Artist Of The Week - 1 April 2013 - Pearl Jam

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Beebs

Re: Artist Of The Week - 1 April 2013 - Pearl Jam

Post by Beebs »

Duke Silver is one straight shooter.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Iowan wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:#1 No Code ... It's not perfect, but its flaws make it more interesting. Love the production, love Jack Irons' drumming.
#2 Yield ... Every song is great, and the production is amazing. The guitar tone on Faithfull= :!: .
#3 Vitalogy ... The thick layer of 90s angst weighs it down a bit.
#4 Ten ... Stone cold classic.
#5 Binaural ... A good album that could've been great with a little re-tracking. So many great b-sides were left off.
#6 Vs. ... Very much "of its time." Sounds very dated now.
#7 Lightning Bolt ... God help me, I really like it.
#8 Riot Act ... Just a big, brassy fart of an album.
#9 Avocado ... A couple good songs on the first half, bunch of crap on the second half. Contains their worst song, "Inside Job." Production is horrendous.
Wait, don't they have 10 studio albums?
#10 Backspacer ... Oh yeah, this exists.
Interesting thoughts. I don't care for "Inside Job", but man, I wouldn't put it anywhere close to their worst song. That's gotta be "Bu$hleager" or "Future Days". I'm not counting the sound fragments. Just full fledged songs.

The production on Avocado is pretty good too. Not nearly as shiny as the other recent albums, and the guitars really shine. I agree that the back half kind of drags. "Come Back" is a PJ guilty pleasure of mine. I think they're shooting for 50's ballad sound and pull it off.
Future Days sucks, but at least it's well executed. Bushleaguer at least has that grinding opening riff before Vedder drives the song into the ditch.

I mean...I know Mike McCready wrote this and they recorded it as a favor to him...but still:

I will not lose my faith
It's an inside job today

Holding on, the light of the night
On my knees to rise and fix my broken soul

Let me run into the rain
To be a human light again

Let me run into the rain
To shine a human light today

Oh, life comes from within your heart and desire
Oh, life comes from within my heart and desire
Oh, life comes from within your heart and desire
ain't no static on the gospel radio

phungi

Post by phungi »

Riot Act has always been a special album for me... perhaps it was the timing, having a 1 and 3 year old at the time, but the post-Roskilde sense of vitality combined with themes of mortality hit me right in the gut... songs like I am Mine, Can't Keep, Love Boat Captain, Cropduster are standouts and I am happy to see them cycle through the setlist... Save You is a great song and statement about addiction and friendship, and there are a bunch of great underrated songs such as Thumbing My Way, All or None, Get RIght, You Are, Help Help.

Hard for me to be a fan of Pearl Jam and not be a fan of this album or appreciate the place/role it plays in the band's history.

Perhaps it is because I love me some Inside Job... Written by the lead guitarist who is battling Chron's disease and past addiction while snowed in during a storm... plus, he gives the lead to Stone... what's not to like?
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

phungi wrote:Riot Act has always been a special album for me... perhaps it was the timing, having a 1 and 3 year old at the time, but the post-Roskilde sense of vitality combined with themes of mortality hit me right in the gut... songs like I am Mine, Can't Keep, Love Boat Captain, Cropduster are standouts and I am happy to see them cycle through the setlist... Save You is a great song and statement about addiction and friendship, and there are a bunch of great underrated songs such as Thumbing My Way, All or None, Get RIght, You Are, Help Help.

Hard for me to be a fan of Pearl Jam and not be a fan of this album or appreciate the place/role it plays in the band's history.

Perhaps it is because I love me some Inside Job... Written by the lead guitarist who is battling Chron's disease and past addiction while snowed in during a storm... plus, he gives the lead to Stone... what's not to like?
I like Riot Act too. Pearl Jam is one of those artists for me where at their worst, they're still better than most.

I read the lyrics to "I Am Mine" at my cousin's wake. He died of cancer at age 8, but had this amazing peace about himself through the process. More composed than the adults, really. I listened to that song in particular a ton at that time. I think the end solo is some of my favorite Mike McCready work, just wish it lasted longer.

That said, there are about 5 or so songs on Riot Act that I just don't care for.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Here's my list of their albums. I divide them into 3 groups these days.

No Code
Ten
Vs
Yield
Vitalogy

Pearl Jam
Binaural

Lightning Bolt
Backspacer
Riot Act

Some of the positions can change depending on the day…for example, 2-4 are basically interchangeable for me, 6-7 the same, and also 9-10 can go either way.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Pearl Jam will headline the Global Citizen Festival in NYC on September 26. More information is at the link below.

http://pearljam.com/news/0/1/22692/pear ... n_festival

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

New tour dates are up!

Fri 04/08/16 Sunrise, FL BB&T Center

Sat 04/09/16 Miami, FL AmericanAirlines Arena

Mon 04/11/16 Tampa, FL Amalie Arena

Wed 04/13/16 Jacksonville, FL Jacksonville Veterans Mem. Arena

Sat 04/16/16 Greenville, SC Bon Secours Wellness Arena

Mon 04/18/16 Hampton, VA Hampton Coliseum

Wed 04/20/16 Raleigh, NC PNC Arena

Thu 04/21/16 Columbia, SC Colonial Life Arena

Appearing at "New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival"
Sat 04/23/16 New Orleans, LA Fairgrounds Racecourse

Tue 04/26/16 Lexington, KY Rupp Arena

Thu 04/28/16 Philadelphia, PA Wells Fargo Center

Fri 04/29/16 Philadelphia, PA Wells Fargo Center

Sun 05/01/16 New York, NY Madison Square Garden Arena

Mon 05/02/16 New York, NY Madison Square Garden Arena

Thu 05/05/16 Quebec City, QC Centre Vidéotron

Sun 05/08/16 Ottawa, ON Canadian Tire Centre

Tue 05/10/16 Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre

Fri 08/05/16 Boston, MA Fenway Park

Sun 08/07/16 Boston, MA Fenway Park

Sat 08/20/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field

Mon 08/22/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Gonna try to move heaven and earth to get a couple reasonably-priced tix for the first Wrigley show when they go on sale.

Bill, as a non Ten Club member, am I fooling myself? Am I gonna wind up paying through the nose on stubhub or the like?

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Duke Silver wrote:Gonna try to move heaven and earth to get a couple reasonably-priced tix for the first Wrigley show when they go on sale.

Bill, as a non Ten Club member, am I fooling myself? Am I gonna wind up paying through the nose on stubhub or the like?
I am a Ten Club member and missed the 2013 Wrigley show. I think it will help you that there are 2 shows this time and they are also playing 2 shows at Fenway in August. Some fans will try to go to all 4 shows but many will focus on one or the other.
Good luck with the public on sale and let me know how it goes.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Bill in CT wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:Gonna try to move heaven and earth to get a couple reasonably-priced tix for the first Wrigley show when they go on sale.

I am a Ten Club member and missed the 2013 Wrigley show. I think it will help you that there are 2 shows this time and they are also playing 2 shows at Fenway in August. Some fans will try to go to all 4 shows but many will focus on one or the other.
Thanks. Looks like they aren't doing any special drawings for TC members for the stadium shows anyway, if I'm reading it correctly. Really hoping I can make this work! I haven't seen them since Alpine Valley, 2002 I think? Riot Act tour.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Duke Silver wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:

Thanks. Looks like they aren't doing any special drawings for TC members for the stadium shows anyway, if I'm reading it correctly. Really hoping I can make this work! I haven't seen them since Alpine Valley, 2002 I think? Riot Act tour.
They will do a Ten Club lottery for the stadium shows later on. They said the information would be sent to us in February.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Duke Silver wrote:#1 No Code ... It's not perfect, but its flaws make it more interesting. Love the production, love Jack Irons' drumming.
#2 Yield ... Every song is great, and the production is amazing. The guitar tone on Faithfull= :!: .
#3 Vitalogy ... The thick layer of 90s angst weighs it down a bit.
#4 Ten ... Stone cold classic.
#5 Binaural ... A good album that could've been great with a little re-tracking. So many great b-sides were left off.
#6 Vs. ... Very much "of its time." Sounds very dated now.
#7 Lightning Bolt ... God help me, I really like it.
#8 Riot Act ... Just a big, brassy fart of an album.
#9 Avocado ... A couple good songs on the first half, bunch of crap on the second half. Contains their worst song, "Inside Job." Production is horrendous.
Wait, don't they have 10 studio albums?
#10 Backspacer ... Oh yeah, this exists.
9 months later, I'm kinda embarrassed by this list. I think I was too hard on the more recent stuff. Backspacer has grown on me a lot, and after watching a bunch of Avocado-era performances on Youtube, I remembered how fun that era was, and how rejuvenated they seemed after Roskilde and Riot Act. If I had to re-rank them today:

No Code
Yield
Vitalogy
Ten

Binaural
Vs.

Riot Act
Avocado
Backspacer

Lightning Bolt

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

It blows me away to see Radio Moscow that big. I saw those guys play house parties in college.

ilockyer

Post by ilockyer »

Bill in CT wrote:Image
Well nobody saw that one coming... incredible place for them to play. Definitely somewhere I'd consider if I had the money, at least two months too soon!

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

ilockyer wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:Image
Well nobody saw that one coming... incredible place for them to play. Definitely somewhere I'd consider if I had the money, at least two months too soon!
Too bad Neil Young is on tour in Europe during this festival. Daryl Hannah has a home in Telluride so a Neil sit-in with Pearl Jam would be a possibility if he were not on tour at the time.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

"Eddie Vedder returns to his high school, performs on-stage with teachers, alumni"

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/02/e ... mni-watch/

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Pearl Jam will headline the Pemberton Festival in Pemberton, BC. The festival will be held July 14-17.

More information is available at the link below.

http://pembertonmusicfestival.com

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I wonder if this is a one-off or if Eddie Vedder will do other solo shows in 2016.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

The setlists for the current tour have been unbelievable so far. And I thought this was great:

Dean

Post by Dean »

30-32 songs per night, including two 4-6 song encores

i see them next week in Raleigh and am super pumped

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Dean wrote:30-32 songs per night, including two 4-6 song encores

i see them next week in Raleigh and am super pumped
I'll be at the Raleigh show as well. DBT fans represent at Pearl Jam! :D

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Dean wrote:30-32 songs per night, including two 4-6 song encores
Over the course of their 4 Florida shows, they played 84 different songs.
:shock:

phungi

Post by phungi »

In the "Bill Girdles the Globe" department, we have a Bill-sighting on the Pearl Jam message board this morning:
...This tour has been fantastic. Hanging out with Bill Alexander and Mauro Escudero was a good time tonight! Made new friends, awesome show, it's just such a positive energy.
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Latest Ten Club newsletter says No Code and Yield are being reissued on vinyl. Finally! Only record I have is Binaural.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Duke Silver wrote:Latest Ten Club newsletter says No Code and Yield are being reissued on vinyl. Finally! Only record I have is Binaural.
I know! That made may day. So many times I have thought about investing in each on EBAY for more than $200. The patience paid off! Now have to wait until August to receive it.

I am still in need of Binaural. You got Lost Dogs and Avocado on vinyl? You lucky bastard.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Cubfan06 wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:Latest Ten Club newsletter says No Code and Yield are being reissued on vinyl. Finally! Only record I have is Binaural.
I know! That made may day. So many times I have thought about investing in each on EBAY for more than $200. The patience paid off! Now have to wait until August to receive it.

I am still in need of Binaural. You got Lost Dogs and Avocado on vinyl? You lucky bastard.
Nope, I've never seen Avocado or Lost Dogs anywhere. My local shop has Vs and LB, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Is Binaural hard to find? Crazy thing is, I didn't even buy it. I won it in a drawing at a shop in Janesville, WI back when it came out, about 10 years before I even had a record player.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Duke Silver wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:

Nope, I've never seen Avocado or Lost Dogs anywhere. My local shop has Vs and LB, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Is Binaural hard to find? Crazy thing is, I didn't even buy it. I won it in a drawing at a shop in Janesville, WI back when it came out, about 10 years before I even had a record player.
Oh shit. I just assumed that you misprinted. Binaural is very hard to find. A cold $350 could get you to acquire a copy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEARL-JAM-origi ... SwRH5XKkF6

Also, is the record store still in Janesville? If so this FIB will need to stop on my next time I'm passing through town for a weekend up North.