Artist Of The Week 2/10/13; The Black Crowes

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Cole Younger

Artist Of The Week 2/10/13; The Black Crowes

Post by Cole Younger »

My first memory of The Black Crowes is seeing the video for Jealous Again early one morning on some cable music video show. We wouldn't have MTV for another two years when you no longer had to call up and specify that you did in fact want your MTV.

My dad and I were getting ready to go deer hunting one Saturday morning and the TV was turned down really low so as not to disturb my sleeping mama and sister. I was about 13 and Shake Your Money Maker had just come out. I had no idea who they were and the only reason it caught my eye at all was because I just glanced at the TV and thought Chris Robinson was Izzy Stradlin. :D I was a big, big Guns N Roses fan at the time. They hadn't been doing much of anything in the way of new music and I thought, "Dang, Izzy got tired of waiting around and started his own band." I quickly realized that I was mistaken but they had my attention by then so I gave it a listen. I liked what I heard well enough to wait until the song was over to see the little block down in the left hand corner of my TV screen that would let me know who these guys were. The Black Crowes.

It wasn't long, maybe a week or so, when I walked in the house and my sister was watching the same video. This time I got to see it almost in its entirety with the volume turned up a lot louder. This time I knew, I had found a new band that I liked and they didn't sound like anything that was populating the air waves and or being blasted from teenagers' cars at the time. Not in rural Georgia anyway.

At that time, most of the rock music I was exposed to was GNR, all the hair bands, in the cases of older guy around town who were seen as hard tails, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, and thanks to my sister the likes of R.E.M., The Cure, Drivin N Cryin and a host of other bands that I would pretend to hate but later just admit that I loved. Whoever these Crowes people were, they didn't sound like any of that stuff. They rocked for sure. But they didn't seem mad about anything like my beloved GNR and didn't seem like they wanted to kick your ass and do your sister. But they also didn't seem as whatever R.E.M. and those other bands seemed. Overly serious maybe I don't know.

I asked my sister, "What is this music? What do you call it?" she said, "It's just rock and roll." Indeed. It would be years before Rolling Stone would dub them, "The most 'rock and roll' rock and roll band in America.

I loved Jealous Again. I loved the entire album. And as burnt out on She Talks To Angels as I am, it was at a school dance that year that a girl everybody had the hots for, requested that song, and came up and asked ME to dance with her.

It wasn't long before I found out that the Crowes were from my very own Georgia. And the rest as they say, is history.

The Black Crowes, from Atlanta, Georgia, were formed by brother Chris and Rich Robinson. They've released a string of outstanding studio albums, some great live stuff, and partnered with Jimmy Page to record a surprisingly great set of live songs (you never know how something like that will turn out and often as not it flops).

Shake Your Money Maker (1990), named after an Elmore James song was just the beginning for the band that formerly gone by the name Mr. Crowe's Garden. Some idiot at a label had tried to convince them to dress in over alls and call themselves Kob Kounty Krowes (KKK) which they rightly rejected vehemently.

It would be Southern Harmony and Musical Companion (1992) that would see the band really establish who they were and for many it would be the "Oh I get it." moment where this band was concerned. If there has ever been a song any better than Remedy, I don't want to know anything about it. This record would see the band bring a more dynamic sound with the their influences (American Blues, R&B, The Stones, Zepp) being undeniable. However, the title was important as the Southern aspect of the band's sound would be more apparent. Thorn In My Pride was another hit from that album.

Amorica (1994) with it's contraversial album cover proved the bands consistency even if it was less of a commercial hit than its predecessors. It contains one of my absolute favorite Crowes songs in Wiser Time (it has been my favorite song period at times).

Three Snakes And One Charm (1996) has been my favorite Crowes album at times simply because it gets overlooked the most.

By Your Side (1999) was hailed as a "return to form" after Snakes and yielded a hit in the rocker Stop Kickin My Heart Around.

2001 saw what is, in my opinion, the only real misstep in band's catalogue in Lions. I was in the Marine Corps at the time and driving around Camp Lejeune one day I heard this awful noise coming out of my speakers from the locla rock station. I was shocked to find out that my Black Crowes were responsible for the awful song after it went off. It sounded nothing like them. I thought it Smashmouth or some ridiculous band like them. I wasn't surprised and a little relieved when they soon took a hiatus from touring and recording as a full band. Chris Robinson realeased some very good solo material in the next few years wit Rich releasing a solo album as well.

I was excited to hear of the impending release of War Paint (2008). I love Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution, Josephine, and Evergreen, from that album. But then I love the whole thing.

Next the guys released the Double Album Before The Frost...After The Freeze (2009)

And then an acoustic based set of hits, Croweology (2010) before taking a second hiatus that just ended.

This band is fronted by one of my all time favorite singers in Chris Robinson. The dude has so much soul and sounds good singing any type of music. I have discovered so much great, obscure country music because of Chris Robinson. As a front man at a live show, he is unbelieveable.

With Rich, Marc Ford, Luther Dickinson, and now Jackie Greene, they have been been a guitar lover's band. And Steve Gorman is incomparable as a drummer in my opinion.

If you made me choose my favorite rock band it would be the Truckers. And I would follow that by saying, "But I LOVE The Black Crowes."

Last edited by Cole Younger on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

bovine knievel

Re: Artist Of The Week 2/10/13; The Black Crowes

Post by bovine knievel »

Cole Younger wrote:If you made me choose my favorite rock band it would be the Truckers. And I would follow that by saying, "But I LOVE The Black Crowes."

I feel the same way.

Great job on the write-up
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Cole Younger wrote:My first memory of The Black Crowes is seeing the video for Jealous Again early one morning on some cable music video show. We wouldn't have MTV for another two years when you no longer had to call up and specify that you did in fact want your MTV.

My dad and I were getting ready to go deer hunting one Saturday morning and the TV was turned down really low so as not to disturb my sleeping mama and sister. I was about 13 and Shake Your Money Maker had just come out. I had no idea who they were and the only reason it caught my eye at all was because I just glanced at the TV and thought Chris Robinson was Izzy Stradlin. :D I was a big, big Guns N Roses fan at the time. They hadn't been doing much of anything in the way of new music and I thought, "Dang, Izzy got tired of waiting around and started his own band." I quickly realized that I was mistaken but they had my attention by then so I gave it a listen. I liked what I heard well enough to wait until the song was over to see the little block down in the left hand corner of my TV screen that would let me know who these guys were. The Black Crowes.

It wasn't long, maybe a week or so, when I walked in the house and my sister was watching the same video. This time I got to see it almost in its entirety with the volume turned up a lot louder. This time I knew, I had found a new band that I liked and they didn't sound like anything that was populating the air waves and or being blasted from teenagers' cars at the time. Not in rural Georgia anyway.

At that time, most of the rock music I was exposed to was GNR, all the hair bands, in the cases of older guy around town who were seen as hard tails, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, and thanks to my sister the likes of R.E.M., The Cure, Drivin N Cryin and a host of other bands that I would pretend to hate but later just admit that I loved. Whoever these Crowes people were, they didn't sound like any of that stuff. They rocked for sure. But they didn't seem mad about anything like my beloved GNR and didn't seem like they wanted to kick your ass and do your sister. But they also didn't seem as whatever R.E.M. and those other bands seemed. Overly serious maybe I don't know.

I asked my sister, "What is this music? What do you call it?" she said, "It's just rock and roll." Indeed. It would be years before Rolling Stone would dub them, "The most 'rock and roll' rock and roll band in America.

I loved Jealous Again. I loved the entire album. And as burnt out on She Talks To Angels as I am, it was at a school dance that year that a girl everybody had the hots for, requested that song, and came up and asked ME to dance with her.

It wasn't long before I found out that the Crowes were from my very own Georgia. And the rest as they say, is history.

The Black Crowes, from Atlanta, Georgia, were formed by brother Chris and Rich Robinson. They've released a string of outstanding studio albums, some great live stuff, and partnered with Jimmy Page to record a surprisingly great set of live songs (you never know how something like that will turn out and often as not it flops).

Shake Your Money Maker (1990), named after an Elmore James song was just the beginning for the band that formerly gone by the name Mr. Crowe's Garden. Some idiot at a label had tried to convince them to dress in over alls and call themselves Kob Kounty Krowes (KKK) which they rightly rejected vehemently.

It would be Southern Harmony and Musical Companion (1992) that would see the band really establish who they were and for many it would be the "Oh I get it." moment where this band was concerned. If there has ever been a song any better than Remedy, I don't want to know anything about it. This record would see the band bring a more dynamic sound with the their influences (American Blues, R&B, The Stones, Zepp) being undeniable. However, the title was important as the Southern aspect of the band's sound would be more apparent. Thorn In My Pride was another hit from that album.

Amorica (1994) with it's contraversial album cover proved the bands consistency even if it was less of a commercial hit than its predecessors. It contains one of my absolute favorite Crowes songs in Wiser Time (it has been my favorite song period at times).

Three Snakes And One Charm (1996) has been my favorite Crowes album at times simply because it gets overlooked the most.

By Your Side (1999) was hailed as a "return to form" after Snakes and yielded a hit in the rocker Stop Kickin My Heart Around.

2001 saw what is, in my opinion, the only real misstep in band's catalogue in Lions. I was in the Marine Corps at the time and driving around Camp Lejeune one day I heard this awful noise coming out of my speakers from the locla rock station. I was shocked to find out that my Black Crowes were responsible for the awful song after it went off. It sounded nothing like them. I thought it Smashmouth or some ridiculous band like them. I wasn't surprised and a little relieved when they soon took a hiatus from touring and recording as a full band. Chris Robinson realeased some very good solo material in the next few years wit Rich releasing a solo album as well.

I was excited to hear of the impending release of War Paint (2008). I love Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution, Josephine, and Evergreen, from that album. But then I love the whole thing.

Next the guys released the Double Album Before The Frost...After The Freeze (2009)

And then an acoustic based set of hits, Croweology (2010) before taking a second hiatus that just ended.

This band is fronted by one of my all time favorite singers in Chris Robinson. The dude has so much soul and sounds good singing any type of music. I have discovered so much great, obscure country music because of Chris Robinson. As a front man at a live show, he is unbelieveable.

With Rich, Marc Ford, Luther Dickinson, and now Jackie Greene, they have been been a guitar lover's band. And Steve Gorman is incomparable as a drummer in my opinion.

If you made me choose my favorite rock band it would be the Truckers. And I would follow that by saying, "But I LOVE The Black Crowes."

A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I can't believe there's never been a Crowes AOTW. Great work Cole. They are truly one of the greatest rock and roll bands of the last 20 years, and I don't think they get enough credit for being one.

The Crowes have been part of my musical lexicon as long as I can remember. My old man had "Shake Your Money Maker" whenever it hit big, and it got a lot of play in the car on family trips. I can't really remember anything prior to 1988, so for most of my conscious life, that album has been a part of it. I still listen to at least once every month or two. I didn't really start digging into the band on my own until the release of "Warpaint". Since then I've rounded out the collection, including the excellent Cabin Fever DVD.

To this day my most prized piece of music memorabilia is the set list from their 2009 show in Des Moines that my fiance (then girlfriend) ripped off Rich's monitor after the show. It's hanging on the wall of my man cave.

zoid

Post by zoid »

Cole Younger wrote:Shake Your Money Maker (1990), named after an Elmore James song was just the beginning for the band that formerly gone by the name Mr. Crowe's Garden. Some idiot at a label had tried to convince them to dress in over alls and call themselves Kob Kounty Krowes (KKK) which they rightly rejected vehemently.

It was label owner / producer Rick Rubin that wanted to change the name.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Mike Patton talking about TBC in 1992

I used to be a big fan of TBC, I think the first thing I ever bought was live at the Greek with Jimmy Page, a few years later when the band was on hiatus I saw DBT, New Earth Mud which was Chris' band and The Doors of the 21st Century at Music Midtown in Atlanta, that was cool.
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

Clams

Post by Clams »

I remember being in a rainy parking lot on a Sunday night the first time I heard Jealous Again (or was it Twice as Hard?) and thinking "Holy Shit... either the Stones just put out a really good new song or there's a great new band to check out!" I was so sick of all that Hair Metal and Jeff Lynne soft rock that was so popular back then and it was great to hear some real rock and roll for a change (I felt the same way about GnR back then too). I was really into the Crowes for a while (I saw them do a smoking hot show at the Tower Theater just after Southern Harmony came out) but I confess to falling off the bandwagon from about the mid 90's on. But they are a great rock band - definitely one of the best from 1990 on. They jumped the shark when Chris Robinson hooked up with Kate Hudson - she was way too Hollywood for a band like that. Great job, Cole Younger.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

This is IMHO outstanding! It's from their video Cabin Fever.

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

bovine knievel wrote:This is IMHO outstanding! It's from their video Cabin Fever.

I fucking love this performance. One of my favorite all-time songs and they just nail it.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

They did this a few years ago in Raleigh on the tour for Crowelogy, loved it.

I was a fan from the moment I heard them back in the early 90's. Like others have said, it only helped that they stood head and shoulders above most everything else that was out there at the time (namely "hair metal"). Yes, they were heavily retro and caught a lot of shit for it but it didn't take them too long to prove they were bringing something different to the table. I remember them playing several local clubs when they first released Moneymaker. I missed out on those shows but did see them at Memorial Auditorium in Raleigh on the tour for Southern Harmony. When I entered the room, it was like a step back in time. Not just because of the music but because of the overwhelming smell of reefer smoke and patchouli. My next time seeing them was when they headlined the HORDE Tour in '95 and they encored with "Pimper's Paradise" with Ziggy Marley. In '97 I caught them on the Furthur Festival tour and recall being somewhat thrown off by their set as there were only a few songs I recognized aside from "Remedy" and they seemed to have become much more "jammy". So much so that they sounded closer to the twin lead guitar sound of vintage Marshall Tucker Band than the Black Crowes. While I enjoyed it, there came a point where they lost me for a while. That would have everything to do with how they adopted more of a jam band sound than the meat n' potatoes rock n' roll sound I so closely associated them with. I came back onboard with By Your Side which was closer to the lean rock n' roll sound of their earlier records. Not a popular opinion I know but I've always been more a fan of their straight up rock songs than their jammy stuff.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Not a popular opinion I know but I've always been more a fan of their straight up rock songs than their jammy stuff.

I think I agree with this to an extent, and I think it highlights the genius of their past few records (Warpaint, Until The Frost/Before The Freeze, and Croweology) in that they've found a way to marry these two sides. Much like DBT, they are a straight up rock and roll band that can jam with the best of them. The only time I saw them live, they brought a near perfect balance of that and it remains one of the best shows I've seen.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Great job Cole, I discovered the Crowes not long after their debut album dropped and they quickly became one of my favorite bands. Have saw them several times, but the most memorable was when they played a "secret" show at Headliners in Louisville back in May 2005 under their old name, Mr Crowes Garden. Place was packed and they played a great set.

I don't listen to them nearly as much anymore, because like Kudzu, I much prefer the rock and roll Crowes to the jammy Crowes. Honestly, I had kinda already started to lose interest when DBT was opening for them, and when Marc Ford left, I basically had no desire to see them live again. I've tried to listen to the last few albums, but nothing has really clicked with me.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

rlipps wrote:Great job Cole, I discovered the Crowes not long after their debut album dropped and they quickly became one of my favorite bands. Have saw them several times, but the most memorable was when they played a "secret" show at Headliners in Louisville back in May 2005 under their old name, Mr Crowes Garden. Place was packed and they played a great set.

I don't listen to them nearly as much anymore, because like Kudzu, I much prefer the rock and roll Crowes to the jammy Crowes. Honestly, I had kinda already started to lose interest when DBT was opening for them, and when Marc Ford left, I basically had no desire to see them live again. I've tried to listen to the last few albums, but nothing has really clicked with me.

I'm surprised a fan of the rock and roll Crowes wouldn't have dug Warpaint.

Kudzu Guillotine

I didn't realize until last night that the Crowes had covered "Pimper's Paradise" as a b-side for their "Blackberry" single. The studio version doesn't do a whole lot for me (same for "Time Will Tell" from Southern Harmony) but I always appreciated the fact that they at least made a stab at it. I'll never forget a "stereoes of the stars" segment that aired on MTV's The Week In Rock way back when that included Chris Robinson. His portion of the piece opened with him listening to "Draw Your Brakes" by Scotty from the Harder They Come soundtrack. I dug up this live version of "Pimper's Paradise" from the HORDE tour in '95 which includes members of the Melody Makers and some funky dancing from Mr. Robinson. I much prefer this to the studio version. When I saw them, Ziggy joined him on lead vocals.

Flood18

Post by Flood18 »

best crowes cover imo

Clams

Post by Clams »

She'll tell you she's an orphan
After you meet her family

One of my favorite lyrics in all of rock and roll.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Great job Cole....seeing them April 8 and 9 at the 930 Club.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Posted this in the "Current Obsession" thread also, but why not? Its incredible. One of my favorite frontmen of the past 20 years, and one of my favorite Dead songs.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Very nice write-up, Cole. Loved The Crowes from jump street. Here's a spiffy cover from their debut album:

A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

i loved the first 2 albums. Each was pretty much all i listened to when it came out. After that it was all down hill as far as i was concerned. Before the Frost was something of a "comeback" and provided hope for the future. I've already gone back to Warpaint a couple of times at the behest of folks here and still haven't gotten it, but perhaps I'll try that one and some of the others again (I own most of 'em) thanks to CY and some others on this thread. But damn those first two albums rock.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Nice job Cole Younger!

I'm a big fan of The Black Crowes. I own most of their catalogue. I first saw them in 1990 at Lake Compounce in Bristol, CT when they opened for Aerosmith. Would have seen them again on that tour at Brendan Byrne Arena but we got lost and missed the Crowes. I still don't know how we got lost going from CT to the Meadowlands. :oops:

I continued to follow their career but somehow didn't see them again until June 2001 when I saw them open 2 shows for Neil Young & Crazy Horse in Germany. I think it was only 2 shows...saw 3 in Germany on that tour but pretty sure there was a different opener for one of those shows. That was when they had Audley Freed as the lead guitarist. While he's a fine player, those were my least favorite Black Crowes shows that I've seen. The first hiatus was on its way and in retrospect I'm not surprised.

I finally saw Marc F. Ford with the Crowes and a Crowes headlining show in Philly in 2006. DBT was the first opener of that show. I really enjoyed the show and am kicking myself to this day that it's the only time I saw the Crowes with MFF in the band.

In November 2008, I saw them do 2 acoustic shows at Town Hall in NYC. They were excellent shows and the only ones I saw with Luther Dickinson in the band.

In April I will see my first Crowes shows since Town Hall. I will seem them twice apiece at Capitol Theatre in Port Chester and Terminal 5 in NYC. Jackie Greene will be in the band for these shows.

My favorite albums by the Crowes are still The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion and Amorica but I am a big fan of what they have done since coming back from the first hiatus. I'm looking forward to the next part of their journey.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Thanks Cole Younger.

I've been aware of this band for ages. Must have been around the time when they released their first or second album, when I was still in high school. I was never really into GnR and perhaps I (wrongly) put these guys in the same shelf, so I guess I've never given them a fair chance. Gonna start digging into their catalogue after reading this.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Kudzu Guillotine

I'd say the Black Crowes were (and still are) the polar opposite of Guns n' Roses in nearly every way imaginable. Back in the early 90's stuff like Cinderella, Poison, Bon Jovi, White Lion, Ratt, etc. was everywhere and the Headbanger's Ball was enjoying it's heyday but there were several bands that stood out (at least to me) and those would be Nirvana, G n' R and the Black Crowes. I'm sure all of them got played on Headbanger's Ball (and in the case of Nirvana, 120 Minutes) but they were all very different and distinct bands. At least that's how I remember it.

Back around that same time, a few more rootsy type rock bands got a bit of short lived notoriety in the wake of the Black Crowes' success, the London Quireboys and The Four Horsemen. Some of Sass Jordan's early stuff also drew heavily from the same pool.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

My folks had the Sass Jordan album when I was a kid. I rediscovered it a couple years ago and as I threw it on for the first time in over a decade all I could think of "Make You a Believer" is "God, this sounds like a Rich Robinson riff".

Kudzu Guillotine

She's still out there touring and releasing new records. Her new band is called S.U.N.

WSPDBT

Post by WSPDBT »

the black crowes can do almost no wrong in my book, the are by far my favorite band. i have seen them twice and they were face melting. i'll be buying their new vinyl and seeing them on the road soon.
The Dude Abides

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:She's still out there touring and releasing new records. Her new band is called S.U.N.

I'll have to look into that. "Racine" is a fun album.

Tony333

Post by Tony333 »

It is nice to see that I am not alone in my love for the Crowes,followed closely by DBT of course. I have seen them 21 times and it is never the same and never gets old. I cannot think of a bad show that i have been too. I have seen them in 4 different states and D.C. and am about to see them again this April, twice. Would love to see another BC/ DBT tour, that would make me extra exttra HAPPY!!!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kind of an ignominious end for a seminal band. It's been clear from reading everything Chris Robinson has said that he considers CRB his artistic work and if the Black Crowes got back together it would be for the money. Now he's made his play and they're done. CRB were fun live but not quite my thing (these days) but Rich Robinson's record from 2014 is fantastic. Time marches on.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved