the drunk bass player was dismissed. The song was "The Lonely One". I had the first verse and the chorus but just couldn't finish it. I played it for Chip and a about a week later he played the 2nd verse to me. We both knew we had something going. We asked Brad Rice to join after a couple of 5th guys. We jammed with him and we knew he was a brother. Our drummer JD (Jeff Dennis) I met through a mutual friend. Hell of a fucking drummer. We snagged him when he came back from LA where he was working on his own record deal. 5 piece band: Chip Robinson-acoustic guitar, lead vocals, Steve Howell-electric guitar,mandolin,dobro,vocals, Danny Kutrz-bass, Brad Rice-electric guitar and Jeff Dennis-drums. That line-up lasted from 1995 to 1998. That 3 year period was very hectic. We recorded Throwin' Rocks At The Moon first but it's release was put back because we got kicked to Atlantic records instead of just Mammoth. We recorded the Live At The Brewery and released it in the mean time and then we started traveling constantly. The whole thing is a blur to me now.

HB-Raleighwood is the band's first record of new material in something like 15 years. It must be rewarding that your fans were still there waiting for something new from the band.
SH-The response has been extremely kind. We have always played to what was true to us and to realize you touched someone is amazing and humbling. Feels good.

HB-You wrote the five tracks on Raleighwood. Were you the driving force in getting the project completed?
SH-I was inspired by playing with those guys again. I'm not a poet. I only write when the people around me inspire me. When Chip and I first started getting together, all of a sudden tunes started coming. This time just having us all in the same room was enough to make songs appear. I can't say enough about Greg Rice our keyboard guy and newest Backslider. Brad lives in Austin,Texas and was not available. Chip suggested Greg and two songs into the first rehearsal we asked him to join in the backsliding'.

HB-I thought you and Chip did most of the songwriting together? Any plans to write together again?
SH-Chip and I have gotten together and played stuff for each other so anything is possible. He is the only person I've ever been able to write with so it's inevitable.

HB-The only track that I wouldn't guess was a Backslider's track is "Twang". A great spaghetti western surf rock instrumental! I saw The Backsliders at The Eno Festival and it's a great way to kick off a set.
SH-I have a deep love for the Shadows and the Venture's and Pulp Fiction!

HB-Best of luck to you and the band, Steve, and don't make us wait 15 years this time!

Kudzu Guillotine

Chip Robinson's side project cover band (except when he's doing Backsliders tunes) the self-described, "World's Worst Best Rock Band", the ViBeKiLLeRS performing at S.P.I.T.T.L.E.FEST at the Pour House in Raleigh a couple weekends ago. First up is a cover of Matthew Ryan's "Sweetie" followed by "Sixteen Ways" by Green On Red. On the Matthew Ryan tip, I'm surprised to not see him mentioned around here more often, he has an excellent new album out called Boxers. In the past, the ViBeKiLLeRS have covered his song "Guilty", which you can listen to on their MySpace site along with their version of Alejandro's "Paradise".

Kudzu Guillotine

From Saturday night at the Pour House in Raleigh.

Kudzu Guillotine

Newly penned Chip Robinson bio by local scribe Rick Cornell. He done good.

If it wasn’t 20 years ago, it was damn close to it. The Backsliders, who started life as the lean, lethal, and country-leaning duo of Chip Robinson and Steve Howell but had evolved into a hardcore honky-tonk five-piece, had finished playing a house party in the wilds of Chatham County. A group of a half-dozen or so diehards who weren’t quite ready to head home were gathered at the end of the driveway around Chip, who was still sporting his battered acoustic. He had a new song, he said, one the band hadn’t tackled that night. And with that, he launched “Throwin’ Rocks at the Moon” like a bottle rocket. That moment had everything you could want in a Chip Robinson song and performance: the power strumming, the heaven-sent voice (provided, that is, heaven is a backporch – or Chatham County driveway – at 2 a.m. with a bottle making the rounds), the echoes of two Johns (Prine and Hiatt) tucked in the tune’s corners. That song, of course, went on to be the title track of the Backsliders’ 1997 release, a true alt-country landmark.

A few months after that record’s release, Chip had another new number to share. The scene was a good-cause gathering of local frontguys, with the Accelerators’ Gerald Duncan, 6 String Drag’s Kenny Roby, and Chip swapping songs. After a couple trips through the line, it was Chip’s turn again, and he hit us with the opening line “I could’ve been Abe Lincoln sportin’ $50 glasses/Standing at the bar, throwing all the girls passes.” But that was just to get our attention. There was still a “movies/Flaming Groovies” rhyme up around the bend, not to mention a recurring image for the ages: “You’re fading slow like a bloodstain on my sleeve.” “Abe Lincoln,” as you know, went on to be the centerpiece of the Backsliders’ Southern Lines in 1999, alt-country landmark part 2.

Hard to recall the date, other that it being several years post-Southern Lines, or even the place. Might have been a house concert or a Chip solo show at any number of venues. He was deep into a new one, the kind of song that hushes a crowd to sermon quiet out of fear you might miss a life-altering sentiment. Then the line came: “When I fell in love with you/ It pissed off my wife and my girlfriend too.” It's a credit to Chip's skills as a writer and performer that you nod in appreciation at that line, even while acknowledging that betrayal is nothing worth applauding. The home of that line, the song “Fence,” is, as you should know, an early-inning highlight of Chip’s solo debut, 2009’s Mylow – an emotion-heavy masterpiece that finds him navigating the wreckage of busted relationships, while the ashes of burned photos and bonfired bridges sting his eyes.

Chip’s still at it, and he hasn’t lost a step or a beat, although he looks less like a “semi-civilized Rumpelstiltskin” (in the inspired words of No Depression’s Linda Ray) these days and more like a professor whose Roots Rock course continues to pack ‘em in. Sign up. You never know what you’ll hear for the first time.

Kudzu Guillotine

Nice acoustic treatment of The Backsliders' "Never Be Your Darlin'", which originally appeared on Southern Lines. Steve Howell is lead guitarist for The Backsliders. This was recorded at a house concert in Mebane, NC last year.

Kudzu Guillotine

For those that may be interested, here's a recording of the Vibekillers Hopscotch set courtesy of nyctaper. The Vibekillers are a local bar band supergroup of sorts headed up by Chip Robinson of the Backsliders. Aside from a few Backsliders / Chip Robinson originals, their repertoire consists entirely of cover material. Other members are Marc Smith (guitar / vocals) from Patty Hurst Shifter and Maldora, Skillet Gilmore (drums) from Whiskeytown, Patty Hurst Shifter and the Small Ponds and Dave Bartholomew (bass / vocals) from Terry Anderson's Olympic Ass Kickin' Team. They were part of the Saturday line up this year that included American Aquarium, X and Dwight Yoakam.
The Vibekillers (L-R) Marc Smith, Skillet Gilmore, Chip Robinson and Dave Bartholomew
Photo from the WKNC blog

01 Paradise [Alejandro Escovedo]
02 So Old [Jeff Hart]
03 One of the Boys [Mott The Hoople]
04 I & I [Bob Dylan]
05 The Contenders [The Kinks]
06 Mylow [Chip Robinson]
07 People Who Died [The Jim Carroll Band]

Kudzu Guillotine

Chip Robinson opening for Anthony Neff and the Nearly Distants at the Pour House in Raleigh on September 27th.

The Backsliders performing at the NC State Fair on October 17th.

Kudzu Guillotine

More NC State Fair footage.

Kudzu Guillotine

Due to circumstances beyond his control, Red River Records, the label that initially released this album back in late 2009, Chip Robinson's long awaited debut solo album Mylow went out of print soon after it was released to rave reviews. Now, it's back as a digital only download via Bandcamp. Click on the image to access it.