Artist Of The Week - 3.11.2013 - Richard Thompson

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Artist Of The Week - 3.11.2013 - Richard Thompson

Post by StevieRay »

Richard Thompson

He's known to legions of music nerd fans as "King Richard." He is a stubborn English Bulldog of folk-rock-music-style (whatever that is). Widespread commercial success would have enveloped him literally decades ago if he might but have listened to music executives... and, may the music gods bless him for NOT having done so!

RT's musical roots are Americana; but, if it can be said that Brit "invasion" rockers of the sixties brought North Americans back to their own heritage of blues, gospel, country, etc. via the rock 'n' roll medium - then so too would folk rock music find it's earlier beginnings through artists like Richard Thompson.

Allegedly, folks appreciate being "cheered up" by their music. Apparently music must be sunny & cheery or smooth and innocuous. One must not be brought any further down. Richard Thompson does not agree with this line of thought. If a sad story is told in a song then he relishes that his own sad thoughts are valid. If something dreadful comes about in a passage of lyrics, then, to him it could not be any worse than the evening news. Indeed he does us all "one better" and wherever possible (within the bounds of good taste) he makes light of it.

In the intro to this clip RT talks about his penchant for writing songs with dark or sad subject matter. Kind of reminds me of someone else we know in that regard. The song "Beeswing" from the 1994 album Mirror Blue is a ballad that tells a sorrowful story of love found and lost:

Oh she was a rare thing, fine as a bee's wing
So fine a breath of wind might blow her away

RT is between Jack White and John Mclaughlin on Rolling Stone's updated 2011 list of 100 Greatest Guitarists Of All Time. He is much closer to the top of the list on David Fricke's 2003 selection.

In the last years of the sixties it must have seemed as if guitar prodigies grew on trees. Perhaps listeners thought the likes of Clapton, Page, Harrison, Hendrix, Garcia, Jorma Kaukonen, Clarence White, Mick Taylor, Roy Buchanan, etc. were just going to keep coming along indefinately. If this were the case, then a scarcely twenty-year-old Richard Thompson on lead guitar for the stellar 1969 Fairport Convention trilogy of albums {What We Did On Our Holidays, Unhalfbricking, Liege & Lief} was just another. Ho hum.

'69, '69, '69
ImageImageImage

As a kid, young Richard had the benefit of his father's vast collection of Jazz records available to him, whilst drinking in Buddy Holly and Jerry Lee Lewis on the radio. The early Fairport stuff is heavily influenced by Dylan and The Band; also it brings a dash of Jefferson Airplane to the mix. Musical talent was in no shortage with this band that would eventually tour the U.S. as an opening act for CSN & Y in 1970. Thompson was immediately restless that they were not playing original music when the band debuted in '67, when (like The Byrds) they were leaning on Dylan tunes that were either unreleased or had less radio play. One of RT's earliest compositions was a song called "Genesis Hall" which appears on Unhalfbricking:

When the rivers run thicker than trouble
I'll be there at your side in the flood
T'was all I could do to keep myself
From taking revenge on your blood

Thompson's debut as a solo artist was a 1972 album Henry The Human Fly. It has the ignominious status as having been the the worst selling record in the history of Warner Brothers:

This album is actually a template for his later critical if not commercial success as a solo artist. The music combines a unique blend of folk rock that's identifiably British and which delivers a literary style of lyrical storytelling laid down over masterful and diverse Thompson guitar trade-craft.

"The Poor Ditching Boy" from Henry The Human Fly:

Richard Thompson married Linda Peters in the early seventies, and, Linda became the vocal delivery to Richard's songwriting. They are best known for the 1982 "break-up" album Shoot Out The Lights:

Although Shoot Out the Lights is number nine on Rolling Stone's list of "100 Best Albums of the Eighties," the first three albums they produced are phenomenally good as well (if not permeated by the same level of angst):

'74, '75, '75
ImageImageImage

Fantastic 1974 title track from Richard & Linda Thompson's I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight:

A couple of drunken nights rolling on the floor
Is just the kind of mess I'm looking for
I'm gonna dream 'till Monday comes in sight
I want to see the bright lights tonight

Calvary Cross:

Here is Elvis Costello + The Impostors backing RT in 2009 on "Shoot Out The Lights" which is the title track from the aforementioned last album with Linda.

In the dark, who can see his face?
In the dark, who can reach him?
He hides like a child. He hides like a child.
Keeps his finger on the trigger
You know he can't stand the day
Shoot out the lights.

If possible, here is one that's even darker... "When The Spell Is Broken" from the 1985 album Across A Crowded Room:

RT in the 80's:
ImageImageImage

RT in the 90's:
ImageImageImage

RT seems to have made an art-form of getting let go from record labels. By the nineties he actually turned this trend around, and, had a clause written in with Capitol that allowed him to self-release his own live albums.

"1952 Vincent Black Lightning" from the 1991 album Rumor And Sigh might be RT's most popular song:

Says James "In my opinion, there's nothing in this world
Beats a 52 Vincent and a red headed girl.
Now Nortons and Indians and Greeves won't do,
Ah, they don't have a soul like a Vincent 52"
Oh he reached for her hand and he slipped her the keys
Said "I've got no further use for these.
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome,
Swooping down from heaven to carry me home"
And he gave her one last kiss and died
And he gave her his Vincent to ride.

This clip is really outstanding featuring RT in top form with a full band. The song is "Cooksferry Queen" from the 1999 album Mock Tudor:

She could get the lame to walking
She could get the blind to see
She could make wine out of Thames river water
She could make a believer out of me

Also from Mock Tudor is this gem "Sibella":

Like a myth you rode in from the west
From the go you had my button pressed
Did the tea-time of your soul
Make you long for wilder days?
Did you never let Jack Kerouac
Wash over you in waves?

Mock Tudor is a truly fine album in that the production was a live-in-the-studio style that seems to best suit RT. He seems to have stuck with this format since. Prior to Mock Tudor RT had been working with Mitchell Froom for a series of albums dating back to the late '80's, and, some critics have found that what worked wonders for Los Lobos on The Neighborhood and Kiko may have occasionally stifled his more otherwise organic delivery. Beyond any of that music industry babble, however, is a truly phenomenal collection of songs. It's just a plain old great record.

Walking The Long Miles Home:

Dad's Gonna Kill Me from Sweet Warrior:

Haul Me Up from Dream Attic:

From the new album:

These are a treat:

documentary on RT who truly comes across as a personable "musician's musician" (seven parts):

4sooner

Re: Artist Of The Week - 3.11.2013 - Richard Thompson

Post by 4sooner »

Excellent write up Stevie Ray.
RT is a criminally overlooked artist. Motivated me to listen to Liege & Lief. Been too long since I've heard this one.
Probably go to Bright Lights next.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

An artist I have had on my "to-do list" to get into for a while. I am aware of his history and legacy. I register Shoot Out The Lights from time to time shows up in various "best albums of all time" lists.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

A long and brilliant career summarized beautifully.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Alsum! And perfect timing as Richard Thompson has a new album out.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

the new RT album is excellent!

as are most of his other stuff from his illustrious career. try to catch him live if you can.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Finally catching up to this treatise on one of my all-time favorites. Great job Stevie Ray.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Really surprised there weren't more comments on this thread. That said, I'm really just getting into RT myself. Just doing some Spotify and Youtub'in and ran across this recent performance on Letterman where he performs a song off his new album.

Just curious if there is any relation to this song:

I haven't really listened to all the lyrics from RT's peice but judging by the chorus' it almost seems like this song might at least in part be a response to Todd Snider's chorus in New York Banker. "Good things happen to bad people....but only just for a while..."
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

StevieRay

Post by StevieRay »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:I haven't really listened to all the lyrics from RT's peice but judging by the chorus' it almost seems like this song might at least in part be a response to Todd Snider's chorus in New York Banker. "Good things happen to bad people....but only just for a while..."

Surely Richard Thompson must be a Todd Snider fan. Great observation!

StevieRay

Post by StevieRay »

Aquarium Drunkard had an interesting post on April 2. Richard and Linda had a phase in the later '70's where they lived in a Sufi commune. Their music from this period is not the high water mark of RT's career; and, I had largely skipped over it.

Here is the post transposed in it's entirety:

“Some songs deserve to fall off the radar,” wrote Richard Thompson curtly in response to a question on his website about a handful of “lost” tunes he and his then-wife Linda Thompson debuted back in 1977. The songs in question: “The Madness of Love,” “King of Love,” “Bird In God’s Garden,” “Rescue Me,” and “The Fire In The Garden.” Fortunately, we’ve got this bootleg tape of Richard and Linda playing in London with a short-lived ensemble. Richard and Linda had been off the radar for at least a year, having retreated to a Sufi commune in 1975. This UK tour was meant to be their grand return, but Richard must’ve had second thoughts, ditching the aforementioned lost tunes and not returning to the stage until more than a year later. But whatever his dissatisfaction with this period stems from, this is a great gig. Maybe they were a little out of step with the burgeoning punk scene — no one else was playing Islamic Folk-Jazz Rock in 1977 as far as I know. But the playing here is marvelous, with keyboardist Ian Whiteman dueling with Thompson on some extended, trance-like jams. As opposed to, say, Bob Dylan’s fire ‘n’ brimstone Born Again years, Richard’s turn towards religion resulted in mostly good vibrations — these songs are joyful expressions of faith and devotion.

Richard and Linda are, of course, no longer a musical or personal team. But Richard continues to create stunning work. His recent Electric LP is, well, electrifying, with mindsplitting guitar solos galore and a lean, mean power trio sound. He’s the only one who can do what he does, and what he does is incredibly powerful, year after year. words/ t wilcox

Download: Richard & Linda Thompson :: Theatre Royal, London, UK, May 1, 1977

1. Madness of Love 2. Night Comes In 3. Rescue Me 4. Strange Affair 5. The Fire In The Garden 6. When I Get To The Border 7. Bird In God’s Garden 8. First Light 9. King of Love

StevieRay

Post by StevieRay »

This release is fantastic!:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Excellent and fascinating article in today's NYT about RT's son Teddy and the making of a "Thompson family album."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/09/magaz ... d=39564728

At least according to author Susan Dominus, Teddy is quite an artist in his own right - anyone familiar w/ his work?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Excellent and fascinating article in today's NYT about RT's son Teddy and the making of a "Thompson family album."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/09/magaz ... d=39564728

At least according to author Susan Dominus, Teddy is quite an artist in his own right - anyone familiar w/ his work?