Artist Of The Week - 1 April 2013 - Pearl Jam

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Bill in CT

Re: Artist Of The Week - 1 April 2013 - Pearl Jam

Post by Bill in CT »

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Very nice piece on the band's relationship with Steve Gleason, the former Saint who was diagnosed with ALS a couple years ago.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I know what I'm doing tonight.

Pearl Jam ‏@PearlJam 1h
Happy Monday! #LightningBolt is now streaming on @iTunes! http://www.itunes.com/pearljam

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Not quite all the way through Lightning Bolt, but this exceeds Backspacer on a lot of levels.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Agreed. Just make sure you turn it off as soon as "Yellow Moon" ends.

Highlights for me so far are Getaway, My Father's Son, Pendulum, Yellow Moon and, surprisingly, Sleeping By Myself. Lowlights are Future Days (what in the world?) and Infallible.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

After two listens, I would easily rank this over Backspacer (their weakest, IMO), and roughly equal to Avocado. I could see it overtaking Avocado eventually, but I don't see it touching the Binaural-Riot Act level, let alone the first five records.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Duke Silver wrote:After two listens, I would easily rank this over Backspacer (their weakest, IMO), and roughly equal to Avocado. I could see it overtaking Avocado eventually, but I don't see it touching the Binaural-Riot Act level, let alone the first five records.

I'm hesitant to give my opinion on the album yet, since I haven't slept on it yet, although have given it the proverbial three listens that I require to give any sort of music critique.

I hadn't read your post before forming my opinion, but I am exactly with you on this assessment. And that speaks volumes, because I really like the Avocado album a lot and would rank it just beneath. If it weren't for Infallible, Sleeping By Myself( Good, but more fitting for an EV solo album), and Future Days (could grow more than the other two) this album could have all of the makings to be at Binaural/Riot Act level. I highly disliked Sirens when I first heard it and love it now while played through loud speakers and within the context of the track listing. I saw Mind Your Manners, Lightening Bolt, and Future Days at Wrigley over the summer, but I think that many of the new rockers will find a fond place in PJ setlists. I remember listening to stuff off No Code, Yield, Binaural, and Riot Act that were taken to a different level on the stage. I think that many of these have that potential.

I cannot call this a great album by the lofty standards which Pearl Jam has set, but I think that it is very good. After Backspacer, which was highly mediocre for any band's standards, this leaves a good taste in my mouth. I like it.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Right now I would put it ahead of Backspacer and Riot Act for sure.

I think Avocado is a damn fine album (the one that finally got me into PJ).

To me, the PJ albums exist in the following tiers:

Vitalogy
Vs
Ten
(slight gap)
Yield
Avocado
No Code
(slightly larger gap, but not huge)

Binaural
Lightning Bolt
Riot Act
(huge gap)

Backspacer

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Cubfan06 wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:After two listens, I would easily rank this over Backspacer (their weakest, IMO), and roughly equal to Avocado. I could see it overtaking Avocado eventually, but I don't see it touching the Binaural-Riot Act level, let alone the first five records.

I'm hesitant to give my opinion on the album yet, since I haven't slept on it yet, although have given it the proverbial three listens that I require to give any sort of music critique.

I hadn't read your post before forming my opinion, but I am exactly with you on this assessment. And that speaks volumes, because I really like the Avocado album a lot and would rank it just beneath. If it weren't for Infallible, Sleeping By Myself( Good, but more fitting for an EV solo album), and Future Days (could grow more than the other two) this album could have all of the makings to be at Binaural/Riot Act level. I highly disliked Sirens when I first heard it and love it now while played through loud speakers and within the context of the track listing. I saw Mind Your Manners, Lightening Bolt, and Future Days at Wrigley over the summer, but I think that many of the new rockers will find a fond place in PJ setlists. I remember listening to stuff off No Code, Yield, Binaural, and Riot Act that were taken to a different level on the stage. I think that many of these have that potential.

I cannot call this a great album by the lofty standards which Pearl Jam has set, but I think that it is very good. After Backspacer, which was highly mediocre for any band's standards, this leaves a good taste in my mouth. I like it.

Yep, I expect my opinion to change pretty wildly over the next several months. I always, always, always overrate new PJ albums. I don't really do that with other bands, but PJ for whatever reason gets big time benefit of the doubt from me, even though I haven't really loved anything of theirs in over a decade.

Infallible is the biggest disappointment to me. That was the song that "leaked" a few months ago when someone recorded it from outside an arena during soundcheck. That shitty quality recording made it sound like it was going to be something heavy, weird, and dark, like QOTSA covering Kashmir or something. For the song to turn out to be a weak, "uplifting" anthem with a chorus that sounds a hell of a lot like a Christina Aguilera song...that's a shame. I was hoping it would be a badass album centerpiece.

My rankings, FWIW:

Top shelf:
Yield / No Code (depending on the day)
Vitalogy
Ten
Vs.

Middle shelf:
Binaural
Riot Act

Lower shelf:
Avocado

Shoved under the shelf to keep it balanced:
Backspacer

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Duke I saw them on the last night of the Avocado tour and those songs live kicked ass.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Rocky wrote:Duke I saw them on the last night of the Avocado tour and those songs live kicked ass.

I missed them on that tour, but I have the Gorge box set and that Italian tour DVD and the Avocado songs do sound great. Gone and Inside Job are the two I don't really care for much.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Duke Silver wrote:
Rocky wrote:Duke I saw them on the last night of the Avocado tour and those songs live kicked ass.

I missed them on that tour, but I have the Gorge box set and that Italian tour DVD and the Avocado songs do sound great. Gone and Inside Job are the two I don't really care for much.

Gone and Army Reserve are the "skippers" on that album for me.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Here's my ranking of Pearl Jam albums for right now. There's not much separation for me between the top 4. I would say top 5 but Vitalogy's filler puts it below the other 4 for me.

No Code
Ten
Vs
Yield
Vitalogy
Pearl Jam
Binaural
LIghtning Bolt
Backspacer
Riot Act

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Iowan wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

Gone and Army Reserve are the "skippers" on that album for me.

To each their own, but I love Army Reserve. That might be my favorite song on the Avocado album.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Bill in CT wrote:Here's my ranking of Pearl Jam albums for right now. There's not much separation for me between the top 4. I would say top 5 but Vitalogy's filler puts it below the other 4 for me.

No Code
Ten
Vs
Yield
Vitalogy
Pearl Jam
Binaural
LIghtning Bolt
Backspacer
Riot Act

re: Vitalogy filler--I actually like most of it. I wish they'd do more stuff like Aye Davanita.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Vitalogy filler is 100% forgivable because everything else on that album is fucking perfect.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Iowan wrote:Vitalogy filler is 100% forgivable because everything else on that album is fucking perfect.

Agreed. I still love the album...just not quite as much as their other 4 albums from the 90s. Immortality is one of my favorites to see them do live. I hope I see it on the upcoming tour.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Haven't listened to an album since Riot Act, which if the latter albums were a tier below it then there's no need since I hated RA.

My ranking:
Yield
Vitalogy
No Code
Vs
Ten
Binaural
Riot Act
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:Haven't listened to an album since Riot Act, which if the latter albums were a tier below it then there's no need since I hated RA.

My ranking:
Yield
Vitalogy
No Code
Vs
Ten
Binaural
Riot Act

FWIW I prefer both Lightning Bolt and Avocado to Riot Act. Considerably. The only album I would put below it is Backspacer.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Came home kinda buzzed last night and finally got around to purchasing Ukelele Songs and a CD version of Backspacer. I'm in full on PJ mode. :ugeek:

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

The new stuff is sounding good live.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Hey, cool. I don't stay up late enough to watch talk shows anymore, but I'll enjoy these on Youtube the next day.

*edited to add, lol, dierks bentley

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/10/11/nbcs-late-night-with-jimmy-fallon-celebrates-pearl-jam-october-21-25-with-a-full-week-of-performances-honoring-the-iconic-band/208507/

NBC’S “LATE NIGHT WITH JIMMY FALLON” CELEBRATES PEARL JAM OCTOBER 21-25 WITH A FULL WEEK OF PERFORMANCES HONORING THE ICONIC BAND

The Week Will Feature Two Nights of Performances by Pearl Jam and Special Performances by Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell, the Avett Brothers, Fleet Foxes frontman Robin Pecknold and Dierks Bentley

NEW YORK – October 11, 2013 – Continuing in its tradition of paying tribute to the best in music, NBC’s “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” (Monday-Friday, 12:35 a.m. ET) will highlight Pearl Jam’s extraordinary catalogue for the entire week of October 21-25. The weeklong celebration is timed to the October 15th release of the band’s new album, “Lightning Bolt.” Each night, the show’s musical guest will perform a specially selected song from the band’s expansive discography.

On Monday, October 21, Fallon welcomes Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell to perform the song “Footsteps” with the Avett Brothers. The instrumental of this song previously appeared in a different form as the track "Times of Trouble" in the 1991 self-titled album by Temple Of The Dog, which featured Cornell collaborating with the members of Pearl Jam.

Fleet Foxes frontman Robin Pecknold will give his first television performance in nearly two years when he covers "Corduroy" backed by special guests on Tuesday, October 22.

Wednesday night, country music superstar Dierks Bentley will be joined by Pearl Jam lead guitarist Mike McCready and The Roots for a one-of-a-kind performance. Bentley previously covered "Wish You Were Here" as part of “Late Night's” Pink Floyd tribute week in 2011. His 2009 album "Feel That Fire" features a guest appearance by McCready on the song "Life on the Run."

Pearl Jam closes out the week with performances on Thursday, October 24 and Friday, October 25. These will be Pearl Jam's only television appearances in conjunction with the new album. The band has not appeared on network television since a two-night stand on "Late Night" in September 2011 in support of the retrospective film and book "Pearl Jam 20."

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

I still feel as though I really like 75% of this album and than 25% is fatty. As a whole a good album.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot with some pretty brilliant music minds here..... I know Brendan O'Brien's resume. He's worked on great PJ albums as well as more classic albums of my generation that I count. But does anybody else sometimes feel like this album sounds too clean at points? Or at least Eddies vocals in the mix?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cubfan06 wrote:I still feel as though I really like 75% of this album and than 25% is fatty. As a whole a good album.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot with some pretty brilliant music minds here..... I know Brendan O'Brien's resume. He's worked on great PJ albums as well as more classic albums of my generation that I count. But does anybody else sometimes feel like this album sounds too clean at points? Or at least Eddies vocals in the mix?

There are definitely points that are too clean. "Future Days" would have stood a chance at not sucking if it had some grit to it.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Cubfan06 wrote:I still feel as though I really like 75% of this album and than 25% is fatty. As a whole a good album.

Yes, definitely. I feel like O'Brien found the perfect balance of clean/gritty on Yield, but has erred on the side of clean ever since. The arrangements also seem overly busy at times, with lots of extraneous things cluttering up the mix. On the first few listens, LB doesn't seem to suffer from that as much as Backspacer did, but it's still there. And there are a couple songs where I wish the guitars were more prominent, Sirens especially. First thing I'm gonna do when I get home is rip the CD and snip off the piano at the beginning/end of Future Days. Hopefully that'll help.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

That said, the whole thing sounds nice on the big boy stereo at home. Even Future Days.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

After a bunch of listens, here's my highly scientific track by track ratings.

1) Getaway - 9/10. One of those songs that instantly brings to mind half a dozen other PJ songs (I hear Sad, I Got Shit, Word Wide Suicide, and Not For You), somehow without feeling like a retread. Love it. Great bass line, too.

2) Mind Your Manners - 5/10. Solid, but punk is my least favorite PJ mode. They could crank out 10 of these in a day if they wanted to. The live versions of this I've seen on Youtube have been embarrassing to watch.

3) My Father's Son - 10/10. By far the weirdest song they've done since at least Riot Act. Two basses, barely any guitars, a calypso bridge, with Eddie ranting about daddy issues, DNA, and insemination over the top. After Backspacer, I didn't think they had this in them anymore. Glad to be proved wrong.

4) Sirens - 7/10. Still deciding how I feel about this one. Sounds an awful lot like the kind of music they helped kill off in the early 90s. Yet I can't stop listening...

5) Lightning Bolt - 6/10. Has all the components of a standard issue, rousing PJ anthem, yet somehow ends up being less than the sum of its parts. I can't really point to any one thing I dislike (maybe some awkward phrasing in the lyrics?); it just doesn't really stick with me.

6) Infallible - 6/10. I think I'm finally over my initial disappointment with this song and am ready to accept it on its own terms, as an inoffensive pop ballad with a few neat production tricks. Still, it's hard to hear that opening riff and not wish they'd have taken it someplace darker.

7) Pendulum - 8/10. After two-and-a-half albums of straight-forward pop-rock, it's refreshing to see them be willing to go someplace dark, weird, and potentially alienating again. Apparently this was recorded for Backspacer but left off for whatever reason. I think it works better here. The "ah-ah-ah-ah-ah" part has been stuck in my head for days. Also, more great bass.

8) Let the Records Play - 6/10. This album's Supersonic or Big Wave. I lied when I said punk is my least favorite PJ mode -- that honor goes to "fun PJ." A reviewer called this "The Hokey Pokey as interpreted by the Doors," and it's hard not to disagree. I won't skip it if it comes on, but I can't see myself ever going out of my way to listen to this. Kinda sad that this is Stone's lone songwriting credit on this album. The man wrote Alive, Even Flow, and Daughter! What happened?

9) Swallowed Whole - 8/10. I want to hate it for the dopey, casually spiritual/pantheistic lyrics (if pagans went to church on Sundays, this would be their worship music), but then that bridge happens, the guitar solo takes off, and I'm sold. Sounds like one of Eddie's Into the Wild songs on steroids.

10) Sleeping By Myself - 9/10. I'm a big fan of the Ukelele Songs version, and this manages to improve on that with a tasteful, no frills arrangement and some Beatle-esque electric guitar. Just a great, well written pop song. I could see this being a modest hit if they decide to release it.

11) Yellow Moon - 9/10. Like Getaway, echoes a bunch of other PJ songs (Low Light, Other Side, Hard Sun from ITW, their cover of NY's Walk With Me) without being redundant. Love the way it builds, and the two guitar solos are well placed. Nice nod to NY's Helpless in the chorus.

12) Future Days - 4/10. Sigh.

Overall - 7.25. After Backspacer, my expectations for the future of PJ as a whole (not to mention the next record) were at an all time low. While not in the top tier of their catalog, Lightning Bolt manages to exceed my expectations, and depending how it ages, could end up somewhere in the middle of their catalog for me. 10 albums and 22 years into their career, I'll take it.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Pretty good analysis.

I wouldn't rate "My Father's Son" as a 10/10, but I understand why it works for you on that level. Definitely agree on being down on "punk" PJ or "fun" PJ, although I would argue that early in their career they did both ("Spin the Black Circle" for the former, "Dirty Frank" for the latter) successfully.

Early favorites (I haven't given it near as many listens) are "Getaway", "Swallowed Whole", "Sleeping By Myself", "Yellow Moon", and "Sirens". I agree that "Sirens" comes off as a song that should be lame, but somehow it isn't, and it manages to reach that cathartic point that Pearl Jam has just been so naturally able to achieve throughout their career.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Iowan wrote:Pretty good analysis.

I wouldn't rate "My Father's Son" as a 10/10, but I understand why it works for you on that level. Definitely agree on being down on "punk" PJ or "fun" PJ, although I would argue that early in their career they did both ("Spin the Black Circle" for the former, "Dirty Frank" for the latter) successfully.

Early favorites (I haven't given it near as many listens) are "Getaway", "Swallowed Whole", "Sleeping By Myself", "Yellow Moon", and "Sirens". I agree that "Sirens" comes off as a song that should be lame, but somehow it isn't, and it manages to reach that cathartic point that Pearl Jam has just been so naturally able to achieve throughout their career.

Love punk PJ. Mind Your Manners is one of my favorites on this album and it was also one of my faves to see live at the Wrigley show.

I was so turned off by Sirens when it came out. I despised it until I got my hard-copy of the album yesterday and was able to play it through my speakers of choice. Ament's bass playing on that is strong.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Did you guys see that setlist from last night in Worchester? I thought it looked pretty fucking solid.

Instrumental Pendulum>
Release
Long Road
Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town
Lightning Bolt
Mind Your Manners
Hail Hail
Sirens
Even Flow
Nothing as It Seems
Swallowed Whole
Red Mosquito