If That Ain't Country...

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Re: If That Ain't Country...

Post by cortez the killer »

bovine knievel wrote:

Get that Johnny Depp wannabe motherfucker outta here!
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

cortez the killer wrote:

Fucking awesome.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

olwiggum wrote:I've realized that I really love George Jones' voice for some reason. I can't get enough of "He stopped loving her today" and "If Drinking don't kill me" lately.

the grand tour lp........dude was doing some vocal acrobatics. twisting his phrasing and delivery all around the music. amazing up and downs, swooping ins and stretching outs. never static....always changing notes......except when he wanted to interpret otherwise. total command. and the tone. or some shit like that.

all time greatest singer performance album short list, for sure.

eat that tinnitus.

Luxury99

Post by Luxury99 »

This list starts with Hank Sr. I can't believe that's even been debated.

cortez the killer

Feature on Terry Allen's little-known, excellent concept album, Juarez, over on Aquarium Drunkard
- DPM

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Here is an article about Bro-country songs, with a computerized mashup. I am proud never to have heard any of these artists, but own a Sturgill Simpson CD. I got me a shred of cred. http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/mashu ... -same-song

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

oilpiers wrote:Here is an article about Bro-country songs, with a computerized mashup. I am proud never to have heard any of these artists, but own a Sturgill Simpson CD. I got me a shred of cred. http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/mashu ... -same-song

I've seen this making the rounds recently as well. Maybe it's just me but the anti-Bro Country posts have grown a bit tired. Not because I'm pro Bro but because it's like shooting fish in a barrel. It also seems to be counter productive, especially if the underlying motive with such articles is to clear a way for the likes of Sturgill, Lydia, McMurtry, DBT's, Old 97's, Bottle Rockets, etc. on commercial radio.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
oilpiers wrote:Here is an article about Bro-country songs, with a computerized mashup. I am proud never to have heard any of these artists, but own a Sturgill Simpson CD. I got me a shred of cred. http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/mashu ... -same-song

I've seen this making the rounds recently as well. Maybe it's just me but the anti-Bro Country posts have grown a bit tired. Not because I'm pro Bro but because it's like shooting fish in a barrel. It also seems to be counter productive, especially if the underlying motive with such articles is to clear a way for the likes of Sturgill, Lydia, McMurtry, DBT's, Old 97's, Bottle Rockets, etc. on commercial radio.

I think the article stands by itself without indicating any agenda. I have a co-worker who loves that bro-stuff, and has no idea about the other side of country. I gave her the Jason Isbell ACL DVD for Christmas, just to plant a seed of what is out there. Still proud that I am unfamiliar with that stuff, In the same way I am proud I could not differentiate Mylie Cyrus, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, or Justin Beiber if I accidentally heard them, regardless of whether it is counter productive to point it out or not. If that makes me a douchebag elitist, then I will turn up my collar with pride.

Kudzu Guillotine

No offense but I think the same thing could have been done with DBT's songs (as well as several other bands). I love 'em to death but to my ears there's a certain similarity to several of their songs, especially the Patterson ones. To that end, I don't necessarily see it as a shortcoming, they just have an unmistakable, signature sound. As for as having an "agenda", I'd say this most recent article in the anti-Bro country wars definitely has one. Personally, that shits never entered my radar. Same way Crossover Country didn't back in the 70's and 80's. I think it's a shame that deserving artists such as Sturgill, Chris Knight, Hayes Carll, etc. are seldom, if ever recognized by the mainstream country crowd but I don't see how the constant bitching and griping about Bro country is going to change anything. My attempts to clue folks into alt.country over the years have met with varied success. Most think they're unknown and un-played on mainstream country radio for a reason, because they've never heard of them (same thing for bands like the Replacements). In most cases, the end result is that I have just about as much of a chance of turning them onto the Truckers as they do turning me onto Kenny Chesney, Toby Keith, etc.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Don't worry about being offensive, it's all just typed conversation. I do think the Patterson comparison is not applicable, as they are all his songs, not 6 different artists with big hits in the same few years. Regarding my friend, I never told her her taste sucked, I just gave her the DVD and said of all the stuff I like I think she would like Jason the best. Ironically, a musician friend of mine, that I took to DBT at the Fonda, is on his way to my house to go to the Jayhawks show at the Fonda tonight. He enjoyed the show, but would never go out of his way to listen to DBT, and that is fine. He is a power pop nut and more along the lines of Jay's solo stuff. We are meeting a musician friend of ours who lives in San Diego and happens to be seeing Ian Hunter at the Roxy tonight. His band is The Phantoms, and he drums for the Flamin Groovies. He sent me a pic of him with Patterson Hood at the Rolling Stones tribute at the RNR HOF, where they both played. If you can find this album on spottily or rhapsody, check it out. Great Cheap Trick/glam type hard rock. They did a little partying with Ted that night. ImageImage

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:No offense but I think the same thing could have been done with DBT's songs (as well as several other bands). I love 'em to death but to my ears there's a certain similarity to several of their songs, especially the Patterson ones. To that end, I don't necessarily see it as a shortcoming, they just have an unmistakable, signature sound.

Quite a difference between the similarity of a single songwriter and six different chart topping bands.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:No offense but I think the same thing could have been done with DBT's songs (as well as several other bands). I love 'em to death but to my ears there's a certain similarity to several of their songs, especially the Patterson ones. To that end, I don't necessarily see it as a shortcoming, they just have an unmistakable, signature sound.

Quite a difference between the similarity of a single songwriter and six different chart topping bands.

Are we sure the songs by those six chart topping bands weren't all written by the same Nashville song factory?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Zip City wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:

Are we sure the songs by those six chart topping bands weren't all written by the same Nashville song factory?

I have a sneaking suspicion that Todd Snider and/or Bobby Bare, Jr. are somehow behind this. Either those two or Jamey Johnson. Afterall, isn't he the one that wrote "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk"?

cortez the killer

I've been on a binge of what I've dubbed "Redneck Yacht Rock" over the past several weeks. What is Redneck Yacht Rock you ask? It's essentially just a fancy/snarky reclassification of the Country Pop movement which began in the mid-70s where country artists began to blends genres like rock, pop, and country in an effort to reach larger, more mainstream audience. The precursors to this shift were the Nashville Sound and later Countrypolitan. Some of the giants of this subgenre include Ronnie Milsap, Johnny Lee, Eddie Rabbit, The Bellamy Brothers, Earl Thomas Conley, Conway Twitty, Restless Heart, Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Don Williams, T.G. Sheppard, Crystal Gayle, Dan Seals, Alabama, The Oak Ridge Boys and Glen Campbell. The Urban Cowboy soundtrack also casts a tall shadow over the genre. I've put together a few Redneck Yacht Rock playlists on Spotify if you are inclined to take the plunge.

- DPM

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

cortez the killer wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:50 am
I've been on a binge of what I've dubbed "Redneck Yacht Rock" over the past several weeks. What is Redneck Yacht Rock you ask? It's essentially just a fancy/snarky reclassification of the Country Pop movement which began in the mid-70s where country artists began to blends genres like rock, pop, and country in an effort to reach larger, more mainstream audience. The precursors to this shift were the Nashville Sound and later Countrypolitan. Some of the giants of this subgenre include Ronnie Milsap, Johnny Lee, Eddie Rabbit, The Bellamy Brothers, Earl Thomas Conley, Conway Twitty, Restless Heart, Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Don Williams, T.G. Sheppard, Crystal Gayle, Dan Seals, Alabama, The Oak Ridge Boys and Glen Campbell. The Urban Cowboy soundtrack also casts a tall shadow over the genre. I've put together a few Redneck Yacht Rock playlists on Spotify if you are inclined to take the plunge.

I was waiting for you to put one of these (or 3) together! :ugeek:

Pam > Sissy
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Clams

Post by Clams »

I wish I shared yall's appreciation for bad country music from the 80's.

Wait a second, no I don't. :)
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

bovine knievel wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:15 am
cortez the killer wrote:

Pam > Sissy
jerry hall, too.

cortez the killer

bovine knievel wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

Pam > Sissy
- DPM

cortez the killer

dime in the gutter wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:52 am
bovine knievel wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

Pam > Sissy
jerry hall, too.
- DPM

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

lol at Jerry Hall being married to Rupert Murdoch. weird times, man

cortez the killer

Good whiskey never let you lose your place...
- DPM