Artist Of The Week 2/10/13; The Black Crowes

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

walthers

Re: Artist Of The Week 2/10/13; The Black Crowes

Post by walthers »

Yep, I saw the announcement this morning and then about an hour later tickets went on sale. I have been a Black Crowes fan for 30 years but no way I would pay what they are asking for per ticket. I supposed the GA at Red Rocks are not too bad but the way they have the ticket prices set up is pretty insulting for what really is a Robinson Brothers tour.

With that said, if they can complete the tour I will be very surprised. Maybe I am just a tainted at the moment because I just finished Gorman's book (which is really a great read if you have any interest in the Crowes) but with everything I know from their past tours, interviews, ect. I just don't see them lasting an entire summer tour. Watching the Howard Stern interview gave a pretty good indication that they are not pleased to be around one another, regardless if Chris really has been seeing therapist and is the peace loving hippie he portrays himself to be. Time will tell, with them being backed by Live Nation I think it's pretty clear they know what they will be paid, regardless of ticket sales, just could be embarrassing if they are playing to some half full arenas because the fan base is just not there.

Last thing, I continue to see people refer to some of these venues as "sheds", can someone please enlighten me as to what the hell that means???? Please and thank you.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

walthers wrote:Yep, I saw the announcement this morning and then about an hour later tickets went on sale. I have been a Black Crowes fan for 30 years but no way I would pay what they are asking for per ticket. I supposed the GA at Red Rocks are not too bad but the way they have the ticket prices set up is pretty insulting for what really is a Robinson Brothers tour.

With that said, if they can complete the tour I will be very surprised. Maybe I am just a tainted at the moment because I just finished Gorman's book (which is really a great read if you have any interest in the Crowes) but with everything I know from their past tours, interviews, ect. I just don't see them lasting an entire summer tour. Watching the Howard Stern interview gave a pretty good indication that they are not pleased to be around one another, regardless if Chris really has been seeing therapist and is the peace loving hippie he portrays himself to be. Time will tell, with them being backed by Live Nation I think it's pretty clear they know what they will be paid, regardless of ticket sales, just could be embarrassing if they are playing to some half full arenas because the fan base is just not there.

Last thing, I continue to see people refer to some of these venues as "sheds", can someone please enlighten me as to what the hell that means???? Please and thank you.
Sheds are amphitheaters, more specifically ones with a roof like Merriweather Post, Alpine Valley, Concord Pav., Shoreline et al.

Funny you mentioned whether they'll complete the tour: just an hour ago I asked a friend what the over/under for shows they actually play before bailing will be :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

walthers

Post by walthers »

OK, that makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

Yeah, the more I think about it, I just don't see it going the full tour. Anyone hoping to catch them better go early!

whatwouldcooleydo?

walthers wrote:OK, that makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

have to pass. just too blatant a cash grab & the tickets are really expensive. the local shed (btw the reserved seats are covered, lawn GA not) is a total pain in the ass to get in & out of. refuse to go there although there is a very small list of artists i would break that for. the crowes ain't one of them. crappy reserved seats were as much as i paid for second row sturgill simpson tickets. nuff said...

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh wrote:the local shed (btw the reserved seats are covered, lawn GA not)
I've never been to a shed/amphitheater that had a covered lawn, don't know if such a thing exists.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
chuckrh wrote:the local shed (btw the reserved seats are covered, lawn GA not)
I've never been to a shed/amphitheater that had a covered lawn, don't know if such a thing exists.
was trying to clarify shed for earlier post in my befuddled way. thought i saw a wabbitt...

whatwouldcooleydo?

warmest holiday wishes from those bastions of brotherly love and functional families

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

live nation is running a 30% off sale on black crowes tickets for black friday. i think the applicable term is "soft sales"

roland

Post by roland »

chuckrh wrote:live nation is running a 30% off sale on black crowes tickets for black friday. i think the applicable term is "soft sales"
Surprise, surprise. I've seen TBC over 10 times, with about 4 configurations, but without Gorman and shame in ticket pricing, it's a hard pass here. I prefer to think of them as a great band that self-destructed and went away forever.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Bull Moose Records might (or might not) have copies of Before the Frost... Until the Freeze on vinyl.

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/1712863/bla ... -until-the
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

walthers

Post by walthers »

I clicked on the link. That’s a very odd way to try and sell records.

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

That record is so sick, so glad they reissued it.

Really, REALLY want a By Your Side reissue.
Prob my favorite from them and arguably their most underrated & underappreciated record.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

WarHenRecords wrote:That record is so sick, so glad they reissued it.

Prob my favorite from them and arguably their most underrated & underappreciated record.
Never got into By Your Side. Went back to it 10 yrs. after it came out and still felt underwhelmed. It's my least favorite Crowes album. Lions is to me their most underrated album- just love the rawness of it. Also think Amorica deserves more praise as well- when that came out, I finally became a Crowes fan (Moneymaker and Southern Harmony didn't do it as I was too much of a metalhead in the early 90's! :geek: )

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

211poundsofpork wrote:
WarHenRecords wrote:That record is so sick, so glad they reissued it.

Never got into By Your Side. Went back to it 10 yrs. after it came out and still felt underwhelmed. It's my least favorite Crowes album. Lions is to me their most underrated album- just love the rawness of it. Also think Amorica deserves more praise as well- when that came out, I finally became a Crowes fan (Moneymaker and Southern Harmony didn't do it as I was too much of a metalhead in the early 90's! :geek: )
the metal is a young man's game!

cortez the killer

walthers wrote:I clicked on the link. That’s a very odd way to try and sell records.
We're trying to get copies of this. No promises. Your order may not fill. One per customer. Any orders over that will be cancelled. Very limited. May not fill. Did I mention that this may not fill? It may not.
:lol:

Bull Moose Records. . . . Maineacs through & through.
- DPM

cortez the killer

It filled. 8-)
- DPM

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

cortez the killer wrote:It filled. 8-)
Picked one up myself. 8-)
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

cortez the killer

bovine knievel wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:It filled. 8-)
Picked one up myself. 8-)
Excited to have this on vinyl (as I'm sure you are, too).
- DPM

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Well I reckon we all knew this was going to happen.

https://jambands.com/news/2020/05/20/th ... s-to-2021/

I'm surprised that the brothers think they can pull off the European leg this fall.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Howlinwolf wrote:Well I reckon we all knew this was going to happen.

https://jambands.com/news/2020/05/20/th ... s-to-2021/

I'm surprised that the brothers think they can pull off the European leg this fall.
I'll bet $50 they get mad at each other and cancel before they ever play a US show.

Then again, they probably need the money.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Ha right on Iowan - yea they need the money that is for sure.

While we all wait for that to go down, the brothers are doing a streaming gig this Saturday at 8 EST. Now I wonder if this is free or we have to pay for it.

https://jambands.com/news/2020/05/26/th ... 985ee1f6c5

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

well I don't know about anyone else, I tried to click this stream and it took me to the Dead & Co gig from the Gorge.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Howlinwolf wrote:well I don't know about anyone else, I tried to click this stream and it took me to the Dead & Co gig from the Gorge.
No-showing their own stream?

Classic Robinsons :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Mark Kemp, author of Dixie Lullaby, takes us back in time with this interview he did with Chris Robinson for LA Weekly in 1992.

http://dailykemp.com/2022/03/17/the-bla ... 3iFII7v9Hg

Kudzu Guillotine

This looks and sounds promising. The 1972 EP is due in early May.

Kudzu Guillotine

Black Crowes on Jimmy Kimmel Live last night performing this Temptations cover from their new 1972 EP which is out tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/rwOYwWPyrxk

Kudzu Guillotine

In this show from earlier this week at the Whiskey A Go Go the Crowes perform songs from their new 1972 EP followed by a set of songs from some of their earlier albums.

https://youtu.be/rC7ZM7hM-eg

Kudzu Guillotine

From The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion that was released 30 years ago today. This was recorded on the High as the Moon tour in Germany in November 1992.

https://youtu.be/S87lUX_CI2Q