the Springsteen thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: the Springsteen thread

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:Oh yeah, shuffle, u reminded me of some "interesting" times i had on the backstreets board a while back. You're right, at least some really loud people really like "serenade" lol.

I'm w/ you, Iowan: Disc 1 >> Disc 2 of The River. A lot of the disc 2 tracks are great live (e.g. Cadillac Ranch, I'm a Rocker, Ramrod) but i don't think it holds a candle to disc 1.

Point Blank
Cadillac Ranch
I'm a Rocker
Fade Away
Stolen Car
Ramrod
Price You Pay
Drive All Night
Wreck on the Highway
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:Oh yeah, shuffle, u reminded me of some "interesting" times i had on the backstreets board a while back. You're right, at least some really loud people really like "serenade" lol.

I'm w/ you, Iowan: Disc 1 >> Disc 2 of The River. A lot of the disc 2 tracks are great live (e.g. Cadillac Ranch, I'm a Rocker, Ramrod) but i don't think it holds a candle to disc 1.

I think Disc 1, if it had been the album, would be a Top 3 Springsteen album. Hell, you could probably make the argument that it is It's not like Disc 2 sucks, but it's clearly weaker than the first. Maybe if the tracks had remained b-sides and been played live, you'd have a better overall album, but still get the great live qualities.

I'm somewhat of a Springsteen novice compared to many here (I only own Asbury Park, Wild/Innocnet, River, Born in the USA, Nebraska and Born to Run) and was wondering what the quintessential live Boss DVD would be, if there even is a decided #1.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

What's your point, Clams?

Side one's got the river, independence day and hungry heart and i'll just stop there because there's no point in beating a mollusk when he's down. :D I didn't say disc 2 was bad, and i didn't say that 10,000 bands wouldn't kill to make something as good. I only said it's not nearly as good as disc 1. And it's not.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'm not a dvd fan in general and don't claim to know what the range of boss dvd's are, but u absolutely positively can't go wrong w/ the hammersmith dvd included in the born to run re-issue. It's freakin' ALSUM. I think Live in NYC from the reunion tour is really good too, but there may be others as good or better, i dont know.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Don't forget Ties that Bind, Sherry Darling, Jackson Cage, and You Can Look.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:I only said it's not nearly as good as disc 1. And it's not.

Okay well thanks for setting me straight! :roll:

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

If you want a Springsteen dvd then the Hammersmith Odeon one is what you should get. It's mesmerising. Unfortunately it's only included on the 30th Anniversery Edition of Born To Run but you should be able to get that cheaply since it's a couple of years old...I got it (the whole set) about a year and a half ago for less than a new cd would cost me.
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

Clams

Post by Clams »

Rumor has it there will be a Darkness on the Edge of Town reissue later this year most likely with a DVD from that tour. Those shows were just tremendous. I know the Phoenix show was at least partially filmed and youtube has clips from the Largo, MD and Passaic, NJ shows. Any DVD from that tour would be really good.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I only said it's not nearly as good as disc 1. And it's not.

Okay well thanks for setting me straight! :roll:

I've got several boxes of "because i said so's" lying in the basement that i have to get rid of. Shit never worked the way the mfr promised.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Iowan wrote:
Few songs make me want to seriously dance. 10th Ave Freeze Out does. I'll leave it at that.

Well I do like 10th Avenue Freezeout. To me, a song has to be popular to be overrated; and of the more popular Springsteen songs that one does the least for me (but maybe that's 'coz I can dance to just about anything).
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

See, I've never thought of 10th Ave Freezeout as one of the more popular Springsteen songs. You'll never hear it on classic rock radio in the midwest. I'd honestly never heard the song before I bought Born to Run, so I've only been exposed to it of my own volition.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Iowan wrote:
See, I've never thought of 10th Ave Freezeout as one of the more popular Springsteen songs. You'll never hear it on classic rock radio in the midwest. I'd honestly never heard the song before I bought Born to Run, so I've only been exposed to it of my own volition.

It still gets some love on classic rock here on the east coast (we probably get more Bruce in general). I don't reach for the dial or anything like that; but there isn't the same giddy excitement as when I hear the opening notes of some of his other tunes. It was played ad nauseum back in the day, and It kinda wore out its welcome w/me. Most of his other stuff has stood my test of time.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Down here the only Bruce we get on the radio is "Glory Days", "I'm on Fire", "Dancing in the Dark" and "Born in the USA" (and occasionally Born to Run)
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:Down here the only Bruce we get on the radio is "Glory Days", "I'm on Fire", "Dancing in the Dark" and "Born in the USA" (and occasionally Born to Run)

Another reason why real estate is so much cheaper down there.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

We get "Glory Days", "Dancin in the Dark", "Born in the USA", "Born to Run", "Hungry Heart", "The River", and (blech) "Secret Garden". That's about it. I think Springsteen is truly a mega star on the east coast, but as you get west of the Mississippi and south of the Mason-Dixon, while still being considered a rock icon and extremely well known, his catalogue is far less over exposed to the masses outside a few mega-hits.

Clams

Post by Clams »

New Darkness box set coming in November. Three CD's, three DVD's, plus an 80-page "notebook"

http://www.backstreets.com/news.html

(the film excerpt in the Backstreets link is fantastic)

and I love this...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:New Darkness box set coming in November. Three CD's, three DVD's, plus an 80-page "notebook"

http://www.backstreets.com/news.html

(the film excerpt in the Backstreets link is fantastic)

and I love this...

Yowza!!

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

that box set looks amazing
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Max Weinberg will not be making the move w/ Conan to Conan's new show. I thought y'all would want to know.

Flea

Post by Flea »

FYI, there is a rumor going round from a pretty reliable source that Bruce is gonna be doing either a solo tour starting within the next few months, or possibly with a stripped-down E St Band (3 or 4 other members rather than all 8).
Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Flea wrote:FYI, there is a rumor going round from a pretty reliable source that Bruce is gonna be doing either a solo tour starting within the next few months, or possibly with a stripped-down E St Band (3 or 4 other members rather than all 8).

That would be cool b/c the best tour he's done in the last 10 years was the solo one for Devils & Dust. I'd much rather see him stripped down or solo than yet another snoozer with the full band.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Flea wrote:FYI, there is a rumor going round from a pretty reliable source that Bruce is gonna be doing either a solo tour starting within the next few months, or possibly with a stripped-down E St Band (3 or 4 other members rather than all 8).

That would be cool b/c the best tour he's done in the last 10 years was the solo one for Devils & Dust. I'd much rather see him stripped down or solo than yet another snoozer with the full band.

I think someone put a spell on you, clams.

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
Clams wrote:

Can't attest to any hexing, but I damn near fell asleep sitting in the 4th row at the only D&D show I saw. Bruce needs a band behind him.
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Well, if it makes u feel any better, Flea, the Tom Joad tour was worse than the D&D shows.

I've seen Bruce do some pretty neat stuff solo, but not when he's playing some of his worst material in earnest, uber politically correct wish i was a poor toothless, homeless folkie style. But in any case, you're right, even the "neat" solo stuff doesn't measure up to the boss at his best, which is w/ a band, especially the E Street Band (props to the Seeger Sessions Band, too, but I'd pretty much take Bruce fronting any Wed nite bar band in America).

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Good morning Bruce fans,

I am extending an apology for my apparent dislike of Bruce. I allowed what was going on in my personal life (not that it is a big secret here) to voice an opinion that some took as a pesonal slap in the face from me.

People are people, they will do what they will. Whether or not we agree with it. I was rather blunt and probably pretty rude.

BC
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

Clams

Post by Clams »

emandrisdad wrote:http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bruce_springsteen_in_nj_couple_engagement_gxjNqSJV4bWWX888lVchiO?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME= For you Springsteen fans.

he is a cool dude

Clams

Post by Clams »

Flea wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Can't attest to any hexing, but I damn near fell asleep sitting in the 4th row at the only D&D show I saw. Bruce needs a band behind him.

His shows with the E Street Band are fun but his preaching schtick and pumping up the audience gets old. Songs like Badlands and Thunder Road have lost their vitality and should be retired for at least a few years. A ten-minute Outlaw Pete? 'nuff said.

I only saw one show but I had a lot of appreciation for the D&D tour. It was an intimate setting, he rearranged some material (Reason to Believe), played some different instruments, went back to some long-ignored older material (Stolen Car, Wreck on the Highway). Totally different show, loved it.

I actually enjoyed the Seeger Sessions record and tour as well. I think he's at the point in his career where he needs to do different things to keep it fresh (See, Young, Neil; Dylan, Bob). Continually playing the same old songs in big arenas and huge festivals with the E Street Band doesn't do that.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

So, I know this insane woman from another board who insists that Bruce is a child molester because of the line Hey little girl, is your daddy home?

Discuss.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

one belt loop wrote:So, I know this insane woman from another board who insists that Bruce is a child molester because of the line Hey little girl, is your daddy home?

Discuss.

I'm not sure what to say except that yes, the woman sounds insane.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved