Artist Of The Week - 1 April 2013 - Pearl Jam

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ilockyer

Artist Of The Week - 1 April 2013 - Pearl Jam

Post by ilockyer »

Pearl Jam started out in 1990, members having previously played in bands such as Green River, Temple Of The Dog and Mother Love Bone. All excellent bands in their own right, and well worthy of investigation.

Pearl Jam's first album from 1991, Ten, is still their biggest selling record and has no real weakness on it at all. Alive and Jeremy were the two biggest singles from that, certainly here in Europe, and on the back of those and fairly incessant touring they built a huge fanbase very quickly. With this post I've decided to avoid the hits, since they're out there and most people have probably heard them. So, here's Oceans from MTV Unplugged 1992:

Ten was followed up by Vs in 1993. A slight step on from Ten, equally free of the filler that would appear on later albums, after 2 years touring the previous album (and having changed drummer (Dave Krusen replaced by Dave Abbruzzese) before the touring for Ten really started) Vs showed that Ten was no fluke. This performance of Glorified G took place in New Orleans:

A year after Vs, and having been written and recorded on the road, Vitalogy dropped in November 1994 on vinyl, followed 2 weeks later by the CD version. The sleeve notes made it quite clear singer Eddie Vedders disdain for the CD format "A CD is like bad acid, not for human consumption). Vitalogy brought some songs that would become staples of their live set right up to the present day, including Corduroy, Better Man and this one, Not For You. This performance from Saturday Night Live 1994:

The Vitalogy tour was the start of their much publicised spat with Ticketmaster, their disgust at TM charging a service charge on their tickets led to them largely boycotting Ticketmaster venues and being barely able to tour the album in the US. 1995 was spent doing some of their own shows, and recording and touring the Mirror Ball album with Neil Young. Credited as musicians but not as a band. It also marked another change in drummer, with Jack Irons moving in behind the kit.

The follow up to Vitalogy in 1996, No Code, was vastly different, much more acoustic based but yielding some great songs, such as Present Tense, Smile and the opening track, Sometimes, is infrequently used as a set opener if played. The album also features guitarist Stone Gossard as lead vocalist on one song, Mankind. For this album, just because it's one of my favourites, I've picked Off He Goes from the Bridge School Benefit 1996:

In early 1998 Yield was released, and followed with a much larger scale tour than for No Code. The last drummer change (to date) occurred with Matt Cameron replacing Jack Irons for the tour following Irons' decision to leave and the breakup of Soundgarden. Yield was a much more rock oriented record than its predecessor, Do The Evolution and Given To Fly would become staples of the live set. The song Wishlist would eventually give its name to a fan run charity to benefit Crohns disease (amongst others) - http://wishlistfoundation.org - but from this album here's No Way filmed at their Atlanta show in 1998:

Yield was followed 2 years later by Binaural, this album had been changed quite close to the release date, with a few songs being dropped and which subsequently wouldn't be seen until the out-takes release Lost Dogs. Songs from this album aren't often featured in setlists in any great quantity, which is a shame because there's some great tracks, Nothing As It Seems is quite an epic live performance. I've chosen Parting Ways from Lubbock 2000 to represent this one:

The Binaural tour through Europe was truncated due to the Roskilde tragedy, where 9 fans lost their lives in a crowd crush while the band were playing. After this the band would not set foot on a festival stage for 6 years, did not return to Europe for the same length of time, and mostly played (as they still do) seated venues in the US.

After a year off from touring, the band recorded Riot Act and released it in November 2002. Well received by fans at the time, and supported by a well regarded tour (including 3 nights in Mansfield, MA where they attempted to play each song they'd played on the tour and to not repeat anything - 82 originals and 10 covers across 3 nights). Riot Act includes the song Love Boat Captain, which references Roskilde) and also a vocal track from Eddie Vedder entitled Arc which is a tribute to the 9 who died at Roskilde. Since that tour, it is under-represented in setlists, the out-take Down is one of the most commonly heard songs from that time. Bu$hleaguer from Riot Act was performed fairly often until George W Bush left office. I've picked Green Disease from the Camden 2003 show:

Riot Act was the last album on Epic, who'd been their label from the start, the Lost Dogs out-takes set and Live At The Garden DVD concluded that deal. From there on it was self releasing with distribution through major labels, as the band tried to take more control. A live album from Seattle's Benaroya Hall was released on BMG and was a wholly acoustic take on the back catalogue. The 4LP set released through the bands website only for $46 now often fetches upwards of $1000.

2006 saw a return to Europe in support of the self-titled album, often referred to as Avocado due to the cover, and also to playing festivals. The tour included a full in order performance of the album in Turin during the main set. A much more rock oriented sound on this album, including tracks like Life Wasted and World Wide Suicide. Successful performances at Reading and Leeds festivals in England marked a return to the big outdoor stage and most European shows were general admission, unlike in the US. From Pearl Jam, here's Severed Hand from Honolulu 2006:

In 2009 Backspacer was released, in the period between self-titled and this the band had toured, Eddie Vedder had soundtracked the Into The Wild movie, and the band returned with a short (in length) album. Moderately received at best, this album features some good songs, Just Breathe (covered by Willie Nelson) and The End are acoustic performances which probably best fit on an Eddie Vedder solo album, Got Some and The Fixer are both regularly played but most fans consider Unthought Known to be the standout from this album. This version was recorded at the Wuhlheide amphitheatre in east Berlin, 10 years to the day of the Roskilde festival:

Covers have always played a part in Pearl Jam's set, Rocking In The Free World since 1992 and others have been added over the years, a fair few from The Who (Baba, The Real Me, Love Reign O'er Me), others include Sonic Reducer, I Believe In Miracles. I've been lucky enough to see a couple of awesome ones in the last couple of years, including Chloe Dancer/Crown Of Thorns from Toronto 2011 night 1. These two were Mother Love Bone songs, one of the bands that came before Pearl Jam, PJ have regularly covered Crown Of Thorns but had never attempted these two together in the correct order.

In 2011 they covered Mother by Pink Floyd while playing the o2 World in Berlin, which is right next to a remaining section of the Berlin Wall, now home to the East Side Gallery.

Pearl Jam have, since the early days, nearly always ended their live set with the song Yellow Ledbetter (usually the last night of a 2 night stand). Here is a version, from Wuhlheide in 2010:

Last edited by ilockyer on Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Iowan

Re: Artist Of The Week - 1 April 2013 - Pearl Jam

Post by Iowan »

Cool write up. Pearl Jam has a very special place in my heart/musical development. I was pretty much obsessed with them in college. Don't listen to them nearly as much these days, but it just has more to do with the flood of good music I seem to be coming across.

The Pearl Jam message board is solely responsible for my exposure to DBT.

I'd rank the albums as such:
Vitalogy
Vs
Ten
Yield
No Code
Avocado
Binaural
Riot Act
Backspacer

There are songs I enjoy on all

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

I have to admit that I was really only into Pearl Jam during the Alive and Jeremy phase, I wasn't paying attention to music at the time, I hadn't made the transition to CDs, and MTV was my only outlet for music. They were my favorite band for about a month, then I phased out of the Seattle thing. However, I do have great respect for Pearl Jam and I always loved their version of the Victoria Williams song Crazy Mary which they did on her tribute album Sweet Relief. This here is a pretty kick ass live version:

Clams

Post by Clams »

I've never been a huge fan but I respect them immensely for being a big-time rock band but for the most part staying true to their beliefs and being cool to their fans. Most huge rock bands have jumped the shark at some point (hell, even the Boss married and divorced a model), but I don't believe PJ has. In the unlikely event that the planets align and DBT becomes one of the biggest bands on the planet for the next 20 years, they could do a lot worse than to model themselves after PJ.

All that being said, I'm a big fan of their first couple of records, plus Yield and Vitology. Not For You, Rearviewmirror, Wishlist, Corduroy, are some of my favorite rock songs. And their first three records are about as good an opening salvo as you'll find in all of rock. Another thing I like about PJ is that, like DBT, the covers they play at their shows are all top-shelf songs.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Nice choice, ilockyer. Pearl Jam is one of my favorite bands. I've seen them over 40 times dating back to November 1991.

Oceans is number one on my list of PJ songs I'm chasing. It's the only song from Ten that I've never seen them play live.

Here are some of my favorites for which you didn't include video.

There are 2 covers that I've seen both Pearl Jam and DBT do. They are Rockin' In The Free World and Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love.
I was at the shows represented below.

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

I got caught up in the 'are they really authentic' stuff when they first started and have never bothered to go back to find out about them since.

I did however see them once, in February 1992, here's the setlist (especially for Bill)

1. Oceans
2. Even Flow
3. Why Go
4. Jeremy
5. Deep
6. Alive
7. Black
8. State of Love and Trust
9. Once
10. Porch

Encore:
11. Garden
12. Leash
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Clams wrote:the covers they play are top-shelf songs.

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

My favorite Pearl Jam/NY moment:

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

The first band I was fanatical about - saw them twice.
Seems to be a lot of overlap between PJ & DBT fanbases, which is interesting as they're not that similar on the surface.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:The first band I was fanatical about - saw them twice.
Seems to be a lot of overlap between PJ & DBT fanbases, which is interesting as they're not that similar on the surface.

I think their similarity is how they treat their fans both on a personal level (obviously a little less so for PJ but they do try) and on a performance level. Both bands leave it all out there on stage night after night. I think another thing is that both of them appeal to real Rock & Roll lovers with wide tastes which may be the key reason for so much crossover between the fanbases.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Good job on the Artist of the Week.

In preps for their show at Wrigley I've been listening to a lot of Pearl Jam these days.

I've read that in writing and recording for the new album they have been in a "No Code" frame of mind. This is very encouraging for me since No Code is one of my faves. I've also read that Brendan O'Brien will be producing the album, which is also a positive. What he did with the remastered Ten was incredible. Backspacer was an absolute dud, however I don't necessarily think that it was Brendan O'Brien's fault. The songs just weren't strong.

In light of Iowan's rankings I offer up my current PJ album rankings, which have varied over time:

No Code
VS.
Yield
Ten (Remastered)
Avocado
Vitology
Riot Act
Binaural
Backspacer
Last edited by Cubfan06 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

In Pearl Jarm related news..I have read that Mike McCreedy is initial stages of forming a side project with Duff McKagen on bass (G and R, Velvet Revolver) and Barrett Martin on drums (Screaming Trees). A lot of rumors point to Mark Lanegan (Screaming Trees) being the potential singer.

If that band moves forward with that exact lineup, it will likely be my favorite album of 2014 before its release and likely one of my favorite supergroups of all time.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Great write up.

I've had a weird relationship with this band.

I've been really, really into them aabout three times in my life but always for really brief periods.

The first was when Ten came out (although they were not my favorite of the Seattle bands). The second was some time around the release of Riot Act. I didn't love that album but was starved for some new music by a good band and that seemed to be in very short supply around that time. The irony of course is that the Truckers were smack in the middle of the absolutely epic period of their career, I just didn't know about them.

Finally, I got into them again when the self titled album came out. I picked up a copy of Lost Dogs around then too.

I don't listen to them anymore and pretty much lost interest but I do respect them and appreciate what they do. Good band and I have two buddies who name them as their all time favorite band.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

RMD

Post by RMD »

Been a big fan since the get go. No Code is my favorite album. Fantastic live plus Neil digs 'em. 8-)

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

I was a huge fan of them when Riot Act came out and completely got into everything they did, since then I still enjoy a lot of their music and consider myself a fan, but have lost interest in them since Backspacer came out. The album sounded rushed, Just breathe was beautiful, but thats all it had.

The song Alive hits home pretty hard and resembles my life too a 'T', my mother even semi hinted about the man I've called dad all these wasn't my real father while we watched Pearl Jam Unplugged together on VH1. I didn't understand what she was saying until a few years later. My real father died when I was 18 of pancreatic cancer and I never got to know him. I don't think my pops even knows I know.

I have reached out to my bio dads family, and got in touch with his sister through facebook he has two daughters. I don't think they know I exist..

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

For about the last month, Stone Gossard has been releasing one song per week from his upcoming solo album "Moonlander." I think his first solo album ("Bayleaf") was extremely underrated, and so far Moonlander sounds like it's going to be at least as good as that was.

http://pearljam.com/moonlander

Between this, Soundgarden's reunion, and the four (!!) albums Jeff Ament has been involved with since Backspacer came out, it's gonna be interesting to see what material they've all set aside for the next PJ album. I thought Backspacer sounded like an EP's worth of good songs stretched to album length, so I'm skeptical.

(Great thread, by the way. Pearl Jam was my first musical obsession, and even though I think they've been coasting on their reputation for at least the last decade, I still get all giddy when new album rumors start popping up.)
ain't no static on the gospel radio

9GroveStreet

Post by 9GroveStreet »

In the fall of 1991, a new friend at UMass dragged me to see this band I had never heard of in the student union ballroom for $5 bucks. A short time later "Ten" blew up. The passion and ferocity that Pearl Jam played with that night is the same passion and ferocity they play with today. Haven't loved all of their albums, but have always loved seeing them live.

Got a chance to see Eddie Vedder play a solo show at the Boston Opera House back in 2008 and it will always be a Top 5 show for me. The whole crowd singing along with "Elderly Woman" as Vedder walked on to the stage to start the show would've given even Bush and Cheney goosebumps.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

9GroveStreet wrote:In the fall of 1991, a new friend at UMass dragged me to see this band I had never heard of in the student union ballroom for $5 bucks. A short time later "Ten" blew up. The passion and ferocity that Pearl Jam played with that night is the same passion and ferocity they play with today. Haven't loved all of their albums, but have always loved seeing them live.

Got a chance to see Eddie Vedder play a solo show at the Boston Opera House back in 2008 and it will always be a Top 5 show for me. The whole crowd singing along with "Elderly Woman" as Vedder walked on to the stage to start the show would've given even Bush and Cheney goosebumps.

Great story!

And July 19th at Wrigley can't get here soon enough!!!

And caught that same Eddie tour at both the Riverside Theatre in Milwaukee and one of the two Chicago Theatre shows. I felt the exact same way in significance.

Been jamming night two from last years Amerstdam show over the past couple of days. No slouch.
June 27, 2012 Setlist:
1. Wash
2. Last Exit
3. Animal
4. State Of Love And Trust
5. Severed Hand
6. Corduroy
7. I Got Shit
8. Daughter/WMA
9. Nothing As It Seems
10. Got Some
11. Dissident
12. Once
13. Glorified G
14. Deep
15. The Fixer (with Ray Cameron on percussion)
16. Bugs (Ed plays this on electric guitar instead of accordion)
17. Better Man/Save It For Later

1st Encore:
18. Release
19. Hail, Hail
20. Alone
21. Footsteps
22. Rearviewmirror

2nd Encore:
23. Crown Of Thorns
24. Sonic Reducer
25. Alive
26. Baba O’Riley
27. Yellow Ledbetter/Little Wing

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Wow ilockyer. Really nice job.

I saw PJ on the last night of their North American tour at the Gorge Ampitheater in Washington State around 2005 or 2006. There was some kind of freak heat wave going on and it was 105 when the band hit the stage. I think it was the venue but it was damn near a religous experience and I have always had a soft spot in my heart for them since then.
I mean, just look at this place. Image

By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Tourdates are being announced at 1 Eastern time today. One rumor that I've seen is that they'll play the Barclays Center in Brooklyn when I'm planning to be in California for the Bridge School Benefit this October. If that happens, it would be reminiscent of when I was in California for BSB when the Dirt Underneath tour came to Manhattan and Brooklyn in 2007. I did catch that tour in Philly in the summer of 2007.

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

Iowan wrote:Cool write up. Pearl Jam has a very special place in my heart/musical development. I was pretty much obsessed with them in college. Don't listen to them nearly as much these days, but it just has more to do with the flood of good music I seem to be coming across.

The Pearl Jam message board is solely responsible for my exposure to DBT.

I'd rank the albums as such:
Vitalogy
Vs
Ten
Yield
No Code
Avocado
Binaural
Riot Act
Backspacer

There are songs I enjoy on all

I always Rank Riot Act in my Top 3 PJ Albums

1. Ten
2. vS
3. Riot Act
4. Vitalogy and so on...

I dug Backspacer immensely, but got bored with it.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Tour dates are up!

DATE CITY VENUE
Oct-11 Pittsburgh, PA Consol Energy Center
Oct-12 Buffalo, NY First Niagara Center
Oct-15 Worcester, MA DCU Center
Oct-18 Brooklyn, NY Barclays Center
Oct-19 Brooklyn, NY Barclays Center
Oct-21 Philadelphia, PA Wells Fargo Center
Oct-22 Philadelphia, PA Wells Fargo Center
Oct-25 Hartford, CT XL Center
Oct-27 Baltimore, MD 1st Mariner Arena
Oct-29 Charlottesville, VA John Paul Jones Arena
Oct-30 Charlotte, NC Time Warner Cable Arena
Nov-1-3* New Orleans, LA Voodoo Music + Arts Experience

Nov-15 Dallas, TX American Airlines Arena
Nov-16 Oklahoma City, OK Chesapeake Energy Arena
Nov-19 Phoenix, AZ Jobing.com Arena
Nov-21 San Diego, CA Viejas Arena
Nov-23 Los Angeles, CA Sports Arena
Nov-24 Los Angeles, CA Sports Arena
Nov-26 Oakland, CA Oracle Arena
Nov-29 Portland, OR Rose Garden Arena
Nov-30 Spokane, WA Spokane Arena
Dec-2 Calgary, AB Scotiabank Saddledome
Dec-4 Vancouver, BC Rogers Arena
Dec-6 Seattle, WA Key Arena

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

They're running a series of countdowns on their site:

http://pearljam.com/countdown

I wish they would just announce/release the damn album already. Who's even following the countdown other than people who will buy it anyway?

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Duke Silver wrote:They're running a series of countdowns on their site:

http://pearljam.com/countdown

I wish they would just announce/release the damn album already. Who's even following the countdown other than people who will buy it anyway?

I read on their official forum that the album is called Tides and comes out on October 8. I'm not sure if that's true though.

As of now I'm hoping to see Worcester, Philly 2, Hartford, and Baltimore on the first leg.
I'm thinking about seeing a pair of shows on the 2nd leg but haven't decided yet.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Hopefully they add more in the spring, because none of those dates are within 500 miles of me. Haven't seen them since 2002 and had been hoping to rectify that.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

The band's official Twitter account has been tweeting out pieces of what I''m guessing are album artwork this week.

So far it's gone from:

https://twitter.com/PearlJam/status/354374729777438720/photo/1

to:

https://twitter.com/PearlJam/status/354646139259203586/photo/1

to:

https://twitter.com/PearlJam/status/355008570296791040/photo/1

Kinda cool. :ugeek:

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I am clearly one of only 2 or 3 people here excited about this, but there are 15 minutes left on the timer. :geek:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'm anxiously awaiting some snippets of music.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Rumor is they'll start streaming the first single this afternoon, hopefully accompanied by some album news.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM