Classic Clips

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Classic Clips

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Any and all definitions of "underappreciated"/"underrated" apply here:

Kudzu Guillotine

Cool feature from the folks at Dangerous Minds that compiles videos for many of the songs included on Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era, 1965-1968:

'Nuggets' On Video: Sixties Garage Rock, Proto-Pun Megapost (Part 1)

Kudzu Guillotine

Fogerty with Garcia, Weir, Randy Jackson and Steve Jordan at Oakland Coliseum in 1989.

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

Never anything wrong with a good live version of this song:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/6GDIkb5CDUY[/youtube]

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Modern clip of a classic song. Gilmour fills in for Stephen Stills quite nicely

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Bruce Springsteen and Melissa Etheridge on MTV Unplugged in 1995:

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Zip City wrote:Modern clip of a classic song. Gilmour fills in for Stephen Stills quite nicely

Gave me chills - thanks for sharing.

Kudzu Guillotine

Maria McKee, Van Dyke Parks, Stevie Ray Vaughan, David Sanborn and friends covering Little Feat's "Sailing Shoes" on Night Music way back when:

Kudzu Guillotine

For anyone with more than a passing interest in James Taylor, this was filmed fairly early on in his career.

Kudzu Guillotine

Some of the very first "country-rock" I ever heard.

Kudzu Guillotine

June 2 of this year will mark the 34th anniversary of a concert I saw at Carter Stadium (now Carter-Finley) in Raleigh, NC called June Jam that included Poco, Van Halen, Boston and the Outlaws. Last night, I stumbled across the footage below of Boston performing at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ which also comes from June of 1979. Also on the bill that day were Poco and the Outlaws (no Van Halen) so this is from the same time frame when I saw virtually the same line up. At the time, I wasn't too fond of Boston's performance but looking back on it now, I have to say I may have been a little too hard on them as far as recreating the sound of their studio albums albums in concert. It also didn't help that it took seemingly forever for them to load a massive pipe organ onto the stage. I had no idea of it at the time but apparently it was just a stage prop. I really have no idea what that was all about but it was a colossal waste of time, especially since it was never played (and evidently couldn't be played). As I recall, Van Halen followed Boston (though some dispute this and have said it was the other way around) and the crowd grew increasingly restless as Boston took their dear, sweet time getting on stage. It was hotter than 40 hells that day and the alcohol and weed were following freely. Combine all of those elements together and you have a recipe for disaster, which is nearly what happened that afternoon when everyone started tossing red plastic NCSU cups in the air and eventually at each other and onto the stage. To make a volatile situation even worse, some folks starting throwing other objects, including glass liquor bottles. During Van Halen's set, someone stacked a bunch of those red plastic cups together and tossed them towards the stage, knocking David Lee Roth upside the head. That nearly brought the entire concert to a halt right there but thankfully it didn't.

In any case, stumbling upon this performance has caused me to reevaluate my original thoughts on Boston's performance that day. The issue of the pipe organ aside, I think they did a damn good job. I was holding them to near impossible standards due to the pristine sound quality of those first couple studio records, something they never could have lived up to on a concert stage. In this day and age of Pro Tools, Autotune, etc. I think they were just as representative of live, kick ass rock n' roll as their cohorts they shared a stage with that afternoon. I know that Boston and similar bands of that time like Foreigner, Journey, Styx, Kansas, etc. aren't thought of very highly by a lot of folks but I can't think of very many chart topping rock n' roll bands aside from maybe Foo Fighters that could bring it in 2013 as Boston did on that blistering ass hot day in June back in 1979. For whatever it's worth, I never held a lot of those bands in very high esteem back in those days either but I'm also not ashamed to admit that at one time or another, I've owned records by each of them. After taking a respite from Classic Rock radio for many, many years I heard "More Than A Feeling" on the radio the other day and cranked that shit up as loud as it would go just like I did when I first heard it back in 1976. I understand the criticisms often leveled at "corporate rock" bands like Boston and agree with many of them but performing without the benefit of studio craft (which is what they cemented their reputation on) forced them rely on their skills as a basic rock n' roll band in a live setting, something that is on full display in their performance below.

Kudzu Guillotine

Notting Hillbillies on Saturday Night Live 1990

Kudzu Guillotine

I heard a version of "The Weight" by the New Riders of the Purple Sage on WSHA (Shaw University's station) this afternoon which is what led me to this. Very cool find as there's not a lot of footage of the New Riders out there that I'm aware of, especially from this era. This comes from a DVD called The Lost Broadcasts.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Steve Allen probably never thought he'd hear of this guy again:

A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Kudzu Guillotine

Johnny Winter And (with Rick Derringer) from 1970. I'm constantly amazed at the amount of vintage footage there is out there of Johnny.

Kudzu Guillotine

Recently posted footage of Ryan Adams performing at Vintage Vinyl Records in Fords, NJ on 10.4.00:

Kudzu Guillotine

34 years ago today at Comiskey Park in Chicago, the infamous Disco Demolition Night. Much ado about nothing? Full disclosure, I owned a "Disco Sucks" t-shirt back in the 70's.

Kudzu Guillotine

I'm not sure of the year this was filmed but from the beard I'm guessing it was around the time of The South Coast of Texas (1981). Guy has also apparently very rarely toured with a full band. From the Kerrville Folk Festival in Texas:

Kudzu Guillotine

I disappeared down the Bobby Bare rabbit hole over the weekend. Lots of good stuff he did on his interview show on TNN back in the early 80's. This particular one with John Prine is from 1985:

Kudzu Guillotine

44 years ago this weekend. When there was talk of having a 10th anniversary concert in '79 one of my brothers said we'd go if they ever had another one. When that became a reality in 1994 on the occasion of the 25th anniversary he conveniently forgot he'd ever said that so I ended up going on my own. It was obviously nothing like the original, nor did I have any aspirations that it would be. In retrospect, I could have ended up going to one they had in Bethel that year (which got canceled but ended up happening anyway) but I really have no regrets. Chances are, I'll probably never go to a concert of that magnitude again in my lifetime.

Kudzu Guillotine

Jason and the Scorchers circa 1985

Kudzu Guillotine

The Smithereens on some late night talk show circa 1986:

Kudzu Guillotine

I might be wrong, but I think this was recorded for Beat-Club (not for the often misquoted MusikLaden, which replaced Beat-Club on December 13, 1972). The show was broadcast on March 25, 1972 (referred to as Episode #1.77). Any corrections are most welcome.

The broadcast seems to showcase Side A of the forthcoming double album release (April 12, 1972) almost in its entirety and track-by-track.

Manassas was a fairly short-lived project, but a highly creative one. The double album was in a sense a concept album of different genres from which the band could quite easily and most skilfully draw upon.

The core members of Manassas were:

Stephen Stills: vocals, keyboards & guitar (CSNY, ex-Buffalo Springfield)
Chris Hillman: vocals, mandolin & guitar (ex-Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers)
Al Perkins: steel guitar & guitar (ex-Gram Parsons and Flying Burrito Brothers)
Calvin "Fuzzy" Samuels: bass, backing vocals (ex-CSNY and John Sebastian)
Paul Harris: keyboards (played with John Sebastian during 1968-71)
Dallas Taylor: drums (ex-Clear Light, CSNY and John Sebastian)
Joe Lala: percussion, backing vocals (ex-Blues Image and Pacific Gas & Electric)

Kudzu Guillotine

Can't say I remember this incident but it doesn't surprise me in the least.

Kudzu Guillotine

Waylon and Willie at the second Farm Aid circa 1986:

Kudzu Guillotine

The best of The Midnight Special 1977.

Manfred Man
Heart
Marvin Gaye
Dave Mason
Sanford & Townsend
Thelma Houston
Bread
Andy Gibb
Bonnie Raitt
Johnny Rivers
The Emotions
Leo Sayer
Van Morrison
Lou Rawls
Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr.

Kudzu Guillotine

Though I loved the videos from this era, this is 'round about the time I was starting to lose interest in these guys in a big way but they really bring it here.

Kudzu Guillotine