Artist Of The Week 2/10/13; The Black Crowes

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: Artist Of The Week 2/10/13; The Black Crowes

Post by Iowan »

I give it 5 years before they're back on the road together. No matter what, the Robinson brothers can't quit each other, in a professional sense.

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

The Warpaint and Before The Frost iteration of the band was just phenomenal. Not a bad note to leave off on.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

StevieRay wrote:The Warpaint and Before The Frost iteration of the band was just phenomenal. Not a bad note to leave off on.

Agreed. I saw them just before Before The Frost's release in '09 and it remains one of the best shows I've seen.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

StevieRay wrote:The Warpaint and Before The Frost iteration of the band was just phenomenal. Not a bad note to leave off on.

I agree with half of that. I didn't care for Warpaint despite many, many tries. I loved Before the Frost though and Croweology was great fun.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Can't be a lucrative reunion tour w/out a breakup, so the first half is accomplished.

Talk about tmi, I don't feel any better off knowing the economics of the break up (or to be fair, one side of the argument).

Surprisingly enough I agree w/ TC re Warpaint & Frost.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I guess the lesson as always is Chris Robinson is an asshole.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Surprisingly enough I agree w/ TC re Warpaint & Frost.

:shock:

and the cosmic fabric tears ever so slightly... :lol:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

This really doesn't worry me. It kind of just made me roll my eyes. They'll be back. They always are.

I actually like War Paint. Far from my favorite of theirs but I think it's good. It has some songs I really like. I can crank Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution any time and love it.

Until they get back together there will be some cool spinoff/side project type stuff that will be enjoyable.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Rocky wrote:I guess the lesson as always is Chris Robinson is an asshole.

Lol. Well if a guy can let Kate Hudson slip through his fingers...
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Yeah, this is sad news. Though I am sold on the last Crowes keyboardist Adam MacDougall, I really enjoyed what Harsch brought to the Crowes in the 90's (see versions of "Thorn in My Pride" for examples). "Tis a shame this news comes on the heels of the recently announced Magpie Salute show in January.

Clams

Post by Clams »

25th anniversary of the Southern Harmony...

The Black Crowes and the making of The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion

http://teamrock.com/feature/2017-05-12/ ... -companion
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks for posting the link Clams. Good read. I suppose that is their best record.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

211poundsofpork

Goofy things afoot in Connecticut over the weekend. Just noticed that a bunch of Black Crowes played the Warehouse in Fairfield over the weekend- just different nights. The Magpie Salute, Friday. CRB, Sat.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:I remember being in a rainy parking lot on a Sunday night the first time I heard Jealous Again (or was it Twice as Hard?) and thinking "Holy Shit... either the Stones just put out a really good new song or there's a great new band to check out!" I was so sick of all that Hair Metal and Jeff Lynne soft rock that was so popular back then and it was great to hear some real rock and roll for a change (I felt the same way about GnR back then too). I was really into the Crowes for a while (I saw them do a smoking hot show at the Tower Theater just after Southern Harmony came out) but I confess to falling off the bandwagon from about the mid 90's on. But they are a great rock band - definitely one of the best from 1990 on. They jumped the shark when Chris Robinson hooked up with Kate Hudson - she was way too Hollywood for a band like that. Great job, Cole Younger.
I was digging back through this thread after consuming the Steve Gorman book.

He was extremely complimentary of Kate Hudson. He gives her a lot of credit for keeping Chris (and thus the band) on track in the late 90's early 00's (in terms of not falling apart or doing as many self destructive things). You can tell that he genuinely enjoyed her presence and has a lot of respect for. He specifically takes a shot at the narrative that she was some kind of divisive Yoko Ono style presence .

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Iowan wrote:
Clams wrote:I remember being in a rainy parking lot on a Sunday night the first time I heard Jealous Again (or was it Twice as Hard?) and thinking "Holy Shit... either the Stones just put out a really good new song or there's a great new band to check out!" I was so sick of all that Hair Metal and Jeff Lynne soft rock that was so popular back then and it was great to hear some real rock and roll for a change (I felt the same way about GnR back then too). I was really into the Crowes for a while (I saw them do a smoking hot show at the Tower Theater just after Southern Harmony came out) but I confess to falling off the bandwagon from about the mid 90's on. But they are a great rock band - definitely one of the best from 1990 on. They jumped the shark when Chris Robinson hooked up with Kate Hudson - she was way too Hollywood for a band like that. Great job, Cole Younger.

He was extremely complimentary of Kate Hudson. He gives her a lot of credit for keeping Chris (and thus the band) on track in the late 90's early 00's (in terms of not falling apart or doing as many self destructive things). You can tell that he genuinely enjoyed her presence and has a lot of respect for. He specifically takes a shot at the narrative that she was some kind of divisive Yoko Ono style presence .
loved how Gorman tells of the band taking bets on the over/under for their marriage at the actual wedding and how Kurt Russell got in on the action :lol: Other than Robert Plant, Kate and Goldie/Kurt got perhaps the best treatment in the book. They seemed like naturally decent, real people

Also, at least in my copy, it says Yoko One instead of Ono. The copy-editor in me never dies
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Iowan wrote:

loved how Gorman tells of the band taking bets on the over/under for their marriage at the actual wedding and how Kurt Russell got in on the action :lol: Other than Robert Plant, Kate and Goldie/Kurt got perhaps the best treatment in the book. They seemed like naturally decent, real people

Also, at least in my copy, it says Yoko One instead of Ono. The copy-editor in me never dies
Yeah, that was a pretty funny anecdote. And I definitely agree that all those folks came off extremely likeable.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image
That reminds me of possibly the best exchange in the book.

Rich: You spend more on pot than most of our fans make in a year.

Chris: No I don't.

Gorman: How much do you spend a year on pot?

Chris: I dunno... $100K?

whatwouldcooleydo?

211poundsofpork

I heard about this a short while ago. Wish he would be in it if they do. Always liked him in the band- a steady eddie if you will. Maybe they get Tony Leone who was the CRB drummer. Who does keys would be interesting...

roland

Post by roland »

Steve was on Bill Burr's podcast yesterday telling stories and promoting the book. Good listen. Haven't read his book yet, but it's on the Amazon wishlist.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Iowan wrote:I give it 5 years before they're back on the road together. No matter what, the Robinson brothers can't quit each other, in a professional sense.
Just made it.

whatwouldcooleydo?

211poundsofpork wrote:I heard about this a short while ago. Wish he would be in it if they do. Always liked him in the band- a steady eddie if you will. Maybe they get Tony Leone who was the CRB drummer. Who does keys would be interesting...
My prediction is hired guns, likely non-name players who won’t get paid much. At this point everyone knows what working with the brothers is like, so why would anyone not totally desperate for any gig take the job?

This all makes me sad

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:
That reminds me of possibly the best exchange in the book.

Rich: You spend more on pot than most of our fans make in a year.

Chris: No I don't.

Gorman: How much do you spend a year on pot?

Chris: I dunno... $100K?
Sorry I missed this when you posted it. Classic.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

love this song!

whatwouldcooleydo?

was there for this whole run. This was the last show before the hiatus, though the mini-Europe run was announced later. Around the 6 minute mark Chris starts handing out all kinds of stuff from the stage to the audience- at 6:29 or so mark he tosses those yellow shakers into the crowd and they came right to me..... except some big dude literally crushed me to get them. It was a hit Jack Tatum would be proud of :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

the dope ran out, they're doing it, 2020 tour with, as I predicted, a bunch of hired guns to round out the band. Big venues, places of the size they haven't played since the 2006 tour with DBT & Robert Randolph, and expensive as fuck tickets (I clicked on TM for the Austin show and the sweet floor seats were over $300). Would imagine it will take a multiple act bill to draw enough people to fill sheds. And I wonder who is gonna go to this- virtually every hardcore Crowes fan I know has said a big HELL NO! to this (of course many of these folks will surely backslide and end up going).

https://www.jambase.com/article/black-c ... union-tour

here's two guys who looked thrilled to be in the same place :roll: :roll: :roll: